• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project SSBM: Stage Expansion [Memory Card Exploit]

Achilles1515

Smash Master

Fig. 1 - SSBM: Stage Expansion Stage Select Screen and in-game screenshot infographic

SSBM: Stage Expansion is a memory card exploit hack focused on the addition of competitive hacked stages to the default Stage Select Screen. This mod can be used on any modified or unmodified GameCube/Wii running a vanilla SSBM v1.02 (only!) disc or ISO. A single memory card with this exploit can convert any number of vanilla v1.02 setups at a venue with the Stage Expansion pack. The custom memory card data can be copied to other memory cards in normal fashion.

The creation and/or refinement of these stage hacks have developed in combination with the 20XX Hack Pack, and all are available in 20XX v4.07.

Download
SSBM - Stage Expansion v1.2.gci
SSBM - Stage Expansion v1.2 [IfComM2].dat

SSBM - Stage Expansion v1.2 + UCF 0.66.gci
SSBM - Stage Expansion v1.2 + UCF 0.66 [IfComM7].dat
- Alternative to the .gci file and requires 20XX 4.07. Download and replace the existing IfComM7.dat file in your 20XX ISO. Play that ISO and navigate to "Debug Menu --> Memory Card Management --> SSBM: Stage Expansion + 2F Smash Turn" to create the save file on an inserted memory card.

Updates
v1.2 -10/31/17

v1.1 - 7/4/17

Features

A rather minimal code set, disregarding stage modifications.

Stage Details:
Code:
Stage Swaps:
Original --> New
--------------------------
Princess Peach's Castle --> Mushroom Kingdom Adventure (Yoshi Battle)
Icicle Mountain --> Nintendo GameCube (Luigi's Target Test)
Mushroom Kingdom I --> Pokemon Stadium (Frozen)
Mushroom Kingdom II --> Pokemon Stadium (Frozen Grass Mode)
Poke Floats --> Greece: Mount Olympus (Snag the Trophies)
Yoshi's Island (N64) --> KirbyWare, Inc. (Dream Land with WarioWare platform arrangement style)

Notable Hacked:
KirbyWare, Inc. --> Large main floor, two wide mid level platforms, two smaller high level platforms (WarioWare style)
Jungle Japes --> Large main floor, single central mid level platform, no water or klaptraps
Green Greens --> Large main floor, two identically offset mid level platforms, no apples/wind/blocks
Yoshi's Island --> Medium main floor
Fourside --> Medium main floor, moving mid level platform, no UFO, some background elements removed and textures swapped for contrast
Nintendo GameCube --> Extra large main floor (same dimensions and blastzones as Final Destination)
Mushroom Kingdom Adventure --> Small main floor, two mid level platforms angle down toward center
Greece --> Extra large main floor, two identically offset mid level platforms
Kongo Jungle (Melee) --> No barrel, klaptraps, floating log platforms, and [bottom-right] rock platform
Pokemon Stadium (Frozen) --> No transformations, blue ground texture
Pokemon Stadium (Grass) --> Match begins and stays on the Grass Mode transformation

Other Stage Codes:
Brinstar --> No Rising Lava
Corneria --> No Arwings or Great Fox Gun
Mute City --> No Race cars
All unmentioned stages are vanilla.

NOTE: The instant ledge walljump (Doraki) "problem" that exists in vanilla stages with long, 90 degree ledge-walls is patched for all hacked stages for which it applies. This includes adding the ability to Scarjump upon dropping from the edge.

Additional Features:
  • Stage striking
  • Neutral spawn points
  • A+B for salty runback
  • Debug Menu replaces Tournament Mode
  • Normal C-Stick in 1P Modes
  • Stock dependent revival platform colors
  • Unrestricted pause camera
  • RANDOM Stage Select Screen (from the CSS) contains new names for stage swaps
  • "VS" icon on the CSS now displays a Battlefield icon
  • Lagless Fountain of Dreams for 4+ players or on Dolphin Emulator.
In-game memory card saving is disabled upon initiating the exploit. Gecko codes can be used on top of this modification, as well.

NOTE: Single Player Mode support has been purposefully ignored and will likely function with problems. Use this mod for VS Mode only.

StageSelect.PNG
Fig. 2 - Random Stage Select Screen

SSBM: Stage Expansion with UCF can be noted with the version number at the Title Screen and with a cyan "Ready to Fight" banner at the CSS.

CSS.PNG
Fig. 3 - CSS - Stage Expansion icon in the top left, cyan "Ready to Fight" banner only with the UCF variation.

Installation
Installation of the .gci memory card file for this mod follows the same procedure as other projects using the same exploit method. Please refer to the following guides, but use the "SSBM - Stage Expansion v1.1.gci" from the download link in this post:

20XXTE - Dan Salvato
SD Remix Lite - SDR Team

--> Simple Video Instructions <--
  • Covers placing a custom .gci file on a memory card using the Homebrew Channel and how to activate the mod after boot-up.
  • GCMM download, place contents within the "apps" folder as shown in the video.

After booting the game with the Stage Expansion save file on the inserted memory card:
1) Go to VS Mode --> Name Entry (this is from the Menu option, not from the Character Select Screen).
2) "Success!" sound effect will be played and the Start Screen will load with confirmation text.

As with all memory card exploit hacks, the Stage Expansion custom memory card file replaces your vanilla Melee save. 20XX Hack Pack (v4.05+) save data can simultaneously exist with a Stage Expansion save file.

Credits

This memory card mod has been on my to-do list ever since learning how to RAM hack stages. A few weeks ago, I finally decided to throw in the procrastination towel and start work on it.

Huge shoutouts to those who have contributed knowledge, codes, stage mods, and hacking programs to the Melee Workshop that have indirectly had an influence on the making of this SSBM modification.

wParam, Dan Salvato, DRGN, zankyou, Milun, _glook, etc.

Last edited:

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
Wow this is amazing! You and Dan should try an get this to work with TE.

Sebovich

Smash Apprentice
This is really awesome, and Im all for new stages but, is the camera on Smashville still the same as in previous versions? I love that stage in PM but I can´t enjoy it in Melee because the camera zoom is so weird.

Last edited:

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
Will we ever get a 1.00/1.01 version? I'm bought a full set copy of Melee with the box and instruction manual, installed 20xxTE just to find out I have 1.00 and that I can't use most of the features.

Last edited:

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
Wow this is amazing! You and Dan should try an get this to work with TE.
Dan doesn't want to add new stages, he wants it to be the most vanilla possible (in the gameplay), and adding new stages he doesn't want that.

Achilles, could we get the Link labyrinth's stages too? Maybe as Great Bay, and the variant is random (similar to the Gamer stage in Smash 4, where it's a random layout each time)

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
One day these stages will be at a big tournament. Its just a matter of time now. Probably not an evo or bighouse, but it will be a thing...somehere...at some time.

And I cant wait

Last edited:

Jonas

Smash Champion
I don't think all of them will. Gamecube and Yoshi's Island are pretty much identical, and they offer many of the same advantages and disadvantages as FD does. Imagine playing against Marth and you ban FD, Ok, he'll just pick Gamecube or Yoshi's Island instead and get even more advantages because they're also smaller than FD.

Mount Olympus is also just Frozen PS with walls. Generally I wouldn't add more neutral-ish stages to the tournament list. There's probably nothing wrong with each stage in and of themselves, although I can imagine extreme platform camping being an issue on Kirbyware, but they are simply redundant. Dave's Stupid Rule and the stage banning system have no purpose if you can just pick another stage that is more or less fulfilling the same function.

I'd love to see more stages used in competitive Melee, but they need to have more variety so you don't just get more stages that benefit the same characters.

Grass mode stadium is cool tho

Last edited:

dandeto

Smash Apprentice
Nice work Achilles! I didn't expect this to happen! It's amazing what you guys can do with a memory card. Now I can have extra stages with my hacked melee iso...

Acryte

Smash Ace
Will we ever get a 1.00/1.01 version? I'm bought a full set copy of Melee with the box and instruction manual, installed 20xxTE just to find out I have 1.00 and that I can't use most of the features.
Are you playing on a Wii? I stopped using a disc a long time ago. SD cards are super convenient.

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
I don't think all of them will. Gamecube and Yoshi's Island are pretty much identical, and they offer many of the same advantages and disadvantages as FD does. Imagine playing against Marth and you ban FD, Ok, he'll just pick Gamecube or Yoshi's Island instead and get even more advantages because they're also smaller than FD.

Mount Olympus is also just Frozen PS with walls. Generally I wouldn't add more neutral-ish stages to the tournament list. There's probably nothing wrong with each stage in and of themselves, although I can imagine extreme platform camping being an issue on Kirbyware, but they are simply redundant. Dave's Stupid Rule and the stage banning system have no purpose if you can just pick another stage that is more or less fulfilling the same function.

I'd love to see more stages used in competitive Melee, but they need to have more variety so you don't just get more stages that benefit the same characters.

Grass mode stadium is cool tho
The way that Sm4sh operates with Ω stages would likely apply here. [all PS stages, or all FD stages are banned together]

Last edited:

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
Dan doesn't want to add new stages, he wants it to be the most vanilla possible (in the gameplay), and adding new stages he doesn't want that.

Achilles, could we get the Link labyrinth's stages too? Maybe as Great Bay, and the variant is random (similar to the Gamer stage in Smash 4, where it's a random layout each time)
And maybe Mushroom Kingdom 2 Omega?

Btw, great work Achilles! I was hoping to see more memcard Melee exploits. Add in a few training codes and you've got 20XX Lite :b:

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
You know. Speaking of scar jumping. Brawl collision files have a flag for if you can wall jump or not. and they use multiple links on flat walls. I think this could be the way sakurai fixed the issue in later games. Theres always a small link at the ledge that extends right below it. I could start adding one to the model imports since brawl box makes it so easy to do collisions. Though itd push the current batch Im working on back a bit and I know people are getting antsy for it.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
This is really awesome, and Im all for new stages but, is the camera on Smashville still the same as in previous versions? I love that stage in PM but I can´t enjoy it in Melee because the camera zoom is so weird.
Yes, it is better and zoomed out further than the original version.
Likely not. This was just a little side project that I doubt I’ll ever take the time to port to another version/mesh all into one.

Definitely doable. I was debating on adding them but decided against it for no real good reason. Having a random variant would be a cool touch.
One day these stages will be at a big tournament. Its just a matter of time now. Probably not an evo or bighouse, but it will be a thing...somehere...at some time.

And I cant wait
Idk about them being used a big tournament, but I certainly wouldn’t be against it and the viewing experience would be quite fresh and interesting. Especially with new stage layouts like KirbyWare.
And maybe Mushroom Kingdom 2 Omega?

Btw, great work Achilles! I was hoping to see more memcard Melee exploits. Add in a few training codes and you've got 20XX Lite :b:
I was thinking about adding this one in, but I’ve never played on it nor inspected the details of the file. And it might be getting too redundant to add another omega in right now, although replacing an unplayable with an omega presents no downsides.
You know. Speaking of scar jumping. Brawl collision files have a flag for if you can wall jump or not. and they use multiple links on flat walls. I think this could be the way sakurai fixed the issue in later games. Theres always a small link at the ledge that extends right below it. I could start adding one to the model imports since brawl box makes it so easy to do collisions. Though itd push the current batch Im working on back a bit and I know people are getting antsy for it.
I do think that is how they fixed the issue. But I don’t see any reason for you to add more collision links to the files when we do not have a vanilla flag to disable walljumping. We already have a custom solution to the problem.

dandeto

Smash Apprentice
Achilles1515 Achilles1515 Is your vision for it to be used at tournaments, or just for fun? I can see it working for both, but I think only a few locals will use it in tournament. Most people I have met like the game to be completely vanilla in tournaments, but play hacks for fun/training.

Plaza

Smash Rookie
I'm really new to this, is there anyway this works alongside 20XXTE? Or can I only have one running at a time

dandeto

Smash Apprentice
I'm really new to this, is there anyway this works alongside 20XXTE? Or can I only have one running at a time
It's exploited exactly the same, so no it doesn't work together.
Can't you put some of the 20XXTE training codes onto an sd/sub and load it with gecko os. Then put stage expansion in the memory slot? Or would that eat up all of the code space stage expansion uses?

EDIT: I put some 20XXTE codes on a usb , and loaded it with nintendont (I couldn't get it to work with Gecko OS) alongside the stage expansion pack. It worked, the codes executed! I am not sure how much code space is available, but I didn't have time to find out today. Maybe later. I do know that in messing around with it, it froze on stage select once. I will figure all this out and make an updated post later, but I won't have the time for the next few days.

Last edited:

Akuji the Sniper

Smash Rookie
It's a shame that Single Player isn't supported, because mods that break other parts of games stir me away. That said, this looks really cool and I'm definitely going to follow this.

archavez

Smash Rookie
Sadly, I don't think so. Sorry. :(

dandeto

Smash Apprentice
Gecko code handler region starts at 0x80001800, and ends at 0x80004000, meaning that there are 2800 lines of free space.
Free space with stage expansion:
80001800 - 80003000 : 1800
800032e0 - 80003398 : B8
800033a0 - 80003498 : F8
800034e8 - 80003594 : AC
800035d0 - 80003694 : C4
800036d0 - 80003794 : C4
800037d0 - 80003894 : C4
800038d0 - 80003994 : C4
800039d0 - 80003a94 : C4
80003ad0 - 80003b94 : C4
80003bd0 - 80003e94 : C4
80003ed0 - 80003f94 : C4
80003fd0 - 80004000 : 30

Total free space left: 20AC lines
Stage Expansion Pack uses approx. 754 lines.

That said, any code used in 20XXTE that is publicly available can be used alongside the stage expansion pack through the use of Nintendont, or Dolphin. There is plenty of space. Just don't put a code in that is already running on the stage expansion pack. That is what caused my game freezing.

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
Gecko code handler region starts at 0x80001800, and ends at 0x80004000, meaning that there are 2800 lines of free space.
Uh, no, the code region ends at 0x80002FFF. 0x3000 is the start of exception handlers and 0x3100 is the start of the game code.

That said, any code used in 20XXTE that is publicly available can be used alongside the stage expansion pack through the use of Nintendont, or Dolphin. There is plenty of space. Just don't put a code in that is already running on the stage expansion pack. That is what caused my game freezing.
Nintendont doesn't even work with C2 codes, which comprises a lot of 20XXTE, and I can assure you most of Dan's codes aren't publicly available/commented.

Last edited:

dandeto

Smash Apprentice
Uh, no, the code region ends at 0x80002FFF. 0x3000 is the start of exception handlers and 0x3100 is the start of the game code.
Hmm, really? I got that info from the ssbm data sheet.
Nintendont doesn't even work with C2 codes, which comprises a lot of 20XXTE, and I can assure you most of Dan's codes aren't publicly available/commented.
Oh. That is why some of the codes caused a crash! I wish I knew that before.
I know that Dan hasn't released all of his codes, but I do know that some codes such as "Normal C Stick Functionality in Singleplayer Modes", "Flash White on Successful L-Cancel", and "Flash Red on Unsuccessful L-Cancel" are. The latter two happen to be C2 codes...

Last edited:

Acryte

Smash Ace
Yes, it is better and zoomed out further than the original version.

Likely not. This was just a little side project that I doubt I’ll ever take the time to port to another version/mesh all into one.

Definitely doable. I was debating on adding them but decided against it for no real good reason. Having a random variant would be a cool touch.

Idk about them being used a big tournament, but I certainly wouldn’t be against it and the viewing experience would be quite fresh and interesting. Especially with new stage layouts like KirbyWare.

I was thinking about adding this one in, but I’ve never played on it nor inspected the details of the file. And it might be getting too redundant to add another omega in right now, although replacing an unplayable with an omega presents no downsides.

I do think that is how they fixed the issue. But I don’t see any reason for you to add more collision links to the files when we do not have a vanilla flag to disable walljumping. We already have a custom solution to the problem.
How about modding that stage to have flat-uphill-flat. Just raise the right side. Would be a refreshing variant. So far most stages don't have any asymmetrical elements to them.

Top Bottom