• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Bans for IC?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
preference, depends on the matchup.
I tend to ban dreamland against most characters because I like small stages for ICs.
just figure out what stages you are most comfortable with. we don't really have any bad stages.

cemo

white walker
Usually one of Dreamland, Yoshi's, or Stadium for me.

Fox i ban Stadium
Falco Yoshi's/Stadium
Sheik ???
Marth Yoshi's
Puff Dreamland
Peach Dreamland or FD
Falcon Dreamland

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I always take fox to stadium. Or let fox take me there. In neutral, it's excellent for ICs. No top platform to screw you over.

Like I said before, ICs do not have a bad stage, it's all preference.

Tomber

Smash Journeyman
I usually ban/strike the stage that I think/know my opponent like the best. For example I disabled FoD in stage striking at Evo against S2J (Falcon) where I wanted to counter pick this exact stage against Westballz (Falcon) when I played against him later in the bracket. Furthermore I like to ban big stages against people who like to camp platforms against ICs and ban small stages against aggressive players more or less independently on the character I'm playing against.

Also, playing ICs against Peach on FD is the closest you get to a unwinnable match up among the high tiers IMO, so ban FD against Peach.

Encephalon Decay

Smash Cadet
I'm with Tomber on this. I have a friend who plays Peach, and 9/10 times I'll wreck him.

Guess what stage that 1 is almost always on?

The rest depend on his other characters, as I know he has favorites based on them.

When people say IC's have no bad stage, they aren't kidding. We're flexible little buggers ;)

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
Fox/Falco I ban Yoshis and pokemon, prefer going to FoD, BF or FD
Marth I ban Yoshis and FoD, prefer FD BF
Falcon i actually prefer Dreamland against him, more room for chaingrabs and recovering is harder for him. I ban Yoshis
Sheik I ban FoD, IC's usually fare well on every other stage
Ganon I ban Dreamland and Yoshis
Peach I ban FD and dreamland
Jiggs i ban FoD

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
Icies best stages: FD, FoD, Yoshi's (in order)

Final Destination - It's flat and gives Icies a lot of space to WD around. Icies can abuse their horizontal movement here more than any other character, maybe with the exception of Luigi.
Fountain of Dreams - The platforms and blastzones are really nice. The platforms make combos and chaingrabs easy, and the high ceiling makes it hard to die off the top and bottom. Icies F-smash + Side blastzones = Amazing.
Yoshi's - Platforms are perfect for handoffs and combos, but the close blastzones can make this stage troublesome against some characters. If you are against a Marth and have two bans, I suggest banning Battlefield then Yoshi's. Marth is much more of a problem on Battlefield than Yoshis with the top platform being so high and the mid platforms so low.
Dreamland 64 - Huge blastzones can make some matchups extremely hard, like Jigglypuff and Peach (if it wasn't hard enough QAQ) but it can also ensure Icies can recover. While the platforms may be to high to really get combos on, controlling the floor and abusing your moment on the ground is key for a win.
Pokemon Stadium - Minus most of the transformations, Pokemon can be an okay stage for the Icies in some MUs against characters that don't kill off the top, like Peach or Falco. Never take a Fox here. He will hurt you.
Kongo Jungle - Usually banned in some tournaments but it's still worth mentioning. It's got nice blastzones and the 2nd highest ceiling in the game. If you can master the timings of the barrel and use the stage's underside with the lack of collision to recover, Icies can be unstoppable here. Spacies do like to camp on this stage though.
Battlefield - Ledges are bad. Platforms are bad. Low ceiling is bad. Battlefield is not a neutral stage for Icies. Even though they can get combos off the platforms, the stage can really hurt them. Sure, it's bad for a lot of other characters, notably Fox and Falco (I honestly think this is Fox's only bad stage, maybe other than FoD. Spacies have to hold away when illusioning when they try to sweetspot the ledge or they will get battlefielded) but it might be worse for Icies.
Against Sheik, ALWAYS BAN BATTLEFIELD.
If Nana is anywhere near the ledge and get's hit off while she's on her own, she will always battlefield herself. Beware the needles, Sheik can do this easily.

-----

MU basics, generally:

Fox's Favorite Stage: Pokemon Stadium
Where to go against Fox: Battlefield - Fox can have a hard time recovering here against a lot of characters and the stage can kill him a lot. Be careful not to die off the top and you should be fine going to this stage in most occasions against Fox. If this doesn't work try Dreamland. Fox can get combos there too though. Pretty much every stage in this game is good for Fox.

Falco's Favorite Stage: Yoshis - anywhere with platforms.
Where to go against Falco: Final Destination - Falco can't abuse all his aerials and get platform combos on you. If FD is banned, go to Pokemon Stadium. It's your next best bet. Dreamland is good too, but Falco can combo off the platforms a lot.

Sheik's Favorite Stage: Battlefield - loves off stage gimps.
Where to go against Sheik: Dreamland - The body of the stage makes gimps a little harder and Sheik's hard to master recovery can be negated when most other characters can get back to the stage before her and easily edge guard the edges. Yoshi's is great against Sheik too, especially if you want easy-chain grab style points. :3

Jigglypuff's Favorite Stage: Dreamland - loves huge blastzones. Jiggs will always be able to recover unless she hits a blastzone and dies.
Where to go against Jigglypuff: Yoshi's - Jiggs can't float out and get kills like on Dreamland and FD and has to work a lot harder to survive hard hitting moves. If Jiggs bans Yoshi's go to FoD and focus on horizontal kills and not vertical kills.

Peach's Favorite Stage: Dreamland - loves huge blastzones. Peach can be a TANK on this stage if you can't kill her early.
Where to go against Peach: Yoshi's - Peach can't float out and get kills like on Battlefield and FD and has to work a lot harder. If Peach bans Yoshi's go to FoD and focus on horizontal kills.

Falcon's Favorite Stage: Dreamland - Falcon can combo off the platforms and can also mix up his recovery easily. The large blastzones make it easy for him to Falcon kick and get his double jump back.
Where to go against Falcon: Yoshi's - This restricts Falcon's horizontal mobility a bit and depletes his recovery options. Though he can wall jump, he will die early both off the sides and bottom.

Marth's Favorite Stage: Yoshi's, even though Battlefield is better - Marth loves small blastzones.
Where to go against Marth: Dreamland - It's huge and Marth's sword can't go through the platforms!

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
These days I find myself going to yoshi's most often.
I think it's hands down the ICs best stage.

FoD is a strong second as well.

Generally I won't go to FD, I think its pretty overrated in the majority of ICs matchups, but sopo does well there.

I am not a dreamland IC either. I like being able to control the smaller stages and dreamland is way too big and the platforms are too far apart.

I also think battlefield doesnt do much for ICs. The platforms are just out of usmash range, and the top platform is way too high.
The ledges are minimal risk for ICs, but on rare occasions they can kill you and/or nana.

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon Stadium 2 - Minus most of the transformations, Pokemon can be an okay stage for the Icies in some MUs against characters that don't kill off the top, like Peach or Falco. Never take a Fox here. He will hurt you.

There's no PS2 in melee. sorry :p

Myougi

Pokemon Stadium 2 - Minus most of the transformations, Pokemon can be an okay stage for the Icies in some MUs against characters that don't kill off the top, like Peach or Falco. Never take a Fox here. He will hurt you.

There's no PS2 in melee. sorry :p
Whoops. fixed. :p

R.I.P.

Smash Cadet
How about against Dr. Mario? I've played one a few times and I generally don't like Yoshi's because it's very up close and personal and he just pills me from platforms, and I get wrecked on Dreamland for some reason.

Myougi

How about against Dr. Mario? I've played one a few times and I generally don't like Yoshi's because it's very up close and personal and he just pills me from platforms, and I get wrecked on Dreamland for some reason.
Dr. Mario gets a lot of mileage from platforms, and since he has a projectile he can camp you out pretty easily. His Foward air on your shield is almost safe, except you can use the shield stun desync to make him eat a blizzard and punish him for approaching. Against Dr. Mario I suggest going Final Destination or Pokemon Stadium. You don't want him to camp and you want to control a flat plain of land. I would ban stuff like Yoshi's and BF.

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
i think ICs stages are pretty subjective. do you feel comfortable on the stage? yeah? have fun. you don't? ban that stage.

i enjoy all the legal stages so most of the time i just consider the matchups.
spacies: ban the stages with tight blast zones
peach: anywhere but FD
samus/marth: i'll normally aim to go for FD, so ban Battlefield and Yoshi's (platforms)
falcon/sheik/everyone else: lol take these ****ers anywhere

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
marth is fraudulent on yoshi's. He gets suffocated too easily by not having enough ground space.
His sword can reach through the platforms, but who gives a ****, it does that everywhere.
The issue you will occasionally run into is that every marth player still thinks its a good stage for him so they only practice there and are comfortable. But that's something that shouldn't matter as much with practice.
Overall I feel the stage is much more beneficial to ICs than to marth.
In that MU I actually really dislike dreamland, but most marth players are bad and don't understand how that stage benefits them.
I'm also not a fan of FD (which most players auto-ban against ICs anyway because it's easier than thinking about matchups) and I don't like Battlefield much either.

cemo

white walker
I don't think Marth is that fraudulent on Yoshi's, I tend to feel that Marth needs to keep close (midrange) in the matchup and a larger stage gives you the space to setup the desyncs necessary to fight his range. You will also have an easier time getting back to neutral on Dreamland than Yoshi's where Marth has super strong stage control. Dreamland is my favourite stage though, so I'm biased.

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I'd much rather play that mu on yoshi's because the small size of the stage really limits where marth can be when you wall him out. On dreamland, if marth has the lead, there is really nothing you can do. Unless he's stupid, which most marths seem to be.

Myougi

I'd much rather play that mu on yoshi's because the small size of the stage really limits where marth can be when you wall him out. On dreamland, if marth has the lead, there is really nothing you can do. Unless he's stupid, which most marths seem to be.
Against Marth DL64 is clearly the best option. Marth's silly sword can't fling hitboxes through platforms. When you're playing the MU on Yoshis, if you start to get juggled there's almost no way to get back to the ground. On DL64 you have some chance though due to the platforms.
DL64 is also great because ICs can make great use of their horizontal mobility, which is far better than Marth's IMO. Icies can slide around Dreamland all they want but not as much on Yoshis.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Lol who cares about marth doing dumb platform stuff when he has room to DD?
I understand where youre coming from, because every marth player is bad and doesnt understand how broken their dash dance and pivot dtilt is, and rely on dumb stage gimmicks, but yoshi's is just not a good stage for that matchup in particular.

Having more mobility doesnt actually matter at all for ICs since you still can't get in unless marth makes a mistake like misspacing a dtilt or going in the air in neutral or using moves other than dtilt in general or pinning himself against the edge of the stage.

Yoshi's makes it easier to force these mistakes because it's so small that ICs can control the space a lot better and limits marth's movement so much more.

But to be fair, in the real world, the vaaast majority of marth players don't understand how to play on dreamland, since that would involve learning things post 2008.

Top Bottom