• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB: Melee TAS. Getting Started [DL link fixed]

Nakamaru

Smash Master
I recently talked to the Youtube user mugg1991 getting some help on how to get started with TAS using Dolphin. With his permission i am putting his information here so that others that might want to TAS on their own might have a little easier time getting started.

Dolphin TAS Setup

-To start off you will need Dolphin. Since it is against the TOS to link anything just Google Dolphin and look for r7719. Later builds have issues and earlier ones can be buggy.

-Now you will need the SSBM NTSC ISO. This should be easy to obtain with the abundance of hacking happening these days. If you can't seem to find it there is a good one on Demonoid that i use.

Get it and place it in the same folder Dolphin is in. (Makes searching for it easier)

-Set up your setting to look like this:
http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=266039#266039

You may or may not see the dialog box for "Emulator Display Settings" under the Display tab. Display also may be called Interface. It is the same thing, just match the settings.

-Download these files:
http://www.mediafire.com/?xqwq7a3yvv1y5ew
Un-Zip them and place them in "Dolphin/User/GC"

Please PM me if these files go down again. Just so the thread isn't cluttered with broken link posts.

These files are necessary for emulation.

-Set up your hotkeys in the config menu, and your GC input.

-Start up SSBM in Dolphin and it should ask you to create a memory card. Once made this memory card file will appear in "Dolphin/User/GC"

-Download a complete save file from gamefaqs (Must be a .gci file) and import it using Dolphin's Memory Card Manager.

Dolphin TAS Playing the Game

-"Start recording" will start emulation. Each savestate you make contains your button presses. So you can play around, make a state, close dolphin without saving a dtm (file that contains your button input), re-open dolphin and load the state to continue.

WARNING: Always disable read-only mode in the "Emulation" dropdown menu, since it's broken and if you load a state that contains button input while read-only is active, your movie will stop being recorded!

-"Config" -> "Interface Tab" -> "Hotkeys Button", you can set your hotkeys here.
Most important hotkeys are Pause/play, Frame Advance, and the savestate-related keys.
"Frame advance" can be ON or OFF.
When ON, pressing Pause/play will advance 1 frame.
When OFF, pressing Pause/play will only switch between paused mode and nonpaused mode.

-When you're done, save your dtm. Playing it back should always yield the same result. The movie will use the ingame settings that are saved in the memory card, i.e. if you made your movie in english mode with items set to OFF, make sure your memory card uses those settings else it might desync.

-You can use any of 3 possible controls for your inputs. They are keyboard, TAS input dialog box, or Controller. I use both keyboard and TAS input dialog box. Keyboard for button inputs and TAS input panel for fine tuned joystick control.

CAUTION:Even if the settings are the same, there's a slight chance it desyncs anyway. Sometimes trying to play back sufficient amount of times works. For people are having trouble syncing their movies even when using the recommended settings (though my guess is they weren't using the recommended settings).

Dolphin TAS Uploading to Youtube

-Prior to playing it back, go to graphic settings advanced tab, enable DUMP FRAMES.
In audio settings enable DUMP AUDIO. In */user/dump/audio or frames, it should save the avi and wav.
The AVI will be recorded in the resolution the window used at the time of recording the avi. So you should render to seperate window instead of main window, to make sure it uses 640x480.

-Merge Avi and WAV by using an edit program like sony vegas or movie maker (though movie maker sucks for obvious reasons), or by using avisynth (what I'm doing). Avisynth is a scripting language, you write avs files and load them in virtualdub and save the AVI.

-Sometimes there are frames that take longer than 0.016s (1/60th of a second). NTSC games use 60 FPS (frames per second), when the game loads a level or the next screen etc.
Audio still keeps playing during those frames but the recorded avi only plays 0.016s. So as a result, the audio desyncs and you need to put in extra frames manually to prevent the audio desyncs.

Dolphin TAS Extra

-If you press pause while advancing a frame, you can immediately see the pause screen. But sometimes you see it the next frame, due to dolphin behaving weird (I think wak once said it depends on how much time passed since power-on)

This can cause hiccups during any of your runs. So just be mindful that if something doesn't seem right when placing inputs that this may be the reason. In my experience it doesn't happen often but it is hard to notice when it does.

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
Naka! Can't wait to see what you come up with. And I'll be all over this when I get a new computer.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
The frame advance in dolphin doesn't seem to work as well as the one in debug mode. I press downb and then advance a frame and it doesn't execute until about 2-3 frames later. This makes it pretty hard for me to try and do TAS things. :/ Any tips?

Nakamaru

Smash Master
I honestly don't know what causes it, but sometimes there will be a delay. How to remedy this is just save what you have and restart dolphin. : |

I wish i could tell you a better way, but i have the same problem and haven't figured out a better way. It just gets bogged down i think. I usually have about 1 frame delay. So i just used trial and error until i get the right timing. It can be frustrating.

If you can find a way to get debug mode working in dolphin please post about it. I have tried but it crashes every time. >.< So i use this method as the next best thing. It is mainly for testing out things for theory crafting purposes.

Walbytamer11

Smash Apprentice
The deposit files say "This file does not exist, the access to the following file is limited or it has been removed due to infringement of copyright." Any alternate sites? :(

Nakamaru

Smash Master
At the moment i have no other file sites i can upload the zip file to. If anyone has any suggestions on a more permanent file site i will upload the files there.

MJfan725

Smash Apprentice
When I did this, it dumped the audio, but I see no Frame file under dump. Yes, I have it enabled.

MJfan725

Smash Apprentice
I have 3.0. Im going to try using 4.0.2 now.

Edit: It worked, but it is now desynced. I can make new ones now. Is there way to fix the old ones? If not that's fine.

Last edited:

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman
Old ones will still likely desynch. One thing you can do to prevent desynchs in the future is to TAS using the 20XX Training Hack Pack so that you immediately start at the character selection screen. I've found that going through the menus can cause desynchs (likely related to memory card stuff but idk).

MJfan725

Smash Apprentice
Sorry to ask another question, but I lost another TAS because it did not save the dtm file and the dump only captured a quarter of the screen. Do you know why the dtm didn't save? It does not give me the option to save nor do loading the save states work.

Last edited:

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman
You made sure to record the .dtm (via Emulation --> Start Recording), right?

As for the save states, check your hotkeys.

Last edited:

MJfan725

Smash Apprentice
Yes for start record, but what I mean with the save states is that when I load them, the dump won't contain the stuff before the state, it will skip right to the frame in which the state was saved.

WinterWonter

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mikael72202
3DS FC
5241-2891-3126
Hey so I'm having an issue. Every time I try to record TAS it says "You have resized the window, there is no way to fix this blah blah blah blah blah" Even though I don't resize the window, and looking at the frame dump, there's a black bar but only to the right, which is more confusing that annoying I suppose. I have the window sized at 640x480 as well. And yes I know it's like a 99% chance that I have some settings wrong, but the pictures for the settings are expired or w/e. Also I checked the first post and turned off all that it said to, soooooooo.

WinterWonter

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mikael72202
3DS FC
5241-2891-3126
Post screenshots of your settings. Which version of Dolphin are you using? I use 4.0.2, and I've never run into that problem on that version.
I may or may not have been very stupid and was using the newest version for netplay (4.0-7161) because I didn't realize that an older version would be better. Whoops. I'll check and see if using that version fixes it for me.

scrumpy senpai

WinterWonter

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mikael72202
3DS FC
5241-2891-3126
Yup, it was just that version. Duh. This version is a bit weird and the audio desyncs but I fixed it so it's all good. Amazing what you can do when you look at what's already right there :079:.

Side note, I'm a big fan of yours and I wanna make vids like yours. Sorry about all the hate you're getting rn for posting stuff that you actually want to, mostly the CISWY stuff rn.

Soulblood

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mattrition
3DS FC
2191-8351-1937
Thanks for the help! But is there a way to increase the framerate of the recording? Because whenever I play a recording, it goes at about 42 FPS.

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman
Dolphin may lag if you play back your recording while dumping frames, but your framedump.avi videos will still come out at 60 FPS.

Last edited:

Yaruzu

Smash Cadet
So I've had this problem for a while and I have no idea what causes it. After I dump the frames there are random times where for 1 frame the screen is black. It actually happened less in a video I uploaded a couple days ago, but there are about 14 times where this happens over a span of a minute. I am using Dolphin 4.0.2 and to my knowledge I am using the correct setting. Any help please?

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman
So I've had this problem for a while and I have no idea what causes it. After I dump the frames there are random times where for 1 frame the screen is black. It actually happened less in a video I uploaded a couple days ago, but there are about 14 times where this happens over a span of a minute. I am using Dolphin 4.0.2 and to my knowledge I am using the correct setting. Any help please?
Send me one of your .avi files and screenshots of your settings.

Last edited:

zekry

Smash Rookie
NNID
mechagodzilla18
Whenever I try to record a TAS that is from a save state it only records what was inputted during the frames afterward. Is there a way to record from a save state or am I screwed?

Yachtnaught

Smash Rookie
The Imageshack mirrors in the TASVideos thread are broken, should I just use the settings that are written in the OP?

TragicGameplay

Smash Cadet
So I may be a little late but do we have a solution to or any way to help the whole when TASing 1 frame delay bug I have searched for a WHILE and still cant find anything?

Top Bottom