• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB64 IRC & Discord Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
After much deliberation and 20 billion skype chats being created a few of us went ahead and made an alternative.

IRC offers the advantage of heavy customization, lightweight memory use, and being able to ignore users thank the ****ing lord

how to connect simple: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net/#ssb64 choose your name
if you have an IRC client like mIRC or chatzilla or whatever (MUCH BETTER THAN THE ABOVE METHOD), server is irc.rizon.net and channel is #ssb64

HERE IS AN EXTENSIVE GUIDE ON HOW TO USE A BUNCH OF DIFFERENT DEDICATED IRC CLIENTS, THIS IS PRETTY USEFUL SINCE IT COVERS LIKE 7 DIFFERENT ONES DEPENDING ON YOUR OWN OS, HELL YOU CAN EVEN CONNECT FROM YOUR BROWSER IF YOU WANT TO

I WROTE THIS FOR /R/SMASHBROS AND I DONT FEEL LIKE WRITING IT AGAIN SO JUST follow the directions here except the channel is #ssb64 not #smashbros

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/wiki/irc

windows users i recommend mIRC, mac users i recommend colloquy, linux users i recommend xchat, anyone who doesnt feel like downloading stuff i recommend chatzilla

HOW TO IGNORE PEOPLE IN MIRC:

say for example you're tired of my **** and want to block my messages from being seen by you: you would type /ignore pidge 2
the 2 is important because it tells mirc you're ignoring my ip/hostname and not just my name, so i cant get around it by changing my name

in other clients i have no idea how ignoring works but its probably also /ignore

Hi there! It's 2017 and it seems like everyone that used to come here have migrated to Facebook. Likewise, we migrated from Skype groups to IRC. The announcement is a bit late, but almost everyone has moved onto Discord. What is Discord?

Discord is a free voice and text chat app designed specifically for gaming.

Discord was born out of our own frustrations with the voice and chat tools we all use while playing games. It’s a bit strange that in 2015 most of us are using chat apps that haven’t been updated in years to play games that are updated every week. We deserve better.

Discord brings gaming communication out of the stone age. It's free, easy to use, and with you even while you are AFK.
You can use Discord on your browser too! Click the link below to be invited into the server. If you don't have an account, you'll make one there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
This is the best solution to having a central communication place for this community. We will also be getting a mumble server soon and we'll link the IRC and mumble server to each other for quick and easy access. For many reasons that I won't list now, this is much better than using skype. If everyone just goes back to skype when we have all this fully set up, then **** it I'm still not going back to skype.

caneut

Smash Ace
Everyone use irc.
READ THE FULL GOD DAMNED QUOTE. DONT TELL ME "oh this looks ugly" BECAUSE YOU SHOULD READ THE **** ****ING QUOTE

I didn't feel like installing a second time so just let it install then run after finished.
It's going to be a trial version. Ask PIDGE for a license, and you will have free mirc forever.

You should have MIRC opened, after some popups about buying the program just close everything besides the main window until it looks like this

if you don't see the smaller window, go up to file and "Select server"
Select your name and an alternative.

Now follow

You can click on all those other servers and hit the delete if you want it to look nice and clean like mine.

or

It might take a few tries to connect, but when you do you should see a window like this

Enter "#ssb64" with no quotes under the two pink lines, and hit join. There will be a list of channels under chat where you see in my picture just says #ssb64. I just deleted all the useless channels that are on this server and hit the "Add button." Which will pull up

It will look like this when you join

click on the top left for options (MAKE SURE YOU CHANGE THE FONT AND ****, beeping is a sound it makes when irc chat is not in focus and someone talks, flashing is notification when someones talks, if you dont like sound, spacing is space between posts, etc etc)

COLORS (you can click where i put pink dots, to change the background text bot)

PRO TIP, on your chat window, click on the top left again and hit desktop.

This brings the chat out of the main mirc window. Why would you want this?
Remember, this is a PRO TIP! You have to be a pro if you want to do this, so I will put it in another quote to hide it from noobs.

copy mine, or do it yourself if you wanna be special

REMEMBER! PRO ONLY! no scrubstills
LOOK WHAT YOU CAN DO THAT SKYPE CHAT CANT!
(those other options are for mods, have no effect if you are not modded)

YAY! MUTE PEOPLE YOU DONT LIKE AND NOT STARTING A WHOLE NOTHER GROUP CHAT TO SPLIT THE ONLINE COMMUNITY!
go ****ing switch now

Last edited:

caneut

Smash Ace
bump for righteous visibility.

DOWNLOAD MUMBLE!
www.mumble.com
Install it just like mirc. OPEN!

Both windows should open up at once. If not, hit Server > connect

Label (anything you want to name the server you will be joining)
address (the ip, this can sometimes be names like mumble.server.org)
Port (numbers)
name (the name you will join this server with.

So if someone tells you to join a mumble server, and gives you something like 11.111.11.111 9999, the first group of numbers, all the 11's and periods, is the address. 9999 is the port.
Another example, ssb64.mumbleserver.net 1337 (address port)

Last edited:

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
UNLOCK seconds in timestamps in MIRC

tools>>>>options>>>>IRC>>>>messages>>>>timestamp events>>>>[HH:nn:ss]

Studstill

Smash Ace
Why the hell is this stickied? Lobbying? The mods on the IRC chat are not joking around corrupt, terrible for the game, and I would hate to send any new players over there, they`ll run away.

P
Pending reconfirmation of this status it has been suspended at the request of Jacob and via my good will towards all and hopes for the future.

Last edited:

caneut

Smash Ace
There are some, said 'easier', irc clients out there but I'm not experienced in irc, pidge could you recommend an idiotproof irc client?

MCG

Smash Apprentice
There are some, said 'easier', irc clients out there but I'm not experienced in irc, pidge could you recommend an idiotproof irc client?
xchat is only free to use on linux, but in my guide post i provided a free alternative
http://hexchat.github.io/

HexChat is an IRC client based on XChat, but unlike XChat it’s completely free for both Windows and Unix-like systems. Since XChat is open source, it’s perfectly legal.

Settings

Edit: Change irc.thinkstack.net/6667 by irc.rizon.net/6667 since it's the new server. Actually, rizon should already be in the list of default servers. You just have to add #ssb64 to the autojoin channels.

Under autojoin channels, add #ssb64 and you're good to go.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Why the hell is this stickied? Lobbying? The mods on the IRC chat are not joking around corrupt, terrible for the game, and I would hate to send any new players over there, they`ll run away.

P
Pending reconfirmation of this status it has been suspended at the request of Jacob and via my good will towards all and hopes for the future.
Someone doing something with hopefully a positive intention towards improving the 64 community in mind? Seemed like something to put forward with the bit of housekeeping I've been doing. If it doesn't "fit" with the scene, then it can easily be put away.
For all issues I have with pidge :p, trusting her to run a relatively fair IRC channel isn't one of them.

Last edited:

Studstill

Smash Ace
Heyyo! I`m very passionate about Smash 64 and let`s say 'bullying'. Sometimes, lol, most times this leads to colorful language and a strong rhetorical tone. Detached indifference is not a possibility when the above two things are involved, but:
I appreciate the response, and will embrace your tone-changing ideals.

Yikes, Shaya, sorry to get that in right after your messge, I wish it weren`t true.
Edit: Wow dude, that was impressively fast and painless double post fix. Nice.

Last edited:

caneut

Smash Ace
<superboomfan> im staying here for a while
<superboomfan> don't feel like spliting anymore

Lobby to END SKYPE'S ENDLESS INVITE-ONLY GROUP CHATS WITH NO LOCAL IGNORE FUNCTION.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
and being able to ignore users thank the ****ing lord
I'd recommend you talk to Pidge about that Studstill. I don't think one means of group communication will have any different social issues to another. Also could I recommend a change to your tone?

"This shouldn't be stickied, this IRC channel shouldn't be the face of joining our community, as it is rife with harassment, in particular NovaSmash. People are using bots as a joke to accentuate this, and those people shouldn't be in the 64 community. If that cannot be resolved then you shouldn't be associating Smashboards with this".

In other words, accepting issues and calling for enactment of solutions?

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
Seeing how this got sticky I'd really like for the IRC to be moderated more professionally now. I don't mean not allowing people to trash talk each other but things like the gavbot shouldn't be promoted or other activities of that manner.

Now making a ragebot with quotes from various different members of the community instead of a single member is a different thing I wouldn't be apposed of. (^:

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Seeing how this got sticky I'd really like for the IRC to be moderated more professionally now. I don't mean not allowing people to trash talk each other but things like the gavbot shouldn't be promoted or other activities of that manner.

Now making a ragebot with quotes from various different members of the community instead of a single member is a different thing I wouldn't be apposed of. (^:
**** everything about this

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
the bot is gone and has been replaced by a markov bot

i wasn't comfortable with it being there in the first place but i'm pretty hands off with the channel

if gav was in the wrong here there wouldnt have been outside requests to remove it nor would they have been honoured

now can yall pipe down and just get in the channel to enjoy the markov bot's non sequiturs

[12:29:36] <gallant> we should definitely teach ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) to ****

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
and for christ sakes stop ****ting up my sticky with arguing or so help me god i will print off 1000 pages of lenny faces in size 100 font and mail them to your houses

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
current admin list:
-me
-fireblaster
-bloodpeach
-YBOMBB
-Funk

we are quite the motley crew

UNKN{OWN}iXi

Smash Journeyman
current admin list:
-me
-fireblaster
-bloodpeach
-YBOMBB
-Funk

we are quite the motley crew
I've always considered myself an anomaly in this community, so no worries people, I'm the guy who watches over the Watchmen and ensures there's no corruption in place.

Crazy how pidge doesn't capitalize my name, doesn't even show my full name, and I'm last.. bottom of the list material. That's the kind of corruption I stand against. But why are you still here, UNKNOWN, if you get abused like this? Because I have to take it. I never did anything wrong. I am the hero Smash deserves, and the one it needs right now. So I'll take this abuse. Because I can take it. Because I'm not only your hero. I'm a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Professor and Doctor of LUV.

Thank you all.

Oh and Shears, everything you said has been said/explained/discussed/etc. to/with gav for several years. I know you guys are new to the scene and may think everyone's a bully, but there's a history to gav that has proven he's unwilling to change. Some people in this community live in a bubble as if everyone's lives revolve around them, but that's not true whatsoever. They create these atmospheres because it's what they enjoy, whether they admit it or not they love the attention. People have tried, and still try, to be respectful, but the same problems arise.

Cane's right in that if gav just ignores the **** and more importantly, doesn't CAUSE the **** (which in many cases he does..), then the era of gavQuotes may end. At the end of the day, this is still the best community and cane is still the worst.

:094:

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
i can only capitalize one name per list, and, well, YBOMBB gives me free food

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I think you're missing my point.
My point is gav
I'm kinda missing the point on purpose, the 'let's end the drama' posts are almost as tiring as the drama itself by now

and anti bully pep talk I didn't mean you. I literally thought of a tacky auditorium with goody goody moms talking or sth

Last edited:

bloodpeach

Smash Journeyman
You guys are all so melodramatic.

Anyway, I apologize if anyone felt harassed or bullied by my bots. My intent was to gently poke fun at the quickness to anger that characterizes this (and really all) online communities, not to attack any individual. That bot is gone for now until I get these issues sorted out.

I'm committed to making #ssb64 a friendly place for everyone, so if someone is offended by one of my bots, feel free to contact me and hopefully we can resolve the problem like adults. We have enough drama as it is; I don't see the need to generate more.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
You guys are all so melodramatic.

Anyway, I apologize if anyone felt harassed or bullied by my bots. My intent was to gently poke fun at the quickness to anger that characterizes this (and really all) online communities, not to attack any individual. That bot is gone for now until I get these issues sorted out.

I'm committed to making #ssb64 a friendly place for everyone, so if someone is offended by one of my bots, feel free to contact me and hopefully we can resolve the problem like adults. We have enough drama as it is; I don't see the need to generate more.
Gallant is a high level bot

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
and for christ sakes stop ****ting up my sticky with arguing or so help me god i will print off 1000 pages of lenny faces in size 100 font and mail them to your houses
****ting up stickies? Isn't that a natural action involved with all sticky hazing?
:p

Novasmash, a fair warning to you
I consider the post you made that started this as ****ter-extremus level of crap. Continue to do that and it'll seem more appropriate to end you than it is to end other seemingly problematic users.

There seem to be enough people on the "good side" for it to be outright obnoxious that you continually lump (and in turn insult) nearly everyone around here due to your insecurities. As I said, social issues in group communication are going to exist in any medium; it's pretty obvious the intent here was:
"After much deliberation and 20 billion skype chats being created a few of us went ahead and made an alternative.

IRC offers the advantage of heavy customization, lightweight memory use, and being able to ignore users thank the ****ing lord"
And not to set up another corner/stand on the internet just for people to discuss you.

Last edited:

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
****ting up stickies? Isn't that a natural action involved with all sticky hazing?

Novasmash, a fair warning to you
I consider the post you made that started this as ****ter-extremus level of crap. Continue to do that and it'll seem more appropriate to end you than it is to end other seemingly problematic users.

There seem to be enough people on the "good side" for it to be outright obnoxious that you continually lump (and in turn insult) nearly everyone around here due to your insecurities. As I said, social issues in group communication are going to exist in any medium; it's pretty obvious the intent here was:

And not to set up another corner/stand on the internet just for people to discuss you.
what the hell are you talking about? how did I insult everyone? you got alot of nerve to talk about someone else having insecurities.

Fine I wont defend myself on this site anymore like a normal human being would.

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
where i come from, we haze stickies with poorly made reaction videos and moonbase alpha sound clips ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Studstill

Smash Ace
This thread should disappear. No one uses the IRC, and the Super Smash Bros 64 skype group run by Me has had zero problems in over 2 months. This can be easily verified. New players will now have the pleasure of banning caneut immediatley, or most likely will just ****ing quit, as usual. Stop shooting the community in the foot.

- Boom has shamed me with his skill and repose.
I still advocate the removal of caneut until he can act appropriately towards others, but now fully support the IRC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom