• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta SSB4 Falco Matchup Discussion 37 - Robin - Nightwing & Flamebird

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Welcome to the Robin matchup discussion.

Falco and Robin.png

All credit goes to Quas-quas for the original images.​

Here's a link to the main post: SSB4 Falco Matchup Discussion - Main Post. This will be more for general matchup discussions like making a suggestion and such. Or, you could head over to the social thread and ask there: Where We Prefer The Air And The Points Don't Matter!. Or PM me if you really have to, but don't make a habit out of it.

Oh, and if you guys and girls want to play each other to have fun or learn about the MU, check out the NNID and FC sharing thread on the Falco boards: http://smashboards.com/threads/anyone-want-to-exchange-nnids-or-friend-codes.386513/.

There's also the regular NNID and FC sharing threads in the Online discussion if you just want to ask anyone to play.

Notice: Some rules, guidelines, and tips. Some of these are a given since you joined any forum.

1. Be respectful of each other. No insults, no trolling, no flaming, or any of that nonsense.
2. Be aware that some of the discussions can and will be old, so don't call out someone for "wrong" data if that post was referring to say, patch 1.0.3 stuff.
3. Be impartial; learn to see things from other sides. So, don't boast about all the advantages. Notice weaknesses and strengths from both parties.
4. Stay on topic.
5. Have fun.

And here is a frame speed ranking of their regular attacks and grabs - no Specials yet, sorry - to clear up on things since sometimes a move may feel slow, but it's actually fast and vice versa. Plus more information doesn't always hurt. Data from Raziek's Robin Research Room & Repository (Moveset, Mechanics & Frame Data!) by @ Raziek Raziek and the Complete Hitbox/Frame Data For Every Character thread.

Note: Robin's entry in Complete Hitbox/Frame Data For Every Character is really... really messed up. As of patch 1.1.4.
Move Hit Frames|:4falco:|:4robinf:
Jab|2-4, 10-12, 17-21, 22-26, 27-31, 32-36, (infinite), 41-42|4-7, 23-27, 48-49 (Gentleman) or 45-??, (infinite), (finisher)
Dash Attack|8-11 or 12-19|8-10 or 11-18
Ftilt|6-8|9-10
Utilt|5-9, 12-16|6-13
Dtilt|7-9|7-8
Side Smash|17-19 or 20-20|16-18 (Bronze) / 16-18 or 19-27 (Levin)
Up Smash|7-12, 13-20|12-16 (B) / 12-12 or 13-16 or 17-25 (L)
Down Smash|7-9|16-17 (B) / 16-17 or 20-23 or 24-28 (L)
Nair|3-5, 6-9, 14-17, 21-24|9-12 or 22-25
Fair|10-13, 14-17, 18-21, 22-25, 26-27, 28-29|12-15 (B) / 12-15 or 16-19 (L)
Bair|4-5 or 6-12|9-10 (B) / 9-10 or 11-16 (L)
Uair|7-11|10-13 (B) / 10-13 or 14-23 (L)
Dair|16-19 or 20-31|13-15 (B) / 13-13 or 14-16 or 17-22 (L)
Grab|8-9|7-8
Dash Grab|10-11|8-9
Pivot Grab|11-12|9-10

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Hmm as someone who plays both characters alot I can provide some insight but I haven't played the MU on either side much sadly outside of randomly playing Mav on Anther's using Robin with Falco. I'll post my thoughts in a bit.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
We have more complete frame data in one of our stickies, actually. I'll be back on Sunday night to chat.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Here's my thoughts on the MU. Sorry i'm late with it.

Ok so this MU is interesting to say the least. This is a MU where Falco can use lasers more than usual lol and disrupt Robin's thunder charge but still have to be cautious if Falco fires a laser at a wrong position. Falco has some better tools up close as in Faster than Robin on the ground but Robin has tools to get people outta his/her jab such as jab into fire tomb ender, d tilt and f tilt and is faster in the air than us . Robin does have to be wary of reflector but if Falco throws it out at the incorrect range then Robin can possibly punish it with a dash attack, thunder spell or a roll cancel grab if within range. In terms of on stage juggles both characters can annoy the crap outta each other but Robin can set these up easier with placing arcfires onto platforms if the match has platforms and baiting air dodges and hitting you with LS Uair which kills around 100-110 and has a pretty good hitbox to boot. As for Falco we do the same with his very good jump and uair and bair but if we go for a up throw into uair kill and if they air dodge and Robin is bellow us then we are in a very bad spot for LS Uair which Robin wants to hit us with.

As for edgeguarding both characters can do some harm to each other Robin can spike Falco during his up B with the first wind blast of up b around the hand region, snipe with Elthunder if we arn't careful, LS Dair which spikes at the tip or a stage spike with LS bair or Nair and if you trying to recover on stage with side B Robin can limit your options by setting up arcfire traps on a platform or a ledge so that Robin can get a reaction and a punish or into a kill with a discarded book, LS f smash, LS Uair, LS d smash, LS Bair or Thoron and Falco lack of hitbox on the later half of side b means that Robin can hit you with a arcthunder or time a nosferatu which Robin will gain more health if Robin has more percent than the opponent and the move receives more regained health if Nosferatu grabs a back turned opponent if Falco decides to land on stage. On Falco's end of edgeguarding we can gimp you with Fair, shoot a laser to steal a jump, ledge trump bair and stage spike bair if they fair to tech and if they up b incorrectly or from below we can spike them with Dair and Robin has limited uses with special we can harass till Robin dies or runs outta wind magic.

As for stages Robin LOVES platforms for mixing up recovery landings and help with arcfire and other traps so BF, Town and City when platforms are present, and Lylat Cruise are really good especially Lylat Cruise cause the gaps between the platforms LS Uair covers it well and LS Fair and lining opponents up with Nosferatu grabs. Delfino is a go to CP for Robin depending on the transformation layout and that Robin can shark with LS Uair below the ledge and grants him/her early kills. Halberd is ok and grants early vertical kills and the layout allows Robin to set up a wall with LS Fair and projectiles until you land on the base of the ship. Stages that Robin hates are FD, Castle Siege, Kongo Jungle 64 if legal and Duck Hunt. IDK much about Skyloft sadly.

Stages that Falco love are pretty similar for Robin as well outside of FD in this MU. Both love BF, Town and City, Smashville is whatever for Falco, Lylat is ok in my experience with Falco. And CP Falco doesn't hate Castle Siege once it transforms past 1st stage, Kongo is iffy for Falco cause it nerfs vertical kills for Robin and us but it grants us more fair gimps and spikes same with Robin but it hurts Robin more than it hurts Falco I feel like. Falco is fine on Delfino but I would ban this stage against fellow Robin players and Dunk Hunt is fine for Falco.

Kill moves to look out for on both sides.

Falco: Up smash if both hits connect, down tilt especially when rage is active and fresh cause this move is fast and has some good range, F smash off of reads, Bair especially fresh as a ledge trump option, fair gimps, Up throw to Uair juggles or bair air dodge traps. Up throw when rage is present and if the laser hits and back throw when Falco's back is to the edge. dair spikes and phamtasm meteor.

Robin: LS Uair, LS Bair and ledge trump LS bair, LS F smash, LS down smash to cover rolls and LS version has electric sparks when it hits the ground, LS up smash, LS Dair spikes nair stage spikes, Up B spikes around the hand of the first wind blast, Elthunder snipes off the ledge, Arcthunder, Arcfire at high percents, Thoron, jab into wind/fire finisher( frame 4 jab than can convert into a kill move is scary but you can avoid the final blow of the wind finisher by air dodging at the last hit of the attack so remember this) dash attack around the ledge with arcfire trap, discarded books, discarded LS though not as strong as a book, down tilt at higher percent that set up int a Thoron tech trap, Arcfire/Arcthunder on shield and have a book in hand to kill your roll option and Thoron has this setup as well and back throw especially when Robin has rage.

Also knowing how much usage Robin has on magic and LS helps with the MU and when to go in.

Fire tombs= 6 uses this is for side b and jab into fire ender flashes around 5 uses
Thunder tombs= 20 uses thunder is 1 use, Elthunder is 3, Arcthunder is 5 and Thoron is 7 uses

Thunder: 20 (Flashing at 15) = 5% per use
Elthunder: 7 (Flashing at 5) = 15% per use
Arcthunder: 4 (Flashing at 3) = 25% per use
Thoron: 3 (Flashing at 2) = 40% per use

Wind tombs= Robin's jab into wind finisher and up b both use this and has 9 uses overall and flashes around 7.
Dark tombs(Nosferatu)= Robin's down b has 4 uses and starts flashing around 3 and is a 16 frame move on whiff is pretty vulnerable on whiff like 40 frames.
LS(Levin Sword) Electric Sword Robin uses has about 8 uses and starts flashing around 6.

Regeneration times.
Thunder tome:
tome regenerates in 615 frames (10.25 seconds)

Fire tome:
tome regenerates in 660 frames (11 seconds)

Nosferatu tome:
tome regenerates in 2352 frames (39.2 seconds)

Wind tome:
tome regenerates on frame 408 (6.8 seconds)

Levin Sword:
Regenerates on frame 485 (8.09 seconds)

I haven't played the MU enough to place a solid number on it personally but I'm leaning around even range. I haven't messed with the customs of Robin or Falco much either so I can't comment on either one.

Some of the information has been copied from Raziek's thread if you wanna be a nerd and get some Robin knowledge under your belt read this thread.
http://smashboards.com/threads/razi...pository-moveset-mechanics-frame-data.365233/

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Never do this. Just never, ever, ever do this: https://youtu.be/0Dy6whWu9Ho?t=273. Reflecting Arcfire will get you nowhere unless maybe Robin's in the air and Thunder, Elthunder, Arcthunder, and Thoron can easily punish a baited Reflector.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
That was Arcthunder and that match was customs on speed thunder to be correct cause normal Arcthunder doesn't go that fast. And reflecting side b is miss most of the time outside of some slant situations on stages like Castle siege opening stage for example or just reflect it when it's out on the field.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Still, don't do stupid stuff like this. :p

I really cannot understand people's thought processes of picking a random character with a reflect and thinking they'll win like this.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Because LOL projectiles I'mma reflect it. It helps but you still have to be smart about it. A better choice would been Shiek to beat Robin lol.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
OK this thread some small updating since Robin's buffs now that I remember it. Robin buffs and the shieldstun patch helped alot in the MU now.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
So, Gamegenie222 Gamegenie222 , how was the match against Dath at Genesis 3? Did you use Falco? Also, don't double post. :p
I do what i want lmao and catching up on threads is one of them. No I did the Robin ditto and didn't feel like dying at 75 or getting checkmatted or wind jab alot and lost 2-0

Last edited:

Jabzilla

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jabzilla
3DS FC
3007-8178-1682
I played a tournament match with a real good Robin player. I couldn't even approach as they covered themselves with Arcfire and Thunder. The Levin sword is ridiculously good. Any tips on this matchup after the recent patches or is this just bait and punish?

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I played a tournament match with a real good Robin player. I couldn't even approach as they covered themselves with Arcfire and Thunder. The Levin sword is ridiculously good. Any tips on this matchup after the recent patches or is this just bait and punish?
Pretty much and put pressure with robin off stage and kill them there but essentially don't get grabbed or jabbed. Also knowing your spots help in this mu along with not throwing out your reflector Willy nilly.

Top Bottom