• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBB Snapshot files. We need to crack em!

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
EDIT: These websites no longer exist due to financial reasons.

I will be updating> http://ssbb.kakkoister.com
As new things are accomplished.

Thanks to all the hard work put in by the people in this topic, Especially "GTCoder" for creating the converter & "Xane" for making an online version.

We now have a online Brawl Snapshot converter in it's beta stages.
http://brawl.kakkoister.com/
It will convert most images you take in Brawl from .BIN's into .Jpeg's

Offline version located here:
http://GT.kakkoister.com

THP Video Converter
http://ssbb.kakkoister.com/thp

Replay file to Video service
http://ssbb.kakkoister.com/replay

(If the page looks messed up, it's because your using Internet Explorer. Switch to Firefox it's a much better browser.)

Phred

Smash Journeyman
I've also wondered about that. I'm surprised this isn't a heated subject of discussion.
So is each image a bin file, or does it just become one bin file for all of the images.
And here's an important one, try and take the SD Card (and Brawl) to another Wii and see if you can upload the images to there. It's important to figure out if they're encrypted just for Brawl or for a specific system.
It'll be harder to crack if it's encrypted on a per console basis.

Lingy

Smash Journeyman
I've also wondered about that. I'm surprised this isn't a heated subject of discussion.
So is each image a bin file, or does it just become one bin file for all of the images.
And here's an important one, try and take the SD Card (and Brawl) to another Wii and see if you can upload the images to there. It's important to figure out if they're encrypted just for Brawl or for a specific system.
It'll be harder to crack if it's encrypted on a per console basis.
There was a previous topic asking if saved games can be transfered through SD cards, and I believe the answer was no, so I'm pretty sure it's the same situation here. Can anyone shed light on this topic? I might be wrong.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
There was a previous topic asking if saved games can be transfered through SD cards, and I believe the answer was no, so I'm pretty sure it's the same situation here. Can anyone shed light on this topic? I might be wrong.
Well, that's just the Save Data. Most WFC enabled games don't let you do that, since the friend codes are tied to the console and everything.

blob

Smash Cadet
hmmm....

I'm guessing there is some form of pixeldata in there... somewhere.
I'll have a go at it tonight.

That file posted is A snapshot, right? if not... well. It'll be a bit longer.

Wish me luck.

PS: I need specifics on that file data. As much as you can give me. Hmm... what am I supposed to be seeing? For one. Anything else you can think of would be appreciated.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
True, you need to be3 able to understand the structure of the file to be able to do anything with it.
If there is pixel data in there that you can extract, is it encrypted? Or is it compressed?
Maybe we should e-mail Nintendo and ask them for the details. XD
Or like... a program.

2L84U

Smash Journeyman
Would have posted this myself.
just to point out a few things

1. the images can be either 4:3 or 16:9 in size. Does that matter ?
2. I've tried to read the .bin file myself but the file size is rather small (I got one just 99KB)
Would that point towards "only readable IN Brawl" ?

EDIT: The converter is OUT !!
Credits to GTCoder and Ondo

----->Download link HERE!<------

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142971&page=25

Here's what you do. Take some pictures, put them on an SD card and get them on your computer. Download the .zip file here and extract everything to a single directory. Put the screenshots in the same directory and run bin2jpgall.bat. It will convert them.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
Also stage builder and video data needs to be cracked, but this is a start.
Those will probably take a lot more effort, but I'm sure if it can be done, it can happen.
I mean, they cracked the Wii Remote data and created programs that let you create the Miis on your computer and upload them to the remote, so they could probably make a computer based stage builder program... Maybe.

Would have posted this myself.
just to point out a few things

1. the images can be either 4:3 or 16:9 in size. Does that matter ?
2. I've tried to read the .bin file myself but the file size is rather small (I got one just 99KB)
Would that point towards "only readable IN Brawl" ?
Not entirely, that's about the file size of the screenshots on the Dojo.
But that could suggest that compression is involved, and that would probably make the file extraction process a bit more complicated to figure out. Maybe. I'm only just now learning file manipulation and compression in class, so I only have a vague idea about how that all works.

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
blob: Yes, It's a snapshot file. Took a snapshot in Brawl and saved it to my SD card.
The picture is of Sonic and that little cloud guy from Mario games flying in the air with his mushroom on a string.

Everyone: Yeah, The file size is small. Which would make me assume 2 things.

1.) The file is merely data that the game reads that tells it what character is being shown. What move is happening. What frame the move is at. The angles of the camera. And the time throughout the levels animations that it's taken.

2.) It's a format like .png or .jpeg. That's also compressed. I would be aiming more towards .PNG since it would be the best kind of format to use with a game like this. Because of the compression techniques .PNG uses.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
blob: Yes, It's a snapshot file. Took a snapshot in Brawl and saved it to my SD card.
The picture is of Sonic and that little cloud guy from Mario games flying in the air with his mushroom on a string.

Everyone: Yeah, The file size is small. Which would make me assume 2 things.

1.) The file is merely data that the game reads that tells it what character is being shown. What move is happening. What frame the move is at. The angles of the camera. And the time throughout the levels animations that it's taken.

2.) It's a format like .png or .jpeg. That's also compressed. I would be aiming more towards .PNG since it would be the best kind of format to use with a game like this. Because of the compression techniques .PNG uses.
Can the pictures taken in brawl be viewed in other applications like the photo channel? If they are, then we know #1 isn't possible. If there aren't, it could be that...

.:Alex:.

Smash Cadet
Type ".bin file"in google and you'll find some interesting stuff which you could try.

VDZ

Smash Apprentice
1. Take a zoomed-in picture of one character.
2. Take another picture of 8 Ice Climbers.

Then, if the second picture's file size is significantly larger than the first, that means it saves instructions for the game to recreate that exact snapshot; not the snapshot itself.

TraverseTown

Smash Cadet
My video camera has SD Capabilities, if I plug the card into my wii, and take snapshots, and put the cardback in my camera, and upload the pictures as usual, I guess I'll be one of the best people on the forum when it comes to snapshots...:D

March 9th, though. :(

Son Saku

Smash Apprentice
My video camera has SD Capabilities, if I plug the card into my wii, and take snapshots, and put the cardback in my camera, and upload the pictures as usual, I guess I'll be one of the best people on the forum when it comes to snapshots...:D

March 9th, though. :(
Impossible.
The video camera doesn't read those images, since I already tried.

Vigilant Gambit

Smash Journeyman
Some information on Brawl data:

Save files are locked to their respective Wiis.

The .bin screenshot files are likely jpgs, but may be another format. Regardless of what format the screenshots are, I can tell you that these files are NOT generated as they are looked at: that is, they are straight-up screencaptures, not a "saved state" at a certain angle or whatever. If the latter were the case, there would be frequent (and long) load times when looking at the pictures. Instead, there are none. Also, there are thumbnails available for created stages, which are most definitely resized screenshots.

Screenshots can (and most likely will) be cracked at some point.

Replays, however, will never be cracked. The most we will ever be able to do with those is upload them to the internet to be downloaded, put on an SD card, then saved to the Wii. Those are the files that store session data, rather than actual video.

blob

Smash Cadet
There is only so many ways you can store a color.

And I highly doubt it is any .png .bmp .jpg .wtf.
Most likely the file is simply what it says, binary.
Which means that it has a file header (I assume because the .bin extension is hardly unique). And that means there is some data in the beginning that can help in cracking. Also there will be an arrangement of pixels in there... somewhere.

Okay.. I iterated over the contents of the .bin file.
And - not thinking it would work - I tried to directly feed the data right onto a bitmap. I got a bitmap so enormously huge, it crashed my system. ****. As 8-Bit components though... I try 16/32 next. Perhaps 64. After that (which I deem 'the obvious' way) I'll try and figure out the header.. that can tell us some important stuff.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Oh yes. Someone please figure this out. I've been imagining this since I found out about the snapshots. I really want to be able to move pictures from the game to my computer.

Ichida

Smash Ace
Bing-bing-biiiiing~

This seems to be the case.

blob

Smash Cadet
What was this picture saved in? 4:3 or 16:9 ?

I've found a few datapoints that might be indication of width/height. I found 1024 (twice) and 768 once. I'm thinking the resolution is 1024x768 and its saved in 4:3. The other 1024 might be some part of a pixel. The one thing that is bugging me is the 768 shows up before the 1024. Its standard for it to be width THEN height. not height THEN width... weird.

Also I got some gibberish colors to appear. lol :)
But with that run all the colors were in the beginning. Again, against standard... weird.

Does anyone know where I can find specs on how the Wii stores pixeldata?

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
So it is a picture, and not a collection of data and locations and whatnot like was previously said?

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
That'd be a bit weird considering the resolution the game runs at is 640x480 or 842x480 depending on your aspect ratio. Unless it upscales the screenshots?

Has anyone tried putting this on an SD card and viewing it on their copy of the game?

Surgo

Smash Apprentice
Can someone please perform the test given:
VDZ said:
1. Take a zoomed-in picture of one character.
2. Take another picture of 8 Ice Climbers.

Then, if the second picture's file size is significantly larger than the first, that means it saves instructions for the game to recreate that exact snapshot; not the snapshot itself.
And upload the resulting files? That would hepl very much.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
It's a generic binary file that can only be opened by the program that created it. Unless you can manually convert the data, the only way to view it on your computer is to emulate Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and even then, you'd have to take a screen capture in order to convert it to a png or jpg.

garbage

Smash Journeyman
Snapshots are just recreations of gameplay. I'm pretty sure the .bin file is just instructions for how to set up the situation in which the snapshot was taken.

T-major

Smash Champion
Snapshots are just recreations of gameplay. I'm pretty sure the .bin file is just instructions for how to set up the situation in which the snapshot was taken.
no. it's just a picture. a regular digital camera doesn't reconstruct the image whenever you want to look at it. it just... takes a picture... not to mention that that way would cause the file to have a LOT more data then it does...

but yeah. someone needs to crack this. whats the point of snapshots if you can't share them with people? thats ridiculous!

Exo

Smash Rookie
If this was the case, the snapshots should be smaller than replays, shouldn't they?
The .bin-files of snapshots are about 95-100 KB, a 3-min replay about 50 KB (I think..).
So imo there must be pixel data in the .bin-files of the snapshots.

Surgo

Smash Apprentice
garbage said:
Christ...I can't even bare reading this...
"bear"

If you're going to critique someone's grammar and spelling, you had best make sure that your own is perfect.
T-major said:
no. it's just a picture. a regular digital camera doesn't reconstruct the image whenever you want to look at it. it just... takes a picture... not to mention that that way would cause the file to have a LOT more data then it does...
A digital camera does not take snapshots of actions from a deterministic program. If Brawl wrote the file the way people have been suggesting, it would be small, not much larger.

In any case, the data does not appear to be a replay-esque snapshot. It's way too large for that.

tec27

Smash Rookie
What was this picture saved in? 4:3 or 16:9 ?

I've found a few datapoints that might be indication of width/height. I found 1024 (twice) and 768 once. I'm thinking the resolution is 1024x768 and its saved in 4:3. The other 1024 might be some part of a pixel. The one thing that is bugging me is the 768 shows up before the 1024. Its standard for it to be width THEN height. not height THEN width... weird.

Also I got some gibberish colors to appear. lol :)
But with that run all the colors were in the beginning. Again, against standard... weird.

Does anyone know where I can find specs on how the Wii stores pixeldata?
Your resulotion makes no sense. Why would the Wii, which can only output 480p (aka 640x480 image), save out something to 1024x768?

Therefore, we can assume the number we should be looking for is 640 (since in both 4:3 and 16:9, the width would be the same). If you look in that bin file, you will find 640 twice, but both are in the middle of the file. For anyone creating an image format, having the width and height in the middle of the file makes no sense, so this file must be further encrypted or compressed (or it doesn't give the width/height at all, and makes the game assume it from the other data).

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
First, you should try sending the snapshot via Brawl's "SEND" function to someone else, who then packs it on a SD card and provides us the file for download too.
With that, we can compare both files and look for changed bytes.
I hope that just the header gets changed.. otherwise the complete file is encrypted, which will obviously make the whole thing way more complicated...

T-major

Smash Champion
A digital camera does not take snapshots of actions from a deterministic program. If Brawl wrote the file the way people have been suggesting, it would be small, not much larger.
I have no idea what a deterministic program is, but you know a lot more about this stuff than I do, so I won't even bother trying to defend myself (I'll just get owned)

but is it possible that the snapshot file is being converted by the game when it's transfered to the SD card? as in, it's a normal PGN/JPEG file when it's in the game, but then gets changed to a BIN file when you transfer it?

Top Bottom