• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
From Brawl, I would really like to have Summit, New Pork City, and Hanenbow back. Summit for ICies memories, NPC because Mother and 8 Player smash fan, and Hanenbow because I just always liked it.

From Melee, it would HAVE to be Fourside. No question. Also, Brinstar Depths would be hella cool just for the HD Kraid.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
I'm content with the returning stages from 64 and Brawl. From Melee, I would have loved to see PS1 and Fourside return too.

GuffMcGufferson

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3869-7120-5996
If we were to have a new stage (besides Umbra Clock Tower) by the time Bayonetta and Corrin are released, I would love to see a Tetris themed stage.
As for returning stages, maybe Kongo Jungle or Yoshi's Story from Melee, and New Pork City from Brawl.
Similar to what they did with the Duck Hunt stage, maybe they could put in Corneria and Yoshi's Island from the 3DS version onto the Wii U.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
So, almost four years after the creation of this thread, and many months of speculation, are your hearts content with what stages we've got? I read many expectations and ideas on this thread that sound way cooler and greater than the final results. It makes me wish that the games' stages seemed less repetitive in their core designs, features and structures. Everything that's not included in the lists below (with the exception of BF, FD and the returning stages) would, had I been Sakurai, have gone to waste to the profit of more awesome stage ideas submitted by my fellow SmashBoards members. So basically, I am listing the stages that satisfy me to this day in Sm4sh.

Wii U:

Orbital Gate Assault (a somewhat playable but hectic mess-)
Pilotwings
Boxing Ring
Pyrosphere
I don't like the fact of beating Ridley for him to end up as your sidekick for a while. I would have wished for a smoother, fluid...er? more fluid?, prettier boss battle with increased difficulty (I must admit I loved how Ridley had a big stamina though), which would result in a spectacular death sequence/explosion/him falling off the stage via the background before sinking in the lava below, etc. Then again, boss battles have disappointed me in this game, I preferred Brawl's over these. But who cares- it's friggin' Ridley!
Super Mario Maker (okay don't hit me for this I SWEAR DON'T YOU HIT ME ROBERT), Umbra Clock Tower and Pac-Land.
Also Town and City because I absolutely love its simple yet effective design.

3DS:

Gerudo Valley
Spirit Train
Rainbow Road (with more music tracks :/)
Magicant
Balloon Fight

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Orbital Gate Assault isn't a stage I play on often, but I am very glad it's there.

I had the biggest :grin: when that stage got revealed.

Last edited:

MitchBerryCrunch

Smash Cadet
Can anyone explain to me why Delfino Plaza and Halberd were banned at Genesis 3? I can understand Castle Siege being banned because of the walk off ledges part and the overall strangeness of it but the other two being banned seems more debatable. I recall some talk about the occasional low ceilings of Delfino being an issue because of some of the crazy off the top kill moves in Smash Wii u but I didn't think that would cause it to be ban worthy. As for Halberd I have no guess as to why it would be banned. Thoughts, anyone?

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
Can anyone explain to me why Delfino Plaza and Halberd were banned at Genesis 3? I can understand Castle Siege being banned because of the walk off ledges part and the overall strangeness of it but the other two being banned seems more debatable. I recall some talk about the occasional low ceilings of Delfino being an issue because of some of the crazy off the top kill moves in Smash Wii u but I didn't think that would cause it to be ban worthy. As for Halberd I have no guess as to why it would be banned. Thoughts, anyone?
Delfino has walk-offs & Halberd has hazards, plain & simple.

MitchBerryCrunch

Smash Cadet
User was warned for this post
If it's that simple then why were they legal from 2008-2015?

Hint: The walk offs are temporary and avoidable and the hazards are predictable and almost never effect the outcome of a game

Next time use your little brain a bit and come up with a worthwhile post that contributes to discussion, g'bye

Last edited by a moderator:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Pyrosphere
I don't like the fact of beating Ridley for him to end up as your sidekick for a while. I would have wished for a smoother, fluid...er? more fluid?, prettier boss battle with increased difficulty (I must admit I loved how Ridley had a big stamina though), which would result in a spectacular death sequence/explosion/him falling off the stage via the background before sinking in the lava below, etc. Then again, boss battles have disappointed me in this game, I preferred Brawl's over these. But who cares- it's friggin' Ridley!
Ridley shouldn't be a boss. Pyrosphere should be bossless and Ridley should be a stage. As in, you fight on his back as he flies through lava tubes, shifting his wings and changing angle a bit as he goes. That would make a far more interesting stage than Lylat Cruise with a similar interesting mechanic to it while remaining plain enough to have a fair fight. Plus it would really get his size across.

AJb1205

Smash Cadet
NNID
AJb1205
I hope they make a stage based on Lucas's homeland Nowhere islands. That'd be cool.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Welp, Umbra Clock Tower is definitely legal. No hazards, good size, good stage. :4ganondorf:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I've seen that some platforms in the Umbra Clock Tower stage go past the top blast line, does it kill anyone who's on them when they disappear (like Master Hand's cards that go upright)? I hope not, but even if they do I suppose it may not be a deal breaker if Town and City is legal with its platforms that go beyond the side blast line quickly.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I've seen that some platforms in the Umbra Clock Tower stage go past the top blast line, does it kill anyone who's on them when they disappear (like Master Hand's cards that go upright)? I hope not, but even if they do I suppose it may not be a deal breaker if Town and City is legal with its platforms that go beyond the side blast line quickly.
The platforms on Kalos KO fighters when they go off the top of the screen, so I'd expect the same to happen here.

TheBlackLuffy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBlackLuffy
Switch FC
8040 1413 9929
I've gotta say the Wii U has possible my favorite stages.

First off it has my Classic Favorite stages:

Peach's Castle 64
Dreamland 64
Hyrule Castle 64

All fantastic stages.

We also have some new stages that are equally fun to play on:

The Great Cave Offensive: Possibly my favorite New Stages hands down. It's hilarious to fight on. Always a blast (literally).

Super Mario Maker: Running as my 2nd favorite new stage. It's creativity leaves for fun free for alls. LEGALIZE MARIO MAKER!!!

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
4 player free-for-all with jetpacks on Orbital Gate Assault is a fun casual time.

Cam Mills

Smash Rookie
I really want to see Corneria (Starfox stage) from Melee & Brawl for SSB Wii U. Is there a way to get a petition going to bring certain old maps to the Wii U? Do SSB admins monitor these forums and decide which maps to release to DLC? PLEASE PUT CORNERIA for DLC. Don't care how much $

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I really want to see Corneria (Starfox stage) from Melee & Brawl for SSB Wii U. Is there a way to get a petition going to bring certain old maps to the Wii U? Do SSB admins monitor these forums and decide which maps to release to DLC? PLEASE PUT CORNERIA for DLC. Don't care how much $
Unfortunately this is the last of the DLC content. There won't be any new stages.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Is that confirmed? Where did you read that?
It's been confirmed by Sakurai himself since the special live broadcast showcasing Corrin and Bayonetta. Plus he also said in other sources that Smash DLC was going to its end. There's basically nothing more coming at this point.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I still think the Streetfighter stage should have been more symmetrical and more representative of its original series. I was actually hoping for something like a walled FD that would use vertical KOs only to make percentage more important than "gimping" and thus more closely resemble the HP system.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I still think the Streetfighter stage should have been more symmetrical and more representative of its original series. I was actually hoping for something like a walled FD that would use vertical KOs only to make percentage more important than "gimping" and thus more closely resemble the HP system.
I made a custom stage like that. :p

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
Opinions about Umbral Clock Tower?

I'd like this stage to be legal for sure. People are really sensitive with stages for sure, and some are even screaming for the banhammer when a single solid platform levitates over the main stage for some seconds.

The platforms that appears aren't there for long, so I can't see this "jank" argument really holding that much ground. This stage really spices it up, and I like it a lot. The only thing I find annoying is the shaking.

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
I'd like it to be legal, but the walkoffs on the side and the platform underneath are the only things holding it back for other people. Both of them mean a full free limit for cloud which is annoying...

DemonRin

Smash Cadet
NNID
DemonRin
3DS FC
0173-1428-8528
Switch FC
SW-1795-2519-1884
I see the point about the walkoffs and potentials for Camping, but overall it REALLY doesn't feel bad. I'd love to see it competitively viable. Nothing completely broken ever flies out and the walkoffs aren't there for long enough to be a real issue I don't think...

Also, I know this was the "Last" batch of DLC, so I know it's a pipedream at this point, but I would have loved if we had gotten Fourside, New Pork City, and Magicant in the Wii U version...

Oh well, I'll just go over into the corner with the other Mother fans and weep softly.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
This has probably been asked before, is a stupid question, or both, but...why isn't Miiverse legal? It feels very similar to Battlefield.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
It's not in tournaments because it's the exact same as Battlefield -- having both would be redundant.
If it's the exact same besides being different visually and having different music, wouldn't that be more of a reason to allow it? They're the same after all...

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
If it's the exact same besides being different visually and having different music, wouldn't that be more of a reason to allow it? They're the same after all...
I would suppose the only real difference is that there is a slight chance to get pineapple'd if recovering low. Even still, there would probably be some players that might wind up complaining about all the Miiverse posts going on in the background, but ultimately if the tournament hosts think it's redundant then who's to argue, really?

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I would suppose the only real difference is that there is a slight chance to get pineapple'd if recovering low. Even still, there would probably be some players that might wind up complaining about all the Miiverse posts going on in the background, but ultimately if the tournament hosts think it's redundant then who's to argue, really?
Miiverse posts don't show up if you aren't connected to Wi-Fi. I'm assuming most set ups are brought from outside at offline tournaments.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
There's no reason to allow both Miiverse and Battlefield; they're the exact same in terms of platform layout and the like (pretty much all that matters gameplay-wise), so to avoid redundancy, TOs often pick one of them. Battlefield, I imagine, often wins out because it has nicer visuals, no distracting Miiverse posts, is more "iconic" to the Smash series, and has better, moe forgiving ledges.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
There's no reason to allow both Miiverse and Battlefield; they're the exact same in terms of platform layout and the like (pretty much all that matters gameplay-wise), so to avoid redundancy, TOs often pick one of them. Battlefield, I imagine, often wins out because it has nicer visuals, no distracting Miiverse posts, is more "iconic" to the Smash series, and has better, moe forgiving ledges.
As I said, Miiverse won't show posts if the Wii U isn't connected online for offline tournaments. I really doubt tournaments will set up Wi-Fi on set ups brought from outside, so that's only a real issue for online tournaments. And even if Miiverse posts are the reason it's banned, I think the ducks on the Duck Hunt stage are more distracting and that's not banned. I don't think visuals should matter in whether a stage is banned. Does ledges not count as part of the layout?

You make a good point in that it's more iconic, but if they are the exact same in layout and lack of hazards, I don't see why Miiverse should be banned.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
As I said, Miiverse won't show posts if the Wii U isn't connected online for offline tournaments. I really doubt tournaments will set up Wi-Fi on set ups brought from outside, so that's only a real issue for online tournaments. And even if Miiverse posts are the reason it's banned, I think the ducks on the Duck Hunt stage are more distracting and that's not banned. I don't think visuals should matter in whether a stage is banned. Does ledges not count as part of the layout?

You make a good point in that it's more iconic, but if they are the exact same in layout and lack of hazards, I don't see why Miiverse should be banned.
The more I think about it, the more I tend to think it doesn't really matter which is picked - if they have the same upper stage layout, then going between Battlefield and Miiverse wouldn't be strategic like certain counterpicking strategies are, so they pick the prettier one.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
The more I think about it, the more I tend to think it doesn't really matter which is picked - if they have the same upper stage layout, then going between Battlefield and Miiverse wouldn't be strategic like certain counterpicking strategies are, so they pick the prettier one.
That's why I think Miiverse should be allowed if people want a change of scenery. I know I get tired of seeing Smashville and Town and City in every video. I can understand banning Miiverse in online tournaments though because of the messages. Similarly I think Duck Hunt should be banned because I get distracted by the ducks. They make me want to hit them instead of other characters...

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
That's why I think Miiverse should be allowed if people want a change of scenery. I know I get tired of seeing Smashville and Town and City in every video. I can understand banning Miiverse in online tournaments though because of the messages. Similarly I think Duck Hunt should be banned because I get distracted by the ducks. They make me want to hit them instead of other characters...
The reason the exact similarity is a problem is based on principles of stage striking. Lets say someone has a character who's weak on battlefield and they have one ban. They'll ban BF and get stuck with Miiverse, or they'll ban Miiverse and get stuck with BF. One could argue two bans are warranted then but that would make other stages irrelevant.

I agree that thematically smashville is kinda dry, but usually the competition is exciting enough to make up for it.

I wouldn't mind banning Duck Hunt though, it's really unfair to the links especially because boomerangs put them in lag and one hitting a duck and coming back immediately is random and unfair.

I also get distracted by the ducks too :ganondorf:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
The reason the exact similarity is a problem is based on principles of stage striking. Lets say someone has a character who's weak on battlefield and they have one ban. They'll ban BF and get stuck with Miiverse, or they'll ban Miiverse and get stuck with BF. One could argue two bans are warranted then but that would make other stages irrelevant.

I agree that thematically smashville is kinda dry, but usually the competition is exciting enough to make up for it.

I wouldn't mind banning Duck Hunt though, it's really unfair to the links especially because boomerangs put them in lag and one hitting a duck and coming back immediately is random and unfair.

I also get distracted by the ducks too :ganondorf:
And stage striking was the answer I was looking for. It still makes me wonder if Battlefield is allowed to be substituted with Miiverse though.

nerdbot

Smash Rookie
I'm playing Doshin the Giant for the first time. I was a Sega kid growing up and Melee was largely my introduction to Nintendo games, so the trophies for weird obscure characters always had this sense of mystique to me, I wanted to play all those games. Next up is probably Cubivore, haha. Smash 4 got better with the trophies, but I was always disappointed with Brawl's after how varied and weird Melee's trophies were, it was like a little history lesson.

Anyway, I can't help but wish for a Doshin the Giant stage in Smash. I imagine like a mountaintop overlooking a village; Doshin appears to raise mountains and create more battleground and Jashin appears to destroy it, and when the giant isn't messing with the stage he's in the background helping or terrorizing the village.

Param went out of business, I wonder who has the rights to Doshin? It might not be possible to reference the character anymore.

And stage striking was the answer I was looking for. It still makes me wonder if Battlefield is allowed to be substituted with Miiverse though.
In the EVO 2016 ruleset, Miiverse is listed in brackets next to Battlefield, so I was under the impression that it was legal as an alternative to BF (like how a lot of non-sponsored tourneys do omega stages)

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Doshin you say? Well it just so happens I won an old stage design contest with him:

Barudo Shores
Game of Origin: Doshin The Giant
Starting Layout:
Description: Unlike my past designs, Barudo Shores has no fixed pattern to it. It starts as a hill, greenery in the centre making way for sand towards its edges. Barudo starts out as a walk off stage, in a way, with the outer edges of the hill extending down to the bottom blast line. The inconsistent gradient of the stage, however, will make it very difficult to chaingrab off these edges and, as for camping, that too can be solved via the stage's unique gimmick.
Residing in the middle is our good friend the love giant. Doshin will, after 5 seconds, raise or lower the ground beneath him, as indicated by his green area of effect in the image above. This will alter the stage's height at a fairly gentle pace and will do so by roughly a third of a stagebuilder block, smoothing the edges slightly if necessary. His choice of raising or lowering is random but not entirely so. It will be weighted by the average height of the stage section in question, with a 50/50 chance only occurring when the ground is exactly centred between the bottom blast zone and the blue upper limit.
By hitting Doshin with a non-grab move, he may be caused to move away from his attacker, placing his new area of effect exactly at the edge of the old one. The area of the stage with ground is exactly 5 such areas wide and he may not be made to move from a new location before he has altered the ground height atleast once there. This means he can be pushed to the edges to raise the floor away from the blast zones without having to get too close to anyone hoping for a cheap kill.
In addition to this, Doshin can be pushed past the limits of the stage's ground. In this scenario, he will go storming off the nearest side of the screen and fly back on as the devilish hate giant, Jashin, fireballing the horizontal locations marked in orange above.
Doshin will not obstruct movement directly but, by playing with the stage height, he may well create some very interesting situations.
The bottom blast zone is made to look like the sea from which Doshin emerged in his first game.

Overview: A simple stage with a simple gimmick that provides the solutions to the most glaring of its inherent problems. This stage is unlikely to be a tournament staple but will involve much tactical gameplay between friends.

Unlockable: Yes
Make ten stages in the stage builder.
Music:
Yellow Giant (Doshin the Giant)
Festival Music (Doshin the Giant)
Grass Fumes (Doshin the Giant)
Yellow Giant Reprise (Doshin the Giant)
Time (Doshin the Giant)
End Titles (Doshin the Giant)

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
I am hoping for each stage to get an "alpha" form. This would provide a large variety of anodyne stages, instead of just the Omega stage layout.
I recently posted a description and image of the alpha form of each stage, which can be seen here.
Sounds like a cool idea!

Top Bottom