• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBU - What are your nitpicks?

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
Hi all,

I thought we could have a nitpick thread to voice all our minor annoyances with this game. Let’s have points that don’t necessarily make or break the game, so no:
  • Balancing
  • Online mode rants
  • WoL was not what you expected/wanted it to be
  • Etc…
There already is a thread dedicated to the new Classic Mode, you can find it here:
https://smashboards.com/threads/your-classic-mode-nitpicks-spoilers-warning.465065/

I’d say we keep it lighthearted, no need to flame each other over something this trivial, right? Right.
Let me start:
  • Ivysaurs voice is straight up horrendous. I play the German version of the game and it sounds like an 8-year-old on helium.
  • The Classic Mode bonus stage is just a waste; they could have spent the time developing something less bland.

Hit me.

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
No hazard switch on stage select.

Useless echo fighters. I was expecting something more like Melee Roy/Marth, not just reskins.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I hate how Bananas are safe on shield. and how easy it is to catch items with dash attacks. Doesn't make any sense.

Dreambeatz

Smash Rookie
Just how 95% of Smash Ultimate is just sword characters and shielding is basically useless now.

MangoTwist

Smash Apprentice
KOs, falls, etc. (all stats basically) are not tracked when playing Squad Strike or Co-Op online (wins and losses are tracked, but you can't distinguish wins by player name). This is a major downgrade from Wii U, which would track all the basic stats as well as co-op specific records for every player name.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Ivysaur sounds whiny. "IVY!", it bleats. Quit your sniveling. I'll just throw in Lucina's, "Father, I won!" as well. You can hear the desperation and quivering in her voice. Grow a backbone, lady. Then there's Wolf's cringey death vocals, as well as the crowd cheer. Who thought that would be cool?

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon trainer (male and female) going into the facial animation equivalent of a T-pose after any of their victory screen animations finish. They just do this °_° (hope this shows up normal on here) face. Why?

Last edited:

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
Bowser, DK, and Diddy still have their animalistic voices.
Some of the victory themes are not cut short very well.
I wish the stages from Smash Wii U that are missing were in the game.
Mario, EarthBound, Donkey Kong (specifically Tropical Freeze), and Animal Crossing didn't get enough remixes.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
R.O.B. still doesn't have a stage when every other franchise with playable representation does. It's not fair, I tell you! A three-time veteran deserves better than to be shoved onto the token "retro" stage every game! #GiveROBaHome
Also, Mewtwo's entire tail is a hurtbox now, even during its tilts and aerials. This doesn't break the character for me, per se, but it's regardless an unnecessary change that I'm not a fan of.

Last edited:

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
Needing to reselect my character and skin after every match
I was about to say that. Selecting the character would be somewhat acceptable, but since we can't save skins to a player name, scrolling through them every time is a chore.

One more at topic:
Grabbing items is too easy now. I walk to it, hit a, and my character wastes time doing an f-tilt. I wish I could deactivate that, I grew up with Melee's mechanics.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
You can't view the trailers for the Smash Ultimate newcomers in the Movies section. Anybody else notice this? In Smash 4, you could.

I like the huge music selection we have for every stage whose series has lots of songs, but since, in My Music, you can only display 5 songs at a time, doing stuff like Mario stages is a pain, since non Mario Kart stages get like 80 songs. I obsessively adjusted the music in Smash 4 and Brawl but haven't mustered up the strength to do it for most stages in Ultimate as a result.

Speaking of stages, I don't like that the Super Mario Bros. 2 stage is called "Mushroom Kingdom II" just because of Melee. Other old stages got renamed, so it should be called Subcon now.

Edit: I wish we had the 1-2 underground stage for Mushroomy Kingdom. Ever since Smash 4, it seems to have been dropped, which is a shame.

Last edited:

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
You can't view the trailers for the Smash Ultimate newcomers in the Movies section. Anybody else notice this? In Smash 4, you could.

I like the huge music selection we have for every stage whose series has lots of songs, but since, in My Music, you can only display 5 songs at a time, doing stuff like Mario stages is a pain, since non Mario Kart stages get like 80 songs. I obsessively adjusted the music in Smash 4 and Brawl but haven't mustered up the strength to do it for most stages in Ultimate as a result.

Speaking of stages, I don't like that the Super Mario Bros. 2 stage is called "Mushroom Kingdom II" just because of Melee. Other old stages got renamed, so it should be called Subcon now.

Edit: I wish we had the 1-2 underground stage for Mushroomy Kingdom. Ever since Smash 4, it seems to have been dropped, which is a shame.
Everything you said is relatable for me. I especially feel sad about not viewing the movies in-game, that was so cool back in Brawl (and Smash 4) and always brought me back to the Smash Bros Dojo days leading up to release. So much nostalgia. YouTube doesn't quite do the same justice.

Urgoz

Smash Rookie
Grounding throws + special moves
Inkling's stupidly broken recovery
How both belmont's down tilt literally sends you to china even with 0% damage
Megaman's leaf shield spam
Samus jab being so damn weak and how everyone can interrupt it with their own jab (they need to make the second hit come faster)

and LAG

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Really minor thing: When you boot up the game for the first time, the CSS has 8 characters... and the Random button. If you’re going to make us start with only 8 characters for nostalgia, at least do it right by making the Random button an unlockable so that it doesn’t break up the alignment of the starting characters.

Also, on the WoL world maps, you should be able to opt to make the character hit full speed immediately instead of having to walk for a while. Plus, there are certain paths you can’t turn around on until the character goes all of the way across; some of these are quite long, so we should be able to turn around anywhere on them so that we aren’t punished with a small but notable loss of real time for making a small misinput on a junction. Or, at least make us press A to enter them rather than having them activate just by walking into them.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
R.O.B. still doesn't have a stage when every other franchise with playable representation does. It's not fair, I tell you! A three-time veteran deserves better than to be shoved onto the token "retro" stage every game! #GiveROBaHome
At least he has a franchise. Dr. Mario is still lumped in with the Mario characters despite having as many solo titles as Star Fox.

Also, why the actual hell can you only play original tracks on the Training Stage? What if I wanted to train with Guile’s theme in the background? I mean, the stage is clearly based off of Street Fighter anyway.

I love the fact that Richter Belmont is in Smash Bros., but why did they go with his worst design when he has two better ones that don’t bear a striking resemblance to certain character that’s already in this game? I would have gladly sacrificed two colors for the option to pick from Symphony Richter or DXC Richter.

On the subject of Richter, it’s annoying how he and Simon are exactly the same when Richter has proven to be the most athletic Belmont. They made Ken faster than Ryu, so why not do the same for Richter?

Next, it kind of bugs me that every slashing attack uses Ragnell’s sound effects now. It makes Ike feel less special to me. My favorite thing about Ike in Brawl was how you were rewarded with loud, visceral, meaty sound effects whenever you landed one of his attacks. Brawl’s sound design in general was in a league of its own.

Speaking of Ike, I find his Radiance costume to be unuseable because of how bad his voice is. I mean, I like Radiant Ike better anyway but it’d like to use both. Too bad they couldn’t get Jason Adkins for the younger Ike.

This one is really minor but why the hell cant you edit names? If you misspell a tag you have to delete it or start a new one. This game has so many neat touches to improve convenience, so what’s with this primitive ****?

D

Deleted member

Why have Music when you can't use it? Just let me play the fighter select from Street Fighter II and Album/Chronicle from Brawl on the menus god damn it.

Also I absolutely hate the description for playlists. The music from the playlist stops as soon as you enter the battle, unless they mean I should listen to the playlist while I'm the middle of a fight in real life.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Recycled Voice Clips from Brawl and other games for characters like Sonic and Inkling, Some characters having recycled victory themes from Brawl/4 still while others get new ones. As a matter fact, give all the characters a respective victory theme for themselves.

Shielding being less effective compared to the other games.

Airdodging cooldown lasting an entire century.

Speaking of Ike, I find his Radiance costume to be unuseable because of how bad his voice is. I mean, I like Radiant Ike better anyway but it’d like to use both. Too bad they couldn’t get Jason Adkins for the younger Ike.
Whenever I see something like this it just confuses me. Why would the devs/voice recording studios hire two VA's to voice the same character where the age gap between two alts isn't even big enough to warrant a different VA?

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102
I want short-hop aerial tech optional in settings.
(It’s where you press jump and attack at the same time)

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Stage Builder was removed

I also hate that Fighter Spirits have no purpose, like why don’t we get to use the spirits of the fighters or at least the costumes. I wouldn’t be mad if it wasn’t for the fact that K Rool, Mario, Snake, and others have different outfitted versions and have spirits, while some like Ike have the same thing but are unusable.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
My main nitpick is that I can’t talk to my friends in battle arenas without using outside means of communication

Also matchmaking is pretty bad

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I have a serious nitpick. Mii Gunner doesn't have the generic brand moveset. He has the name brand and Samus/Dark Samus is stuck with the generic brand moveset. It irks me that Mii Gunner is better than Samus/Dark Samus. Or it sure feels that way because I can't seem to win against Mii Gunner. If only Samus'/Dark Samus' Bomb acted like a solid projectile that could stop attacks like Charge Shot, Aura Sphere, Shadow Ball.

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
I need to add 2, because they annoyed me during a recent match.

Great that they included a camera feature that you can use in the pause menu. I guess few people asked for it, but hey, having is better than wanting.
Problem is, the zoom is neither tied to the fighters' location nor the current camera position: It's actually fixed for the stage at hand. Go ahead, try to capture a fight on the right-hand side of temple. Wanna see something on the tilted platform? Hard to get. A photo of the rightmost two elevated platforms? Absolutely impossible.
I mean, the feature is logically only used in "for fun" formats with friends. Then why is it so bad in actual "for fun" stages?

You cannot copy smash rules. I set up a ruleset. I am satisfied. I want to create a slight variation of it.
-> I need to start from scratch and perform all the settings again (some of which I might have forgotten already, like which stages are enabled for random and which items will appear).

Ice-N-Space

Smash Apprentice
1.toad being in Peach's grabs,

2.There's no custom moves.

3.No Stage Builder.

4.No more taunts.

5.Peach's dress is poorly animated.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I'm really surprised so many people care about things like voices and fanfares.

I mean, none of my problems with the game are "gamebreaking," since I'm still playing it. But issues I have with it off the top of my head...

- No custom moves (RIP)
- A bad character customization system
- No stage builder
- Ganondorf better but still not enough, and also not canondorf
- Echo fighters that are way too similar
- Some characters aren't echoes that should be (uh, Pichu?)
- Nintendo still hates modding

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
- can not play my other switch games because always on smash
- gps i rather they go with a point system so i don't feel like I am loosing hours of progress with one loss and can rematch without worry
- voice chat on quickplay
- a way to invite friends to arena's
- the rest of the missing stage and items back

Luigi369

Smash Rookie
Zelda's Final Smash is WAY too good make it so there is a range cap on where it can suck you in

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I don't like the lighting that much in this game. I think Smash Wii U did it better. Too many characters in SSBU look like ghosts with the way the light highlights them. It varies from stage to stage. Battlefield is the biggest example, I think.

Also, Dark Samus doesn't have a laughing taunt. Like, it's the most obvious thing in the world. Instead, her down taunt is her getting on a knee and holding her arm cannon just like Samus, which is something she never does in her appearances and is inconsistent with all her other animations in Ultimate itself. But whatever, she's playable at all, so I'll take what I can get.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
This is really, really, really nitpicky, but the DK track 'Swinger Flinger' shouldn't have that name as it doesn't play on the Swinger Flinger level in Tropical Freeze.

Really though, we all know this was just a covert way to get another version DK Island Swing in ...

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Yoshi can't use his tongue as a tether recover. This seems weird to me.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I need to add 2, because they annoyed me during a recent match.

Great that they included a camera feature that you can use in the pause menu. I guess few people asked for it, but hey, having is better than wanting.
Problem is, the zoom is neither tied to the fighters' location nor the current camera position: It's actually fixed for the stage at hand. Go ahead, try to capture a fight on the right-hand side of temple. Wanna see something on the tilted platform? Hard to get. A photo of the rightmost two elevated platforms? Absolutely impossible.
I mean, the feature is logically only used in "for fun" formats with friends. Then why is it so bad in actual "for fun" stages?

You cannot copy smash rules. I set up a ruleset. I am satisfied. I want to create a slight variation of it.
-> I need to start from scratch and perform all the settings again (some of which I might have forgotten already, like which stages are enabled for random and which items will appear).
I really don't like the new camera. The pause camera was fine and it actually covered the stage...usually. Plus, being able to quickly change the focus was great.

The Smash rulesets in this also seem very clunkily done. Like, having a default moveset would be nice but still being able to change stuff on the fly should still be there. Like, maybe I don't want to go back to add an extra stock or to maybe turn on some items.

Which leads me to another nitpick (which admittedly 4 did too), but I don't like how you have to hold back to leave certain menus. I would take the occasional mis-press over having to hold it for several seconds before actually going back.

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
I recently started adjusting music for stages and noticed: Holy moley, you are right. It's just a chore at some point.
Mario stages are bad? I tried Picto Chat, there's over 100 songs.

Grie

Smash Apprentice
Chrom looks rushed. Just look at him, he looks stiff and lifeless. And robin still has the chrom stuff (fs and victory screen) and generic fe victory theme instead of id purpose like the other awakening characters. It’s brawl wolf all over again but even worst.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Chrom looks rushed. Just look at him, he looks stiff and lifeless. And robin still has the chrom stuff (fs and victory screen) and generic fe victory theme instead of id purpose like the other awakening characters. It’s brawl wolf all over again but even worst.
Even if he is rushed, he still got more than most echoes...which is just sad.

Grie

Smash Apprentice
I’m Also dissapointed with echoes but not all of them.
Dark samus gets a pass because of her animation good lord are they creepy
Daisy is where the problem begins. Everything about her is just the same and her animations can’t make up for it.
Lucina as the same issue but now EVERYTHING is the same not even a new different idle stance.
Already talked about Chrom.
Dark pit same issue as Lucina, everything is the same except the way side b works.
Richter as the same issue as Daisy this time where he’s identical to Simon and barely as different animations to make up for it.
Ken should not even be an echo compared to the rest. So echo’s where just a way to make us stop complaining about clones even if they fixed the issue in brawl.

Top Bottom