• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBWU/3DS Luigi Chain Grab (Patched)

Will this make Luigi's potential far better?

• Total voters

Dire Creeper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dire_Creeper
Was practicing on Metaknight and ZSS.

But I will hit the lab again. It seems like it's just very tight timing + prediction of their DI then. This makes me a little more confident that nothing will be patched. Definitely seems useful still, as you can always bait the airdodge/attack for a free usmash or something heavier like grounded UpB. Just not an OP gamebreaker.
Well I'd recommend mastering it on Fox or Falco first, then try performing it as much as you can on the other characters. Once you feel like you've got it down good, try it on some Lv. 9 CPU's.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Great find, here is what I like to do after the final grab (these are all true combos, however can be escaped with proper DI):

Down Throw Utilt (12%) at 0% (not a followup for chaingrab, but useful for juggles)

Down Throw Nair (18%) from 0-120%

Down Throw Uair (17%) from 35-150%

Down Throw Up-B (26%) from 20-whatever%

gameonion

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gameonion
3DS FC
4382-1966-1902
I seriously love you. I will try this out right now! :)
Finally it's his time to shine! :4luigi:

Dire Creeper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dire_Creeper
Great find, here is what I like to do after the final grab (these are all true combos, however can be escaped with proper DI):

Down Throw Utilt (12%) at 0% (not a followup for chaingrab, but useful for juggles)

Down Throw Nair (18%) from 0-120%

Down Throw Uair (17%) from 35-150%

Down Throw Up-B (26%) from 20-whatever%
Thanks! Like the combos too!

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
I will say that this is pretty hard to pull off. You have to be REALLY fast and precise with your inputs. I've not successfully pulled it off yet, but I'll try it more soon. I'm doubtful I'll be able to do it.

Dire Creeper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dire_Creeper
I will say that this is pretty hard to pull off. You have to be REALLY fast and precise with your inputs. I've not successfully pulled it off yet, but I'll try it more soon. I'm doubtful I'll be able to do it.
I wouldn't suggest attempting it the full speed already. Try starting off slowly or use a slow speed like 1/4x or 1/2x in Training Mode. Then increase it to 2/3x or 1x once you've got that. It's the same method how I learned this, and it helped a lot. Some extra suggestions - learn the earliest moment possible when you can jump after the D-throw and the earliest moment possible when you can fast-fall after the spike hitstun (you can try practicing these timings alone too).

Last edited:

Dire Creeper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dire_Creeper
Well, how 'bout it? Just discovered something else - you can begin a chain with forward airs! Check these GIFs' out:

Note: This works at 0%.

It doesn't work on every character, but it enables the chain on a few more characters such as the ones above.

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
yeah, i have some problem with chain grab with down air. the chain grab with forward air is easy :D

Dire Creeper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dire_Creeper
yeah, i have some problem with chain grab with down air. the chain grab with forward air is easy :D
The forward air chain is easier, but it lasts very short and works on fewer characters. The down air chain may be harder, but it racks up more damage and is actually a bit harder to escape.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
Yeah dthrow > Dair is the better chain grab, but its more difficult to pull off (nothing practice can't fix ;) )

Dthrow > Fair > Fair is a nice chain grab also, is easier, but doesn't do as much damage.

D

Deleted member

I use the down spike often after a down throw since that leads to a lot of set ups in my opinion, but I didn't think of doing a chain grab.

I should use this technique as it will make Luigi more deadly.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Let this thread go to page 2(let it die basically), keep this on the down low cuz Nintendo wants to make this game as basic and bland as possible with patches/nerfs.

Dire Creeper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dire_Creeper
Let this thread go to page 2(let it die basically), keep this on the down low cuz Nintendo wants to make this game as basic and bland as possible with patches/nerfs.
True. The Sheik chain's even on Youtube, so it would be important to keep this as hidden as possible.

L∈O

Smash Journeyman
Man, I've just saw all these follow ups... They seem so... so AMAZING!

Guess my hype is totally real right now!

Did anyone already tell Boss about these?? Or does he already know? I want to see his opinions!

Dire Creeper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dire_Creeper
Man, I've just saw all these follow ups... They seem so... so AMAZING!

Guess my hype is totally real right now!

Did anyone already tell Boss about these?? Or does he already know? I want to see his opinions!
Thanks! I'm not sure if Boss knows about these, but I guess we'll find out next time he competes!

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Also let this stay on the first page. The only way this is going to get patched out is if they remove the spike hitbox and/or make it a meteor, or redesign the mechanics entirely. This is IMPORTANT so I'm damn certain this should be at front page. Things like Peach's 0 to death are still in the game, I'm sure this is sticking.

Pretty dope though. Glad I stuck with Luigi even if I don't outright main him at all.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
It won't get patched until people start complaining about it online or in tourneys. I've heard absolutely no one have too much troubles against it because it's very hard to pull of consistently.

MM720

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM720
3DS FC
0259-0380-4806
Well, how 'bout it? Just discovered something else - you can begin a chain with forward airs! Check these GIFs' out:

Note: This works at 0%.

It doesn't work on every character, but it enables the chain on a few more characters such as the ones above.
That combo is one of the key parts of Luigi's grab game in SSB4 IMO. Been using it myself pretty much since the day I started playing Luigi in SSB4 around a week after the 3DS release. It works on so many characters and hardly anybody tries to DI even at medium percents. Even when vectoring was around I still used this but some people were able to escape and with fair's then-decreased hitbox it wasn't as reliable as it is now.

I find it much harder to do on some characters than others. Sheik for example almost always manages to evade the follow-up grab (not CPU Sheik but human sheik) even at around 10-20%. I dunno if it's because she falls too fast or the guy I'm using it against has some incredible DI. It's also really hard/near impossible to do it on floaties like Jiggs/Kirby.

The good part is that no matter what, at least the first DThrow WILL lead into a fair or two even if you miss the followup grab.

Nice find on the first chaingrab tho. It's something I did like once and never bothered to do again since I assumed I was just lucky to hit the dair. Good work making it look very potent :)

Last edited:

Dire Creeper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dire_Creeper
That combo is one of the key parts of Luigi's grab game in SSB4 IMO. Been using it myself pretty much since the day I started playing Luigi in SSB4 around a week after the 3DS release. It works on so many characters and hardly anybody tries to DI even at medium percents. Even when vectoring was around I still used this but some people were able to escape and with fair's then-decreased hitbox it wasn't as reliable as it is now.

I find it much harder to do on some characters than others. Sheik for example almost always manages to evade the follow-up grab (not CPU Sheik but human sheik) even at around 10-20%. I dunno if it's because she falls too fast or the guy I'm using it against has some incredible DI. It's also really hard/near impossible to do it on floaties like Jiggs/Kirby.

The good part is that no matter what, at least the first DThrow WILL lead into a fair or two even if you miss the followup grab.

Nice find on the first chaingrab tho. It's something I did like once and never bothered to do again since I assumed I was just lucky to hit the dair. Good work making it look very potent :)
Thanks!

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I can't pull off the D throw spike chain at all...

But I did pull off Fair->Fair->D throw->Fair->Fair->D throw->Tornado on Link online from 0-50% thanks to this thread.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
I decided to practice this on lvl 9s once I did a 3-chain, and it was hard, but I finally landed one on Kirby, how instantly rolled. Like he didn't have lg, land roll, no time to grab. I don't think it works on him.

Dire Creeper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dire_Creeper
I decided to practice this on lvl 9s once I did a 3-chain, and it was hard, but I finally landed one on Kirby, how instantly rolled. Like he didn't have lg, land roll, no time to grab. I don't think it works on him.
Kirby is one of the few characters you can't even chain once. Also they'll only be able to tech around 60% or above.

Last edited:

Turbopasta

Smash Rookie
I've been practicing this on the AI for about half an hour.

It definitely does work, and against a human the mix-up potential seems amazing, but I'm a little skeptical of how applicable this would be in a real game.

Dthrow -> Nair does 18% without pummels, and it's very easy to land regardless of the enemy's DI. Dthrow -> Dair does 16% if it lands, and there's followup potential, but if it misses because of DI or bad timing, you only do 6%.

I'm fairly new to Luigi, so maybe I'm not looking at all the possibilities, but it just seems safer to go with Nair followups.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
It's good to practise this tech in order to land dthrow -> dair spike when you grab over the ledge for stylish and reliable KOs. If you're just going to get percent at the start of the match and don't want to rely on the technically demanding chain grab, dthrow -> fair -> fair -> jab -> grab -> fair -> fair -> missile if you're real reliably combos most of the cast to +50% percent and is not difficult to execute. Keep in mind that you can mix and match moves during that whole sequence depending on the situation. Something like dthrow -> fair -> fair -> dbl jump -> fair -> fair, or dthrow -> fair -> uair -> utilt/usmash. Whatever your opponent gives, take.

Last edited:

Turbopasta

Smash Rookie
It's good to practise this tech in order to land dthrow -> dair spike when you grab over the ledge for stylish and reliable KOs. If you're just going to get percent at the start of the match and don't want to rely on the technically demanding chain grab, dthrow -> fair -> fair -> jab -> grab -> fair -> fair -> missile if you're real reliably combos most of the cast to +50% percent and is not difficult to execute. Keep in mind that you can mix and match moves during that whole sequence depending on the situation. Something like dthrow -> fair -> fair -> dbl jump -> fair -> fair, or dthrow -> fair -> uair -> utilt/usmash. Whatever your opponent gives, take.
I need to try it against humans, but I think you're right about Dthrow -> fair >fair. The first string alone does 24%. Dthrow -> Dair is still definitely good tech to know just for the edge-guarding potential, for sure.

This is a noob question, but is it "safe" to reset the opponent with a jab, then a grab? Like, can they act out of it between the jab and the grab? And is there a way to grab in such a way that the 2nd jab doesn't come out by accident?

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
This is a noob question, but is it "safe" to reset the opponent with a jab, then a grab? Like, can they act out of it between the jab and the grab? And is there a way to grab in such a way that the 2nd jab doesn't come out by accident?
Just hit the jab button once, then go for a grab. If you do it too quickly, you'll just do the second hit of jab. Yes some opponents can interrupt at the jab -> grab or dbl jump -> fair. It depends on the match up. But you can still chain those guys easily, too. Fast fall the second fair. Because of their insanely quick recovery, at that point you can dash away, let them whiff their attack, then dash grab them for another dthrow -> fair/uair/dair/usmash/whatever. Playing against Luigi should always feel like playing with about ~40-50% off a fresh stock.

Dire Creeper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dire_Creeper
Just heard that the 1.0.4 patch was the last patch, meaning this chain will stick with Luigi for good!

IggyD

Smash Rookie
NNID
Iggy524
If you guys use a fireball to get them to 6 percent, its easier to do down throw to 2x fair. You can even down tilt after the second fair into a grab

Peru

Smash Cadet
NNID
Peru_El_Campeon
3DS FC
2750-1137-6520
I'm going to practice this at work right now! I'm excited to see how this will change the game up. The Year of Luigi never ends!

Top Bottom