• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Item Talk!

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Link to original post: [drupal=4527]SSB4 Item Talk![/drupal]

Items in Smash bros games always make for a good time. Some items are completely original to Smash bros, while others are famous objects, weapons, or even creatures from the various and varied worlds of Nintendo franchises! I just felt like creating a little distraction from a lot of the srs bsns that happens 'round these parts. So this is a place where you can share your ideas for items in the next Smash Bros.

To create a little bit of incentive, popular or good, well-developed item ideas will be featured in Smash Bros DOJO style on the front page, including a rendering of the item by yours truly. All past items featured will be kept in an archive. It'll be like the good old days with Nsider Kirby Hats, am I right? =P

Remember, these are just ideas. Please don't get into arguments about the viability of item ideas, because in the long run, the ideas probably won't get used unless by mere coincidence. So keep it clean, light-hearted, and have fun! Stay tuned for those featured item ideas!

Subscribe to this thread

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Reserved for item ideas! :)

Pending full expansion:

•Sonic Shield
•Rainbow Star
•Sonic Shoes
•Cardboard Box

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Propeller Mushroom (extra damaging recovery) (NSMB Wii)
Music Box (to induce sleep) (SMB 3)
Coconut Gun (Shoots five coconuts) (Donkey Kong)
Headgear (reduces received damage) (Punch-Out!!)
Running Shoes (Doubles dash speed) (Pokemon)
1-Up Mushroom (Rare, but adds 1 stock) (SMB) (Stock Brawl only)
Bulbmin (Like Mr Saturn in that it attacks opponents when thrown.) (Pikmin)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The mushroom from Earthbound.

When it infects a player, it switches around their movement control (Similar to that pokemon stage)

Backwards could become forward, etc. Though it would be random

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Re-posting from the main SSB4 Wii U thread:

Another item idea, a very simply one at that: Wastepaper, as found in Chibi-Robo.

Basically, it's just scraps of paper lying around on the ground. You can pick them up an throw them at people for minor damage. When they hit a person, they explode in shreds of paper. Very simple item.

The one unique attribute of them is sometimes when they explode, they'll instead explode with stickers flying out, which can be collected of course.

And also, the Bull Cap from both the original Wario Land and Virtual Boy Wario Land:

Basically imagine the above pith helmet with spikes.

Wearing the Bull Cap grants you increased power, and one unique ability; if you jump towards a ceiling while wearing the Bull Cap, the horns will stick into the ceiling and you will hang from it. You can then jump down from your spot and use your attacks or jump again. This makes this item extremely useful for recovery, especially under stages like Battlefield.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Eggplant sceptor

For a very short period of time, turns opponent into an eggplant with legs, disabling all attacks and specials

I say very short period of time because I think it could be broken

MechaWave

Smash Champion
So far I got:

- Blue Shell
Homes in on the opponent whose in the lead. If you are in a regular Timed match, it will go after the player with the most points. If in a Stock match it will go after the player with the most stocks, then most percent (if the percent/stock is the same the Blue Shell will hang until someone has more percent.) If in Coined match it will go after the opponent with the most coins. Fairly simple. KOs the opponent at very low percents.

- Wind Waker
Plays The Wind's Requiem, allowing you to create winds across the whole stage in the direction you choose on the control stick. Lasts around 9 seconds. Everyone but you will fall slowly.

I'll have more ideas later. :3

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Man, you guys have me giddy. It'll be tough sorting through these good options. =P Keep em coming!

Edit: my response from the SSB4 thread.

Eggplant sceptor

For a very short period of time, turns opponent into an eggplant with legs, disabling all attacks and specials

I say very short period of time because I think it could be broken
Well I say it could be like the hammer, where if you get somebody, they're eggplant for the duration of a jingle. So if you hit everybody, you have a buncha eggplants running around.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
Poison Mushroom: Instant star KO (regardless of position, or if there is a roof. You are simply teleported to the top of the screen past the blast zone). The opposite of the 1-Up Mushroom. Not much use in normal gameplay, but imagine building a custom stage in which there is no way to get a KO, and the only item on is the Poison Mushroom? Basically, you'd have a game where you would be trying to put your opponent in a position to be killed. (Although, this would require the creator to be able to manipulate spawn points...or just a one-stock game)

Whip from Zelda (ST and SS): Press A to crack the whip, Press and hold A to pull an enemy or item closer

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Here's one of my own ideas:

Ultra Hand Press A to extend hand and grab opponents. From there, you can throw as normal. Operates slightly faster than regular tether grabs, and reaches farther.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I used to think the Cape Feather from Super Mario World would be a good item. Would give a character a cape and allow them to glide. ...BUT NOW I SEE THAT WOULD HAVE SOME TECHNICAL ISSUES.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Some other ideas:

NES Zapper: Only has one shot. When fired, the screen goes black, with the half of the screen in front of the user in white. Any player caught in the white portion is sent flying upwards according to how much damage they have.

The strategy is to have as many people in front of you as possible when you fire your shot.

FLUDD: Assumingly, Mario would get a new down B. The player can shoot a stream of water continuously, even while running, until the water in the tank runs out. Does no damage, but pushes players.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Fireburst Pod - Your character lugs around a berrel shaped mechanical device to the desired point on stage. Sets it down, after a few seconds it launches the bomb fragments into the air. You have a few seconds of quiet... Then suddenly fragments rain down onto the stage!

http://youtu.be/JRZMgDYhBq8?t=1m58s

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Oh, and guys, feel free to further develop any ideas you have in a new post. I'll be selecting not only good ideas, but well developed ideas.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The ball and chain from Zelda: Twilight Princess: It is very heavy to carry, but it does LOADS OF DAMAGE! It automatically breaks shields (other than regular shields like the ones Pit and Link carry) in 2 hits (maybe 1 hit), and can cover a huge area. However, it can be timed out somewhat easily and it isn't hard to side step dodge around or air dodge, albeit watch out for the comeback hit (which does about 25% to 50% less damage than the initial throw out).

It also makes the character slow and vulnerable from above, and one non-long range attack (as in arrows, lasers, gun shots, anything that isn't a big item or physical attack), and the character drops it. However, it does massive damage, like a stronger hammer. It can often KO in 2 to 3 hits, and if a character is in a bad spot, it can get hit twice in a row by it.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704

Pokemon Capture Stylus. On the Wii Tablet/Pointing with your wii mote you rapidly spin a circle around a character, which traps them there. The lazer stuff will cause static damage if touched. After a character has been "captured" and a proper amount of circles is dorwn around them, the lazer stuff will fly towards the opponent. This will turn them into a trophy for a set amount of time.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
This could be good.

The only one that I thought was interesting as an energy drink. You could drink it and give your character quick boost in speed, jumping and attack power. After a while though, your character will become sluggish and their jumping and speed are reduced below normal (attack power is normal now). After a while, it will be back to normal. The weakened phase is shorter than the strong one.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Pokemon Capture Stylus. On the Wii Tablet/Pointing with your wii mote you rapidly spin a circle around a character, which traps them there. The lazer stuff will cause static damage if touched. After a character has been "captured" and a proper amount of circles is dorwn around them, the lazer stuff will fly towards the opponent. This will turn them into a trophy for a set amount of time.
This could be so convenient in a new Adventure Mode. (-lvl-)

Okay, I'll also post my item idea here, which got lost in the New Smash Bros for WiiU-thread.

Launch Star

When appearing, they will float a little bit above the ground, while slightly tilted to the air. These are large enough for letting a player fit inside them.

Launch Star can be activated by pressing A near it, much like Warp Star. When used, the player will be spinned briefly inside it, and launch powerfully away to the air at high speed, much like in Galaxy.

These Launch Stars however, give a 7 second time of fast-moving, unlimited flight which can be directed very freely. When flying, your player glows and seems to emit stardust around him. He also leaves a glowing path similar to shooting star: this looks like the translucent,glowing paths from Galaxy.

You can press A for a Spin which lets you deal decent damage and high knockback. Star Spin uses the quick starry energy seen from Galaxy when Mario used it, and technically is similar to Wing Ability's Gust Roll from Kirby Air Ride.

After seven seconds the speed drops severely down and your character loses it's translucent, stardusty glow.This renders your character into helpless state. Be sure to find safe ground to descend on at this point or you'll plummet surely on your doom.

To prevent Launch Star's overpower, occasionally Launch Stars tend to break when you are just launching from them, making them crash on the ground comically. These broken Launch Stars then turn into Sling Stars, which lets your character get slinged off spinning, which can also be used as an attack (albeit weak.). This is similar to Barrel Cannon.
Sling Stars stays on the screen for 8 seconds.

Notes

- The characters may even shout or yell at the time when they're launched. The tone and the mood of the exclamation depends on the character: for example Mario would say "Wahoo!" from Super Mario Galaxy, Yoshi again says "Woooowwwwww!" from Yoshi's Story delightedly, etc.
- Some characters start to yell right start at the spinning and time their exclaimation's to change or get louder when they're catapulted: For example Pikachu would yell "Piiiiii," while spinning, then yell "Kaaaaa!!!" triumphantly when launched. (This comes from Pokemon Yellow when he's out of the PC's storage system.Piiiiii- Kaaaa!)

StarPhoenix's stage idea and my item idea would really port lots of awesomeness and imagination from Galaxy to Smash.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I love it, Horsetail. I'd love to hear everyone's voice getting shot from the Launch Star (especially Pikachu's.) ^__^

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Another idea of mine:

Trophy Stand While this was an item available in Adventure Mode, it should totally be available in versus. If you throw it at a player, they become a life-size trophy. Any opponent can pick up the said trophy (which is as heavy as a crate) and carry it or throw it. No damage will be done with throwing, but they can be thrown off the stage. After a given amount of time (which can be accelerated the same way as breaking free from eggs or ice) the player will turn back to normal.

In team battle, a team member can change you back by attacking you once (no damage, of course).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@MechaWave
It'd be better if this was a part of Toon Link's moveset and worked kind of like either Rachel Alucard's Sylphie drive or like Storm and Magneto's that bring the opponent in. The former would be way more complex than the latter though.

Here's an idea for an item, based off of SmashChu's energy drink.

Phazon Tank
Origin: Metroid Prime 3 Corruption
Pick this up and, at the cost of 30% health, you enter a state where attacks are stronger and hitboxes are extended out with Phazon blasts, ie. Mario's FSmash will have a bigger, Phazon based hitbox. In this state, you're a lot stronger, but you have to balance the attack output or risk being blasted off or not getting enough out of the item. There would be a little bar underneath the character's percentage and you attack based on it. If it's draining, try to make most of it, but it'll go into emergency mode over time and you must expel the Phazon. Failing to do so will result in automatic death. The powerup lasts 25 seconds.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
The Robo Cube (Custom Robo)
Pick up a robo cube and throw it to release a custom robo to attack opponents. They have varying bodies and weapons.
The Cloud Flower (Mario)
You get a cloudy outfit, and the ability to make as many cloud platforms as you can within 12 seconds. These platforms remain until the end of the match and can be flipped through.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
@Kuma: Well, I just don't see how it would work with Toon Link's modified/new moveset (if he gets one, which he should.)

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Another idea of mine:

Trophy Stand While this was an item available in Adventure Mode, it should totally be available in versus. If you throw it at a player, they become a life-size trophy. Any opponent can pick up the said trophy (which is as heavy as a crate) and carry it or throw it. No damage will be done with throwing, but they can be thrown off the stage. After a given amount of time (which can be accelerated the same way as breaking free from eggs or ice) the player will turn back to normal.

In team battle, a team member can change you back by attacking you once (no damage, of course).
OMFG!! YO, I can't believe I'm seeing this! I came up with something like that a few months back!

New idea: remember the Trophy Stand that you used in Subspace? What if they made that a multiplayer item and allowed you to use it on opponents? The way I'm imagining it, you throw it at your foe, and they become a trophy. Unable to move or do anything whatsoever, you can now pick your enemy up like an item and throw them off the stage. You need to act fast though, because even though your opponent is trophified, the will eventually re-awaken.

Some things to keep in mind about this:
-Once the opponent is turned into a trophy, they'll remain as such for a few seconds (I'm thinking 10 at the moment). The player's damage increases the time, like the effects of other items (freezie, pitfall, etc).
-Trophied opponents cant take damage. When a character is a trophy, they're basically dense statues and according to Sakurai, dead in a sense. Trophified players will still have that KO explosion that all characters have when kiled.
-The player can't move, although they can be moved by other players. This is a near-guarantee KO item; moreso than the hammers but less effective than Dragoon.
-Trophy victims are heavier than their normal form, so walking to the edge and throwing them off won't be too easy. Its the same as carrying a crate or barrel. I'm wondering whether the victim's weight wiill vary depending on who they are (Bowser being EXTREMELY heavy) or simply have all the weights be equal. I'm leaning towards equal.

Remember, the idea is to turn a player into an item so you can throw them off the stage. Its a way to quickly get rid of someone. Opinions?
EDIT:

Phazon Tank
Pick this up and, at the cost of 30% health, you enter a state where attacks are stronger and hitboxes are extended out with Phazon blasts, ie. Mario's FSmash will have a bigger, Phazon based hitbox. In this state, you're a lot stronger, but you have to balance the attack output or risk being blasted off or not getting enough out of the item. There would be a little bar underneath the character's percentage and you attack based on it. If it's draining, try to make most of it, but it'll go into emergency mode over time and you must expel the Phazon. Failing to do so will result in automatic death. The powerup lasts 25 seconds.
I like this idea.

Spiny Shell - It damages 50% and targets the 1st placer. The blue explosion can damage the other players too.

Punishment for winning = Frustration

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
@MechaWave
It'd be better if this was a part of Toon Link's moveset and worked kind of like either Rachel Alucard's Sylphie drive or like Storm and Magneto's that bring the opponent in. The former would be way more complex than the latter though.

Phazon Tank
It's not bad. The problem I have is it kind of adds a little much. I'm namely thinking of the bar. Do we really need that. Also, it's an item that makes you stronger, and it's downside is that you have to keep attacking. With an item like this, you will always go for a mad offense as you are not so much stronger, so it's not much of a weakness. I'm sure it could work somehow. I'd kill the bar thing and make the character glow, with a more intense glow meaning you are closer to being KOed.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
I've always wanted the thunder stone and moon stone to be in smash.
I'm not sure how it would work, but still, being able to evolve to Wigglytuff would make my day.

Big Moose

Smash Cadet
Health Items
  1. Jar of milk (Zelda)
  2. 1-Up mushroom
  3. Oran berry (Pokemon)
  4. Fairy (Restores all damage to 0%)

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Ok i'm surprised no one has said this but i definitely want the return of the red shell from 64. It was so fun when red shells were the only items and you'd thrown them on every platform in dreamland and you thought you'd die because no matter where they were they would come for you.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Item idea: Calldown Pod

Basically, it's a pod that when you press A (when in your hand) will launch a flare up in the air. After a while, items will fall at that spot. The items are on fire when they come down (as they come into the atmosphere) and hurt others before they hit the ground.

Top Bottom