• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Creation/Idea Thread - I guess this is a Stage Builder Thread now

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Awesome, but needs more of Samus' crashed gunship in the background.
I thought about that too lol

It'd be strange to have Samus' gunship crash into Samus' gunship if Ridley's final smash is used tho. But I guess in a game where Robin's Chrom can beat up a regular Chrom and a Mii Chrom who knows

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So with those rumors of Stage Builder coming back floating around I have to ask.

Being able to assign more than one music track to a custom made Smash stage and having various background and pieces and whatnot based on games from Nintendo (and possibly represented 3rd party) franchises.

Yay or Nay?

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
So with those rumors of Stage Builder coming back floating around I have to ask.

Being able to assign more than one music track to a custom made Smash stage and having various background and pieces and whatnot based on games from Nintendo (and possibly represented 3rd party) franchises.

Yay or Nay?
Definitely yay. Also I hope the textures and whatnot aren't locked to a certain background like in Smash 4. It'd be fun to mix and match them.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

Yay or Nay?
Hell yes.

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
[so, uh, spoilers for anyone who hasn't heard the news, but...]

WE IN, BOYS! WE DID IT! THEY LEAKED IT!

This calls for a celebratory stage idea!

--------------------------

So I looked back through my posts, and I realized that I don't think I ever posted this particular stage... which is shocking to me, because it definitely seems like a stage I would have posted before now. If it does look familiar, feel free to call me out for being a moron, but in the meantime, I think it's the perfect stage to celebrate the official (well, maybe not official, but... certainly undeniable) confirmation of Stage Builder!

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Bob-omb Battlefield!

Ah, how I've missed you, my crappy MSPaint drawings.

Name of Stage:
Bob-omb Battlefield

Game of Origin:
Super Mario 64

Description of Stage:
This stage takes place on a cross-section view of Mario 64's famous first level, with the playable area spanning pretty much the entirety of the battlefield! The stage is a walk-off, limiting itself to the upper parts of the map, with exception to the area below the bridge - which forms a pit - and the island in the sky - which forms a nice aerial platform. Aesthetically, you'll see goombas and bob-ombs walking about the map, just minding their own business.

Gimmicks and Hazards of the Stage:
First of all, that bridge across the gap? It's not just a semi-solid platform. No no, just like in the original game, standing on that bridge will cause it to tilt! be careful of where you stand, or you might slip down below!

But of course, there's a far more obvious threat on this stage than a simple flipping bridge... and that's the Chain Chomp! Yes, as the match goes on, ol' chompy will idly hop about in his little area. But every so often, he'll start to hop about more vigorously than normal. If he does, you better run far away, because a moment later, POW! He'll lunge out of the background, smashing into anyone in front of him and dealing a whopping 25% damage and heavy knockback! Yikes!

Aside from that, though, there are no other hazards. So just... y'know, beware of Chomp.

Music:
Main Theme (Super Mario 64)
Koopa's Road (Super Mario 64)
Slider (Super Mario 64)
Cool Cool Mountain (Super Mario 64)
Princess Peach's Castle (Super Mario 64)
Metro Kingdom (Super Mario Odyssey)

I for one cannot wait to recreate this (and more!) in the coming weeks.

HYPE IT UP, MY FELLOW STAGE MAKERS

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
[so, uh, spoilers for anyone who hasn't heard the news, but...]

WE IN, BOYS! WE DID IT! THEY LEAKED IT!

This calls for a celebratory stage idea!

So I looked back through my posts, and I realized that I don't think I ever posted this particular stage... which is shocking to me, because it definitely seems like a stage I would have posted before now. If it does look familiar, feel free to call me out for being a moron, but in the meantime, I think it's the perfect stage to celebrate the official (well, maybe not official, but... certainly undeniable) confirmation of Stage Builder!

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Bob-omb Battlefield!

Ah, how I've missed you, my crappy MSPaint drawings.

Name of Stage:
Bob-omb Battlefield

Game of Origin:
Super Mario 64

Description of Stage:
This stage takes place on a cross-section view of Mario 64's famous first level, with the playable area spanning pretty much the entirety of the battlefield! The stage is a walk-off, limiting itself to the upper parts of the map, with exception to the area below the bridge - which forms a pit - and the island in the sky - which forms a nice aerial platform. Aesthetically, you'll see goombas and bob-ombs walking about the map, just minding their own business.

Gimmicks and Hazards of the Stage:
First of all, that bridge across the gap? It's not just a semi-solid platform. No no, just like in the original game, standing on that bridge will cause it to tilt! be careful of where you stand, or you might slip down below!

But of course, there's a far more obvious threat on this stage than a simple flipping bridge... and that's the Chain Chomp! Yes, as the match goes on, ol' chompy will idly hop about in his little area. But every so often, he'll start to hop about more vigorously than normal. If he does, you better run far away, because a moment later, POW! He'll lunge out of the background, smashing into anyone in front of him and dealing a whopping 25% damage and heavy knockback! Yikes!

Aside from that, though, there are no other hazards. So just... y'know, beware of Chomp.

Music:
Main Theme (Super Mario 64)
Koopa's Road (Super Mario 64)
Slider (Super Mario 64)
Cool Cool Mountain (Super Mario 64)
Princess Peach's Castle (Super Mario 64)
Metro Kingdom (Super Mario Odyssey)

I for one cannot wait to recreate this (and more!) in the coming weeks.

HYPE IT UP, MY FELLOW STAGE MAKERS
Yeah man if you could somehow affix a permanently present Assist Trophy and let it only go in specific spots? That would be way cool

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
It's been a while

Undertale
Waterfall
Waterfall.png
Waterfall is an area in Undertale, a 2015 RPG that was an almost instant hit. Waterfall is a midgame location, with beautiful scenery that contrasts very well with the armed soldier trying to kill you. The Smash incarnation of the stage is something of an amalgam of different parts of Undertale’s Waterfall. The main platform uses the standard type of rocks found in Waterfall, and the floating platforms resemble the bridges seen in the Undyne chase scenes. Waterfall has waterfalls that flow on both sides of the stage, but like the ones on Kongo Falls they’re a

background element and can’t be swam in. New Home can be seen in the distance. The stage is NOT pixel art, everything is updated to high quality 3D models.

The stage’s central gimmick are the Bridge Seeds. Bridge Seeds occasionally spawn like items do, out of the sky at random. They spawn about as often as items when set to “rare”. The way they spawn doesn’t consider them an item, meaning they spawn at the same regardless if no items or every item is activated. They can be picked up like items (they make the little squeak sound from Undetale upon being picked up). Unlike in Undertale, they are held in the hand instead of on the head. They act like standard items (such as the Pokeball and Smoke Ball), being able to be thrown around and replacing most imputs.

Bridge Seeds can’t hurt enemies, and if they touch the ground nothing happens. Pretty useless, right? No quite. If thrown down one of the sides of the stage, it blossoms and expands backwards, making a new platform! Bridge Seed Platforms are roughly one Training Mode Block tall and wide. They don’t have ledges, so they are mostly helpful for opponents launched upwards, not downwards. The small size makes it a poor camping place, as they can’t roll away or anything. After 45 seconds, the Bridge Seed Platform gets lost in the current and falls down. The Bridge seeds don’t spawn on the hazardless version of the stage. Rarely, upon selecting the stage, various parts of waterfall’s scenery spawn in the stage’s background (Echo Flowers, Sans’s sentry stand, and a vacant Dummy, among others). Pressing ZL and ZR puts this stage in “battle mode”. Everything but the fighters are in black and white. The textures of the parts of the stage are altered to make this look not terrible.

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
One stage I REALLY want to see:

WINTERS
(EarthBound)

The stage takes place right on the edge of Lake Tess, which takes up the left portion of the screen. On the right is solid walk-off ground with one of the Tessie-watcher's tents that can be stood on. The Bubble Monkey stands in the background watching, but eventually...

...the wind starts to blow and leaves float across the screen. The Bubble Monkey blows a bubble and floats up into the air and over the waters. Then, Tessie rises from the lake! Tessie's head and back function as platforms...that is, until she decides to leave. Tessie will swim off the screen, KO'ing anyone stupid enough to still be standing on her when she goes off-screen. A few seconds later, the Bubble Monkey floats back into the stage, and the cycle can repeat.

Battlefield and Final Destination versions of the stage float way up in the sky, where the ground below is seen at the same angle as EarthBound's gameplay. You are high up enough that you can even see Jeff's school in the distance!

Obviously, this stage would warrant the addition of a new Winters theme remix as well. And not the version that's just "Snowman."

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge

Yay or Nay?
I know I'm late (as usual :p)

Absolutely yay.
Stage Builder as a true 'sandbox' would be dope.
Actually, you could even use the background elements from other stages... after all, in the Omega and Battlefield forms of any stage, the backdrop has no real effect besides looking cool.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I love creative threads like these, i'd contribute if i wasn't so darn lazy :T

Also, ULTRA YAY for stage Builder.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
It's been a while

Undertale
Waterfall
View attachment 208085
Waterfall is an area in Undertale, a 2015 RPG that was an almost instant hit. Waterfall is a midgame location, with beautiful scenery that contrasts very well with the armed soldier trying to kill you. The Smash incarnation of the stage is something of an amalgam of different parts of Undertale’s Waterfall. The main platform uses the standard type of rocks found in Waterfall, and the floating platforms resemble the bridges seen in the Undyne chase scenes. Waterfall has waterfalls that flow on both sides of the stage, but like the ones on Kongo Falls they’re a

background element and can’t be swam in. New Home can be seen in the distance. The stage is NOT pixel art, everything is updated to high quality 3D models.

The stage’s central gimmick are the Bridge Seeds. Bridge Seeds occasionally spawn like items do, out of the sky at random. They spawn about as often as items when set to “rare”. The way they spawn doesn’t consider them an item, meaning they spawn at the same regardless if no items or every item is activated. They can be picked up like items (they make the little squeak sound from Undetale upon being picked up). Unlike in Undertale, they are held in the hand instead of on the head. They act like standard items (such as the Pokeball and Smoke Ball), being able to be thrown around and replacing most imputs.

Bridge Seeds can’t hurt enemies, and if they touch the ground nothing happens. Pretty useless, right? No quite. If thrown down one of the sides of the stage, it blossoms and expands backwards, making a new platform! Bridge Seed Platforms are roughly one Training Mode Block tall and wide. They don’t have ledges, so they are mostly helpful for opponents launched upwards, not downwards. The small size makes it a poor camping place, as they can’t roll away or anything. After 45 seconds, the Bridge Seed Platform gets lost in the current and falls down. The Bridge seeds don’t spawn on the hazardless version of the stage. Rarely, upon selecting the stage, various parts of waterfall’s scenery spawn in the stage’s background (Echo Flowers, Sans’s sentry stand, and a vacant Dummy, among others). Pressing ZL and ZR puts this stage in “battle mode”. Everything but the fighters are in black and white. The textures of the parts of the stage are altered to make this look not terrible.
I'd love to have anything Undertale in this game if for no other reason than the soundtrack

Dudes, the Persona stage looks incredible.

1555464603777.png

Aesthetically, it reminds me a lot of that Zero Escape stage that Sarki Soliloquy made during the contest

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
And Stage Builder is looking insanely amazing.
Stage builder looks like everything I ever hoped it would be, and I'm so frikkin' excited

I think I can *actually* make every stage I've ever designed in this version of the builder and I love it so much

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626

View attachment 209202

Aesthetically, it reminds me a lot of that Zero Escape stage that Sarki Soliloquy made during the contest
I thought this was some sort of leak and was wondering how this was allowed to be shown in these forums. Then I checked online and oh my god the announcement came out of nowhere.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
THAT STAGE CREATOR THO

I mean I'm not talented to make anything good with it, but I can't wait to keep an eye on this thread and see what you guys make!

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Yo, Stage Builder looks lit! I can't believe they added background and foreground elements; it's life-changing. Plus I can recreate all my Wii U stages and the ones I made for the Stage Competition. I cannot wait!

Last edited:

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
Not gonna do a full writeup for this one, but I thought I might give you all a sneak peak of the first stage I'm gonna be making once the stage builder drops later today:

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Outer Wall, from Cave Story!

I've made an Outer Wall stage before, but tbh it kinda sucked. This is the redemption I spent waaaay too long making. Platform-outlined version here.

No moving parts to this one - gonna pick a night/space background (Fountain of Dreams or Dracula's Castle, maybe? If those are available options), probably use the backmost layer for the clouds, and then hope everything looks good when it's layered together. I'm curious how much detail I'll be able to squeeze into the actual editor...

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
I'd love to have anything Undertale in this game if for no other reason than the soundtrack

View attachment 209202

dude i really dig that Persona stage! :D it's probably gonna be my favorite stage already

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not gonna do a full writeup for this one, but I thought I might give you all a sneak peak of the first stage I'm gonna be making once the stage builder drops later today:

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Outer Wall, from Cave Story!

I've made an Outer Wall stage before, but tbh it kinda sucked. This is the redemption I spent waaaay too long making. Platform-outlined version here.

No moving parts to this one - gonna pick a night/space background (Fountain of Dreams or Dracula's Castle, maybe? If those are available options), probably use the backmost layer for the clouds, and then hope everything looks good when it's layered together. I'm curious how much detail I'll be able to squeeze into the actual editor...
The first goal I aim to to accomplish with Stage Builder is to make a home stage for characters that lack one. Like how Bowser and Dr. Mario lack a stage that really fits them well enough in this regard or how there are too few Fire Emblem Stages for each FE character to have a home stage of their very own.

To that end, my first batch of stages will consist of:

Bowser's Castle (Bowser Home Stage)

Dr. Mario (Dr. Mario Home Stage)

Flames on a Blue Sea (Lucina Home Stage) (Idea received from the Smash 3DS/Wii U Stage Contest)

Ganon's Tower (Ganondorf Home Stage)

Castle Ostia (Roy Home Stage)

Mt. Silver (Pokemon Trainer Home Stage)

Gyromite (R.O.B. Home Stage) (Will probably base it heavily on TKOWL TKOWL 's version from the Ultimate Stage Contest because it's so good)

Endgame: Grima (Robin Home Stage)

Satorl Marsh (Shulk Home Stage) (I know Gaur Plain exists. But it sucks.)

Battle Harbor (Ken Home Stage)

Bottomless Canyon (Corrin Home Stage) (Not sure yet how much Inspiration I'll take from TKOWL'S version)

Wahoo World (Inkling Home Stage) (I know about Moray Towers. I'm just not a fan)

Dinner of Flames (Richter Home Stage)

Gangplank Galleon (King K. Rool Home Stage)

After that I've been thinking about trying things like re-creating as many of the winning stages from the Ultimate Stage Contest as possible. TKOWL's Golden Pyramid for example will be one of the first ones I make in this regard.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
(quote)

After that I've been thinking about trying things like re-creating as many of the winning stages from the Ultimate Stage Contest as possible. TKOWL's Golden Pyramid for example will be one of the first ones I make in this regard.
I considered doing that, but I think I'm gonna hold off on trying to recreate other people's submissions. If only because stage sharing exists, and I'd prefer to download those stages direct from their original creators (hint hint wink wink nudge nudge) than attempt to recreate them myself.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I considered doing that, but I think I'm gonna hold off on trying to recreate other people's submissions. If only because stage sharing exists, and I'd prefer to download those stages direct from their original creators (hint hint wink wink nudge nudge) than attempt to recreate them myself.
That.....is true. Now that you point that out I think I’ll do the same.

TKOWL

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I didn't even think about the fact that I can recreate the stages I made for the contest! This feature got even more exciting now!

Last edited:

Primid

Smash Apprentice
Definitely going to try to recreate some of my stages from the contest as well! It's pretty exciting, I never really thought I'd have the chance to play on them. Thank you Sakurai!

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
I made it through Communication Error Hell, guys

THE STAGES SHALL SOON FLOW

Edit: GOD DAMN IT YOU STILL CAN'T PLACE TERRAIN IN THE TOP PART OF THE MAP

well RIP Outer Wall then, guess Smash just couldn't resist crushing my dreams a bit.

Edit 2: Decided to recreate Castle Bleck instead. Level ID is 1C9BC1HL. Give it a look!

Last edited:

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but it seems appropriate:

I want to draw as much attention to this as I can: Platforms for custom stages are broken.

https://streamable.com/5zwjm

Credit: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...der_cannot_create_standard_platforms/el65n6w/

The small vertical sides act as solid terrain. You can tech on them, and they break projectiles.
To easily test this, just get Villager and use his Lloyd on the side of a platform. It will explode on the edge of the platform instead of going through it like a platform on Battlefield or Town & City would.

Just be clear, YES I've made the edges ungrab-able. And YES I drew a single line, not a rectangle. I've tried everything and no matter what I do there seems to be NO way to create a platform without this problem.

I love stage builder to death, I've spent hours creating alternatives to legal stages for my friends and I to play on. This oversight (assuming it is one) completely ruins the mode for me. Since you can tech on the sides, a simple Battlefield clone effectively has tiny caves of life sprinkled all over the stage, and any character with a projectile can randomly have it rendered useless.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but it seems appropriate:

I want to draw as much attention to this as I can: Platforms for custom stages are broken.

The small vertical sides act as solid terrain. You can tech on them, and they break projectiles.
To easily test this, just get Villager and use his Lloyd on the side of a platform. It will explode on the edge of the platform instead of going through it like a platform on Battlefield or Town & City would.

Just be clear, YES I've made the edges ungrab-able. And YES I drew a single line, not a rectangle. I've tried everything and no matter what I do there seems to be NO way to create a platform without this problem.

I love stage builder to death, I've spent hours creating alternatives to legal stages for my friends and I to play on. This oversight (assuming it is one) completely ruins the mode for me. Since you can tech on the sides, a simple Battlefield clone effectively has tiny caves of life sprinkled all over the stage, and any character with a projectile can randomly have it rendered useless.
So wait, in Stage Builder you can't make passable platforms. Is that what you're saying?

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
You can pass though the top and bottom as normal, but as you can see in the video I just edited in, the small vertical sides of platforms destroy projectiles, can be teched on, and even hinder movement. As they are right now, any stages with platforms are completely unsuited for serious play.

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
You can pass though the top and bottom as normal, but as you can see in the video I just edited in, the small vertical sides of platforms destroy projectiles, can be teched on, and even hinder movement. As they are right now, any stages with platforms are completely unsuited for serious play.
Eh...

I mean, yeah, that's an issue, one that others may care a lot about. But personally I've never really been into the super-serious side of Smash, and I don't think it's that big of an issue in casual settings, so I'm not too concerned about it. I'm sure it'll get fixed in time.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Eh...

I mean, yeah, that's an issue, one that others may care a lot about. But personally I've never really been into the super-serious side of Smash, and I don't think it's that big of an issue in casual settings, so I'm not too concerned about it. I'm sure it'll get fixed in time.
Plus I don't think people use stage builder for serious play anyway

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
That.....is true. Now that you point that out I think I’ll do the same.
So on the subject of this: I managed to recreate my one and only winning entry, Fort Dragonfall!

ID is RM9DSD81 - I think it came out pretty good! Hazardless, obviously, though I made the version where the Dragon is alive for some added flair. Hope you all enjoy it!

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

Primid

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for the phone pics, I don't have a micro SD card or Nintendo Online (yet...) but I still wanted to share some of my first creations. Spent pretty much all afternoon creating these. Don't judge me, I had an off-day at work.

CHOZO RUINS (Metroid Prime)

Based off my stage from the ol' stage creation contest forum, some of you might recognize it. It's a medium sized walk-off without no gimmicks. Pretty fun to fight on. Chozo Elder looks kinda derpy though..

BRYYO (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)

Also based on a stage I made for one of the contests. The left two platforms move back and forth as originally intended and the stone golem raises and lowers the platform on the right side, albeit pretty slowly. Oh yeah, then there's Rundas. He flies around in the background thanks to some paths! I love how you can make stages so animated now!

RAPTURE (Bioshock)

Bioshock is one of my favorite games of all time, so here's the iconic sunken city from the game: Rapture. A Big Daddy stomps back and forth outside the window, angrily. The city's quite rundown, as you can tell from the overturned table and the pipe leakage. I'm quite proud of how this one turned out!

Let me know what you guys think! I plan on getting Nintendo Online soon, so I'll definitely upload these once the time comes so anyone interested can plan them!

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Stage Builder is almost perfect, but has a couple of simple things really holding it back.

-The "stage capacity" is mainly influenced by the NUMBER of objects/terrain pieces you have, not the complexity of the terrain (not surprising, anyone who's worked with 3D modelling and terrain editing can tell you that even in actual professional game development, you can save resources by making as much of your terrain into one object as possible). However, the stage builder also doesn't give you a way to take multiple objects and join them as one object. Giving us this functionality would allow for much more complex, detailed structures at much lower capacity costs. It's impossible to draw complex structures in one go, so a "Join/Glue" feature would be a very simple addition that gets around that.

-The "Fill" tool is misleading, it's not actually a fill tool. All it does is change the materials of terrain pieces you have already placed, despite being under the "Draw" section (implying it would be used to draw more terrain). It should be used to fill the inside of a shape with material changing being a separate feature.

-No copy and pasting between layers if I'm not mistaken.

It's entirely possible I was missing some things but I read the manuals and experimented as much as I could and couldn't get around these issues.

Here's a glimpse at what I was trying to make:

1555627643163.png

Top Bottom