• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBMSE: More legal stages mod!

ComJay

Smash Rookie

UPDATE 2 Sep 2019: Version 0.5.1 is out!
Please note that this is not to replace or become the tournament standard. You can use this for little tournaments and such but please refer to using 19XXTE for bigger tournaments.
Hi everyone. This is a mod I've been working on for Smash 64, called Super Smash Bros: More Stages Edition, or SSBMSE for short. This project of mine aims to increase the number of tournament legal stages from ONE. Yeah, one. I have modded in Battlefield (SSBU), Kalos Pokémon League, Pokémon Stadium 2, Skyloft, Smashville and WarioWare Inc., all from later games in the Smash series.

When the "TO DO" spoiler is clear, I will eventually call it 1.0.

Aside from adding SIX new stages, this mod also includes:
  • A message that displays on bootup (can be skipped to the character select screen by pressing a button at the N64 logo)
  • A new title screen
  • Selecting MESSAGE on the main menu brings up the message again
  • Selecting DEBUG on the main menu opens the Battle Debug menu
  • A preset tournament ruleset (8:00, 4 stocks, Team Attack on, Items off)
  • Time on stock battles
  • A personal touch to the character select screen
  • A reorganised stage select screen only consisting of stages with no hazards or moving platforms, complete with layout depictions on the icons
  • No wind hazard on Dream Land
  • Custom music
This mod was possible with the power of hex editing, and Setup Editor Global, the tool used to develop the stages and custom graphics, available at n64vault.com. Special thanks to 19XXTE developer cyjorg, for help with editing hex values, Carnivorous and SubDrag for Setup Editor Global/GoldenEye Setup Editor, and everyone who was able to give a hand in the Discord server over there.

The custom stages featured in this mod are also included in Smash Remix. Another Smash 64 mod that showcases new characters! (Expansion Pak required for console play.)
Download the mod here!
Please leave feedback in this thread as I really need to know what to improve! And check these below spoilers often:
Not really FAQs because no one asked, but just in case
  • Q. Are the sizes of the stages correct?
    • A. As of 0.3, all custom stages are sized correctly. As of 0.5 the camera boundaries are accurate for every custom stage but the blast zones are only accurate for Battlefield. Skyloft has slightly bigger zones and the rest of the stages have zones closer to Dream Land's.
  • Q. How many stages can be edited in the game?
    • A. Plenty, but without breaking them, seven. The "How to Play" stage can be edited but Peach's Castle, Congo Jungle, Hyrule Castle and Duel Zone can be replaced, which SV, PS2, KPL and WW do so respectively. Both beta stages, "Small" and "New", need to be edited/replaced together, which is a complicated method (and may not work anymore.) Skyloft and Battlefield replace those respectively.
  • Q. Can moving objects/platforms be implemented into custom stages?
    • A. Others may know how to do it, but not me. Information for moving platforms can be viewed in the editor, but leaving them there causes a crash.
  • Q. How do I install the mod?
    • A. Grab a program called xdelta use it to patch a vanilla NTSC-U ROM.
  • Q. Why do P1 and P2 spawn next to each other on the custom stages?
    • A. Characters don't spawn in random locations in Smash 64. On Dream Land P2 spawns on the left platform and P4 on the right, so for regular tournaments ports 2 and 4 are always used for singles. So you have to use ports 2 and 4 for this mod too. 19XXTE fixes this and brings it in line with the later Smash games so ports no longer matter.
  • Q. Can I help out in some way?
    • A. If you're able to fix anything listed in the TO DO spoiler let me know by replying here.
  • Q. Can this mod be used for netplay?
    • A. Yes but that's something you have to figure out.
0.5.1 (released 2 Sep 2019)
  • Adjusted blast zones for KPL, PS2, SV and WW to be closer to Dream Land's
  • Changed main platform collision for PS2, less accurate to the original but characters can no longer clip through to recover in the middle of the stage
  • Changed music for WW
  • Changed selected poses on the character select screen
  • Put series symbols back on the stage select screen
  • Changed sounds that play during a "No Contest"
  • Added a more noticeable warning message on the stage select screen for Training
  • New bootup message
  • Changed sound that plays on the message from "Congratulations!"
  • Changed ROM header from "SSBMSE BY COMJAY" to "SSBMSE"
0.5 (released 7 Jul 2019)
  • Added Skyloft and Battlefield over Small and Meta Crystal on the SSS
  • Resorted SSS
  • Added reverb effect to all custom music
  • Replaced music on PS2 with regular Saffron City music
  • PS2 and SV now have more accurate wall collision
  • Adjusted camera boundaries to be accurate on every custom stage
  • Adjusted blast zones on every custom stage
    • (Only Battlefield has accurate blast zones. All other custom stages have them but with 1000 added to the values for upper/side zones)
  • Various menu graphics have been edited
  • 1P Mode menu has been brought back
  • New bootup message (there's a typo whoops)
0.4.1 (released 8 Jun 2019)
  • Resorted SSS
  • Replaced 1P Yoshi's Island with How to Play
    • Made blast zones/camera boundaries identical to Dream Land
  • Made player spawns and respawn point exactly symmetrical for all custom stages and How to Play
  • Moved player spawns on WarioWare Inc. P1/P3 spawn on pink platforms, P2/P4 spawn on main platform
  • Edited SSS icons for affected stages
  • New bootup message
0.4 (released 4 Jun 2019)
  • Added WarioWare Inc. over Final Destination (Melee)
  • Replaced How to Play with Small
    • Main platform is now completely solid, soft platforms aren't grabbable, items now spawn when turned on, spawn points swapped around (P1/P2 on left, P3/P4 on right), game no longer crashes when respawning
  • 1P Yoshi's Island now fifth slot on SSS, Small is fourth
  • Added shading to all custom stage models
  • Edited KPL model to look a little better
  • Removed Bumper hidden under Smashville
  • Updated background image for PS2
  • Fixed graphical glitches on Ness's PK Fire, Fox's Arwing and Captain Falcon's Blue Falcon
  • New bootup message
0.3 (released 7 Apr 2019)
  • Fixed Final Destination (Melee) though it replaces Duel Zone now. 1P Yoshi's Island is on the SSS
  • Edited UV mapping on FDM and PS2
  • KPL and SV are slightly smaller, making them accurate
  • Removed access to 1P Mode menu
  • Changed some graphics on the main menu
  • Removed warning note on SSS
  • Changed "No Contest" text
  • New bootup message
  • Changed ROM header from "SMASH BROTHERS" to "SSBMSE BY COMJAY"
0.2 (released 12 Feb 2019)
  • Fixed bug where PS2 and SV crash after 93 seconds (thanks frayssb!)
  • Added Final Destination (Melee) over the Small stage and reworded warning note on stage select screen
  • Removed version indicator on title screen (it would corrupt when I would try to change it)
  • New bootup message
  • Get all stages to work in Training mode
  • Change stage preview models (it crashes when I attempt most of them)
  • Move spawn points on Dream Land and Final Destination
  • Fix blast zones on Battlefield and Skyloft
  • Get a seventh custom stage working :kirby64:

Last edited:

Cray Z

Smash Rookie
Can someone tell me if the ps2 platforms are the same height as dreamlands?

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
Does this work on official hardware like the 19XX mod? If so I'll give it a download this week sometime.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
It's not right to give out ROMs on the internet, even if they're patched. You need a program called xdelta, and the original NTSC-U .z64 ROM.
I patched a Super Smash Bros. .z64 ROM with xdelta but when I went to play it in my EverDrive 64 it didn't work. That's odd because I had no problem getting 19XXTE 0.11 to work. For this reason I agree with SSb64champ, you should just put a patched SSBMSE file online somewhere so more people can play it.

Last edited:

Cray Z

Smash Rookie
Someone make a youtube guide how to patch it. im on 60mins and i still don't have the file patched. seems like theres a dozen ways to do so but every1 requires something I don't got. Even using the xdelta file linked by comjay. I only have 2/3 things required supposedly. I have the patch file and the rom file, but don't have the output file.

https://gfycat.com/GregariousEvenIvorybilledwoodpecker

someone told me it has to be z64.

try z64

https://gfycat.com/RegalNiftyAldabratortoise

says don't add .z64 for the output file.

https://gfycat.com/BarrenSameBumblebee

idk

Last edited:

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
Depending on the rom you have, there might be a different header on it or something.

Just got mine patched though, works quite well. I would personally drop the Attract Mode "How to Play" stage, and maybe put in the WarioWare one by default.

Also, maybe I'm just remembering how the game spawns you in, but can the player spawns be edited? The couple games I messed with had me and a CPU starting right next to each other. Maybe I just need to use the P4 cpu...

fleepy

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
FLIP#714
Okay, I have no idea how to use xdelta, could somebody link a guide on how to patch this or something?
Thanks

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I patched a different SSB ROM that I found on the interwebs and this time it booted up in my EverDrive 64. However, when I tried to use Kirby against an AI controlled DK on Final Destination the game froze. I tried two times and the same thing happened on both attempts. The characters just couldn't spawn in to the arena even though music kept playing normally in the background.

ComJay

Smash Rookie
I patched a different SSB ROM that I found on the interwebs and this time it booted up in my EverDrive 64. However, when I tried to use Kirby against an AI controlled DK on Final Destination the game froze. I tried two times and the same thing happened on both attempts. The characters just couldn't spawn in to the arena even though music kept playing normally in the background.
That stage isn't ready to be played on yet. It says right under the icon on the stage select screen

ComJay

Smash Rookie
Also, maybe I'm just remembering how the game spawns you in, but can the player spawns be edited? The couple games I messed with had me and a CPU starting right next to each other. Maybe I just need to use the P4 cpu...
On the new stages I've made it so P1 and P2 spawn close to each other and P3 and P4 are together on the other side. It's ideal to have P1 vs P3 or P2 vs P4 in 1-on-1 matches

GeniuswithJ

Smash Rookie
My Everdrive is only giving me the option to read the hex, I'm assuming I need to find another rom correct? or did I done goof?

Sluigi123

R64/Brawl- Dev; AI Coder; Balancer
NNID
Sluigi123
C ComJay I'm going to be completely honest with you on this one, but I feel that having 2 FD stages feels a little weird. Care to give me an explanation upon your decision? I'm more than happy to listen to your response. ;)

ComJay

Smash Rookie
C ComJay I'm going to be completely honest with you on this one, but I feel that having 2 FD stages feels a little weird. Care to give me an explanation upon your decision? I'm more than happy to listen to your response. ;)
The extra FD isn't ready to play on yet (and I doubt it would be any time soon) so I can still change it into anything. But I have not made any more models for legal stages, so that's all I have to put there

Falco_DJ

Smash Apprentice
Version 0.3 came out recently!
This mod is awesome! I think that the spawn points need to be set to the way the are on there melee counterparts, and maybe Pokémon stadium size should be scaled down a bit though. Is there a version that has the n64 fd instead of the melee version ? I prefer the n64 fd to melee fd in this game. :)

ComJay

Smash Rookie
Huh, I must have downloaded the wrong mod by accident could you provide me with a fresh download link?
Download link should be working. Original FD is the second stage on the stage select screen. It previews Planet Zebes

Sluigi123

R64/Brawl- Dev; AI Coder; Balancer
NNID
Sluigi123
I have an interesting question. For some reason, when using Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6 GFX Plugin, turning on the 'force alpha blending' option does fix the visibility of most projectiles, yet makes the custom-made stages dissappear. Will there be a workaround of some kind so that the custom-made stages stay visible?

EDIT: Nevermind; have to turn off a couple more things in the GFX settings to make the projectiles to appear better. XP

Last edited:

ComJay

Smash Rookie
I actually have ran into a similar issue when running custom stages on I think Not64 on the Wii. All textures are completely black.

ComJay

Smash Rookie
Version 0.4 is out now! And no How to Play stage unfortunately. It crashes exclusively on console for no apparent reason.

ComJay

Smash Rookie
Updated to 0.4.1. Forget I said the How to Play stage is gone. Read the changelog.

Bakasama

Smash Apprentice
Great work! Also it injects and works fine as a .wad, atleast on dolphin.
One small request is to add the every-color-code for characters. One big request is to redo the vertex lighting on smashville and change the pokemon stadium song to the one that plays on PS1 (melee).

But great nonetheless!

ComJay

Smash Rookie
Great work! Also it injects and works fine as a .wad, atleast on dolphin.
One small request is to add the every-color-code for characters. One big request is to redo the vertex lighting on smashville and change the pokemon stadium song to the one that plays on PS1 (melee).

But great nonetheless!
Heh, I wish I knew how to make wads correctly. I'll try to make Smashville look a little nicer, and I'm not sure if I can bring that song back since I patched over it. And most stuff seen in 19XXTE I don't think I can implement them. I don't know how they work.
Glad you like it though!

F. Ryan

Smash Rookie
Absolutely love this mod! Great work ComJay, very appreciated. I host tournaments for my friends from time to time (rather laid-back) and I'll definitely use this mod for the 1v1 K.O. playoff games.

We start the tournaments with 4 Player Free4All Prerounds though and I thought it'd be cool to build a ROM with some other custom stages that I've found on the Internet and that are maybe a bit bigger than these and therefore more suitable for 4 Player games. Most other mods only have one modified stage though, can you tell me anything about how you managed to change so many? When I try replacing stages myself my Emulator crashes every time. I've read something about HEX modifying somewhere, honestly not quite sure what that means though. Is there any documentation you have found as a basis for your mod? Thank you once again for the time and effort you put into this!

Top Bottom