• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBM: Version Converter/Patcher (32 bit) [Beta released]

LLDL

Smash Hero
Note: Do not ask for download links, post download links, or discuss illegal downloading of SSBM ISO's in this thread. That is not allowed on Smash World Forums. Either make a backup of your own disc, or search elsewhere.

This program will convert any version of SSBM into a different version. This will come in useful in the future when online play (via Emulator or Cube + Lan Adapter) becomes more practical and accessible for average users. Both players will have to have the same version or the game will de-synchronize. It may also come in handy for people that need to study a specific version, have codes for a version, and various other reasons, etc.

Note: This is not a region converter. It does not just convert your PAL image to work with an NTSC tv, and vice versa. This is a version converter. It will actually change your entire ISO into a different version of the game. If it is NTSC 1.2 that you are converting to PAL, it will become the real PAL version of the game, physics changes and all.

Currently, it supports the following conversions:

• 1.02 to 1.01
  • 1.02 to 1.00
  • 1.02 to PAL
  • 1.01 to 1.00
  • 1.01 to 1.02
  • 1.00 to 1.01
  • 1.00 to 1.02

Current release:
Beta 1 (Windows XP only) - 1/16/2011

Known issues/bugs of current version
  • You can't type in the directory of your ISO. Just use the browse function for now
  • Directory fields will flicker
  • Depending on what operating system you have, the binary file won't extract, leave a message on the thread if that happens.
  • Doesn't work on 64 bit operating systems.

Changes to be made for next release:

• Remove file selector, replace with default name for output ISO
  • Add 1.00 to PAL, 1.01 to PAL.
  • Improve GUI
  • Implement visual command line in the GUI instead of launching separate EXE.
  • Add 64 bit Windows Support

For a full list of differences between versions of SSBM, visit this page.

Note: The ISO has to be an original, unchanged ISO to work. It won't work with the template hssbm spqr.iso or hacked melee isos.

LLDL

Smash Hero
We do, their's is slightly different. Different logo, sound effects. But as far as I know, Japan is 1.0. Can anyone confirm if they have 1.1 and 1.2?

LLDL

Smash Hero
Some more progress. I now have all versions of SSBM and have created patches between them (difference only, no source image).

(I'm excluding the Japanese version until I find out whether they have multiple versions or not.)

I'm working on the GUI right now, here are the file size differences.

1.02 to 1.01 - 6.02MB
1.02 to 1.00 - 6.09MB
1.01 to 1.00 - 2.20MB
1.02 to PAL - 141MB

Since the conversion from US to PAL is so large, I think I will release multiple packages, one for each version, instead of all in one like I was going to do before, what do you guys think.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Ohh, that's awesome. I've seen some videos with 1.0 in action, there seem to be a lot of small fixes between the moves (slightly more lag when using multi-hit moves like Mario or Ganondorf's Up-B's).
Could never figure out 1.1 differences, though.

And with PAL... that's the one where Fox and such had some of their moves nerfed, wasn't it? I don't know if I've ever seen PAL Melee matches. Should be a good time if this turns out. :)

LLDL

Smash Hero
Yeah, PAL is the most different of them all. You should check out some of the PAL sheik or marth matches.

Here's the GUI I'm working on.

If anyone here is artistic and can design for me with photoshop (or whatever program you use), a user interface that is more appealing than mine, it'd be greatly appreciated!

LLDL

Smash Hero
Beta release 1

http://www.mediafire.com/?ccjc1q7u1axe197 - Windows XP only for now. It has compatibility issues with Vista/7. Compatibility for Windows 7/Vista will be included in the next release.

This first release supports the following conversions:

• 1.02 to 1.01
  • 1.02 to 1.00
  • 1.02 to PAL
  • 1.01 to 1.00
  • 1.01 to 1.02
  • 1.00 to 1.01
  • 1.00 to 1.02

I left out 1.00 and 1.01 to PAL, and PAL to all other versions because the file size would be inconvenient.

If you try to patch a version other than what you selected, the program will scan the ISO, terminate and you will be left with a 0kb image.. If you don't know what version your SSBM ISO is, try to patch it anyway. If it is the right version, after the scan is complete, it will then start external patch.

You will need to know what version your backup is before starting the conversion process. You will also have to manually type in the name of the output file when selecting a directory to save the output ISO.

Changes to be made for next release:

• Remove file selector, replace with default name for output ISO
  • Add 1.00 to PAL, 1.01 to PAL.
  • Improve GUI
  • Implement visual command line in the GUI instead of launching separate EXE.

Known Bugs / Glitches
  • You can't type in the directory of your ISO. Just use the browse function for now
  • Command Line will display C:/Binary/imagePatche.exe. There is no such file on your computer, that is just the directory
    that I used to store the binary data in to the GUI.
  • Directory fields will flicker
  • Depending on what operating system you have, the binary file won't extract, leave a message on the thread if that happens.

I need you guys to test this for me and report and known bugs/glitches you find. Also, anyone who is artistic that can come up with a cooler user interface, let me know :)

I will add support for PAL to other versions in a separate release.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Fixed the issues, but it only works on XP computers. It won't launch the binary in Windows 7/Vista. Minor fix. For those of you that still want to patch on vista, create a batch file with the command line;

imagePatch.exe "1.?to??.imageDiff" "YourISO" "NewISOversion" pause exit

But if you're not in a hurry, just wait for the newest download.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Gowa is currently designing a much cooler GUI. In the mean time, I've made some improvements to make things easier. Also, by the time I implement Gowa's GUI it should work with Vista/7 too ^_^

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
This is impressive. .02 to PAL and .02 to JPN? That's something to marvel there. How long was this under your pillow?

LLDL

Smash Hero
About 3 weeks to a month, or so, before posting this thread. :)

ILM

Smash Journeyman
I'm really looking forward to a Windows 7 compatible version. Hype.

LLDL

Smash Hero
I'm learning a lot more about programming and compiling in college, once I complete my courses this semester, I'm going to redesign the entire program =).

Bones0

Smash Legend
This will come in useful in the future when online play (via Emulator or Cube + Lan Adapter) becomes more practical and accessible for average users.
Not really on topic, but how close is the community to obtaining something like this? >_>

onlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemeleeonlinemelee

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Does this makes the Melee game appear to be a different version or does it actually make the changes (ie Flame Cancel).

LLDL

Smash Hero
Haha. Not gonna lie, I forgot about this for a couple of months.

Just now I was going to start working on it again, but unfortunately, my external hard drive that I had the source code on broke lol. So I have no source for this now lol.

Don't worry, I'm going to re-write it over, and better than it was before. It was only getting a small traffic of downloads so I'm sure nobody has missed updates. Expect something in like a week or two.

Kadano

Magical Express
The program linked in the OP works for me (on a laptop with Windows 7 32bit). I haven't tried it yet, though; I'll edit this post as soon as I know if the modified game works correctly.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Hmm interesting. That might make the difference (32 bit operating system vs 64 bit, not windows xp vs 7/vista). Thanks, i'll keep note once you post.a

Kadano

Magical Express
The converted iso I made on a Windows 7 32bit laptop plays perfectly. I just tried converting it again on a 64bit pc, but it doesn't work (when I click on "Patch", nothing happens).

LLDL

Smash Hero
Thanks, that's what I thought. I'll be sure to try and troubleshoot why it doesn't work on 64 bit computers.

Edit: Just a note for vista/7 users, run the program as administrator.

Kadano

Magical Express
I just tried it again on my Win7 64-bit computer and it works when used in admin mode.
I guess it only worked on my Win7 32-bit laptop because it had a hacked Windows with UAC disabled.

LLDL

Smash Hero
I see. I modified the program to run itself with administrator privileges, so when I get around to fixing some other stuff, I'll update the OP.

LLDL

Smash Hero
It is time that I released a new update to this program after 2 years. The new version will work on Windows vista/7/8 32 and 64 bit and will converter any version you have to any other version. Thanks to Kou, a Falco player from Japan, who made me aware that Japan also have versions 1.0 1.1 and 1.2, which are completely different from our 1.0 1.1 and 1.2. This means that SSBM has 7 versions, instead of 5 like I thought previously. Should be released in a few weeks.

Here is a screen shot:

SSBMversionconverer.png

Pac-Man Vs.

Smash Rookie
Imgur mirror of the screenshot (for non-registered lurkers).

What are the checksums for your SSBM discs? Do they match Redump.org? It's a database of disc checksums.

You're forgetting that there are demos for SSBM as well. They're almost definitely based on one of the regular versions but with some features taken out.

JP
Dairantou Smash Brothers DX (J) (v1.00)
Dairantou Smash Brothers DX (J) (v1.01)
Dairantou Smash Brothers DX (J) (v1.02)

US
Super Smash Bros. Melee (U) (v1.00)
Super Smash Bros. Melee (U) (v1.01)
Super Smash Bros. Melee (U) (v1.02)

EU
Super Smash Bros. Melee (EU)

Demos
US January 2002 and March 2002 (byte-for-byte identical demos)
EU May 2002
Probably other EU Interactive Multi-Game Demo Discs as well as some JP demos
Probably no other US IMGDDs with SSBM - all of them have been examined

SSBM movies only (no demos).
US October 2001
EU March 2002

A stand-alone hack of a Melee disc could probably re-create the demo conditions. edit: There is one file that is identical between the US demo and the US v1.00 disc (us.ini). Zero matches between JP v1.00 and US demo. It doesn't have a main.dol either. Perhaps even a corrupted banner. Very odd.

And the rest. Have not seen anyone who has these post more info about them:
Interactive Multi-Game Demo Disc (J) - I can't find anywhere that says which versions have Melee demos on them.
Dairantou Smash Brothers DX (J) (Demo)
SmaBro DX Event-you Disc - SSBM Tournament Disc with 3 Modes: 2,3 and 5 Minutes Battle.
---
Game Taikai Yuushou Kinen: Tokusei SmaBro DX Movie Disc (J) - Distributed to the winners of Smash Bros Tournament in Japan.
^Probably just a movie.

Oculus

Smash Rookie
Sorry, but Can I have a full tutorial on how to use for win 7? I have it converted, but What do I do with that file?

LLDL

Smash Hero
I don't plan to convert to demos though. Well, maybe if they are small files. And yes, redump is where I get my tools from.

LLDL

Smash Hero
When are you going to release this patcher?
Hey Kou, the program is basically done but I've encountered a bug where sometimes it does not convert, sometimes it does. I can't say for sure because I'm losing free time to work on it, but should be in a week or two.

Pac-Man Vs.

Smash Rookie
Chain-ace, can you upload the ImageDiff patches as individual files? You don't need to spend more time on the patcher program when ImageDiff is a pretty decent patcher on its own.

In particular, I'm looking for any patches to JPN v1.00, JPN v1.02, etc.

Top Bottom