• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBU gamecube controller

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
Some people are reporting that some of the control sticks are off-center, which would create unintentional inputs. The control sticks are reportedly more "springy" so it takes a bit more force to push it to one side or another. Some have said that the buttons feel a bit squishy.

Overall, I've heard good things about them, but if you're into super competitive play, then you might wanna look elsewhere.

Nagol

Smash Cadet
NNID
NagolNLR
3DS FC
1693-3794-6353
I can't vouch for this controller but having a couple Original controllers a modded old controller and a 2008 controller I can give a general opinion on the trend of controllers.

Original controllers - at this point a lot of the membranes have become looser and the joysticks as well. It's very hard to find an original controller in amazing shape without repairs or replacements. The buttons on these controllers also fit loosely in the holes which let's you move them around a bit but doesn't hurt performance. Triggers are smooth and come with a piece of metal that helps guide actuation so you don't grind or press poorly. 5/10 Would recommend for play.

Modded original - replacing the membrane and joystick really helps improve performance and responsiveness. The membrane feels in between the older membrane and the newer factory ones. The joystick is still a bit stiff but will get better over time. 7/10 would recommend for play.
Bonus: swapped buttons feel fine but different. the triggers might need the metal guide as I found it initially sticking. Custom painting is fun and cool process.

2008 nintendo white - This is my current go to controller so i'm bias. Membranes are responsive and comfortable. The buttons have no play or very little play in their slot so they don't jostle around. Triggers are fine but are missing the metal guides that come with original. I added the metal guides later but overall I don't think it was necessary. Cable is great length for couch play but terrible for tournaments. 9/10 would recommend for play.

SSB4 Black - Same as my 2008 it didn't feel any different and I saw no performance issues. This was not my controller so I only used it for a day. This controller was basically my 2008 controller but since I couldn't tear it down to check I can only say this by feel. 9/10 would recommend.

Wavebird - yah don't use these. They are fine and mine is in tremendous condition however there is lag and the lag only seems to be doubled from the adapter. 4/10 would recommend for play.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I really really hope it’s as good as the White 2008 Brawl GC controllers. Mine’s still on back order along with the adaptor and I’m currently using a Power A wireless GC controller (serviceable but I need an upgrade). I loved the white GC controllers so much, they felt much better than the originals to me. Unfortunately I lost/left both of mine at a friend’s houses. I’m definitely interested in this topic tho since I will be getting the new GC controller soon

HotelSoapy!

Smash Apprentice
I really really hope it’s as good as the White 2008 Brawl GC controllers. Mine’s still on back order along with the adaptor and I’m currently using a Power A wireless GC controller (serviceable but I need an upgrade). I loved the white GC controllers so much, they felt much better than the originals to me. Unfortunately I lost/left both of mine at a friend’s houses. I’m definitely interested in this topic tho since I will be getting the new GC controller soon
Did you get it?

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Did you get it?
Yeah I got it yesterday actually! It feels super nice, super well made, and it’s a very solid GC controller. Literally felt a world of difference immediately from my Power A wireless controller. I’m really digging it so far. The thing is a new controller is a new controller. What I’m most interested in is how it will hold up over time (the white wii controllers were tanks)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Wavebird - yah don't use these. They are fine and mine is in tremendous condition however there is lag and the lag only seems to be doubled from the adapter. 4/10 would recommend for play.
I've been using a wavebird since Melee and haven't noticed any lag at all.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I have one. The C stick was slightly off-center - you have to move it slightly more to the left than you do to the right for an attack to come out. I'm never pressing it lightly enough to notice the difference, though. The sticks in general were stiff, so were the shoulder button springs. The stick itself feels like higher quality, though. Buttons felt fine. There's no gloss finish so it feels a bit different in your hands. It has the same issue as the Smash 4 controllers with the shoulder buttons, where if you push down on it using the edge of the button, it can get stuck on a plastic piece inside, but if you just push them in normally, they work fine. The longer cord is nice.

However, though at first it was stiff, it's broken in nicely after playing with it for close to 90 days. I have a few original GC controllers I'm trying to keep in good working condition in case my new one breaks or they stop making the new ones at some point. It feels similar to those now. I would recommend getting one, or a few just in case.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I bought a few actually. One before Ultimate came out and then 2 more after Christmas. I left one of the 2 back at another place so whenever I come over I can use it on my GameCube there. The other one is kept unopened on my shelf in case my 3 other GC controllers break.

I can at least say 2/3 of my controllers work perfectly fine and are just as good as the smash 4 controller. And I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the one in box. The stick does feel stiff and it was very weird to play with on Melee and that threw me off, but the next day the stick feels perfectly fine. I played sm4sh on my 1st controller for one day and it was stiff, but I didn't have nearly as much of an issue playing and that's probably because I'm not doing as much as in Melee. I can't say too much about my first one now as I replaced the buttons with a custom white set, but it was great for the time.

They are pretty good and are almost identical to the original controllers, one difference I might add is that Ultimate and 4 version's don't have trigger braces. If anyone is bothered about that then they can still apply them in the controller if they wish.

I don't think you can go wrong with these controllers. It's a great opportunity to snag a brand new official controller for a low $30 price.

Top Bottom