• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB64 on Virtual Console - Frame skip/other differences?

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
I know that here in the smash community we frown upon people making new topics on stuff that is covered, but I'm hoping to get some fresh conversation with active players of both versions of smash, N64 and Virtual Console.

I'm not a pro or anything, so the alleged "frame skips" that happen in the game, pass me by and I never even notice (I can still L/Z cancel fluidly, DJC, and all that jazz without a problem on both formats). What I can notice however, and quite easily, is how good the game looks on Wii on my 46" plasma. It runs with less input lag (maybe 4ms) than my N64 does on the plasma, and looks so sharp, when the N64 runs the game with closer to around 10ms of lag, and is pretty grainy. Obviously, I play on a 4:3 tube tv if I am playing competitively (which I don't really, anyway)

One more thing I can point out is that there is nearly no slow down, even with 4 players playing on the virtual console. This was an issue at times on the N64.

I personally like being able to count on my gamecube controllers a lot more than my N64 controllers. I have 6 for each system, and my N64 controllers are still in good shape (the ones that I didn't use much, of course I have some that are worn to **** too). I play about 50/50 between the N64 and the VC.

The game is just so smooth on the virtual console. I'd like to hear what you guys (ones who HAVE played on it, not the people who just heard "oh there are frame skips, **** it I can't play this game")

Living in the seclusion of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, it is hard to get anyone to play consistantly with me. There is nearly no competition for SSB64 or for SSBM, but people are more interested in playing with me if they can use gamecube controllers, surprisingly, even though I have enough perfect N64 controllers for everyone playing to use.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
i have played it, and i didnt noticed too much diferences, even more, my fox is better on Virtual console that on emulator XD

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
Yeah I think most my characters might be a little better on VC simply because I have played more smash on the controller than on an N64 controller

I just don't want to play on a classic controller. The buttons feel out of place

Battlecow

Play to Win
VC felt a little off when I played on it.

That might have been the GC controller, of course, but even accounting for that, I felt a little like I do when I play with ghosting or on Good connection online; like I'm struggling through molasses to get my moves out.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
GC controller is my favorite controller ever. But weirdly enough I don't like it so much for playing smash 64. =S

I think it's the shoulder buttons having to be full pressed every time and the c-stick being useless that annoys me.

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
is there any more info on these frame skips on smash boards? I was looking for something specific a few weeks ago and I couldn't really find anything. Besides, at the level I play it it may not matter all that much anyway...

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I play both versions of SSB regularly and I think they’re both great. Yeah the Virtual Console version looks fantastic on my 40 inch LCD and that’s with me running the game in progressive scan and 16:9. I run the N64 original version on my 20 inch CRT and it looks nice too since I have my N64 connected with S-Video but after playing the VC version I sorta notice the interlacing on the CRT.

I’m no pro so I can’t speak to the issue of frame skipping but the VC version does seem to have slight speed variances at certain times. Nothing too drastic but I sometimes notice it.

LLDL

Smash Hero
I like how you began the thread with the argument that VC 64 looks great on your plasma and has less input lag. Sorry, basically voided the post null for me.

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
Well Chain, just stating some things I notice on my systems and TV, you are free to state whatever you notice on whatever you play.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Having played almost every iteration of Super Smash Bros. 64 this is my list of best to worse.

1) SSB VC: The Virtual Console version wins out for me because it looks amazing on my 40 inch Sharp Aquos LCD running in 480p and 16:9. I also like the fact that four people can easily play since I have plenty of GameCube and Classic Controllers for my Wii.

2) SSB original console version: Yeah it’s got the blurriest graphics but I can use the awesome N64 controller with it and it’s also the only version I own which provides rumble support.

3) SSB PJ64 1.7: Sadly my graphics card won’t allow me to play this full-screen and the Xbox 360 controller doesn’t feel as natural as the GameCube or N64 ones do so this version comes in last for me. With a better graphics card and an adapter to use a proper N64 controller this would probably win out thanks to on-line support.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
I'm planning on maybe getting a GC, (I still don't make a desition between "GC, Wii or a 360" having in mind that my favorite game of all times is SSB64), so the question is...

What do I need to play SSB64 as best as possible on a GC?

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Or is it Wii?
I'm kinda confused. :S
You can play all three Super Smash Bros. games on the Wii. Thanks to backwards compatibility you don’t have to do anything special to play Melee and SSB64 simply requires that you download the game for ten bucks.

Dsc

Smash Ace
GC WII OR 360? lolwtf

WII=GC and 360's a whole different thing, so yeah just buy ssb64 from the wii shop for 2500wiipoints or whatever it was

tera twin

Smash Journeyman
I'm planning on maybe getting a GC, (I still don't make a desition between "GC, Wii or a 360" having in mind that my favorite game of all times is SSB64), so the question is...

What do I need to play SSB64 as best as possible on a GC?

What a minute, you can play SSB64 on the GameCube?! :surprised:
Or is it Wii?
I'm kinda confused. :S
Yeah, it's possible to play SSB64 on the Gamecube but unfortunately it's really laggy and buggy. The way you do this is via the SD launcher. Check it out here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM4DFaTGA8U

hack3r

Smash Rookie
My VC SSB64 seems to work fine for me. The rom I use with Wii64, however, is still kinda buggy and it seems to be more prone to lagging and freezing when there are 4 players.

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
I just got a N64 Hori controller from ebay, once I get it I may not use the SSB64 VC much anymore.

Oh btw I have some very good N64 controllers that I happen to be trying to sell... PM me for some info on that if you want.

As far as the VC goes, I think it is great, especially for 4 players and especially on newer TVs. plus it was 1000 points not 2500.

Game 'n' Watch

Smash Journeyman
I just got a N64 Hori controller from ebay, once I get it I may not use the SSB64 VC much anymore.

Oh btw I have some very good N64 controllers that I happen to be trying to sell... PM me for some info on that if you want.

As far as the VC goes, I think it is great, especially for 4 players and especially on newer TVs. plus it was 1000 points not 2500.
Controllers still for sale?

Top Bottom