• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBM Statistics List

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
in case you are wondering how I did my Wavedash list, I used the respawn cloud for all measurements except Ice climbers (luckily their rankings were obvious). Only by using the respawn cloud can they be standing in the exact spot.

There's more to it than that though. I do a frame perfect, 45 degree air dodge to the ground the same frame I would have been in the air. So it's a perfect, average wavedash, in a sense. Exactly.

Then that character is 1 perfect average wavedash away to the right of the respawn cloud position.

Then I have the 2nd character come out of the respawn cloud

and do a perfect average wavedash to the right again

(except THIS TIME, I make sure that I have the other character jump into the air, and land into them!! So I have to do a perfect wavedash but also make sure to be using 2 controllers at the same time while doing and thinking about all this. Honestly this is a joke to do compared to most other tests I've done).

It's easy to find out whose wavedash is longer this way.

Now you may be wondering, why the ties? Well, iirc, player 1 always goes to the left side of player 2 (it might be the right but I think it was the left.. It's been a while), if their pixel distance is the exact. So when any tests are close, I measure them from player 1 being pikachu and player 2 being sheik, then do the tests again with player 1 being sheik and player 2 being pikachu.

Doing it this way (with many retests to make sure I got an exact rankings), I can get an exact rankings.

You can imagine how many retests I had to do by changing the ports of the characters based on this

Most of these tests I used tons of very complicated methods to get exact rankings. I could go into them in detail if people are curious about specific tests.

ant-d

Smash Lord
Accuracy

How accurately were you able to measure "Short Jump Jumping Height" (and other things regarding heights/distances)?

This is important when there is absolutely no visual difference on screen, yet still a technical difference in distance (it will effect phantom hits).

Interestingly, there is no visual difference between the nearest miss and the 'weakest' phantom hit. I took a frame dump of both and the image is pixel for pixel identical (verified by a checksum).

Would it be useful to collect data to the sub-pixel level, or is it already this accurate?

Mew2King

King of the Mews
It was so long ago I don't remember anymore.

But I believe I based it on the ability to short hop onto platforms. (most important method of testing it)

(and when i absolutely couldn't find a difference in any situation, I would use Tiny Melee. But only as a last last last resort).

D

Deleted member

jason

you played ****ing godly at apex

like, what the actual ****

ant-d

Smash Lord
Short Hop Height

I used a different method. It takes the highest point the character gets to from a short hop on a flat surface.
It should be accurate to the smallest unit the game cares to measure. The 'SH max height' value is taken from the game's RAM; the value itself isn't really meaningful I suppose. Version 1.0 NTSC.

Character SH Max Height
samus 149178661
sheik 147820749
zelda 146864973
yoshi 146861296
peach 146059138
ganondorf 145849424
luigi 144496812
c.falcon 144433899
kirby 144402440
pichu 143542608
pikachu 143542608
marth 143537364
donkey kong 143123177
ness 142766659
mewtwo 142131223
falco 141005056
dr.mario 140423093
g&w 140423093
mario 140423093
link 140386395
y.link 140386395
bowser 140040366
fox 140029880
roy 140004715
ice climbers 139872591
jigglypuff 138452820

dkuo

Smash Lord
is your list obtained by measuring how high the landing detection point goes, or how high their hurtbox reaches in general? since there were a few discrepancies between your list and m2k's and he tested with platforms. @ant-d

Mew2King

King of the Mews
yea thats why i rarely use it but it seemed to scale the fast-falls the same (i did tons and tons of tests on that)

ranking order also seemed to be the same as far as i could tell

this stuff was made like 9 years ago tho so i dont fully remember everything

ant-d

Smash Lord
is your list obtained by measuring how high the landing detection point goes, or how high their hurtbox reaches in general? since there were a few discrepancies between your list and m2k's and he tested with platforms. @ant-d
It is the character's position on the Y-axis, so it should be accurate. It won't be the height of the hurtbox.

All characters have the same starting value on the Y-axis when they are standing on the same level ground.

Eg. Giga bowser has the lowest value for short hop.

There may be discrepancies because it wouldn't have been possible for Mew2King to have made such precise measurements at the time he collected this data. Although, that is not to say I haven't made any mistakes either; in that the coordinate methodology may not be the best way to measure relative height.

But those values are literally the highest point reached on the Y-axis for each character; using the standard x/y coordinates that places characters on the screen.

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
Are dash speeds and running speeds different? I play Falcon and I feel like my dash is definitely faster than Fox but once it turns into a run the disparity in speed seems diminished or nonexistent.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Are dash speeds and running speeds different? I play Falcon and I feel like my dash is definitely faster than Fox but once it turns into a run the disparity in speed seems diminished or nonexistent.
Yes, they are different. That's why Fox trotting (repeatedly dashing in the same direction) is faster than running for some characters.

Top Bottom