• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBM: HQ (texture)

Steelia

Smash Champion
[insert logo here :C]

!!!VERY EARLY DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE HERE!!!
http://www.mediafire.com/download/k3825b6nvni0e90/Melee_HQ.rar
+ Captain Falcon
+ Dr. Mario
+ Final Destination, Pokemon Stadium, Fox-Wolf and Ness-Ninten

Details regarding download here:
http://smashboards.com/threads/ssbm-hq-texture.294545/page-4#post-17935467

Something I've decided to pick up with my spare time... It's more an experiment to help me out with graphics in school (that's my excuse anyway, haha), but I figured... why not?

Seeing Melee's graphics today, they're a tad bit... outdated. I've always been curious to see how most/all characters would look just a little bit more modernized. Detailed even more than before, but retaining that bright, vivid, and hardly decorated feel we all know Melee for.

That's the aim of this project -- beefing up the look of the textures, but retaining the somewhat simplistic nature behind them. This ain't SSB4, and it certainly ain't Brawl... It's just my way of showing gratitude to the game I've spent so many hours playing while growing up.

Anyway... enough talk! Textures.

(Will likely clean up post a little more once I get more textures/recolors done.)

Special thanks to RuKeN for helping me out with testing and original feedback! Really appreciate it. :D

~~Official Super Smash Bros. Melee High Quality YouTube Page~~

*The purpose of this topic is mainly for some feedback. I'm very curious to hear of what people think. I'm not looking for heavy criticism, so much as whether or not I'm heading in the right direction.
In that regard, this is something of a preview topic. Once I finish up a character, I put it up for review, then... go from there.
:)

CHARACTERS

Dr. Mario

Mario

Luigi

Bowser

Peach

Yoshi

Donkey Kong

Captain Falcon

Ganondorf

Falco

Fox

Ness

Ice Climbers

Kirby

Samus

Zelda

Sheik

Link

Young Link

Pichu

Pikachu

Jigglypuff

Mewtwo

Mr. Game & Watch

Marth

Roy

Giga Bowser

Master Hand

Crazy Hand

Sandbag

STAGES:GCStart:

Final Destination

Pokemon Stadium

ALTERNATE COSTUMES

Melee Wolf (over Fox) :foxmelee:

Ninten (over Ness) :nessmelee:

Last edited:

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
This is awesome. Looking forward to Link, Ganondorf, and Marth, among all others. :)

LLDL

Smash Hero
You're definitely heading in the right direction man.

Smash Rookie
Very Nice, they even look better than brawl.
Are you going to be doing items or even stages as well.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
These look AWESOME. Good stuff. Keeping going! What program are you using to re-do these? Just curious.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Looks amazing! Although I'm not fond of jiggs and pikachu.
Care to tell? That's one of the reasons I made the topic. :)

And @everyone else, really appreciate the feedback, didn't expect to hear so many positive comments. :D

And lol,

Caleb Wolfbrand said:
oh Steelia, finally giving South Carolina something to be proud of
and if you're not originally from here DON'T RUIN IT FOR ME
I'm native, don't worry. XD

Steelia

Smash Champion

Tested him before, I swear, he didn't look any different. Without comparison... Jeez. Stupid flat fur textures. |:

DK... Scared me for a second, man.

(Top) Originals.
(Bottom) HQ.
Just for anyone who wants to point out how "DK DUN CHANJ AT ALLL", cuz he did. I promise. D':

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I think that the highlighted bright threading on Mario may need to be toned down a tad. DK looks great, though.

Rostigalen

Smash Journeyman
I think that the highlighted bright threading on Mario may need to be toned down a tad. DK looks great, though.
I also think that you don't need to make Mario's jeans lighter, keep them closer to the original color. Still very impressive.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Are you going to do one for each color as well? If you did that for the cast, I would replace all the Melee textures with yours for a true hd melee. That would be sick.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Are you going to do one for each color as well? If you did that for the cast, I would replace all the Melee textures with yours for a true hd melee. That would be sick.
That's the idea. :)

Been meaning to post up pics of Pikachu and such... Thanks for reminding me. Just have to jump on a computer that runs the blasted things. >_>

/continues Link

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
Wow this is a really good idea. Falco looks beast and I'm looking forward to how Fox looks.
Do u plan on working on items and stages too, particularly stages? If not, thats cool =)

Rykard

Smash Ace
every time i come to this thread i get so hyped for the final release of all of these in the future. this is probably the best thing that has come out of the hacking of melee in my opinion even though a lot of the textures other people are making are amazing as well.

Out of curiosity, what exactly are you doing with the textures to make them appear to be in such high quality? I see some different shading and such but are you using any parts of the original textures at all or completely redoing what was already made?

Steelia

Smash Champion
ahh, Much thanks for the comments, all. ^_^
Link's so demotivational, it's not even funny. The more textures... jeez. Can't wait till I'm done with 'im.

@Rykard: Ahh... I have no idea when I'm gonna release these, probably not for a good while. I prefer to take my time, tackling so many textures a day. Should've saved some of the easy ones for later, but I guess they made good warm-ups.
For the textures... yes, some of them like Mario and such, I just increased the shading of some parts (hat textures are stretchy and weird, can't touch them up too much). But others like Falco and all, I find/create background "fabric" textures for, so almost everything's remade from the ground up. I just use their original textures as a base, and follow the shading, adding my own touches when I can. Have to admit, I have to thank Brawl's textures for a lot of the details I've been putting into these, they make nice visual bases, but I don't rip anything from them. ;)

@StriCNYN3: Nooo, no plans for items/stages. I'm leaving those alone. @_@ Characters are one thing. But stages? Oho-
I remember seeing someone doing "realistic" Melee stages for Brawl's Melee stages. I can't seem to find that person, though... Was hoping he'd help me out by doing that, while I tackled chars. >:

Steelia

Smash Champion

Their accessories alone took me DAYS.
DAYS.
FFFFFFFFF

I'm SO glad these two are done. I'm still really afraid of Zelda, though. ;_;

Not sure who to make next, but, yeah. I hear Pound 5's around the corner. Maybe I could release what I've made so far (when it nears into Feb.), for anyone bringing textured stuff to that tournament? :) If they're allowed, anyway.

Pi

Smash Hero
do it and i'll rep em at the tourney
initially i only wanted to audio hack my melee because of the varying opinions on the texture hacks, but these i have no worries about people johning over em.

Steelia

Smash Champion
LOL, I play to play, so the textures don't really do much to me... though having dark characters on dark stages can leave me a bit confused.

Filler update.

Sandbag, LOL.

Geist

Smash Master
Sweet job, man. I'm getting into textures in school too, and doing something like this actually crossed my mind a few times before I stumbled on this thread.
I remember once seeing a really really well done Samus that had the same color palate as metroid prime's. It was pretty inspiring, as is some of your work. I bet these look great in motion.

Top Bottom