• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBM Movement Drills

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
The idea behind this article is directly the result of a conversation between Cactuar and myself at ROM7. While cavorting around outside the venue, Cactuar mentioned to me that he'd been working on a new movement drill. Intrigued, I asked him to share the details with me over FBchat after the tournament so I could have it in written form. Within a week he contacted me, and by the end of the conversation (as usual) I found myself both thoroughly impressed by his method and itching to explore it myself. For the past months I've been examining his original drill & constantly reviewing it from different angles. Over that period I've shared it with players in my local area, discussed it at length with a number of players, and ultimately made a few minor adjustments here and there (though the core has remained unchanged). And today, I come before you with this: my take on just one of Cactuar's many good ideas. Enjoy!

Part 1/2
Part 2/2

Bones0

Smash Legend
Better frame data for dashes:

http://smashboards.com/threads/2014...nowledge-updated-1-2-14.339520/#post-16153183

Dash Frame Data

Data is like so
Character X - Y - Z (W)
X is the number of frames before a dash becomes a run when you hold the control stick over.
Y is the number of frames before you can fox trot.
Z is the total number of frames in the dash animation.
W is the number of frames to complete a wavedash, included for comparison's sake and is always jump start lag + 10
*fox trotting is when you dash the same direction you just dashed after the lag of one dash has almost finished and after the full run input window is over, which seems to be 20 frames across the board.
I'll give a full break-down of your dash options below

Organized by Viability (Tier List)

Fox 11 - 20 - 21 (13)
Falco 11 - 20 - 21 (15)
Sheik 7 - 20 - 21 (13)
Marth 15 - 20 - 27 (14)
Puff 12 - 20 - 23 (15)
Peach 15 - 20 - 21 (15)
C.Falcon 15 - 20 - 28 (14)
ICs 13 - 20 - 21 (13)

Doc 10 - 20 - 21 (14)
Pikachu 13 - 20 - 22 (13)
Samus 8 - 20 - 22 (13)
Ganon 15 - 20 - 28 (16)
Luigi 10 - 20 - 21 (14)
Mario 10 - 20 - 21 (14)

Y.Link 12 - 20 - 30 (14)
Link 12 - 20 - 30 (16)
DK 15 - 20 - 30 (15)
Yoshi 13 - 20 - 26 (15)
Zelda 15 - 20 - 22 (16)
Mewtwo 18 - 20 - 29 (15)
Roy 15 - 20 - 27 (15)
G&W 8 - 17 - 17 (14)

Ness 13 - 20 - 25 (14)
Bowser 13 - 20 - 28 (18)
Kirby 12 - 20 - 23 (13)
Pichu 13 - 20 - 22 (13)

By frames before entering run:
7 - Sheik
8 - Samus, G&W
10 - Mario, Luigi, Doc
11 - Fox, Falco
12 - Puff, Y.Link, Link, Kirby
13 - ICs, Pikachu, Yoshi, Ness, Bowser, Pichu
15 - Marth, Peach, C.Falcon, Ganon, DK, Zelda, Roy
18 - Mewtwo

Full Breakdown and how to use this information:
Options available in dash or running positions
During all times dash grab, jump, JC grab, JC Up smash, JC Up B, side B, wavedash, and sheild are available options
Frames 1-3: FSmash is also an available option (either direction! C-stick only for reverse FSmash). However, out out of a dash dance* this is not an option, only the first dash (or fox trot works too). Out of dash dance another dash dance, dash attack, or pivot are additional options.
Frames 4-X: Dash dance, dash attack, or pivot are additional options.
Frames X-Y: Dash dance, dash attack, pivot, enter run are additional options.
Frames Y-Z: Dash dance, dash attack, pivot, fox trot are additional options.
Running: dash attack, crouch**, all B moves, run stop, and run turn are additional options. Those last two are pretty bad options, crouch or wavedash is better.

*Dash dance is just to dash the opposite direction of the last dash.
**technically you move into run stop for at least 1 frame (if you do it right) then crouch.

A good note:
Holding the control stick controls the length of your dash. If you were to hold the control stick for 1 frame vs 15 frames, you will go considerably further when you hold it for 15 frames. However, If you hold it for two long, you will go into your run animation, which you may not want.

An example of using this data:
Say you want to move a fairly short distance and do an ftilt with Sheik, what is the fastest way to get the ftilt out (ignoring what will cover the most distance). Well wavedash will take 13 frames. Well by dashing, entering a run on frame 8, crouching takes 2 more frames, that leaves you with 10 frames until you can start the ftilt. This assumes frame perfection though, and while you can probably get pretty close to this because an instant crouch out of run isn't that hard, the ftilt probably will be. It's a close call but the wavedash is probably easier while the run and crouch method is more ideal.

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
I've read the same thing being said on other guides/articles you've written, but it's crazy how simple you break things down to. You've turned what would normally seem like hellishly boring tech grinding into...something reminiscent of repetitive music practice. I'm sure it could be compared to a lot of things, but this feels just like when you practice a new song, bar by bar, line by line, until it slowly becomes more natural. Great stuff. Gonna buckle down with my musical Sheik bud and finally get 100% control over those stupid-sensitive initial dashes and foxtrot stuff.

Any advice on somehow using this for pivoting practice?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I was going for music practice. :)

I'm not personally good at pivots but to my understanding a pivot is just dash-turn -- normally dash dancing works by dash-turn-dash (since you can dash on the first frame of turn) but in a pivot you're cutting out the second dash. So I'd try to base how I'm moving my hands around that & see what feels right. Then I'd go from there.

Sorry for vagueness but it's not a technique I've ever really put much time into :p

ReDDeFFect

Smash Cadet
Applying dash dancing and this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfBuAo_Bfvw

could be very helpful to players who have possible honed their tech skill to a medium level and are looking for ways to improve.

movement is very important because the better you are at movement, the more precisely you can control you character.

Ben Andrews

Smash Rookie
Nailing stage movement makes you look like such a pro. Jeapie's Captain Falcon, is something we can all strive for....

dfrogman

Smash Cadet
this too got me thinking about parallels between smash and music practice. shades of kdj's thing about playing the game like a freestyle rap, although in the context of this article, melee might be closer to a magical form of battle rapping where each rapper beatboxes their own beat while rapping to it. right now i'm trying out using an online metronome and performing the drills/"sequences" in the OP articles and others like them to it, trying to get inputs for things like wavedashing, dashdancing, SHFFxyz etc etc committed to the same sort of muscle memory that musicians train, if that makes any sense. i haven't tried this yet, but there's probably a way to use the frame data from stratocaster's posts to calculate an exact bpm relative to each character and practice frame-perfect play to that rhythm

Last edited:

Fyrelore

Smash Rookie
Just went through the drills with a metronome going on in the background. I find it wonderful warm up to get your thumb working and your brain into a beat that pretty much sticks with you when you get into a match.

Top Bottom