• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 confirmed to be shown at E3 2013

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Today's Nintendo Direct announced some crazy stuff, but the most important to this site. SSB4 will be shown at E3 2013, or atleast some screens of it. What do you think and do you think SSB4 will be released this year?

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
What if they show both? First a trailer, then any additional info about the game could be explained through screenshots.

:phone:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
They'll do a trailer. They know not to give anything less for "The Console-Seller", for sure.

Screenshots will probably follow. That's how I see it. I expect a Brawl-quality trailer, and nothing less than that.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I just wanna know if its just screenshots..that would be whack..we deserve a Trailer atleast...screenshots wont cut it...

Taken from a reputable poster on Gamefaqs (yes, there are some):

The word Sakurai used in his tweet (and the message that Iwata translated) means both image and footage, so we're probably going to get a trailer at E3.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
This is hardly a surprise, since many of use expected Super Smash Bros. to be "revealed" at E3 to begin with. With 1 year and 4 months of development, a video and several screenshots is perfectly plausible to show off. But what will be shown of will be a different story.

All we can do is wait till Sakurai drops the bomb in June.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
This is my reaction to this news, except with more screaming and even more screaming than that and way more random screaming and this and this and this and this. (I WANT MORE INFO!!!) And this is how I physically reacted while I'm at it, with this exact music.

THIS IS A GLORIOUS VICTORY FOR HUMANITY!!! NOW, LET US WAIT FOR THE GRAND FEAST OF GREAT SMASHINGNESS!!! :):):):):):):):)
WE HAVE DONE IT my fellow SMASH BROTHERS! Now, We are LESS THAN 1/2 A YEAR FROM OUR GLORIOUS CROWN!!! WE ARE VICTORIOUS AND WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!!!
WE ARE... SMASH BROTHAAAAAASSSS!!! (even if you ain't a brother brother!!!) AND WE HAVE ALL WON!!!! Now, let us CELEBRATE!!!

Ove

Smash Journeyman
I hope and think Sakurai will make a great trailer for us, just like the Brawl one. It'll be hype.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Today's Nintendo Direct announced some crazy stuff, but the most important to this site. SSB4 will be shown at E3 2013, or atleast some screens of it. What do you think and do you think SSB4 will be released this year?
Well, at least its good to hear that there will be new info at E3 2013, I would expect a trailer (full of surprises just like how Melee and Brawl did their first trailers) to be shown there.

As for whether SSB4 will be released this year, I think they'll release the game probably next year.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Yeah, next year is Nintendo's 125th anniversary, so there would be no better time than that to release SSB4.

Watashi

Smash Cadet
The following information comes from Masahiro Sakurai's Twitter account...

- announcements like Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS would usually be accompanied by a trailer, but the team wanted to keep gamers patient while waiting for E3
- this is why they put out just a limited announcement
- Sakurai says E3 will come with a much better announcement
- the plan is to show off both the Wii U and 3DS versions at E3

Also worth noting, Sakurai exchanged tweets with Pokemon director Junichi Masada. The pair discussed how they're looking forward to seeing/hearing more about each other's games (Smash Bros. and Pokemon X/Y) at E3.

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=194811

and I suppose a direct link to his twitter would work: https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Anyone expecting Smash WiiU and/or Smash 3DS to come out this year is an idiot. It hasn't even been in development for a full year yet. At the earliest we'll get one (just one) of these two games in November of 2014, with the most likely time frame for release being early-2015 to mid-2017.

Goodin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goodin
I wish i could say i was super hyped, but i am not optimistic about this game.. i think they are gonna try to hard to appeal to a causal community, rather than an actual solid competitive community...

But i can still hope :)

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
Anyone expecting Smash WiiU and/or Smash 3DS to come out this year is an idiot. It hasn't even been in development for a full year yet. At the earliest we'll get one (just one) of these two games in November of 2014, with the most likely time frame for release being early-2015 to mid-2017.
idk bro, I think it'll be released in 2014 (both versions) to be very honest. 2015 is also possible but it seems like the hype will be too much for people to handle and nintendo is going to release it next year. but let's hope it's next year since 2015-2017 range is wayy crazy

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wish i could say i was super hyped, but i am not optimistic about this game.. i think they are gonna try to hard to appeal to a causal community, rather than an actual solid competitive community...

But i can still hope :)
The fact Namco, the people responsible for Tekken and Soul Calibur, is helping Sakurai develop SSB4 should tell you you have nothing to worry about unless you hate Pac-Man. :troll:

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I'm hoping for a trailer it would be a fairly big disappointment if we waited a year after the announcement only to see a few screen. Not to say I wouldn't be giddy as a school girl at the screens it's just I think with a year under their belt that can at least do a nice trailer for us even if it doesn't really showcase any new characters just returning characters in glorious HD lol.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^ Sakurai gives the games simple and natural mechanics that are deep, which is where much of the depth of each smash game comes from. Also, even if the game is iffy competitively like Brawl, there are TWO GAMES!!! On top of that, we can always mod them like we did with various mods (such as Project M) to make them competitively awesome. ;) On top of that, the 3DS Smash will be easy to do competitively, and the WiiU Smash will support HDTVs, so us competitive players won't need tube TV's! :grin:
idk bro, I think it'll be released in 2014 (both versions) to be very honest. 2015 is also possible but it seems like the hype will be too much for people to handle and nintendo is going to release it next year. but let's hope it's next year since 2015-2017 range is wayy crazy
2014 would mean that both games, at most, were developed about 2 years and 6 months. That's less time than Brawl was in development, and you're talking about 2 games. And unlike Brawl, the graphical and processing leap isn't minor; it's huge! It's like we're going from the Super Nintendo the the GameCube in terms of the technological jump from Brawl to Smash WiiU. On top of that, we got another new team, and the game just started development 11 months ago.

Also, between then and now, we'll have a new Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Pikmin 3, the Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, this new Yoshi game, Pokémon X & Y, the Wind Waker HD Remake, a new Retro Studios game, a new 3D Mario, a new 3D Zelda WiiU game, a new handheld Zelda, a new DKC, Star Fox, Metroid and/or F-Zero title, and a plethora of 3rd party titles, various WiiU titles (similar to the announced WiiU Party), several inevitable Pokémon and Mario spin-offs, Virtual Console releases, and other Nintendo-related releases to keep us satisfied.

Lastly, 2017 means that 2 games took 5 years to make. Seeing as how Brawl took over 2 1/2 years to make, that isn't too crazy, especially given my fore-mentioned points. Also, the longer it takes, the more fine crafted these 2 games will be, which means better balance, online, content, and gameplay, as well as more items, stages, features, extras, and playable characters.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@John
Thanks for reminding me about the great games coming out this year - Animal Crossing, Bayonetta, 101, Pikmin, Luigi, Yoshi, Zelda, and the fact that I still need to get a Wii U. My wallet's going to be going on a diet.

As for Smash 4 taking 5 years. I highly doubt this. Unlike you, I think the gameplay between the two will be identical, including roster and stages. Thing is, assuming this is true, development for two games isn't that absurd as you'd have the planned stuff laid out already. I highly doubt Wind Waker HD took a long time to be made because of this.

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
Ideal E3 presentation for me:
1. Iwata or Reggie start out by saying something vague, like, "Now, as you know, we here at Nintendo try to make our games memorable. We try to make for a unique experience each time we produce a game, an experience that will stick with the player for a long time. The stages, the music, the boss battles. But, naturally, we put a major focus on our characters."
2. A small stir in the crowd. They think they know what's coming, but don't want to risk getting excited just yet. RegIwata continues, "Nintendo has created some of the most memorable characters not just in video games, but in media as a whole. You can go up to anyone on the street and show them a picture of Mario, and they'll know exactly who he is. If you ask someone to name a Pokemon, they'll likely say Pikachu. Even the pink puffball Kirby is easily recognized. Nintendo characters are loved by fans all over the world. And what better way to thank those fans by bringing all of their favorite characters together?"
3. The crowd starts to get excited. It's almost a sure thing now. "This idea was first tried in 1999. Then again in 2001. And again in 2008. And now, in the 2010s, it's being done once again. I believe everyone here knows what's coming up next." RegIwata steps off stage and the screen behind him fades to black.
4. I'm not going to detail a whole trailer here, so just imagine the greatest trailer you can think of. The title is revealed, of course, along with a tentative release date. (I personally expect late 2014 at the earliest to early 2016 at latest.)
5. Sakurai appears to wild cheering and applause. (Perhaps even a chant of, "ROY'S OUR BOY!" if a certain redhead is revealed to be making a return.) After the crowd calms down, Sakurai starts talking about working with Namdai and how things have been going in development. A slideshow of screenshots plays behind him as he discusses his intentions with the game.
6. As Sakurai's presentation progresses, he reveals a few of the new features in SSB4. (Perhaps he even details how the 3DS and Wii U versions will interact.) He could also talk about how Miiverse will work in SSB4.
7. He announces that a brand new SSB4 Dojo is up and running at that very moment, and that he plans to release info as development progresses. Although the updates won't be as plentiful, so don't get excited.
8. Finally, it's announced that both versions are in playable demo form on the show floor. Everyone starts going bananas. Sakurai says a few final words before exiting stage left. Everyone at home and at E3 is left stunned.
Gosh, I really hope it turns out something like this.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^ I like the sound of that, and the way you wrote it was excellent. However, I think Sakurai would be best served if he appeared via some sort of pre-recorded chatter of some sort. That way he can give a quick presentation, talk about the 2 games, and continue to work on these games immediately after that so development remains the main focus.
Thanks for reminding me about the great games coming out this year - Animal Crossing, Bayonetta, 101, Pikmin, Luigi, Yoshi, Zelda, and the fact that I still need to get a Wii U. My wallet's going to be going on a diet.
Agreed. I'm going to have to wait for some prices to drop. But as it stands, I'ma gonna get Zelda and the 3D Mario day 1 per usual.
As for Smash 4 taking 5 years. I highly doubt this. Unlike you, I think the gameplay between the two will be identical, including roster and stages. Thing is, assuming this is true, development for two games isn't that absurd as you'd have the planned stuff laid out already. I highly doubt Wind Waker HD took a long time to be made because of this.
I think the gameplay will have different engines, but we'll see the same content.

Also, the graphics don't have much to do with it, as much as testing and just the overall scope of a game like Smash being built. No really, stop and think of everything in Brawl, and it is amazing. Hundreds of trophies, stickers, songs, the ability to take pictures and record videos, the over 250 songs, the hundreds of sound effects and voice clips from over 50 voice actors (in multiple languages), the boss battles, the common enemies, over 40 stages, custom stages, 39 playable characters, items, Pokéball Pokémon and Assist Trophy characters, event matches, Classic Mode, the Story Mode, the training mode, all of the multiplayer mods, the online, the online downloadable stages/replays/pictures, etc. etc. etc. You got to figure we'll get more of all of that in both of these games, which is ridiculous to think about (especially the songs!).

But yeah, I doubt it will take 5 years, but it is still a distinct possibility. I imagine it will take somewhere around 4 years until both these games will be released.

nessokman

Smash Lord
The game has been going since march. By now I would think that the character designs are either finished or almost, stages are being worked on. We won't have a video, but maybe the intro to the game?

Screenshots are good, they give a feel for how the graphics and style will look.I'm looking forward to seeing all this has to offer. 2014 is hardly a good year for a release. I would think early 2015. They still have to FINISH the game, which knowing sakurai cramming games full will take the rest of this year and half next.Then they have to do all their testing. The game has to have thousands of copies made because we KNOW that smash games sell.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
I think the gameplay will have different engines, but we'll see the same content.

Also, the graphics don't have much to do with it, as much as testing and just the overall scope of a game like Smash being built. No really, stop and think of everything in Brawl, and it is amazing. Hundreds of trophies, stickers, songs, the ability to take pictures and record videos, the over 250 songs, the hundreds of sound effects and voice clips from over 50 voice actors (in multiple languages), the boss battles, the common enemies, over 40 stages, custom stages, 39 playable characters, items, Pokéball Pokémon and Assist Trophy characters, event matches, Classic Mode, the Story Mode, the training mode, all of the multiplayer mods, the online, the online downloadable stages/replays/pictures, etc. etc. etc. You got to figure we'll get more of all of that in both of these games, which is ridiculous to think about (especially the songs!).

But yeah, I doubt it will take 5 years, but it is still a distinct possibility. I imagine it will take somewhere around 4 years until both these games will be released.
Hey, while I totally agree that its going to be a massive project, I think you're overshooting it.

-Firstly, the 3DS/WiiU consoles are going to be developed by different teams. They'll still be under the same reporting structure, but its common practice to have a totally seperate studio work on a different platform versions. They will share the same pre-production, but after that they will be working seperately to fulfill their own milestones and content.

-Stickers aren't additional content, they are just reused art assets pulled from Nintendo's back catalog. Yes, it will take time to get that done, but I'd estimate only a couple weeks, honestly. That's also the sort of work that will likely get outsourced.

- Trophies will depend on how they want to proceed. In Brawl, a lot of the trophies were just taken from other titles so it would be a matter of reimporting them, and making sure they work in the engine. Again, not too long. If they want to make new assets, its the sort of work that is way cheaper and quicker to outsource.

- For Smash 4, I would be surprised if they are as aggressive with the audio catalog since what they have is still very fresh and iconic. I'd say we might see an additional 30% of audio content that we saw in Brawl.

- Voice Acting. Not a huge issue since a lot of voices are general throughout languages. (ie- the pokemon, ROB, Yoshi, etc.)

What I would count on taking the most time is the new adventure mode... Especially if they are going to make a different experience for the 3DS version. That is so up in the air I can't really comment.

But more than anything else, teams for games like this are big. Game dev cycles aren't really any longer when consoles advance. There's more built in proprietary engines and etc.

I'm betting on Q4 2014 or Q1 2015 like we had with Brawl.

Source: Game Dev.

GetBentSaggy

Smash Apprentice
I just wanna know if its just screenshots..that would be whack..we deserve a Trailer atleast...screenshots wont cut it...
Don't be so selfish and stupid. You want them to rush the game and f*ck it up by putting in too many clones or have lots of glitches are flaws?

Screens are a great idea. It shows the game isn't rushed to the point that they're pelting out videos/demos (e.g. Mario Kart, 3D Mario and HD Wind Waker will have demos at E3 and demos through Wii U shop, as well as E3 video presentations). The screens allow us to see how the game is coming along in terms of art style and also the quality of the graphics. Early screens, as long as they represent what they intend to be the final version, are good for feedback. A lot of fans can see '(this area) needs a lot more detail', 'the graphics should be sharper' etc and they can fix things and show the fixed versions in video form at E3 2014.

You're asinine if you think a Smash Bros game of this level and size would be able to show a trailer after only a year. A trailer is meant to represent the final version.

Think about how Mario Kart at E3 2013 is the final version (and we have no prior info or screenshots of it) so what we see is what we get, while Smash 4 is a 'this is it so far, what more can we do?' :)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
2014 would mean that both games, at most, were developed about 2 years and 6 months. That's less time than Brawl was in development, and you're talking about 2 games. And unlike Brawl, the graphical and processing leap isn't minor; it's huge! It's like we're going from the Super Nintendo the the GameCube in terms of the technological jump from Brawl to Smash WiiU. On top of that, we got another new team, and the game just started development 11 months ago.

Lastly, 2017 means that 2 games took 5 years to make. Seeing as how Brawl took over 2 1/2 years to make, that isn't too crazy, especially given my fore-mentioned points. Also, the longer it takes, the more fine crafted these 2 games will be, which means better balance, online, content, and gameplay, as well as more items, stages, features, extras, and playable characters.
Actually, Brawl was in development for a little more than 2 years. It's development phase was October 2005 to about November 2007 but wasn't released until January (in Japan) due to complications with the online features and making sure there were enough copies at launch. Planning for Brawl started in May 2005 but Sakurai didn't have a team or even an office to work in until October of that year. Also, there are separate teams working on both games at the same time and supposedly the game engines for both games were finished in August/September of last year so the games are at least half way done at this point. That all being said, a 2014 release is actually pretty reasonable.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I didn't say a 2014 isn't reasonable, just that only late 2014 release is unreasonable. I honestly think 2015 is the most likely year for both games to get released, if they get released at the same time.

Also, we don't know if two teams are working on this yet, because no one has said anything like that yet. I imagine a lot of the development team only works on one game or another, while some of the team works on both. But still, that is purely speculation. And on top of that, this Namco crew is working on the WiiU for the first time for most of them, and the console's hardware and specifics are probably new to many of them. That's going to take some getting used to. Also, you have to factor in the time spent on inter-connectivity related stuff (and content?), which will certainly take at least a little while.

As for the Brawl release, Sakurai and his assistant (who's was his only Sora Ltd. permanent employee) started a few months before the temporary offices opened. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the team did some very basics before that.

peeup

Smash Lord
The perfect trailer:

The screen is black. Epic music. A small orb of light floats around in the distance. It slowly gets closer. Music gets louder. Closer. The closer it gets, the more clearly we see it. A beacon of light, shimmering in the darkness. It gets closer still, and we can recognize the markings on it. Music is roaring. It is a smash ball, dancing around in the black. Record cut, needle scratch, and the trailer freezes. An ominous voice whispers "Let's **** this *****." The screen goes black. Then, for an instant, we see a flash of a close up of none other than Roy. No sooner do we see his face than the screen returns to black. Then another flash, this time a close up of Mewtwo, then black again. Then we see a serene landscape. The camera pans to the side and we see Roy and Mewtwo ****ing the living **** out of Pichu, Dr. Mario, and Young Link.

Smash.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^ That's Smashing Your Brothers, not Smash Brothers! :laugh: Still, that was worth a good, high quality laugh. Good story Smash Bro! :cool:

But for real, if Mewtwo or Roy were revealed in any sorts at E3 2013, I WOULD SQUEAL LIKE A LITTLE GIRL!!! Roy = Our Boy!!!

Carolus Rex

Smash Cadet
I think august 2024 is the safest bet.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I think 2014 is more than likely there's a huge team working on both games and as they say many hands make light work. I would put my bet on that one, maybe 2015 I can't see it taking as long as 2017.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
wtf? No, I think 2013 Q4 and 2014 Q1 are the most likely candidates for release, unless you guys are trolling heavy amounts of blood and tears right now.

Granted, a slated release date is by no means available for us any time soon. Q? means they could push back release. Latest I could see them push it back is Q3 2014 because of major difficulty getting the final product up to Sakurai's expectations. And look at it this way, he's got a full-fledged team of experts at the moment working for him.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
wtf? No, I think 2013 Q4 and 2014 Q1 are the most likely candidates for release, unless you guys are trolling heavy amounts of blood and tears right now.

Granted, a slated release date is by no means available for us any time soon. Q? means they could push back release. Latest I could see them push it back is Q3 2014 because of major difficulty getting the final product up to Sakurai's expectations. And look at it this way, he's got a full-fledged team of experts at the moment working for him.
I think if Megaman is not revealed at this years E3, there could be a delay of SSB4.
Similar to Sonic's situation.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
You guys REALLY think they're going to wait 4 years to release the console seller? Come on, John, Brawl took about two years, and the Wii didn't end up hurting at all in sales once it was released. The Wii U is a different story, selling fewer units per week than the PS3, 360 AND 3DS.

Using this site as a reference, still looking for others:

http://www.vgchartz.com/

They're going to want to get the game out, but I still don't think we have to worry. Honestly, Melee was developed in under two years. (Granted, it didn't require nearly as much of a hardware change, but look which game has SWF's favor?)

I think they know what they're doing enough that they know to get the game out ASAP. They're not going to make fans wait two to four years for a game shown off at E3. ESPECIALLY Smash. That's just silly.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I think if Megaman is not revealed at this years E3, there could be a delay of SSB4.
Similar to Sonic's situation.
If smash 4 gets delayed it wont be because of Megaman, or because of one many imaginary patterns people make up during pre-smash games.

NatP

Smash Ace
They're going to want to get the game out, but I still don't think we have to worry. Honestly, Melee was developed in under two years. (Granted, it didn't require nearly as much of a hardware change, but look which game has SWF's favor?)
And to be fair, Sakurai DID work his *** off to complete that game.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
You guys REALLY think they're going to wait 4 years to release the console seller? Come on, John, Brawl took about two years, and the Wii didn't end up hurting at all in sales once it was released. The Wii U is a different story, selling fewer units per week than the PS3, 360 AND 3DS.

Using this site as a reference, still looking for others:

http://www.vgchartz.com/

I think they know what they're doing enough that they know to get the game out ASAP. They're not going to make fans wait two to four years for a game shown off at E3. ESPECIALLY Smash. That's just silly.
This. Anyone expecting SSB4 to come out in 2016-2017 is also an idiot.

Life

Smash Hero
VGchartz is notoriously unreliable. I've heard the WiiU is quite successful (albeit only the deluxe model--you can get the cheaper one fairly easily).

I'm thinking it's announced for the end of 2013 and actually comes in the first half of 2014, barring unforeseen delays.

Top Bottom