• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBU Pet Peeve Thread

Rizen

Smash Legend
SSBU is great but some minor things get pretty annoying. Like in vs mode, you have to choose your character and color after every game. I'm trying to play lv9 CPUs to get the feel for some MUs and can't mash to the next game; it adds like 15 seconds each time. Another thing that bugs me is how generous the buffering system is; I've SDed by trying to use a ground attack but got hit and buffered into a down aerial. You can't use X and Y to change color and have to use the trigger buttons. :glare:

What gets under your skin?

Last edited:

Super_Hylian

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 1058-3799-8975
My biggest peeve so far is probably getting used to the buffering system as you said. I have SD'ed multiple times as well because I went to do my second jump, or attack, and I side air dodge to my death just because I may have hit dodge a few seconds before being hit. :confused: And some of the menu things are annoying, but it is only because I'm not used to them. With time I will probably find the old menus annoying since I will be so used to Ultimate's. :laugh:

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
Auto short-hop when hitting the attack button and jump button simultaneously. At least add an option for this in the controls!

They nerfed leaf shield. ****ing leaf shield. Are you kidding me?

Super_Hylian

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 1058-3799-8975
Auto short-hop when hitting the attack button and jump button simultaneously. At least add an option for this in the controls!

I thought there was an option to turn off with the options to turn off A+B Smash? More than likely I'm just remembering wrong :psycho:

And I never really play Mega Man, but used to play against him a bit. What did they nerf on his leaf shield?? Not something I thought needed a nerf haha

Last edited:

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
What did they nerf on his leaf shield?? Not something I thought needed a nerf haha
It auto-throws now, instead of being able to run around with it for a little while. Now you can't use it to land safely, or go for leaf-grabs or leaf-footstool edgeguards.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
super small complaint.

Start button doesn't skip all the stats on the victory screen. Now you gotta mash a.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wish I could skip the credits on Classic Mode while still getting the goodies.

Super_Hylian

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 1058-3799-8975
It auto-throws now, instead of being able to run around with it for a little while. Now you can't use it to land safely, or go for leaf-grabs or leaf-footstool edgeguards.
Well that seems like a very unnecessary change...that is a bummer for Mega Man players

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
The main menu is gorgeous. Then the rest looks hazily put together, even though it easy to navigate through and has some neat pictures for each mode. It's just the big amounts of empty space some submenus have and how bland they can be.

Costume swapping now with the trigger buttons instead of X/Y. I don't get why they changed that.

The "Ready to Fight" banner is too large and too wide. Makes swapping characters in local multiplayer slightly more annoying than it should be when you have AIs in the battle.

Elite Smash allowing FFAa, items, and any stage is ridiculous when the mode will be used for balance patches.

Elite Smash greying out characters makes it confusing at first. It makes it look like you're stuck with one character in matchmaking. Why not ribbons to indicate who you can play as in there? Or simply making them glow?

Not being able to team-up with an online friend for team battles (unless in arenas) again is baffling.

No online co-op modes. Brawl had them. Never seen again.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
That... Wha... that completely misses the point of it. It's Leaf Shield, not Leaf Buzzsaw.

Fenomonal

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 0308 7709 8101
No character taunts online, FeelsBadMan. And cant customize my "Taunts" we all know we want to put "DESTRUCTION" as one of them.

Akatsuk1

Smash Rookie
I'm not a fan of the new quick ruleset thing. I wish you could change it without having to save an entire new rule set. Like if i wanna make a minor adjustment, like add another stock or something, i need to create an entire different ruleset so i don't mess up my previous ones and i end up having like 30 different ones. I wish they made it so you can still change the rules on the character select screen like in previous installments.

ArcticKat

Smash Rookie
Peach’s taunts seem way too short. They’re animated way too quickly. Her down taunt doesn’t have her do a little twirl anymore, which looks really dull.
And her Toad bodyguard — I preferred seeing Peach take out Toad and hold him up as a shield. That was always amusing. It’s not as fun anymore when Toad is willingly putting himself in danger to protect her.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Hmm....
1. People requesting more Fire Emblem characters
2. SD-ing when I airdodge
3. Everything about the online
4. My shield suddenly disappearing and I get bodied
5. Fox, Villager, and Isabelle. These three ****ers are the most annoying fighters in the game.
6. It takes the game like 10 seconds to load each render when i swap costumes.

leejaybird

Smash Cadet
NNID
leejaybird
Having to reselect my character after every match is super annoying. The CPU has their character stay so why not mine?

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
My biggest pet peeve is the fact that you can't change your character in quickplay if you choose to have a rematch. Wanna rematch the same person but as a different character? Well you just gotta hope you find him or her again randomly!

A more fandom pet peeve is the ones who demand a character be nerfed just because they lose a lot to them. Losing a lot to them isn't a justifiable cause for a nerf, especially if it's a character that only a few people have problems with in general.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
My biggest pet peeve is the fact that you can't change your character in quickplay if you choose to have a rematch. Wanna rematch the same person but as a different character? Well you just gotta hope you find him or her again randomly!
Holy ****, this. This is my biggest peeve by far. But to add to this:
-Again, having to choose a character after every match; the game remembers my chosen name all the time, why not my character?
-L/R to change colors. It's fine, but why change it in the first place?
-The "Ready to Fight" banner is way too obtrusive if you need to look for your little hand cursor.
-The weird new controls for camera mode when paused; they're weird button combos now, and again, why change what wasn't broken before?
-The shop song restarts after every purchase you make, which is irritating.

It's nice to get those off my chest. :laugh:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I wish you can toggle stage hazards and stage morph from stage select rather than match settings. Kind of annoying to go all the way back if I want to do a battle for example at both transforming pokemon stadiums since I normally hazards and morph off.

EGsmash

Smash Apprentice
So let me say, this is a really good game. A great game. However, there are some things about it that absolutely ruin things for me...

Biggest problem: the gameplay itself is just too hard to see! Between the opaque smoke and particle effects coming off of every move, the muted colors on the characters, and the general lack of contrast between character and background, it's super easy for an aging smash veteran like myself to lose track of my character. Combined with the comically bad balloon knockback causing characters to basically teleport across the screen when hit, there have been more than a few occasions of "wait, where the heck did I go?" moments.

The directional air dodge lag has led to more than a few SDs. Trying to tech a landing near the edge can turn into an SD if you time it too early and you happen to have a character without amazing recovery. I feel this absolutely ruins offstage play too since edgeguarding is so safe that it doesn't make sense to chase to confirm your kill when you can just threaten from the ledge.

I understand wanting to need the defensive game from Sm4sh for the sake of more aggressive play. However I feel that, for a game which is supposed to feel faster, this is a step in the wrong direction. Not being able to run past enemies, nerfed rolls, shield drop lag, all contribute to fewer options and encourage spammy gameplay since your opponent has a harder time avoiding attacks.

Speaking of faster... yes the characters feel faster and I like the general reduction of end lag for characters. But what's really distracting is this Dragonball FighterZ - style hitlag on every single attack. Reading. This. Sentence. Is. What. Attacks. Feel. Like. In. This. Game. Its bad, and in a game with many players actually opens up the attacker to punishment from others when multi-hit moves cause you to freeze for longer.

And of course as mentioned, the quality-of-life issues around the character select screen put up unnecessary delays in a game which is supposed to be faster and sleeker.

Boy it feels good to get that all out. Now in going to go play all day.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Most of those are gameplay changes you have to get used to lol

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Random lag spikes because of poor matchmaking (location wise) and just not enough good matchmaking options for competitive/casual.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Not being able to send replays of my saved battles to friends online. Yes I can convert it but that requires a SD card and uploading it online.

It's kind of amazing how the Wii U had a more online friendly interface than the Switch. No not even referring to Smash here; in general Nintendo's service is barebones compared to its predecessor.

Last edited:

generalminus

Smash Rookie
I'm not a fan of the new quick ruleset thing. I wish you could change it without having to save an entire new rule set. Like if i wanna make a minor adjustment, like add another stock or something, i need to create an entire different ruleset so i don't mess up my previous ones and i end up having like 30 different ones. I wish they made it so you can still change the rules on the character select screen like in previous installments.
OMG YES....What is up with this new rule set thing? At first I thought, I was accidentally clicking on "custom match," until I find out that this was the legitimate way of making matches. WHY?! It really is a nuisance when you simply want to make a small change, but as you said, you might have to make multiple rulesets. Also, in the beginning, it took me a while to figure out how to edit/delete a rule set. It's really not that self explanatory to know you have to tap the right control stick to do that.

Holy ****, this. This is my biggest peeve by far. But to add to this:
-Again, having to choose a character after every match; the game remembers my chosen name all the time, why not my character?
-L/R to change colors. It's fine, but why change it in the first place?
-The "Ready to Fight" banner is way too obtrusive if you need to look for your little hand cursor.
-The weird new controls for camera mode when paused; they're weird button combos now, and again, why change what wasn't broken before?
-The shop song restarts after every purchase you make, which is irritating.

It's nice to get those off my chest. :laugh:
OMG YES, AGAIN, to all this. I'll give some input too:

1. The Obstructive "Ready to Fight" Banner - I'm honestly surprised this hasn't been brought up a lot more or the developers didn't think this would be an annoying issue...I hate how I have to carefully search for my small icon with this in the way if I want to make a change. Sometimes I'll end up accidentally hitting the wrong button, which starts a match, because I thought I was clicking on an icon :facepalm::hulk:.
2. Camera Controls - I still can't figure this crap out :shades:....This was so much simpler when it was introduced in Brawl, so why is it such a pain in the ass now? Can you even rewind?

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
I love that you can save rulesets.

I absolutely freaking hate that you have to. Being able to select a ruleset before you start playing is ****ing fantastic to have a faster start, but it's extremely annoying when you just want to make adjustments. In previous Smash games, you can change how many lives you have with a single button press, without even leaving the character select screen. Now? You have to click rules, which throws you in a separate screen, highlight your current ruleset, hit X to edit it, adjust the stocks, press start to save the setting, and start again to confirm the name. Not to mention, any rule change completely reboots the stage/character selection process, making the whole thing feel even more awkward and sluggish. I think this is a massive step backwards in how easy it was to change rules in previous games. Selecting a ruleset should be separate from editing the current rules. And editing the current rules should absolutely be ****ing possible without being forced to save it to a ruleset.

This is seriously one of my only complaints with this game. The game's a joy to play, but as someone who messes with rules pretty often, this new system is a huge ****ing mess. Saving rulesets is really a godsend, but at the end of the day it feels like one step forward, with 16 steps back. I've always looked down on the the "If it's not broken, don't fix it" saying, because it's a position that's inherently opposed to improvement. But in this case, they fixed something while breaking everything else in the process. Everything would be so much better if the rule settings were identical to previous games, but we just had the ability to create and select saved rulesets on top of it.

Last edited:

EGsmash

Smash Apprentice
Most of those are gameplay changes you have to get used to lol
Yeah I get that and I'm mostly used to it already, but it doesn't mean that those changes are for the better. SSB4 was a blast to play casually because of the dodging, rolling, reversals, combos, and offstage shenanigans. SSBU feels like it's trying too hard to compete with other tournament fighters on the market right now. SSB4 was fun. Playing SSBU feels like work.

Oh here's another gripe for the character select: How about not being able to close out other players or change them to CPU without finding the controller they used. Seriously - we have a gamer club at school that plays Smash, and if someone leaves we have to find the controller they were using and manually click them out. Menus in Smash have never been... good, but it's like they didn't even quality check this for usability.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Smash 4 was too defensive. You couldn't pressure shield effectively since shield was too safe. Edgeguarding was nearly pointless due to how safe airdodging was.

Fun game casually but couldn't take it seriously as a competitive game. Smash is about aggression to me. Each to their own, of course.

MapleBeasts

Smash Cadet
Really small complaint but the ready to fight banner after picking the last character in the game requires you to move the cursor a bit before you can start the game. Also not being able to skip directly to the end of the credits after Classic mode.

Yeah it strikes me as a little odd that they would nerf Leaf Shield yet did nothing to nerf characters like Diddy.

EGsmash

Smash Apprentice
Can we gripe about moves that bury? Specifically K Rool, Inkling, and Mr. G&W who can bury you and get a free Fsmash even if you mash like a pro, with very little effort on their part?

And then there's ROB's down throw - so much hype pre-release and then we get that instant-release garbage that combos into practically nothing. CAN WE GET SOME CONSISTENCY!?

Smash 4 was too defensive. You couldn't pressure shield effectively since shield was too safe. Edgeguarding was nearly pointless due to how safe airdodging was.

Fun game casually but couldn't take it seriously as a competitive game. Smash is about aggression to me. Each to their own, of course.
Of course! And I respect your opinion while politely disagreeing. Shield was safer, but not without risks - you could still grab a shielding opponent, and it's not like you couldn't pressure shield - it was just harder to do (which is what a shield is there for in the first place). What it came down to was having to be more cautious about how you approach a shielding opponent. Now that that option is effectively off the table, people are free to throw out move after move until something, anything connects, because there's no risk to doing so. It just promotes the same spammy tactics over and over. I do like the overall improvements to the speed of play, but the lack of defensive options only deteriorate the experience rather than improve it.

I get how some folks like the aggressive play, but that really only works when you're playing a fighter like DBFZ because you have walls to knock your opponent against. The way SSBU plays, all you have to do for some characters is pressure them off stage and gimp their recovery. Maybe that's fine for tournament play, but it's a quick way to turn a 1,000 hour game into a 40 hour game for casuals.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Not being able to organize the Character and Stage Select Screens is my biggest pet peeve. Although I know where my mains are now that it's no longer changing constantly with character unlocks, it's still impossible to find anyone else. It's also even worse to try and find any specific stage I want to play on. That is my biggest one. The rest of them are nitty gritty complaints that I can live with.

Another thing is there not existing an option for random between Battlefield and Final Destination forms in online quick play. You're pretty much forced to choose one or the other unless you want to risk the Hazardless stage option and potentially land on a stage like 75m, Pac-Land, or Hanenbow.

The menus is another. While organized for the most part, the shapes and placements of the buttons on each screen are a bit weird. Smash Brawl did it right with organized arrays of buttons that's pleasing on the eye. I don't see why future installments had to ruin it.

One of my favorite songs is gone.

Robin still has Chrom in his final smash despite him now being playable. Also, many Assist Trophies and Pokémon also exist as a part of final smashes or show as stage elements. To name some examples, the Moon, Electrode, Moltress, Palkia, and Riki.

Last edited:

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
This is SUPER nit picky, but I hate how, from what I’ve seen so far, Robin and WFT don’t get non ultimate renders for their fighter spirits. It’s incredbily jarring to me personally to look at all the other fighter spirits and their different origins and art styles, but not for these two. I mean, unless there is some reason I’m not thinking of, they do have other existing renders they could have used.

Idk that’s so stupidly minimal I know but if I had to pick a legit pet peeve with this masterpiece of a game that would be one

Last edited:

Greaseman

Smash Rookie
By far my biggest pet peeve is that I can't see what color I'm trying to swap to within the first 5-6 seconds of entering the character select lobby.

Rizen

Smash Legend
SSBU features many adverse quality of life changes. In training mode there's only one music track regardless of the stage.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
SSBU features many adverse quality of life changes. In training mode there's only one music track regardless of the stage.
There's actually a button that allows you to change it, but it's limited to the training song and tracks that can normally play on that stage. Also, the training stage is limited in music options.

Top Bottom