• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB64 netplay on Dolphin emulator

smashfool

Smash Rookie
Why don't people play the ssb64 WAD on dolphin instead of still playing on crappy emulators like project64k? It runs at 60 fps and dolphin emulator is more stable than pj64k will ever be.

Shears

Smash Master
Why don't people play the ssb64 WAD on dolphin instead of still playing on crappy emulators like project64k? It runs at 60 fps and dolphin emulator is more stable than pj64k will ever be.
PJ64K isn't even the best 64 emulator yet people continue to use it. Its because the online community never wants to grow or change or get better. Theres a reason most data about this game isn't well organized or easily found and why its growth exists in the console scene. They want it to be a special flower and using a bad emulator with problems makes them feel like they've endured through something and have earned some special status as an online players. Its a sympathy card they all play for so they stick to the worst options. Like an old man refusing technology for his paper news, these people just like doing things the hard way.

smashfool

Smash Rookie
Well, im an online player but i only use pj64k because everyone else does and lack of people around me to play console but i agree with most of what you said.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Shears is kind of right. There have been better netplay emulators released, but the community has never completely switched over. There was a time in the late 2000's when Mupen was gaining momentum as a guy named okaygo was implementing Kaillera within it, but I think what caused that to not go through as the standard emulator was too many versions being released, and you had to use the same one with your opponent in order for it to work. That kind of provided a case of inconsistency and it was just easier to switch back to Project64k.

The reason Dolphin isn't used as a standard is because it requires a much more powerful computer to run it than Project64k needs. You're not just running the N64 emulator within the VC console on Dolphin, you're running a GCN/Wii that is then emulating a 64. IIRC, Pidge mentioned to me once that it takes more power to play 64 on Dolphin than Melee or Project: M because of this. I have been running Project64k since 2006, and back then I used a old computer for it's time (circa 2003, don't have specs but you should get the point). Try running Dolphin on that and compare. If we were to move on to Dolphin, then we would split the community even further leaving those who are running on potatoes to use Project64k and those with better PC's to use Dolphin, and I'm almost quite certain the majority of online players use potatoes.

It's kind of the same reason that the community doesn't have one central hub used for communication. We have a bunch of Skype groups, a subreddit, multiple Facebook groups, Smashboards, an IRC chat, etc. We are not a very organized community, and we seem to favor convenience over change. I'm not saying that's a good thing, but just how it seems to be.

Most of the online players have acknowledged the fact that it's a much different type of game online than console anyway, so I just deal with the flaws that come with. Would I like a more stable and accurate emulator? Of course, but I'm not going to be the guy to push the movement, because I've seen it fail many other times before. Same can probably be said for why others haven't tried to push a better emulator either.

smashfool

Smash Rookie
I guess so but i can run ssb64 on dolphin with a crap amd fx 6100 which is supposed to be bad for dolphin, buy yea most people probably dont even have that. Half of the community hates each other which is another reason for the division. People care too much about trying to act superior than someone and alienating people who don't meet the status quo.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Would I like a more stable and accurate emulator? Of course.
Have you tried AQZ? It's the best thing we got and lots of mexicans use it and some Twitch streamers a while back ago were using it was well.

It works for most standalone emulators, but since it's a plugin that means you can use whatever emulator and settings you want for whatever rom you're trying to best emulate. Not to mention it has golf mode which is literally 0 frame delay mainly for Mario Golf.

Shears

Smash Master
I think people need to just stop using pj64k and use better alternative, even dolphin. Sorry to all the guys with Windows ME and 256mb ram playing 64 online but you need to grow up/save up and move onto something better. If your focus is an improved online community then you should stop caring about having a maximum amount of people to play and start caring about better emulation. If these people all move over to better emulation than others will follow, those who do not will be left behind. The fact online won't move away from pj64k speaks loudly to how little they care about the community and growth and only care about making sure they get to play their same few friends online without pressuring anyone to change.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Have you tried AQZ? It's the best thing we got and lots of mexicans use it and some Twitch streamers a while back ago were using it was well.

It works for most standalone emulators, but since it's a plugin that means you can use whatever emulator and settings you want for whatever rom you're trying to best emulate. Not to mention it has golf mode which is literally 0 frame delay mainly for Mario Golf.
Oh yeah, I have used AQZ and loved it. LD introduced me to it and we used it to alternate in single player games, which was nice because we could do so without input lag. I'm always down to use it when others are, but I tend to just stick with the standard.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
I think people need to just stop using pj64k and use better alternative, even dolphin. Sorry to all the guys with Windows ME and 256mb ram playing 64 online but you need to grow up/save up and move onto something better. If your focus is an improved online community then you should stop caring about having a maximum amount of people to play and start caring about better emulation. If these people all move over to better emulation than others will follow, those who do not will be left behind. The fact online won't move away from pj64k speaks loudly to how little they care about the community and growth and only care about making sure they get to play their same few friends online without pressuring anyone to change.
That's because server owners like Paramount, Firo, Smash, Knite, didn't enforce users to use Mupen64k/++ over Pj64k like okaygo/near did when he got admin on EGX.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
That's because server owners like Paramount, Firo, Smash, Knite, didn't enforce users to use Mupen64k/++ over Pj64k like okaygo/near did when he got admin on EGX.
Honestly, if there was one way to get everybody to switch, it would be doing this right here. Forcing specific emulators to work with the servers, which is entirely possible. I'd switch my servers to do that if everyone else would, but I don't see it happening and my servers are too small to make an impact on just me doing it.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
I'd like to point out again that unless you're using windows 7 or an older OS, you literally cannot get a true 60 FPS experience playing online with pj64k. Literally any other emulator will work better because you can go fullscreen and get 60 fps.

Shears

Smash Master
Honestly, if there was one way to get everybody to switch, it would be doing this right here. Forcing specific emulators to work with the servers, which is entirely possible. I'd switch my servers to do that if everyone else would, but I don't see it happening and my servers are too small to make an impact on just me doing it.
That mentality is so counter productive and is why things cease and nothing improves. It is shared with all other server owners and online players. Heres what you do, force it on your servers and refuse to play anyone not using that emulator. Go into IRC and FB and keep pushing people actively until everyone follows suit. Waiting for someone else to make the switch means it will never happen. Honestly this applies to everything in life.

Want a console scene? Don't wait around for someone else to start it, start it yourself. Its what I did with Xanadu and what Sotoh did with LA.

Want that pretty girl in class to talk to you? Don't wait around for her to talk to you, go up and talk to her yourself.

Want that job opening thats listed? Don't wait around for them to call you, go and call them.

Want people to use a better emulator? Don't wait around for others to start using it first, go and start using it yourself.

Just like you, the pretty girl in class, the other local smashers, the other online smashers, are all sitting their waiting for someone else (you) to go and make the first move. If everyone waits until tomorrow nothing gets done today. If you're not willing to make the change then you're part of the problem, if you're not pushing other actively to make the change then you're part of the problem, and if you're not encouraging those with other servers and in charge to make the change then you're part of the problem. Fireblaster is the only person I've seen asking and pushing people to use better emulators, someone has already made the first move, so take comfort in knowing you only have to make the second move. The resistance to improve I continue to see from the online community just cements my feelings against them even more. They are a stagnant, antisocial, unwelcoming community that won't even do good for themselves, and the decision to passively and lazily decide to not move to a better environment embodies all of those terrible characteristics I bill them for. The console scene is moving forward while the online scene gets left behind, for any of you who complain about not having a console scene you need to make a choice soon, start your own console scene or move to a better online environment? If you choose the latter and wait, it may be too late for you and your online community.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Why the **** do you need cheats, since when is that **** more important than stability, compatibility, playability, etc.

Last edited:

Uair

Banned via Warnings
when mupen + cheats exist i'll try forcing switch on smash fu
You can create a gameshark save on PJ64 then use it on mupen64++

There is also a "gameshark.dll" file that only includes gameshark codes which are accessed by the Emulator and applied to Super Smash Bros 64 (U) rom when it's launched through kaillera.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Honestly it mupen64++ has a lot of very smart things along with it. Person who programmed it was sort of dedicated to this project which I'm assuming is why mupen64plus was based off their source code due to all the improvements upon the emulator it's self.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Also forcing mupen64++ should allow the detect rapid fire feature in Emulinker X if it's still there to work.

smashfool

Smash Rookie
Knitephox is too busy giving people like smasherx74 admin than trying to help improve online play.

Top Bottom