• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBB Snapshot files. We need to crack em!

blob

Smash Cadet
Okay, after we get screenshots...
We'll (at least I will) start on videos. For videos, we'll need to rip the data out of the ISO and get the algorithm down right. A lot harder... :)

So not for a long while will we even get screenshots.

YoYoBoY

Smash Cadet
in other words..we will not be able to use our videos recoded from the game, in the pc?
That's correct. You'll still need to use some sort of capture hardware to record video footage for your computer.

Tazoku

Smash Rookie
How did the game cube save its shots from melee in cam mode? And would the pic viewer in the brawl iso be of any help?

Surgo

Smash Apprentice
blob said:
So.. I guess were screwed, until someone gets the key?
Hey, look on the bright side. It'll be really easy once we get the key.

It is also, arguably, illegal, but I'm not up-to-date on my DMCA and I'm definitely not a lawyer.

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
Okay, yes (****) its encrypted. I think the index is still there but .. its under an encryption.

So.. I guess were screwed, until someone gets the key?
I have gone inside of the Brawl ISO. And extracted any files that I think may have to do with screenshots.

I've uploaded the files to my server here for you to download an examine.

http://kakkoister.com/snapshot/

99% chance that the key is in one of those files.

Sadly tho.. Nintendo seems to have put a custom encryption on almost every file on the disc.

Almost every single file is .PAC, even texture files.... -_-

Phred

Smash Journeyman
Actually, verifying if the encryption is simply for Brawl in general or tied to the console would be great to know.
Then we can upload our Custom Stage files for people to download!

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
Wow, way too much effort, here. How abouts you just use a video capture card? That = easier.
Firstly.. Not everyone has a video card capable of TV input.

Secondly. Cracking the files is something that needs to be done anyways.

If they all use the same encryption key, then wed be able to see all the textures for those characters that weren't included in the game, But are on the disc.

Lastly, If we can find a way of viewing these image files. Then a simple converter can be made so that anyone can simply take there snapshot files and convert them into normal image files. Without needing to really know much about computers.

ThunderHero

Smash Apprentice
I just though of something. Is there a way you can send the picture to yourself seeing as you can send mail to cellphones/computers ect. or is there no way to even get the file outside of brawl?

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
I just though of something. Is there a way you can send the picture to yourself seeing as you can send mail to cellphones/computers ect. or is there no way to even get the file outside of brawl?
Snapshot files can be backed up on your SD card.

If you took the time to read the very first post of this topic. You would see that the problem we have is not obtaining the file. But that the problem is finding a way to view the image that's in the files, on a computer.

The mail option allows you to send the file to another person, so they can view it IN BRAWL also. And that is all it's for.

blob

Smash Cadet
I have gone inside of the Brawl ISO. And extracted any files that I think may have to do with screenshots.

I've uploaded the files to my server here for you to download an examine.

http://kakkoister.com/snapshot/
Thank you.

I'll take a peek inside them later. (I'm getting everything ready for Valentines day for my baby tomorrow, we got together in high school (and I'm old as hell :D)).

But back to the files, thanks a bunch, if the key is in there, I'll find it. (I hope so)
Wish me luck. :)

It is also, arguably, illegal, but I'm not up-to-date on my DMCA and I'm definitely not a lawyer.
Just to clarify. I e-mailed Nintendo twice now. Both times I stated our intent, and they did nothing to indicate they did not want us to continue. So... we're home free. :)

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm...Quick thought BLOB.

Perhaps the key used to decrypt Wii ISO's work?

"removed"

That's the Wii Iso decryption key.

Tell me when you've downloaded it, so I can remove it after.

blob

Smash Cadet
Thanks I'll try that. :)

Much appreciated, if it works, you'll know -at earliest- friday afternoon. My girl and I are together all day tomorrow and work's friday.

Got it.

blob

Smash Cadet
Sorry 'bout this. [Accidental double post from servers having beef with me.]

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
Sorry 'bout this. [Accidental double post from servers having beef with me.]
Glad to see it's not just me. Yeah I'm having issues also.

Guess they missed something when they were fixing the servers in that downtime yesterday.

blob

Smash Cadet
Okay, UPDATE:

Home from work.
Got the pipe ready (a console I will use for testing keys).
Ready to rock 'n roll. :)

Get back to everyone when I get some decryption results.

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
Okay, UPDATE:

Home from work.
Got the pipe ready (a console I will use for testing keys).
Ready to rock 'n roll. :)

Get back to everyone when I get some decryption results.
Can't wait for a breakthrough...good luck buddy.

Heinermann

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I'm interested in cracking the format for stages, and right now I've been moving around the Brawl ISO, writing a program to seperate its files.

I've written a program that extracts the *.brres files, and the Melee/Brawl *.Dat format is nearing completion.

As for the files in the directory posted earlier in the thread (http://kakkoister.com/snapshot), I can tell you that none of these files are encrypted.

BRRES files can be handled with the program I made, it stores usually only models, palettes, and textures.
MSBIN files are raw binary data.
DAT files are USUALLY a format that is similar to BRRES, but contains more of a variety of files, as well as a table of pointers to more pointers, which is weird. Used in both Melee and Brawl.
PAC files... are some type of packaged data. I recognize some file headers in them, but I can't understand its format.

Program Here: http://www.mediafire.com/?7vwmmvew59z
Just associate *.brres files with it and it should work just fine.

blob

Smash Cadet
As for the files in the directory posted earlier in the thread (http://kakkoister.com/snapshot), I can tell you that none of these files are encrypted.
No those files aren't encrypted. Having core game files encrypted is... just plain stupid in my opinion. But thank you for confirming.

BRRES files can be handled with the program I made, it stores usually only models, palettes, and textures.
MSBIN files are raw binary data.
DAT files are USUALLY a format that is similar to BRRES, but contains more of a variety of files, as well as a table of pointers to more pointers, which is weird. Used in both Melee and Brawl.
PAC files... are some type of packaged data. I recognize some file headers in them, but I can't understand its format.
Thank you for describing each type. It will help in fully cracking brawl. :)
And I am just going to scrawl through each of the files in the /snapshot/ folder and plug in everything that looks like an AES key and see if it comes through as a valid image file afterwords.

When you mean extract .brres files. Does it extract readable model data? If so.. hell yes. If not.. what do you mean?

And I just finished up refactoring a crusty old AES library.
Almost ready to start keyfinding. (I took some breaks here and there for food and smash, I admit :p)

Emura

Smash Rookie
You can try that if you like, but I'll warn you in advance that the key used to encrypt the image BINs is not stored anywhere on the SSBB disc. It is a key common to all Wii consoles.

blob

Smash Cadet
;) is all I will say to that.

If you're right.. then that will save me a lot of work. :) I was going to try that key first anyway. Thanks again Kakkoil.

EDIT: Having a couple of issues with the AES library. I'm trying to not make it half-a$$ but I am trying to hurry with it too... soo.. yeah. I'll fix them soon, if all goes well I should have a readable image by morning.

Heinermann

Smash Apprentice
When you mean extract .brres files. Does it extract readable model data? If so.. hell yes. If not.. what do you mean?
It seperates the MDL and TEX files from the brres file.

If you're right.. then that will save me a lot of work.
He is right.

blob

Smash Cadet
if the vids are in bin format you can convert them to avi.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...-revision&cd=1
Sorry, no. The .bin video format is not only ENCRYPTED with a key that (I believe) is illegal to obtain but also is NOT a video. It's instructions to the game to create a video on the fly.

Thank you for your effort. Sorry if I sound waspish but I've had a good share of bugs. But I am almost done!

UPDATE:

Pictures are decrypted.
Pending results on image.

blob

Smash Cadet
Yeah the decryption is complete. (If all of our assumptions are correct, most importatly that it uses AES and the global wii console key).

Here is the image (decrypted) from the first post.
test - 0.09MB

I am posting it because I can't seem to conjure any image data out of it and thinking you guys should try. Here ya go.

T-major

Smash Champion
well thats good. I really hope that someone can get this to work, because I find the fact that we can't use them on the computer in the first place to be ridiculous...

thanks for doing this guys.

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
Yeah the decryption is complete. (If all of our assumptions are correct, most importatly that it uses AES and the global wii console key).

Here is the image (decrypted) from the first post.
test - 0.09MB

I am posting it because I can't seem to conjure any image data out of it and thinking you guys should try. Here ya go.
Furthest i've gotten so far with that image is having a single black pixel show. By giving it a Canon Raw Image format extension of .CR2

Heinermann

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't appear to be decrypted or decompressed since there are no noticable structures in the file format.

EDIT:

Ok. I have it sort of supporting DAT files, and RSAR files, with continued support for BRES files. A few bug fixes as well.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ceyvy1dudyb

blob

Smash Cadet
Okay, I now think its working. EDIT: Decryption is working. Thats what I mean.

testingimage - 0.00MB
testingimage2 - 0.09MB

These two files are EXACTLY the same for the first 16 bytes. It's the first picture posted. And the one that is the blackness of final destionation (in reverse order).

See what you can get, need to go. Good luck.

djgwiz

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone, I joined the smashboards just to come in and thank you guys for your effort you're putting into decrypting snapshots. This is something I hope we crack eventually, I'm really into photography and multimedia, even in games! Thank you guys for working on this, I'll be following you guys every step of the way!
-djgwiz

GTCoder

Smash Apprentice
Posting to say I've...got nothing really to contribute. Blob, do you feel sure that the decryption process is working, since the first 16 bytes are the same? I looked at the data for quite some time (and ran a bytecount...looked pretty evenly spread. Could the person who checked the entropy last time do it on the decrypted version?) I should know more about AES since I'm taking a network security course, but I don't know enough to know whether the size should be exactly the same when something is decrypted (as happened in this case, apparently).

The file sizes are exact multiples of 16 bytes, but that doesn't really help much.

I tried running two or three different LZ77 utilities (one of which supported Huffman and something else) on the decrypted file, but nothing seems to like it. I really feel like it's either a really weird proprietary image format, or else there's still some decryption/decompression step that needs to be taken. :/

Surgo

Smash Apprentice
The file sizes are exact multiples of 16 bytes, but that doesn't really help much.
Possible padding (AES block size is 16 bytes), possibly something to do with the image format as well.

edit:
Blob, when you decrypted, what mode of operation did you use? The files might not have been encrypted in ECB mode.

Cojiro

Smash Journeyman
This is great, fantastic work everyone.

Is anyone doing the same for the replay (video) function? I haven't heard anything about it. Is it even worthwhile, or limited to a set time?

Top Bottom