• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB64 and "Sequel" Redone Roster Ideas

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Since we have topics on how people would have decided the roster for Melee in addition to hypothetical games if SSB debuted this year, I decided to revive a topic on how people would decided the roster for SSB64 back in 1999 and possibly a sequel to your proposal.

Rules
The roster must have exactly 8 starters and 4 secret fighters
No third parties (this is the first entry, so it'd probably be a low budget title).

These aren't rules, but they are some extra factors that you can consider
While the secret characters were based on models of the starting cast, I will not make this a necessity, but you can add this if you want.
You can leave out any one from the official original 12 if you want (yes, even :mario64:).
For fun, you can also decide on which 8 characters you would prioritize next for a sequel if the game was successful (planning was during June 1999), giving a 20 character roster.

To be honest, I think that the original 12 was perfect as it was even though it wouldn’t be the roster that I would’ve made from the ground up. These rosters will be based on what I would’ve done if I came up with everything myself (assuming time constraints weren’t an issue).
I’ll just explain the changes or any controversial things.

Starter: :mario64::dk64::yoshi64::link64::samus64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64:
Secret: :luigi64::bowsermelee::marthmelee::ness64:
Yoshi and Ness are sort of weird, but Yoshi is more popular than any other series lead absent (Marth, Little Mac,…), and he had his own games. Ness has a distinct archetype, and Mother was relevant at the time as Mother 3 was in development.
Jigglypuff would have not been on my roster because I would’ve seen it as a pokeball assist.
Because time constraints are less of a concern in this thread, I’m replacing Captain Falcon with Marth as Fire Emblem was more established than F-Zero at the start of development.
As my last fighter, I’ll add Bowser as he’s THE villain.
If needed, I can have Marth use Link’s model as a base like Falcon with Samus, and Bowser can just use Jigglypuff and Dedede’s development time.

For my roster with 8 more fighters + last minute model fighters (they aren’t required, but why not), this is who I'd pick
Note: I would do a poll, and I’d need to extrapolate results as Bowser canonically won by a landslide. If I had to guess, Peach and Wario would have the most by a large margin, and Jigglypuff and Captain Falcon would be on this list somewhere. I guess Jigglypuff would have more votes, but I could be wrong.
Veterans::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::dkmelee::yoshimelee::linkmelee::samusmelee::marthmelee::kirbymelee::foxmelee: :nessmelee::pikachumelee:
First Newcomers::warioc::peachmelee:(:zeldamelee::sheikmelee:):jigglypuffmelee::mewtwomelee::icsmelee::gawmelee:
Clones: :drmario::ultdaisy::younglinkmelee::roymelee::falcomelee::pichumelee:
Unlockable fighters (no order): Bowser, Dr. Mario, Daisy, Young Link, Samus, Marth, Roy, Falco, Mewtwo, Pichu, Mr. Game & Watch
Zelda/Sheik: Zelda and Sheik are a weird situation given that they were decided as a pair instead of individual fighters. Because this is a cool gimmick, I’d add it. (to avoid spoilers, I would call them separate people in the trophy descriptions with Sheik having masculine pronouns).
Jigglypuff: The character was relevant at the time, and it’s easier to add.
Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch: These characters seem cool, and I have Wario in, so why not.
Wario: He was one of the largest omissions from 64, and his poll results would’ve been stronger with Bowser in 64.
As 20 fighters isn’t that many, I would’ve added a few clones to the roster. Young Link and Falco were suggested, and Pichu and Roy are easy shills, so they would still be added. Dr. Mario and Daisy would initially be alts, so why not add them. Because there’s no Captain Falcon, clone Ganondorf is not possible.
]

For fun I’ll also do stages:
64: Mushroom Kingdom, Kongo Jungle, Hyrule Castle, Brinstar (renamed Zebes), Super Happy Tree, Green Greens (renamed Dream Land), Great Fox (renamed Sector Z), Saffron City, Onnet, Final Destination, Duel Zone, Metal Cavern
Melee: Peach’s Castle, Bowser’s Castle, Mario Raceway, Kongo Falls, Gangplank Galleon, Temple, Great Bay, Norfair, Yoshi’s Island, Halberd, Fountain of Dreams, Corneria (Smash Remix version), Pokemon Stadium, Pokefloats, Archanea, Magicant, Wario Castle, Icicle Mountain (NES layout), Flat Zone
Final Destination, Duel Zone, Metal Cavern, Mushroom Kingdom, Hyrule Castle, Brinstar, Great Fox, Saffron City

64: Mushroom Kingdom is more notable than Peach’s Castle, and I have Ness as a starter. I’d probably try to make the 1P maps available for multiplayer.
Sequel: In terms of Mario Stages, Peach’s Castle (I prefer the 64 layout) and Bowser’s Castle feel pretty essential to me, and i went with a Mario Kart stage.
In terms of DK Stages, Gangplank Galleon gives us a more distinct area.
From the Fire Emblem series, I wanted to do a location from the Archanea games.
For the Yoshi series, I feel that Yoshi’s Island is a good location, and the layout is more distinct than Yoshi’s Story.
For the Kirby series, Halberd is a notable location
For the Star Fox series, I wanted something distinct from Sector Z for the stages.
For Metroid, I went with another notable location in the series.
For Mother, Magicant plays a role in both Mother games.
For the Wario series, Wario Castle is a notable location, and I think it can have just one map just like Yoshi.
I went with the returning 1P stages and then my favorite past stages.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So back in 1999, eh? Interesting

Starting roster: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultwario:

Unlockables: :ultpit::ultmarth::ultfox::ultness:

This was a tough one for me. I definitely felt this one focus on heroes before adding the villains and like to keep it that way. Only one closest to a "villain" would be DK and Wario. Pit would be a classic character, Marth for Japan, Fox and Ness being lesser known titles

Melee additions: :ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ulticeclimbers::ultmewtwo::ultdiddy::ultkingdedede:

This roster was based on popular additions that could easily make the sales. Only one that would be "shocking" is Ice Climbers and Zelda

Edit: If I were to add 4 more characters to make the series revenant (and since we had 12 newcomers in Melee counting Sheik...)

:214::ultfalcon::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt:

Heracross for being a better Gen 2 rep and heavy grapple game, Captain Falcon for some extra lesser known titles, Little Mac for a west rep that Japanese fans aren't used to (same reason for Marth vice versa), and Duck Hunt being a surprise choice

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
That is a tough one, and I’ll be honest, I think the original is perfect the way it is.

On the other hand: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultbowser::ultness::ultjigglypuff::ultpit:

Sequel: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultbowser::ultness::ultjigglypuff::ultpit::ultpeach::ultluigi::ulticeclimbers::ultzelda::249::ultkingdedede::ultmarth::ultfalcon:

Update: if I where to add four more: :ultdiddy::ultgnw::ultfalco::ultmewtwo:

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
EDIT: Now irrelevant post. I have new 64 and Melee rosters down below, focus on that post instead.

Starters: Mario, Pikachu, Link, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Samus, Wario, Yoshi
Unlockables: Bowser, Mewtwo, Ganondorf, Fox

Realistically speaking I wouldn't just settle for just eight for a sequel, so at least other content (mostly looking at you, Adventure Mode) would be cut, and I'd probably even try to get Nintendo to let it release in 2002 instead of 2001, but whatever, I'll do the "sequel eight" list, under the assumption that I came up with it right after 64 but before development of Melee started, with said list being:

Peach, Luigi, Meowth, Zelda, Diddy, Dedede, Little Mac, Mr. Game & Watch

Going back to what I said about adding even more characters past the "sequel eight", I'd imagine there probably wouldn't be much time to add too many more, regardless of whether or not I cut other content/ got Nintendo to let the game get pushed back, but I think another four would be doable, with said four being:

Heracross, Young Link, Captain Falcon, Marth

Edit: I have to admit, seeing others go back and edit their posts to do the same "extra four" thing I did is kinda neat.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I’ll bump this thread. I encourage you to do only 20 characters for the “planned sequel“ first, but you can also do 4 extra characters to tack on after (they can be modelled off of others like I did to reflect developmemt time or unique).

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
64::ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu:
Unlockable::ultbowser::ultkingdedede::ultmewtwo::ultmarth:
(Remember that those 4 were originally in this before being cut and later added to Melee and Brawl.)

Melee::ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultbowser::ultkingdedede::ultmewtwo::ultmarth:
Unlockable::ultzelda::ulticeclimbers::ultwario::ultness::ultgnw::160::ultdiddy::ultganondorf::ultpichu::ultdoc::ultfalco::ultsheik:
Note: Wario would have his Land moveset and overalls.
Edit: And Ganon would have a magic based moveset.

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
64: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu:
Unlockable: :ultlittlemac::ultmarth::ultfalcon::ultness:

Wanted to diversify it and have every character be from a different game.
-Little Mac is a Western oriented pick compared to the likes of Marth and Ness. Has some model similarities to Falcon and move similarities to him and Donkey Kong mixed in with some of his current kit. Will probably diversify further on down the line.
-Marth is based on Link initially, because of the similar build and use of a sword & shield, but has a moveset more similar to his current moveset mixed with, oddly enough, Captain America in the MVC games, albeit only slightly.

Melee Newcomers: :ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultpichu:Bros.,:ultmewtwo: or Meowth, Lyn, :ultpit::ultduckhunt::gw:
-Luigi is a semi-clone of Mario with some of his differences.
-Ganondorf, rather than a clone of Falcon, is sort of like an offense oriented counterpoint to Zelda, with a similar Up and Down Special, and a float like Mewtwo's. Again, he'd probably differentiate later on. There's no Sheik, sorry.
-Pichu Brothers have a duo gimmick rather than a self-harming gimmick. Unfortunately, I probably wouldn't have thought of Ice Climbers at the time, but at least there's another NES character.
-Can't decide between Mewtwo and Meowth. Probably wouldn't have added Jigglypuff without being asked. RIP
-Lyn is the FE promo rather than Roy. She fights somewhat like Marth, but with a quicker slicing style, and a crossbow rather than the shield, basically having a bit more projectile focus, putting her somewhat between Link and Marth.
-Pit is in here now. I feel like he would be the next most natural NES character rather than the Ice Climbers. I hear that flight was apparently a problem earlier on, but maybe he can have a float and similar jumps to Kirby, maybe? And the moveset would be a bit more like Brawl, but with some more elements from the original games rather than the made-up stuff.
-Duck Hunt is a special case, would be roughly similar to how they currently are. However, if we could get the rights at the time, Banjo & Kazooie (and Rare in general) might be more secure into this installment. If not, Duck Hunt is still good.
-Game & Watch Gallery was a surprisingly relevant series at the time, so I feel like keeping Mr. Game & Watch around. Plus we need more fun/weird newcomers than just expanding preexisting series.

This would be 7 unique newcomers, 4 semi-clones, bringing the total roster up to 23. Hopefully this is roughly equivalent enough, considering there isn't really a full clone (Luigi might be the closest).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Original:
1) :ultmario: I would have given him an extra jump
2) :ultlink: He would have the ability to reflect energy projectiles with his sword perfectly timed
3) :ultpokemontrainer:who would singularly control :ultpikachu:
4) :ultdk: his up special would be a vine swing, side special a barrel throw
5) :ultkirby: wouldn't change his mechanic
6) :ultsamus: A shooter is useful at this time
7) :ultfox: SF64 was huge; I'd give him a strife mechanic
8) :ultduckhunt: Everyone knew this game, especially at the time
Unlockable:
9) :ultyoshi: Still a Mario character- and would be a great surprise. Necessary to have in game.
10) :ultmarth: I think this is the way to introduce him, and introduce the intrigue
11) :ultness: It was just a magical reveal to me as a child, I cannot remove him
12) :ultgnw: A real tribute to classic Nintendo

Now for Melee in 2001... we apparently have 8 newcomers (and it seems others added four unlockables again? I'll add six like in the original Melee)

13) :ultluigi:needed addition, I'd give him higher jumps but fewer options than Mario.
14) :ultpeach: needed addition
15) :ultzelda: needed addition- she'd have a magic gauge
16) :ultbanjokazooie: I've convinced myself this is possible
17) Balloon Fighter- to honor Iwata
18) Meowth- he'd have Team Rocket interfere occasionally (like Wobbuffet as a counter, and a 4th wall capture mechanic)
19) :ulticeclimbers: Difficult to say this wasn't the right move
20) :ultolimar: to promote Pikmin ahead of launch

My unlockables take on a trend, of being enemy/boss characters
21) :ultbowser:
22) :ultganondorf:
23) :ultkingdedede:
24) :ultkrool:
25) :ultridley:
26) :ultmewtwo:

Since Brawl added 10 characters, I'll do the same (rough idea)

27) Isaac
28) Tom Nook
29) :ultdiddy: & Dixie
30) :ultmetaknight:
31) :ultpokemontrainer::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard: in the current way
32) Toad
33) :ultpit:
34) :ultwario:
35) :ultfalcon:
36) :ultlittlemac:

And since Smash 4 has 51 characters: (7 are DLC)

37) Chibi Robo
38):ultpalutena:
39):ultrob:
40):ultwiifittrainer:
41):ultrobin:
42):ultshulk:
43):ultlucario:
44):ultpacman:
------------DLC-----------
45):ultryu:
46):ultsonic:
47):ultsimon:
48) Crash Bandicoot
49) Rayman
50) Lara Croft
51) :ult_terry:

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
If you want to add stages to your proposed games like I did, you can choose 9 stages for your first version (preferably all starting 8 franchises get a stage+ a wild card), and then 29 for your sequel, 3 of which are returning from your 64 version. Also, FD and Battlefield aren’t required if you don’t want to add them.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Starters: Mario, DK, Yoshi, Wario, Link, Fox, Kirby, Pikachu
Unlocks: Samus, Muddy Mole, Ness, Duck Hunt

-Duck Hunt is unlocked by winning both Break the Targets and Board the Platforms with any one character or winning 25 battles
-Ness is unlocked by clearing Classic on Medium or higher with 3 stocks or less or winning 50 battles
-Muddy Mole is unlocked by ending stocks with meteor attacks 20 times or winning 75 battles
-Samus is unlocked by clearing classic mode on Very Hard with all other fighters or winning 100 battles

My reasoning for making Samus an unlockable is historical - she was considered somewhat of a mythical, legendary figure at the time who rarely appeared in Nintendo games so I feel she fits that "Melee Mr. Game and Watch" status.

Final Destination, How to Play, and Duel Zone are unlocked with Samus, while each unlockable character's stage (Planet Zebes; Jinbe Land; Onett; and Duck Hunt) is unlocked by clearing Classic with that character. Wario's stage is Rice Beach. Assist Trophies also appear, but are called "Assist Dolls", they are simple 2D images and only do one thing, similar to Poke Balls in Smash 64.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Starting Roster: :ultluigi::ultdk::ultkirby::ultlink::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultsamus::ultfalcon: Secret fighters: :ultbanjokazooie::ultkingdedede::ultyoshi::ultgnw:

Melee: :ultpit::ultlittlemac::ultdiddy::ultfalco::ultwario::ultzelda: :ultridley::ultganondorf::ultbowser::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmetaknight::ultyounglink::ultpeach:

Brawl: :ultryu::ultsheik: :ultbowserjr: :ultolimar::ultkrool::ultmewtwo::ultduckhunt::ultpalutena::ultness::ultdaisy:

Smash 4: :ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom:Lyn :ultcorrinf::ultrobin::ultike:DLC: :ulticeclimbers::ultsimon::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucas::ultmegaman::ultwolf::ultshulk:

:joyful:
Bruh

No Mario 🤔

I think I'm gonna slightly modify my roster a bit

64: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultwario: Unlockables: :ultpit::ultmarth::ultfox::ultness:

Melee: :ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ulticeclimbers::ultmewtwo::ultdiddy::ultkingdedede: :214::ultfalcon::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt:

Brawl: :ultmetaknight::ultluigi::ultlucas::ultolimar::ultike::ultkrool:Blaziken:ultlucario::ultrosalina::ultrob::ultvillager::ultzss:Krystal Isaac:ultsonic::ultbanjokazooie:

Wii U/3DS: :ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter::ultgreninja::ultisabelle::ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultdarkpit::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultwiifittrainer::ultbowserjr:Crash Bandicoot DLC::ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultryu::ultwolf:Dixie Kong:ultridley: Impa

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
For those who want to see my overall decisions, they can be seen with this link. This one does the 6 model characters for Melee, but I wanted to try something different since 20 would be harder.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
EDIT: Also irrelevant post, since it builds off the 64 and Melee roster above. Not sure when I'll make a new Brawl roster. Don't bother reading this post either way.

Brawl roster time.

Starters: Mario, Bowser, Peach, Toad, Pikachu, Lucario, Heracross, Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool, Kirby, King Dedede, Samus, Ridley, Wario, Yoshi, Fox, Lyn, Villager, Olimar

Unlockables: Luigi, Bowser Jr., Mewtwo, Meowth, Toon Link, Meta Knight, Kamek, Little Mac, Captain Falcon, Marth, Isaac, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B.

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Continuing on with Game 4

Unfortunately, Ice Climbers and Snake are cut

Roaster: :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr:Fawful, :ultdk::ultdiddy:Dixie Kong,:ultyoshi::ultwario::ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:Midna,:ultsamus::ultridley::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::249::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultness::ultlucas::ultfalcon::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultike::ultgnw::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena::ultsonic::ultolimar::ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultmiifighters::ultpacman::ultshulk::ultduckhunt:Bandanna Dee, Issac,:ultchrom::ultryu::ultbayonetta::ultcorrinf::ultkrool:

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
I'll do Smash 64 and some of Melee for now.

01. :ultmario:
02.:ultdk:
03. :ultlink:
04. :ultsamus:
05. :ultyoshi:
06. :ultkirby:
07. :ultfox:
08. :ultpikachu:
09. :ultbowser:
10. :ultness:
11. :ultfalcon:
12. :ultjigglypuff:

The starting 8 are perfect as they are. I wanted to keep Ness and Captain Falcon, and 64 is really the only time to add them. Bowser gets in over Luigi so we can have 1 villian. Debated on cutting Jigglypuff but kept here.

Definitely priortizing these 5 for a sequel: :ultluigi::ultganondorf::ultkingdedede::ultmewtwo::ultwario:

EDIT: In terms of stages:

1.) Mushroom Kingdom
2.) Kongo Jungle
3.) Hyrule Castle
4.) Norfair (New)
5.) Yoshi's Island
6.) Dream Land
7.) Sector Z
8.) Saffron City
9.) Bowser's Castle (New, Unlockable)

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
So, here's my rosters: (Had to modify and make some changes/fixes.)
1.:ultmario:
2.:ultdk:
3.:ultlink:
4.:ultsamus:
5.:ultyoshi:
6.:ultkirby:
7.:ultfox:
8.:ultpikachu:
9.:ultbowser:
10.:ultkingdedede:
11.:ultmarth:
12.:ultmewtwo:
13.:ultpeach:
14.:ultluigi:
15.:ulticeclimbers:
16.:ultzelda:
17.:ultsheik:
18.:ultdiddy:
19.:ultwario:
20.:ultfalco:
21.:160:
22.:ultdoc:
23.:ultganondorf:
24. :ultpichu:
25.:ultlittlemac:
26.:ultbanjokazooie: (First introduction of a 3rd Party?)
27. :ultmetaknight:
28.:ultpit:
29.:ultridley:
30.:ultkrool:

31. Toad
32.:ultike:
33-35. :003:/:006:/:009: (In their final forms)

36. Dixie Kong
37.:ultlucas:
38.:ultsonic:

39. Nintendog (unexpected character)
40.:ultolimar:

41. Garchomp (Replaces Lucario as Gen 4 rep)

42. Excitebiker

43. Geno
44.:ultmiifighters:

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Here is my Ultimate Roaster

Base Roaster: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultyounglink::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultbowser: :ultness::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultdaisy::249::ulticeclimbers::ultzelda::ultluigi::ultkingdedede::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultfalcon::ultmewtwo::ultdiddy:Dixie Kong,:ultgnw::ultmetaknight:Dark Meta Knight,:ultwario::ultsnake::ultpichu::ultlucas::ultsonic:Shadow,:ultridley::ultolimar::ultlucario::ultwolf::ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultrosalina::ultlittlemac:Midna,:ultgreninja::ultmiifighters::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultike::ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt:Fawful, Bandanna Dee, Issac,:ultchrom::ultryu::ultken::ultbayonetta::ultcorrinf::ultkrool::ultinkling:Porky,:ultrob::ultsimon::ultincineroar::ultisabelle:Skull Kid, Bio-Rex, Shantae and:ultpokemontrainer: (with:ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard:)

DLC: :ultpiranha::ultjoker:Adeleine,:ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbylethf::ultminminSteve, Dragapult, Ray-Man, Mipha and Geno, with Yamper and Tom Nook as DLC Echoes

Last edited:

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
This seems interesting! I need to get back to 1999, huh (I wasn't even born that year...)

For the first entry in the series, I am picking 8 starting and original characters and 4 unlockable ones based on the eight starting ones.
The starters are going to be:
:ultmario::ultbowser::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu:
Notes:
-I've removed Yoshi in favor of Bowser. It has always seemed mindblowing to me that Yoshi got in before Bowser, he is literally the most famous villain in the videogame industry. Bowser is not unlockable, as he is a completely unique fighter, based extensively on his appearances in Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World (he'd have his Koopa Clown Car as his recovery tool), and Super Mario 64.
-I'd argue to give Link his iconic bow instead of his boomerang. It makes way more sense to me.
Then, the four unlockables:
:ultluigi::ultness::ultmarth::ultfalcon:
-Luigi uses Mario's model as a baseline. Actually, Luigi is a full clone of Mario, so yeah, pretty much like in Smash 64.
-Ness too uses Mario's model as a baseline.
-Marth uses Link's model as a baseline. Perhaps it is not very widely known, but Marth's sprite as a Lord in Fire Emblem: The Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light actually gives him a shield, so he can definitely be based on Link, although I wouldn't give him Link's shield gimmick. As an aesthethic note, why not give him the Fire Emblem, as his shield? I suppose he could work as a semi-clone of Link much like Jigglypuff used to be for Kirby. Marth also takes Jigglypuff's unlocking criteria. Also, I'd remove Marth's tipper since it may be a bit too advanced for the first entry in the series.
-Captain Falcon uses Samus's model as a baseline.

Then, let me add a few things for the sequel!
The game is going to feature the "original" 12: :ultmario::ultbowser::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultmarth::ultfalcon: all stay. Out of them, only Luigi and Marth return as unlockables. Melee had 13 newcomers (14 counting Sheik), so I'll keep the exact same number. Among these 13 characters, one of them is going to have a transformation and there will be 6 clones.
Four newcomers are going to be starters: :ultpeach::ultkingdedede::ultvillager::ultmewtwo: all appear as starters. Animal Crossing appears as a Japan-only series (like Fire Emblem and EarthBound in Super Smash Bros.).
Then, for the three (and a transformation) newcomers that need to be unlocked are :ultduckhunt::ultwario::ultganondorf:/GANON. A few notes:
-Wario's moveset is heavily based on Wario Land.
-Ganondorf uses magic attacks like his fight in OoT. He is actually a lightweight and elusive fighter that packs a lot of punch. He can transform into Ganon, a giant, heavy, slow beast that wields two swords.
-Duck Hunt Dog appears as the NES representative. Unlike Duck Hunt in Smash 4, here. he is a lot more cartoonish, walking on his hind legs.

Finally, let me add the clones:
:ultzelda::ultroy::183::ultbowserjr::ultfalco:IMAJIN
Notes:
-Zelda is a clone of Peach. She replaces Toad with a Triforce counter, Turnip with a light burst, Peach Bomber gets a particle effect and Parasol is ditched entirely for Farore's Wind (probably renamed, because her moveset does not match the three main spells at all).
-Roy retains his status of clone of Marth, but he gets the tipper gimmick. Also, generally speaking, Roy is going to be a lot calmer than in Melee. He also doesn't wield a shield (it was an aesthetic detail on Marth to begin with, so...).
-Marill is a clone of Pikachu. Replace its electric attacks with ones based on water and you're good to go. Probably Thunder would need to become a water burst right from Marill's feet or something, but I doubt it would hardly be a concern.
-Bowser Jr. is a clone of Bowser, making his worldwide debut (appearing even before Super Mario Sunshine). He'd work like Young Link did with Link.
-Falco retains his status as a clone of Fox.
-Imajin appears as a clone of Mario, replacing his down special with Peach's.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Smash 64:
redone 64 Roster.png

most of the characters in the first game make perfect sense, however there are some things I would do differently
-Meowth replaces Jigglypuff. This is a fairly standard pick but Meowth gets in for being a major character in the anime
-Bowser replaces Yoshi. Even though Yoshi isn't a Mario character according to Smash, come on, he's basically a Mario rep in disguise.Bowser is the most iconic video game villain of all time, so him being here is perfectly justified
-Balloon Fighter replaces Ness. To represent a classic Nintendo game. I think he fits right in with the Nintendo all-stars
-Captain Falcon gets to stay because due to being based on the Smash 64 prototype he's basically impossible to get later

Super Smash Bros. the Second:
redone Melee Roster.png

Every character returns of course, and these 8 would be prioritized
-Peach and Zelda require no expanation
-Ganondorf is Nintendo's 2nd most iconic villain, pretty obvious pick. And no clone moveset this time.
-Yoshi is another obvious one
-Ness gets in here instead of 64
-Mr. Game & Watch represents Nintendo's origin
-Ice Climbers is chosen for their unique moveset
-King Dedede gives Kirby a 2nd rep and is another iconic heavyweight villain

4 extras:
redone Melee Roster 2.png

-Toad is the most important Mario character not here
-Wario is probably the biggest unrepresented series not in yet
-Marth is from a relatively major (at the time) franchise
-Marill is one of the more popular Johto mons

and to bring the roster up to the original number of 26 I added 2 extra clones:
Melee Roster 3.png

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Since I want to bump this topic again, I’ll also share my Brawl and For Rosters here (for Ultimate, just add Alph as an echo, Isaac base game, replace Sephiroth with Tidus (I like FFX).

For the Brawl roster, I‘ll give myself 39 fighters, with four being low effort fighters (i.e. Jigglypuff-esque or (Semi/Pseudo)-Clones) just like there was Lucas and the three SSE characters in Brawl.
For the For games, I’ll give myself 48 “unique“ fighters and three low effort clones for base game in addition to 7 DLC fighters later on.

Brawl
Veterans: :4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::ultdaisy::4dk::4yoshi::4wario2::4link::sheilda::4samus::4kirby::4fox::4falco::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4marth::4ness::popo::4gaw:
Newcomers::4diddy::4ganondorf::4tlink::4zss::4myfriends::4dedede::4metaknight::wolf::pt::4lucario::4lucas::4olimar::4rob::4pit::snake::4sonic:
Unlockable characters (unordered): Daisy, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Marth, Falco, Wolf, Lucas, Jigglypuff, Lucario, R.O.B., Mr. Game & Watch
  • If I had to guess, Mewtwo would probably be the buggy veteran, so it stays cut.
  • Daisy takes Ganondorf’s original spot.
  • With Wario in Melee, I decided to allocate his original development time to bringing in a unique Ganondorf
  • I’m fine with the other Brawl additions as is. Zero Suit Samus and R.O.B. seem like interesting choices, and Pokemon Trainer is the player character. One thing that I’ll note is that Zero Suit Samus is standalone.

For
Veterans::4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4drmario::ultdaisy::4dk::4diddy::4yoshi::4wario2::4link::zeldamelee::sheikmelee::4ganondorf::4tlink::4samus::4zss::4marth::4myfriends::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4fox::4falco::4ness::4pikachu::4mewtwo::4charizard::4lucario::4olimar::4gaw::4rob::4pit::4sonic:
Newcomers: :rosalina::4robinm::4lucina::4greninja::4villager::4wiifit::4shulk::4palutena::4darkpit::4littlemac::4duckhunt::4pacman::4megaman::4mii:
DLC: :ultridley::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu::4cloud::4bayonetta::4corrin:
Unlockables (no order): Rosalina, Dr. Mario, Daisy, Marth, Lucina, Falco, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, Dark Pit, R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt
  • Cuts are the same.
  • Rosalina and Robin have fun movesets.
  • Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt are nice surprises, and Duck Hunt fills the retro gap.
  • I’d want to prioritize Mewtwo for base game, so Bowser Jr. is removed
  • Lucina and Dark Pit stay more or less because they were last minute add-ons.
  • With Mewtwo never cut, I’d feel pressured into adding Ridley, and making him DLC would let me take time to think of a moveset.
  • Corrin was decided later on, and given that her/his role was to promote a game, Fates did seem like the most feasible choice at the time.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Here's something I did a while back:
Starters
  • :mario64:
  • :dk64:
  • :link64:
  • :samus64:
  • :yoshi64:
  • :kirby64:
  • :fox64:
  • :pikachu64:
Unlockables
  • :luigi64: (Stage fought: Peach's Castle)
    • Complete 1P Game as any character
    • Complete Board the Platforms with :mario64:
    • 25 Vs. Matches
  • :ness64: (Stage fought: Dream Land)
    • Complete 1P Game with 3+ lives and no continues
    • 50 Vs. Matches
  • :falcon64: (Stage fought: Planet Zebes)
    • Complete 1P Game within 20 minutes without continues
    • 75 Vs. Matches
  • :052: (Meowth) (Stage fought: Saffron City)
    • Complete Target Test and Board the Platforms as all starters
    • Complete 1P Game as all starters
    • 100 Vs. Matches
Starters
  1. :mariomelee:
  2. :dkmelee:
  3. :linkmelee:
  4. :samusmelee:
  5. :yoshimelee:
  6. :kirbymelee:
  7. :foxmelee:
  8. :pikachumelee:
  9. :nessmelee:
  10. :falconmelee:
  11. :peachmelee:
  12. :bowsermelee:
  13. :icsmelee:
  14. :zeldamelee:/:sheikmelee:
  15. :212: (Scizor)
Unlockables
  1. :luigimelee: (Stage fought: Mushroom Kingdom II)
    • Complete Stage 1 of Adventure Mode with the time ending in a ":X2" in the second's slot, then defeat :luigimelee::peachmelee: in less than a minute and clear the rest of the mode
    • 10 Vs. Matches on Mushroom Kingdom
    • 100 Vs. Matches
  2. :052: (Stage fought: Pokémon Stadium)
    • Complete Event Match #37
    • Summon 100 Poke Ball Pokémon
    • 200 Vs. Matches
  3. Ayumi Tachibana (Stage fought: Onett)
    • Unlock 100 different Trophies
    • 300 Vs. Matches
  4. :falcomelee: (Stage fought: Battlefield)
    • Clear 100-Man Melee
    • 400 Vs. Matches
  5. :marthmelee: (Stage fought: Fountain of Dreams)
    • Clear Classic or Adventure Mode as all starters without continuing
    • Play Vs. Matches at least once with all 15 starters
    • 500 Vs. Matches
  6. :younglinkmelee: (Stage fought: Great Bay)
    • Clear Classic or Adventure Mode with 20 characters
    • Clear Classic Mode as :linkmelee: on Hard+
    • 600 Vs. Matches
  7. :ganondorfmelee: (Stage fought: Hyrule Temple)
    • Clear Event Match #29
    • Clear Adventure Mode as :linkmelee::younglinkmelee::zeldamelee: on Hard+
    • 700 Vs. Matches
  8. :mewtwomelee: (Stage fought: Final Destination)
    • Play for a total of 15 hours
    • Summon a Legendary Pokémon 75 times
    • 800 Vs. Matches
  9. :roymelee: (Stage fought: Hyrule Temple)
    • Clear Classic or Adventure Mode as :marthmelee: on Hard+ without continuing
    • Clear every bonus game in Classic Mode as :marthmelee:
    • 900 Vs. Matches
  10. :gawmelee: (Stage fought: Flat Zone)
    • Clear Classic or Adventure Mode as all other characters
    • Clear Target Test as all other characters
    • Clear 50 Event Matches
    • 1000 Vs. Matches
Starters
  1. :mario2:
  2. :dk2:
  3. :link2:
  4. :samus2:/:zerosuitsamus:
  5. :yoshi2:
  6. :kirby2:
  7. :fox:
  8. :pikachu2:
  9. :peach:
  10. :bowser2:
  11. :popo:
  12. :sheilda:
  13. :metaknight:
  14. :pit:
  15. :wario:
  16. :snake:
  17. :ike:
  18. :charizard:
  19. :diddy:
  20. :lucas:
  21. :dedede:
  22. :olimar:
Unlockables
  1. :luigi2: (Stage fought: Luigi's Mansion)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear Classic Mode with no continues
    • 100 Vs. Matches
  2. :ness2: (Stage fought: Onett)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Reflect 10 projectiles
    • 200 Vs. Matches
  3. :falcon:(Stage fought: :porttown:)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear Classic mode on Normal+ within 12 minutes
    • 300 Vs. Matches
  4. :052: (Stage fought: :ps2:)
    • After beating SSE, head to the Ruined Zoo and run away from the Pig King Statue without losing a life; you'll fight Meowth instead of Porky, and winning ends the level there
    • Clear 20 Event Matches
    • 400 Vs. Matches
  5. :falco: (Stage fought: Corneria)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear 100-Man Brawl
    • 500 Vs. Matches
  6. :marth: (Stage fought: :castlesiege:)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear Classic Mode on Normal+ as any character
    • 600 Vs. Matches
  7. :ganondorf: (Stage fought: :eldin:)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear Classic Mode as :link2::zelda: on Hard+
    • 700 Vs. Matches
  8. :mewtwomelee: (Stage fought: Pokémon Stadium)
    • After beating SSE, head to the end of the Path to the Ruins without losing a life; you'll fight Mewtwo instead of Wario
    • Clear Boss Battles on Hard+
    • 800 Vs. Matches
  9. :roymelee: (Stage fought: Temple)
    • After beating SSE, head to the end of the Wilds I without losing a life; you'll fight Roy instead of Galleom
    • Clear Classic Mode as :ike::marth: on Hard+
    • 900 Vs. Matches
  10. :gw: (Stage fought: :flatzone2:)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear Target Smash with 20+ characters
    • 1000 Vs. Matches
  11. :sonic: (Stage fought: :greenhill:)
    • Defeat Tabuu in SSE
    • Clear Classic Mode with 10+ characters
    • Play 10 hours of Vs. Matches
    • 1100 Vs. Matches
  12. :lucario: (Stage fought: :spearpillar:)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Complete Target Smash on all difficulties with any character
    • Get 5 KO's in Cruel Brawl
    • 1200 Vs. Matches
  13. :rob: (Stage fought: Mario Bros.)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Collect 200 different Trophies
    • 1300 Vs. Matches
  14. :toonlink: (Stage fought: :pirateship:)
    • After beating SSE, head to the Lake; you'll fight Toon Link instead of Rayquaza, and winning ends the level there
    • Clear Classic Mode as :link2::zelda::ganondorf: without continuing
    • 1400 Vs. Matches
  15. :wolf: (Stage fought: :lylat:)
    • After beating SSE, head to the end of the Glacier without losing a life; you'll fight Wolf instead of Meta Knight/Lucario
    • Clear Boss Battles on any difficulty
    • 1500 Vs. Matches
Starters
  1. :4mario:
  2. :4dk:
  3. :4link:
  4. :4samus:
  5. :4yoshi:
  6. :4kirby:
  7. :4fox:
  8. :4pikachu:
  9. :4luigi:
  10. :4falcon:
  11. :4peach:
  12. :4bowser:
  13. :4sheik:
  14. :4zelda:
  15. :4marth:
  16. :4pit:
  17. :4wario:
  18. :4myfriends:
  19. :4charizard:
  20. :4diddy:
  21. :4sonic:
  22. :4dedede:
  23. :4olimar:
  24. Snivy
  25. :4villager:
  26. :4megaman:
  27. :4wiifit:
  28. :4littlemac:
  29. :4mii::4miif:
    • :4miibrawl:
    • :4miisword:
    • :4miigun:
  30. :4palutena:
  31. :4robinm:
  32. :4shulk:
Unlockables
  1. :4ness: (Stage fought: Magicant / Onett)
    • Reflect 10 projectiles
    • Clear Classic Mode on 2.0+
    • 10 Vs. Matches
  2. :052: (Stage fought: Unova Pokémon League / Kalos Pokémon League)
    • Defeat 100 enemies in Smash Run (3DS only)
    • Collect at least 50 different pieces of equippment
    • 20 Vs. Matches
  3. :212: (Stage fought: Prism Tower / Kalos Pokémon League)
    • Summon a Poké Ball Pokémon 100 times
    • Summon a Master Ball Pokémon 50 times
    • 30 Vs. Matches
  4. :4falco: (Stage fought: Corneria / Orbital Gate Assault)
    • Clear 100-Man Smash
    • 40 Vs. Matches
  5. :4ganondorf: (Stage fought: Gerudo Valley / Skyloft)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4link: :4zelda::4sheik: on 5.5+
    • 50 Vs. Matches
  6. :4gaw: (Stage fought: :flatzone2:)
    • Clear Classic Mode with 10+ characters
    • 60 Vs. Matches
  7. :4metaknight: (Stage fought: Dream Land GB/ :halberd:)
    • Get 5 KO's in Cruel Smash
    • 70 Vs. Matches
  8. :4zss: (Stage fought: Brinstar / Pyrosphere)
    • Get 30 KO's with Samus's Final Smash
    • Defeat Ridley on the Pyrosphere stage (Wii U only)
    • 80 Vs. Matches
  9. :4lucario: (Stage fought: Unova Pokémon League / Hyrule Temple)
    • Get 30 combined KO's with :4charizard:'s and :212:'s Final Smashes
    • Outlast to up to 300% damage
    • 90 Vs. Matches
  10. :rosalina: (Stage fought: Golden Plains / Mario Galaxy)
    • Get a successful recovery as :4littlemac: 5 times
    • 100 Vs. Matches
  11. :4greninja:(Stage fought: Prism Tower / Kalos Pokémon League)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4charizard: and Snivy on 6.0+
    • Clear a Final Battle in Smash Run without taking damage
    • 125 Vs. Matches
  12. :4darkpit: (Stage fought: Reset Bomb Forest / Palutena's Temple)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4pit: and :4palutena: on 5.5+
    • 150 Vs. Matches
  13. :4pacman: (Stage fought: PAC-MAZE / PAC-LAND)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4mario::4megaman::4sonic: on 5.5+
    • Eat 50 Ghosts on PAC-MAZE (3DS only)
    • 200 Vs. Matches
  14. :chrom: (Stage fought: Arena Ferox / Coliseum)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4marth: on 5.5+
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4robinm: on 5.5+
    • 300 Vs. Matches
  15. :4bowserjr:(Stage fought: 3D Land / Delfino Plaza)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4bowser: on 6.0+
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4peach: on 6.0+
    • 400 Vs. Matches
  16. :4duckhunt: (Stage fought: Duck Hunt)
    • Clear Target Blast as all other characters
    • Clear Classic Mode as all other characters on 6.0+
    • Unlock every Masterpiece (Wii U only)
    • 500 Vs. Matches
DLC Pack 1
  1. :4mewtwo:
  2. Ayumi Tachibana
    • Stage: Fourside
DLC Pack 2
  1. :4ryu:
    • Stage: Suzaku Castle
  2. :4lucas:
    • Stage: New Pork City (Wii U only)
DLC Pack 3
  1. :4cloud:
    • Stage: Midgar
  2. :4feroy:
DLC Pack 4
  1. :azura: (Azura)
    • Stage: Opera House (3DS only)
  2. :4bayonetta:
    • Stage Umbra Clock Tower
  • 1. :ultmario:
  • 2. :ultdk:
  • 3. :ultlink:
  • 4. :ultsamus:
    • 4ε. :ultdarksamus:
  • 5. :ultyoshi:
  • 6. :ultkirby:
  • 7. :ultfox:
  • 8. :ultpikachu:
  • 9. :ultluigi:
  • 10. :ultness:
  • 11. :ultfalcon:
  • 12. :052:
Melee
  • 13. :ultpeach:
    • 13ε. :ultdaisy:
  • 14. :ultbowser:
  • 15. :ulticeclimbers:
  • 16. :ultsheik:
  • 17. :ultzelda:
  • 18.:212:
  • 19. Ayumi Tachibana
  • 20. :ultmarth:
  • 21. :ultmewtwo:
  • 22. :ultgnw:
  • 23. :ultyounglink:
  • 24. :ultganondorf:
  • 25. :ultfalco:
  • 26. :ultroy:
Brawl
  • 27. :ultmetaknight:
  • 28. :ultpit:
    • 28ε. :ultdarkpit:
  • 29. :ultzss:
  • 30. :ultwario:
  • 31. :ultsnake:
  • 32. :ultike:
    • 32ε. :ultchrom:
  • 33. :ultcharizard:
  • 34. :ultdiddy:
  • 35.:ultlucas:
  • 36. :ultsonic:
  • 37. :ultkingdedede:
  • 38.:ultolimar:
  • 39. :ultlucario:
  • 40. :ultrob:
  • 41. :ulttoonlink:
  • 42. :ultwolf:
Smash 4
  • 43. Snivy
  • 44. :ultvillager:
  • 45. :ultmegaman:
  • 46. :ultwiifittrainer:
  • 47. :ultrosalina:
  • 48. :ultlittlemac:
  • 49. :ultgreninja:
  • :ultmiifighters:
    • 50. :ultbrawler:
    • 51. :ultswordfighter:
    • 52. :ultgunner:
  • 53. :ultpalutena:
  • 54. :ultpacman:
  • 55. :ultrobin:
  • 56. :ultshulk:
  • 57. :ultbowserjr:
  • 58. :ultduckhunt:
  • 59. :ultryu:
    • 59ε. :ultken: (Echo)
  • 60. :ultcloud:
  • 61. :azura:
  • 62. :ultbayonetta:
Newcomers
  1. :ultmario:
  2. :ultdk:
  3. :ultlink:
  4. :ultsamus:
  5. :ultyoshi:
  6. :ultkirby:
  7. :ultfox:
  8. :ultpikachu:
  9. :ultluigi:
  10. :ultness:
  11. :ultfalcon:
  12. :052:
  13. :ultinkling:
  14. :ultsimon:
  15. Crash
  16. :ultridley:
  17. :ultkrool:
  18. :ultisabelle:
  19. :ultincineroar:
  20. Bandana Waddle Dee
  21. :ultmiifighters:

DreamyMystX64

Smash Cadet
Premium
I once previously challenged myself to make a roster that had to get Ultimate up to 100 characters and made multiple revisions to it...

001). Mario
002). Donkey Kong
003). Link
004). Samus
005). Yoshi
006). Kirby
007). Fox
008). Pikachu
009). Luigi
010). Captain Falcon
011). Ness
012). Mewtwo

013). Peach
014). Bowser
015). Ice Climbers
016). Zelda
017). Sheik
018). Olimar
019). Scizor
020). Falco
021). Marth
022). Ganondorf
023). Skull Kid
024). Wario
025). Roy
026). Mr. Game & Watch

027). Meta Knight
028). Pit
029). Wolf Link
030). Zero Suit Samus
031). Little Mac
032). Snake
033). Ike
034). Pokemon Trainer (fights by himself)
035). Charizard
036). Sceptile
037). Diddy Kong
038). Lucas
039). Sonic
040). King Dedede
041). Isaac
042). Lucario
043). Villager
044). R.O.B.
045). Midna
046). Wolf

047). Mega Man
048). Wii Fit Trainer
049). Wonder Red
050). Zoroark
051). Greninja
052). Rosalina
053). Waddle Dee
054). Barista
055). King Hippo
056). Mii Brawler
057). Mii Swordfighter
058). Mii Gunner
059). Ghirahim
060). Palutena
061). Pac-Man
062). Chrom
063). Shulk
064). Bowser Jr.
065). Duck Hunt
066). Dark Pit

067). Ryu
068). Inkling
069). Ridley
070). King K. Rool
071). Elma
072). Cloud
073). Azura
074). Bayonetta

075). Spring Man
076). Daisy
077). Dark Samus
078). Celica
079). Rex
080). Monster Hunter
081). Takamaru
082). Simon
083). Bomberman
084). Dixie Kong
085). Isabelle
086). Jill Valentine
087). Eevee
088). Waluigi
089). Crash

090). Joker
091). Hero
092). Terry
093). Byleth
094). Banjo & Kazooie

095). Akira Howard
096). Steve
097). Rayman
098). Heihachi
099). Ayumi Tachibana
100). Sora

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Well, it's been well over a year at this point, and I've decided to redo this, except this time with differing opinions from the last time I did this, and with realism over idealism in mind, so no pushing back the release date for the most idealistic roster (mostly because there's another thread for that now, whether or not I will get the urge to overcome my laziness and actually post there remains to be seen though). I'll be updating this post with moveset differences from their canonical counterparts sometime in the future, since I'm not in the mood for that big of an essay atm. With that out of the way, the first two rosters of the series.

64:

Staters::ultmario::ultpikachu::ultlink::ultdk::ultkirby::ultsamus:

Hidden::ultluigi:Raichu:ultyounglink::ultwario::ultyoshi::ultfalcon:

Once thing I want to mention before diving in the characters themselves is that, Wario and Yoshi, despite being alongside the first six in priority, would be made secret from the get-go to give the game more unlockable stuff, which would include their respective stages.

Wario replaces Fox because Wario is simply a more iconic and important character to Nintendo that still represents a different series, to the point where I just can't understand why he wasn't actually in 64, at least considering Yoshi was in there.

Luigi's Luigi. He's the most obvious clone/ character to base off another character. I really don't think anything more needs to be said.

Raichu takes Jigglypuff's place, obviously serving as a Pikachu clone. Still an iconic Pokémon at the time, while having a bit more potential to age better as a character pick since, well, it's the evolution of Pokémon's mascot.

Young Link was honestly the second most obvious pick for a clone, and I really find it jarring how Nintendo's second most important series up until Pokémon showed up didn't get a second character.

F-Zero was still a pretty relevant series for its time, and since he was clearly based off of Samus (and likely whatever remained of Dragon King) in actual 64, he stays here. Plus, one truly out there (yet logical, considering F-Zero was fairly relevant at the time) pick felt needed, even for a roster that was aiming to be as safe as possible.

Melee:

Starters::ultmario::ultbowser::ultpeach: :ultpikachu::ultlink::ultzelda::ultdk::ultkirby::ultsamus::ultwario::ultyoshi::ultfox:

Hidden::ultluigi::ultmewtwo: Raichu :ultyounglink::ultdiddy::ultfalcon::ultmarth::ultgnw:

Bowser, Peach, and Zelda speak for themselves, they were easily among the most important characters left out of the first game after all.

Mewtwo is easily one of, if not then the most important Pokémon not named Pikachu, considering it was the superboss of the original games and had the first movie to itself. Outside of the original Mew, I don't really think any other Pokémon would make sense as next in line for the series under normal circumstances.

Diddy Kong was a pretty prominent character during the 90s, considering he not only got a spinoff for himself, but also a main game starring him as the main protagonist. That, and the DK franchise is way too important to only just leave it with, well, DK himself at this point.

Fox gets in this time, since Star Fox was the last major series Nintendo had at the time, and I didn't want to bloat the roster with too many additions to franchises that were already in.

Marth and Mr. Game & Watch are basically the two surprise picks, with Marth being one to the west since no one (outside of those who watched the OVA, but that realistically isn't many people), and Mr. Game & Watch being just an overall surprise, despite the fact that the Game & Watch was incredibly relevant to Nintendo's history.

Big shoutout to Ganondorf. Originally, both him and Zelda were planned, but to allow more series to join in, Ganondorf got the axe, mostly because, while Ganondorf would probably still hype people more, Zelda would be a more surprising choice at this point, which I'm more fine doing for a sequel that has a large amount of the super huge characters anyways. If there was one extra spot, Ganondorf would've gotten it without a doubt.

No new clones in Melee. While I'm not personally super satisfied with the amount of characters in the roster, I'd rather put all remaining time in polishing the game up as much as possible, especially considering there aren't very many good clone candidates in the first place. Twenty characters is fine if that's all that can be done without sacrificing polish.

Finally, here's stages for both games

64 stages

Starter: Battlefield, Meta Crystal, Final Destination, Mushroom Kingdom, Pallet Town, Hyrule Castle, Kongo Jungle, Green Greens, Norfair

Hidden: Rice Beach, Super Happy Tree, Mute City

Mushroom Kingdom: Same as the original 64 version, except with the west Warp Pipe brought down onto the main part of the stage, like its east counterpart, and no music change near the end of the match.
Theme: Ground (Super Mario Bros.)

Pallet Town: Takes place on the player/ Red's house, the rival/ Blue's house, and the small space (which serves as a bottomless pit) between the two houses. The far edges of the houses are walk-off blast zones.
Theme: Pallet Town (Pokémon: Red/ Blue)

Hyrule Castle: Same as the original.
Theme: Overworld (The Legend Of Zelda)

Kongo Jungle: Same as the original
Theme: DK Island Swing (Donkey Kong Country)

Green Greens: Dream Land, but Whispy Woods is in the center and the highest floating platform is slightly larger.
Theme: Green Greens (Kirby's Dream Land)

Norfair: Effectively just Planet Zebes, but set in Norfair.
Theme: Norfair (Metroid)

Rice Beach: A mostly flat walk-off stage, with barrels poking at out of the sand that serve as platforms.
Theme: Rice Beach (Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land)

Super Happy Tree: Yoshi's Island from the original 64 version, but with its proper name and its clouds brought closer to the main part of the stage.
Theme: Title Screen (Yoshi's Story)

Mute City: Effectively the same as 64's Sector Z, but riding the Falcon Flyer instead of the Great Fox and without Arwing hazards.
Theme: Mute City (F-Zero)

Battlefield (Duel Zone in 64, but it would be called Battlefield right from the get-go in this universe), Meta Crystal, and Final Destination would be made into regular playable stages, since they would already be programmed in anyways. Battlefield would be resized to match the size of later Battlefield renditions, and Meta Crystal would be symmetrical. All three stages use their original music.

Melee stages:

Starter: Battlefield, Small Battlefield, Meta Crystal, Final Destination, Mushroom Kingdom (64), Peach's Castle, Bowser's Castle, Viridian Forest, Goldenrod City, Hyrule Castle (64), Clock Town, Kongo Jungle (64), Monkey Mines, Green Greens (64), Crateria, Rice Beach, Flower Garden, Mute City, Area 6

Hidden: Subcon, Indigo Plateau, Sprout Tower, Ganon's Castle, Fountain Of Dreams, Kraid's Lair, Ice Dragon Temple, Flat Zone

Peach's Castle: Somewhat larger than the one used in Melee, with the non-switch platforms (as well as more non-switch platforms) brought closer to the middle to make scaling the middle tower easier and with the Banzai Bills removed.
Main Theme: Inside The Castle Walls (Super Mario 64), Alt. Theme: Slider (Super Mario 64)

Bowser's Castle: Two main platforms, with lava in between them and bottomless pits down the middle. Occasionally, a large mace will drop down from the ceiling and swing around over the lava for a few seconds before rising back out of sight.
Main Theme: Castle (Super Mario World), The Evil King Bowser (Super Mario World)

Subcon: Mushroom Kingdom 2, except with its proper name and, like my hypothetical version of Mushroom Kingdom, without the music changing.
Main Theme: Overworld (Super Mario Bros. 2), Alt. Theme: Underground (Super Mario Bros. 2)

Viridian Forest: Takes place on the Viridian City side, with the big tree on the central side being in the middle of the background. A branch covered with leaves that sits in the plane that the fight takes place in serves as the only floating platform.
Main Theme Route 2 (Pokémon: Gold/ Silver), Alt. Theme: Battle! Wild Pokémon (Pokémon: Red/ Blue)

Indigo Plateau: A simple walk-off stage that sits right in front of the Pokémon League.
Main Theme: Route 23 (Pokémon: Red/ Blue), Alt. Theme: Battle! Trainer (Pokémon: Red/ Blue)

Sprout Tower: Takes place on the top floor, in front of the swaying pillar, with the elder sage, a Bellsprout, and a Hoothoot watching the fight in the background. One large platform hanging from the ceiling sits above the floor.
Main Theme: Sprout Tower (Pokémon: Gold/ Silver), Alt. Theme: Battle! Wild Johto Pokémon (Pokémon: Gold/ Silver)

Goldenrod City: Takes place on the Magnet Train Station and the lower end of the Radio Tower. Whitney and her Miltank watch the battle in the background on the Magnet Train Station.
Main Theme: Goldenrod City (Pokémon: Gold/ Silver), Alt. Theme: Battle! Johto Trainer (Pokémon: Gold/ Silver)

Clock Town: Takes place in front of the Clock Tower, with the infamous moon lurking in skies, watching the battle.
Main Theme: Clock Town, First Day (The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask), Alt. Theme: Clock Tower (The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time)

Ganon's Castle: Pretty much the same as Smash Remix's version. Takes place outside with a similar layout.
Main Theme: Inside Ganon's Castle (The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time), Alt. Theme: Last Battle (The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time)

Monkey Mines: The platforms mostly consist of the raised platforms from Winky's Walkway, with a little bit of the broken-up rail system from Mine Carnage below.
Main Theme: Life In The Mines (Donkey Kong Country), Alt. Theme: Mine Cart Madness (Donkey Kong Country)

Fountain Of Dreams: Same as the original.
Main Theme: Boss Battle (Kirby's Adventure), Alt. Theme: Gourmet Race (Kirby Super Star)

Crateria: A stage with both an above ground section and an underground section. Acid rain that damages the fighters occasionally falls in the above ground section, forcing everyone into the underground section until it clears up.
Main Theme: Crateria Surface (Super Metroid), Alt. Theme: Crateria - The Space Pirates Arrive (Super Metroid)

Kraid's Lair: Brinstar Depths with a new name and with the ledges introduced in Ultimate.
Main Theme: Kraid's Lair (Metroid), Alt. Theme: Lower Brinstar (Super Metroid)

Rice Beach: Similar to the original version of my hypothetical 64, it's a walk-off stage with barrels poking out of the sand. However, this version is much larger, with a beached pirate ship in the middle. The pirate ship can be entered or fought on top of, and even the crow's nest serves as a small platform, with other small floating platforms leading up to it.
Main Theme: Rice Beach (Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land), Alt. Theme: Out Of The Woods (Wario Land 3)

Flower Garden: Similar layout to Melee's Yoshi Island stage, except with a SMW 2: Yoshi's Island aesthetic over a SMW one.
Main Theme: Flower Garden (Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island), Alt. Theme: Athletic (Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island)

Mute City: Same as the original Melee version.
Main Theme: Mute City (F-Zero), Alt. Theme: Big Blue (F-Zero)

Area 6: Takes place on one of the Umbra-class Defense Stations in Area 6. Two smaller platforms float above the edges of the defense station.
Main Theme: Area 6 (Star Fox 64), Alt. Theme: Star Wolf (Star Fox 64)

Ice Dragon Temple: An icy walk-off stage taking place right outside the temple itself.
Main Theme: Expedition (Fire Emblem: Mystery Of The Emblem), Alt. Theme: Together, We Ride (Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon And The Blade Of Light)

Flat Zone: Same as the original.
Main Theme: Flat Zone (Super Smash Bros. Melee), Alt. Theme: Oil Panic (Game & Watch Gallery)

The non-Smash original stages use new remixes of their original themes, and also get an alternate theme.

Mushroom Kingdom (64) Alt. Theme: Ground (Super Mario Bros. 3)
Hyrule Castle (64) Alt. Theme: Hyrule Castle Courtyard (The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time)
Kongo Jungle (64) Alt. Theme: Title Screen (Donkey Kong Country)
Green Greens (64) Alt. Theme: Dyna Blade - Peanut Plains (Kirby Super Star)

Battlefield and Final Destination both still use the music tracks from actual Melee as their main tracks. Battlefield's alternate theme is Multi Man Melee 2, while Final Destination's is a remix of the original Final Destination/ Master Hand fight theme. Meta Crystal uses a remix of the original Metal Mario fight theme as its main track, while its alternate is the new metal fight theme.

Lastly, to go along with the returning Smash original stages, Small Battlefield from Ultimate gets added too, since it would be so easy to add. Its main theme is Targets, and its alternate theme is Multi-Man Melee 1.

Last edited:

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Wario replaces Fox because Wario is simply a more iconic and important character to Nintendo that still represents a different series, to the point where I just can't understand why he wasn't actually in 64, at least considering Yoshi was in there.
Apparently, Wario was held off from 64 and Melee because Sakurai didn't want there to be too many Mario characters. I'm not sure if that's actually true or not, but I agree that he should've been in from the beginning.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
1-Mario
2-Link
3-Pikachu
4-Kirby
5-Samus
6-Little Mac
7-Ness
8-Marth
9-Donkey Kong
10-Bubbles (Clu Clu Land)

11-Wario
12-Zelda
13-Mewtwo
14-Dedede
15-ZS Samus
16-Fox
17-Andy
18-G&W

19-Yoshi
20-Luigi
21-Ganondorf
22-24-Pokemon Trainer
25-Meta Knight
26-Ike
27-Krystal
28-Animal Crosser
29-Olimar
30-Pit
31-Sonic
32-Crash

33-Bowser
34-Peach
35-Impa
36-Eevee
37-Prince Fluff
38-Ridley
39-Robin
40-Conductor (Rhythm Heaven)
41-Chibi Robo
42-44-Miis
45-Wii Fit Trainer
46-Pac-Man
47D-Heihachi
48D-Robio & Zobiko (House of the Dead)
49D-Shulk
50D-Banjo & Kazooie

D-DLC

51-Hylian King
52-Ditto
53-Medusa
54-Inkling
55-Hayabusa
56D-Piranha Plant
57D-Arle & Tetriminos (Puyo Puyo / Tetris)
58D-Simon
59D-Inferno (Soul Calibur)
60D-Mega-Man
61D-62D-Pyra/Mythra
63D-Byleth
64D-Dante
65D-Dr. Neo Cortex
66D-Timmy & Tommy Nook
67D-Monika (Doki Doki Literature Club)
68D-Master Chief

D-DLC

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
This is my third revision of the rosters, so ignore the ones I did here previously and the one on the 1999 thread. I may link or add in reasonings at some point, as I created a thread similar to this on GameFAQs. Plus, there won't be any hindsight involved with my picks.

Marth uses Link as a base and is essentially the Jigglypuff of the roster. Wario is built off of Mario, but, being Ness's replacement, is completely unique.
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus:
:ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu:
:ultwario: - Complete Classic Mode/play 25 VS matches
:ultfalcon: - Complete Classic in under 20 minutes/play 50 VS matches
:ultluigi: - Complete Break the Targets with all starters/play 75 VS matches
:ultmarth: - Complete Classic on Hard or higher with 3 or less stocks/play 100 VS matches

Melee (assuming the Rare buyout affects Diddy's chances)

• Marth is decloned to play more like he does in the actual Smash games. As a result, Ganondorf, who now takes the place of Sheik, becomes a semi-clone to save time.
  • Ray is a Samus clone in order to add more series (we only have two others); it's based on a cool idea I came across (I even asked for permission to use it) and while a unique moveset would probably be better for Ray, the Custom Robo series is about, well, customising robots, so it isn't too far-fetched if you ask me.
:ultpeach::ultmario::ultbowser::ultyoshi::ultwario:
:ultfox::ultdk::ultkirby::ultzelda::ultlink:
:ultpikachu::ultness::ultfalcon::ultsamus:
:ultmarth: - Complete Classic/play 25 VS matches
:ultkingdedede: - Complete Adventure Mode/play 50 VS matches
:ultpichu: - Complete Event 37/play 100 VS matches
:ultfalco: - Complete 100-Man Melee/play 200 VS matches
:ultganondorf: - Complete Event 29/play 300 VS matches
Ray - Complete Classic with all starter characters/play 400 VS matches
:ultluigi: - Complete the first stage of Adventure Mode with a 2 at the end of the timer/play 500 VS matches
:ultyounglink: - Complete Classic with Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf/play 600 VS matches
:ultmewtwo: - Play for 20 hours/play 700 VS matches
:ultroy: - Complete Adventure with 15 characters, including Marth/play 800 VS matches
:ultdaisy: - Complete Home-Run Contest with 20 characters/play 900 VS matches
:ultgnw: - Complete Target Test with everyone else/play 1000 VS matches

Brawl

• With hindsight and the knowledge that Wolf would be added near the end of development, I would've cut Falco and brought Ray back.
  • May actually fights opponents instead of having the Pokemon be controllable.
:ultmario::ultpeach:Toad:ultbowser::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultfalcon:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultridley::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultfox:
:ultpikachu:May:ultike::ultvillager::ultolimar::ultlucas::ultpit:
:ultness: - Reflect 10 projectiles/play 5 VS matches
:ultmarth: - Complete Classic/play 25 VS matches
:ultluigi: - Complete Classic with no continues/play 50 VS matches
:ultfalco: - Complete 100-Man Brawl/play 75 VS matches
:ultlucario: - Complete Target Smash with all starters/play 100 VS matches
Isaac - Complete 15 Events/play 200 VS matches
:ultsnake: - Complete Battleship Halberd Interior/play 300 VS matches
:ultrob: - Collect 250 different Trophies/play 400 VS matches
:ultkrool: - Complete Classic with all starters/play 500 VS matches
:ultgnw: - Complete Target Smash with 34 characters/play 600 VS matches
:ultsonic: - Complete The Subspace Emissary/play 700 VS matches
:ultpichu: - Complete Home-Run Contest with 36 characters/play 800 VS matches
:ulttoonlink: - Complete The Subspace Emissary and Classic on Hard with Link, Zelda, or Ganondorf/play 900 VS matches
:ultwolf: - Complete Boss Battles with Fox or Falco/play 1000 VS matches

Sm4sh

• Icies were originally in the Wii U version and were subject to several changes in the 3DS version before being cut. As problems like these wouldn’t arise here, another veteran can return, bringing the roster up to 59.
  • Since Sakurai is against cuts and I feel that purchasable newcomers would be a better deal than just reselling veterans, Mewtwo, Ray, and Isaac return to the base roster and Bowser Jr. and Greninja are pushed to DLC, as Daisy is back and we have a Gen 5 rep as a newcomer.
  • Lyn (Lucina's replacement) could be switched for Eirika, hence why I tacked her on at the right side of the screen.
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach:Toad:ultbowser::ultlink::ultzelda: Impa:ultganondorf:
:ultyoshi::ultwario::ultdk::ultdiddy:Dixie :ultsamus::ultridley::ultfalcon:Ray
:ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultlucario:Victini:ultmarth::ultrobinf:
:ultpit::ultvillager::ultolimar: :ultwiifittrainer::ultshulk::ultlittlemac::ultbrawler::ultswordfighter::ultgunner:
:ultness: - Reflect 10 projectiles/play 5 VS matches
:ultpichu: - Complete Classic/play 10 VS matches
Isaac - Complete Classic with no continues/play 25 VS matches
:ultfalco: - Complete 100-Man Smash/play 50 VS matches
:ultdarkpit: - Win a VS match on Rainbow Route (3DS) or Wii Fit Studio (Wii U) as Pit/play 75 VS matches
:ultike: - Complete Crystal Smash (3DS) or Target Smash (Wii U) with all starters/play 100 VS matches
:ultkrool: - Complete Classic in under 20 minutes/play 150 VS matches
:ulttoonlink: - Complete Home-Run Contest with all starters/play 200 VS matches
:ultsonic: - Complete Smash Run with 10 characters (3DS)/complete Master Tower five times (Wii U)/play 250 VS matches
:ultmewtwo: - Complete 20 (3DS) or 30 (Wii U) Challenges/play 300 VS matches
:ultdaisy: - Defeat 100 Enemies in Smash Run (3DS)/complete 15 Events (Wii U)/play 350 VS matches
:ultmegaman: - Collect 100 different pieces of Equipment/play 400 VS matches
:ultgnw: - Defeat Master Core/play 500 VS matches
Travis - Get 5 K.Os in Cruel Smash/play 600 VS matches
:ultrob: - Collect 300 different Trophies/play 700 VS matches
Lyn - Complete Classic with 20 characters/play 800 VS matches
:ultpacman: - Complete Climb to the Top with all starters (3DS)/clear 20 floors of Crazy Tower (Wii U)/play 900 VS matches
:ultduckhunt: - Complete Race to the Finish with everyone else (3DS)/unlock all Masterpieces (Wii U)/play 1000 VS matches

Ultimate

• While Incineroar and Byleth are gone, their movesets, albeit slightly altered, are somewhat preserved by Wrestler and Byleth.
  • More alternative picks! Anyone from the second and third rows can serve as replacements for Takamaru and Stylist and, if I can get away with it, Zero could take Sephiroth's place.
I say "semi-hindsight" here, as I don't want to affect future roster too much, considering that characters added to handheld entries would probably need to be recreated from scratch in whatever game they're added to next.

Super Smash Bros. Clash (GBA, 2004):

Yes, this is very, very similar to AlRex AlRex 's roster on the Smash GBA/DS thread, so credit to them. Lyn plays similarly to Marth and Toon Link is treated the same as the OG... until Brawl. Though the other games' rosters would mostly be the same as the ones above, Andy would be recreated for Ultimate instead of adding Takamaru.

Super Smash Bros. Rumble (DS, 2010):

Lyn, Ray, and Andy are back. I suppose Mega Man could be taken out for Travis, who had the same creator request as Snake and Sonic and starred in a sequel around this time, but the former is more iconic and would probably be easier to translate into the game. Then again, Mega Man would arguably bring more hype in the next game, so either or really.

The only other character choice to be affected in a later game is Impa, who gets replaced by the return of Tingle.
64:
:ultluigi::ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultfalcon:
:ultwario::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultmarth:
Stays the same, assuming the Rare buyout can't be prevented if I add Banjo.

Melee:
Toad :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultsamus:Ray
:ultfalco::ultfox::ultdk::ultkingdedede::ultkirby::ultganondorf::ultzelda::ultlink::ultyounglink:
:ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultness::ultfalcon::ultgnw::ultmarth::ultroy:
Since Toad later copies Mario's moves in NSMB and 3D World, he takes Doc's (or Daisy's in this case) spot as a clone.

Brawl:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultmarth::ultsnake:
:ultluigi::ultdiddy::ultzelda::ultridley::ultwario::ultkingdedede::ultwolf::ultpichu::ultike::ultmegaman:
:ultpeach::ultkrool::ultganondorf::ultpit::ultness::ultmetaknight::ultfalcon:May Isaac:ultsonic:
:ultbowser:Toad:ulttoonlink::ultrob::ultlucas::ultvillager::ultolimar::ultlucario::ultgnw:
Forget what I said earlier; with Toad as a clone, adding Ray or Falco back is basically impossible. On the other hand, we get another newcomer slot and I'm giving it to Mega Man so that the larger amounts of third parties in later games can be better expected.

Sm4sh:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach:Toad:ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultfalcon:
:ultlink::ultzelda: Impa:ultganondorf::ulttoonlink::ultsamus::ultridley::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultfox::ultfalco:
:ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultpichu::ultlucario:Victini:ultness::ultmarth::ultike::ultrobinf:+:ultchrom::ultpit::ultdarkpit:
Ray:ultvillager::ultolimar: Isaac:ultrob::ultduckhunt::ultlittlemac::ultgnw::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman:Travis
:ultwiifittrainer:Karate Joe:ultshulk::ultgreninja:Dixie :ultryu::ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultbrawler::ultswordfighter::ultgunner:
Falco returns over Doc/Daisy. As there are still five Mario characters and a slot is freed up by having Mega Man in Brawl, Bowser Jr. and Dixie swap places and Karate Joe is added to the roster. Also, with a Three Houses rep getting into Ultimate, Lyn is cut and instead of creating her, Chrom is paired with Robin as a duo character.

Ultimate:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultwario::ultfalcon::ultluigi::ultmarth:
:ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultzelda::ultness::ultkingdedede::ultpichu::ultfalco::ultganondorf:Ray:ultyounglink::ultmewtwo::ultroy:
Toad:ultgnw::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultdiddy::ultvillager::ultsnake::ultike:May:ultridley::ultolimar::ultalph:
:ultlucas::ultsonic:Isaac:ultlucario::ultrob::ultkrool::ultmegaman::ulttoonlink::ultwolf:Victini Travis:ultwiifittrainer:Impa
:ultlittlemac:Karate Joe:ultrobinf:+:ultchrom::ultshulk::ultduckhunt::ultbowserjr::ultpacman::ultgreninja:Dixie :ultryu::ultbayonetta:
:ultcloud::ultinkling:Waluigi :ultsimon::ultrichter: Andy Tom Nook Bandana Dee Stylist:ultjoker:
:ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry:Anna :ultminmin:ultsteve::ultsephiroth::ultpyra:/:ultmythra::ultkazuya::ultsora::ultbrawler::ultswordfighter::ultgunner:
Wrestler's slot is taken by Andy from Advance Wars, a series that's had decent demand backing it and is getting a remake. With the demand for him to be playable, Waluigi replaces Takamaru. In terms of alternatives, the only ones I have in mind are Shadow (in place of Richter, Daisy, or Alph) or Eggman (over Joker if that can somehow be pulled off).

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So back in 1999, eh? Interesting

Starting roster: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultwario:

Unlockables: :ultpit::ultmarth::ultfox::ultness:

This was a tough one for me. I definitely felt this one focus on heroes before adding the villains and like to keep it that way. Only one closest to a "villain" would be DK and Wario. Pit would be a classic character, Marth for Japan, Fox and Ness being lesser known titles

Melee additions: :ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ulticeclimbers::ultmewtwo::ultdiddy::ultkingdedede:

This roster was based on popular additions that could easily make the sales. Only one that would be "shocking" is Ice Climbers and Zelda

Edit: If I were to add 4 more characters to make the series revenant (and since we had 12 newcomers in Melee counting Sheik...)

:214::ultfalcon::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt:

Heracross for being a better Gen 2 rep and heavy grapple game, Captain Falcon for some extra lesser known titles, Little Mac for a west rep that Japanese fans aren't used to (same reason for Marth vice versa), and Duck Hunt being a surprise choice
After looking back at this, I'd like to modify my N64 roster

Starters: :ultmario::ultyoshi::ultlink::ultpit::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultduckhunt:

Unlockables: :ultdk::ultmarth::ultfox::ultness:

Donkey Kong would be a nice surprise to be added as an unlockable instead of a starter type instead. I moved Fox to unlockable to show him as the "Captain Falcon" type of fighter. Ness stays the same and Marth as the eastern-well known fighter

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Reattempting the stage selection. Brawl song list here.

• Bob-Omb Battlefield
  • Kongo Jungle
  • Hyrule Castle
  • Planet Zebes
  • Yoshi's Island (similar to SSF2's version)
  • Green Greens
  • Sector Z
  • Saffron City
  • Rice Beach
  • :battlefieldb:
  • :fdb:
  • Meta Crystal
  • Mushroom Kingdom
  • Peach's Castle
  • Bowser's Castle
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Tetris Attack
  • Rice Beach
  • Wario Castle
  • Jungle Japes (based on DK64)
  • Minecart Carnage
  • Light World (3D version of ALTTP's overworld)
  • Clock Town
  • Brinstar
  • Kraid's Lair (renamed Brinstar Depths)
  • Dedede Stadium
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Corneria
  • Venom
  • Pokémon Stadium
  • Pokémon Snap (Poké Floats, but with an island background)
  • Mute City
  • Big Blue
  • Onett
  • Dolhr Keep
  • Flat Zone
  • Hyrule Castle
  • Green Greens
  • Saffron City
  1. :battlefieldb:
  2. :fdb:
  3. :wifi:
  4. :delfino:
  5. Luigi's Mansion
  6. :mariocircuit:
  7. Yoshi's Cookie
  8. :warioware:
  9. :rumblefalls:
  10. Gangplank Galleon
  11. :eldin:
  12. :pirateship:
  13. Phase 8
  14. Phendrana Drifts
  15. :halberd:
  16. Rainbow Route
  17. :lylat:
  18. :ps2:
  19. :spearpillar: (or Sky Pillar)
  20. :porttown:
  21. :castlesiege: (set in Elibe from FE6/7)
  22. Empire Porky Building
  23. Smashville
  24. :distantplanet:
  25. Venus Lighthouse
  26. Sphere Station
  27. :skyworld:
  28. Gyromite
  29. :flatzone2:
  30. :pictochat:
  31. :shadowmoses:
  32. :greenhill:

33. Bowser's Castle
  34. Wario Castle
  35. Minecart Carnage
  36. Eastern Palace
  37. Brinstar
  38. Dedede Stadium
  39. Corneria
  40. Pokémon Stadium
  41. Big Blue
  42. Onett
  • Venus Lighthouse
  • Gaur Plain (smaller and no boss fight)
  • Duck Hunt
  • Motel No More Heroes
  • Pac-Maze
  • Pi’illo Island Tour (similar to 3D Land, but is based on M&L: DT)
  • Baby Bowser's Castle
  • Arrow Zone (from Wario Blast, contained within a Game Boy like Dream Land GB)
  • Sunset Shore
  • Spirit Train
  • Pyrosphere (because Dead or Alive: Dimensions)
  • Lollipop Land
  • Prism Tower
  • Corneria City (based on this)
  • Fire Field GBA
  • Arena Ferox
  • Magicant
  • Ice & Snow Holosseum
  • Reset Bomb Forest
  • Tortimer Island
  • Living Room
  • Find Mii
  • Tomodachi Life
  • PictoChat 2
  • Wily Castle (no Yellow Devil)
  • Luigi’s Mansion
  • Light World
  • Brinstar
  • Dedede Stadium
  • Sky/Spear Pillar
  • Corneria
  • Distant Spring
  • :greenhill:
  • Big Battlefield
  • Mario Galaxy
  • Woolly World
  • Gamer
  • Homecoming Hijinxs (frozen Jungle Hijinxs)
  • Skyloft
  • SkyTown
  • Return to Dream Land (works similarly to Mushroom Kingdom U)
  • Unova Pokemon League
  • Krazoa Palace
  • Phantom Road
  • Serenes Forest
  • Saturn Valley
  • Town & City
  • Garden of Hope
  • Boxing Ring
  • Desk (Chibi Robo)
  • Endless Ocean
  • Wuhu Island
  • Wii Fit Studio
  • Flat Zone X
  • City Escape
  • Central Highway (instead of Palutena’s Guidance, you get codecs between X and friends)

• Bowser's Castle
  • Yoshi’s Cookie
  • Wario Castle
  • Kongo Jungle
  • Pirate Ship
  • Phendrana Drifts
  • Halberd
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Port Down Aero Dive
  • Castle Siege
  • Onett
  • Smashville
  • Skyworld
  • Sphere Station
  • Gyromite
  • Hyrule Castle
  • Saffron City
  • Meta Crystal
  • Flat Zone (3DS update)
  • Miiverse (Wii U update)
  • Inkopolis Plaza
  • Suzaku Castle
  • Midgar
  • Umbra Clock Tower
  • Battlefield
  • Big Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Giga Destination (free update)
  • Training
  • New Donk City Hall
  • Great Plateau Tower
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • Pictochat X
  • Dracula’s Castle
  • Mementos
  • Yggdrasil's Altar
  • Spiral Mountain
  • King of Fighters Stadium
  • Garreg Mach Monastery
  • Spring Stadium
  • Minecraft World
  • Northern Cave
  • Cloud Sea of Alrest
  • Mishima Dojo
  • Hollow Bastion

Last edited:
Alright, my version of Smash 64:
SMASH 64:
Fighters:
1. Mario
2. DK
3. Yoshi
4. Link
5. Samus
6. Kirby
7. Fox
8. Pikachu

9. Luigi (As second character for series) OR Pit (as Retro character)
10. Ness
11. Captain Falcon
12. Marth

Stages:
1. Peach's Castle 64
2. Hyrule Castle
3. Planet Zebes
4. Dream Land
5. Saffron City
6. Sector Z/Corneria
7. Kongo Jungle
8. Super happy Tree

1. Mario Bros. (Luigi) OR Skyworld (Pit)
2. Onett
3. Mute City (With SNES graphics)
4. Castle Siege (First part only)

All items return, but some of original items like Ray Gun are replaced by NES Zapper for example.

TheLastMaverickHunter

Smash Journeyman
Don’t take this too seriously, only doing this out of boredom/for fun. Will add more explanations when I feel like it.

64:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultmarth:
Pretty much what @Zapp Branniglenn had to say here.

Melee:
:ultpeach::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultzelda::ultkingdedede::026::ultfalco::ultyounglink::ultganondorf:Ninten Black Shadow:ultmewtwo::ultroy::ultgnw:

With Marth already here, Dedede makes his way in a game early.

Ganondorf (or Pig Ganon based on preference) has a unique moveset, having outclassed Sheik on the poll and playing a much greater role in his series (you know, the main antagonist). His old one is inherited by Black Shadow.

Ninten is mainly here for the sake of completion (though being his own entity gives him an edge over Dr. Mario). Still, the Mother series had a decent number of poll votes, so I doubt a clone is beyond the realm of possibility.

Brawl:
:ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultdarksamus::ultwario::ultsnake::ultike::ultpokemontrainer::ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultsonic: Isaac :ultolimar::ultlucario::ultrob::ulttoonlink::ultwolf:

Undecided on the Pokémon Trainer's lineup; Charizard stays, but the other two are either Blastoise and Venusaur or Totodile and Grovyle (to represent more than one Gen and keep the evolutionary thing they were going for).

Dark Samus is her own entity and has plenty to work with for a moveset.

Dedede getting in earlier makes room for Isaac (while his fanbase was smaller at the time, the critical reception of his games should help his case).

Cuts are Ninten, Young Link, Raichu, Mewtwo and Roy.

4:
:ultvillager::ultmegaman: :ultwiifittrainer::ultrosalina::ultlittlemac:Zoroark Tingle:ultbrawler::ultswordfighter::ultgunner::ultpacman::ultrobin:&:ultchrom::ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt:
:ultdarkpit:
:ultryu::ultcloud: Dixie :ultbayonetta:

Robin and Chrom are a Duck Hunt-like duo, moving and attacking at the same time; with Rosalina out of the picture, I believe this could be doable. Lucina is an alternate costume as originally intended, paired up with the female Robin.

Blastoise/Totodile, Venusaur/Grovyle, Wolf, Ice Climbers and Snake are cut. Raichu is back.

Ultimate:
:ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultgreninja::ultisabelle::ultkrool:
:4link::ultdaisy: Galacta Knight :ultalph::ultken::ultrichter:
Sandbag :ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbyleth:
:ultminmin:ultsteve::ultsephiroth::ultpyra::ultmythra::ultkazuya::ultsora:

K. Rool's reveal is moved to the November direct to end things on a higher note (in case another Pokémon sounds like an underwhelming end to go out).
Did this on another thread, picks are subject to change.

But if I could add four more characters to Melee, I would pick :ultwario::ultdiddy::052::ultpit:.

Last edited:
Top Bottom