• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB 2015 Community Tier List

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
The tier list was revisited after the meta advanced significantly beyond what the previous years-old tier list represented, particularly after Apex 2015 Top 8.

Below is the tier list with average ranking plus standard deviation for 86 voters, and overall movement.

S Tier

:pikachu64: (1.10 ± 0.38) ±0

:kirby64: (2.18 ± 0.59) ±0

A Tier

:falcon64: (3.42 ± 0.92) +1

:fox64: (3.70 ± 0.96) -1

:yoshi64: (4.85 ± 0.63) +1

B Tier

:jigglypuff64: (6.46 ± 0.99) +2

:mario64: (6.49 ± 0.88) -2

C Tier

:samus64: (9.28 ± 1.44) +4

:dk64: (9.49 ± 1.48) -2

:ness64: (10.02 ± 1.43) -1

:link64: (10.33 ± 1.34) -1

:luigi64: (10.67 ± 1.20) -1​

NOTES:
  • The data calculation document is mine. People who listed characters as ties/interchangeable were registered as the same ranking by averaging (sum of rankings)/(number of tied characters). For example voting 3 characters as "the same" who would take up the 8th, 9th, and 10th positions, they would all be given a rank of 9. KoRo's calculations gave them each unique rankings as they were listed, and in the end our lists ended up being the same.

Last edited:

Cestus

Smash Cadet
Good stuff. I think Mario and Jiggz have so much more potential that is represented here, so get working on it, boyz :D

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I can see how they're ranked, but how are they tiered? Should Samus and DK be in the B tier even though they are closer in score to the C tier characters?

Also, RIP @ THE_MAAFIA THE_MAAFIA
The bottom 3 characters all happened to be with one another, around the same number. They became the unanimous bottom 3.

SWF article coming soon

Reddit link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...ear_update_come_reality_a_new_community_tier/

The most surprising thing to me here is how far up Samus moved. Didnt she used to be lowest on the tier list?
Not enough representation of the characters below. Samus is also semi-ok on Dreamland compared to the characters below them. Don't take this to too much heart, Samus is still bad, it's more that the other characters are worse.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
The bottom 3 characters all happened to be with one another, around the same number. They became the unanimous bottom 3.

SWF article coming soon

Reddit link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...ear_update_come_reality_a_new_community_tier/

Not enough representation of the characters below. Samus is also semi-ok on Dreamland compared to the characters below them. Don't take this to too much heart, Samus is still bad, it's more that the other characters are worse.
I just don't see how Samus and Mario can be with Jiggs and DK. The gap is 3 points while their gap with the bottom 3 is only 1. How is the line being drawn?

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I just don't see how Samus and Mario can be with Jiggs and DK. The gap is 3 points while their gap with the bottom 3 is only 1. How is the line being drawn?
I'm kinda now wondering the opinion of other players. Should there be a 5 character bottom tier?

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071

Cassio

Smash Master
I liked the old one better, but what do I know.

Last edited:

Cassio

Smash Master
Can you explain what the voting/discussion was like? Like was there an emphasis on tournament results, or was perceived character strength considered etc.? I dont know if there will be disagreement but explanations tend to alleviate those.

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
There will be some people upset with this list simply because they do not like change. Truthfully tho nothing has changed. The characters are all exactly the same as they were in 1999. There is no need to get upset with this list because an update was long overdue. good job getting this done guys. Although i do think Samus was a bit overvalued i think the rest of the moves make sense. Interesting that pika and kirby are the only 2 characters to remain in the same position.

I agree with shears that samus + dk should be grouped with the bottom 3. that's just the way the game is. those bottom 5 are all just very even with each other. If you really wanted you could have a seperate tier for dk+samus but that might be a bit much

Last edited:

ѕupa

Smash Rookie
:mario64: > :jigglypuff64:

:dk64: > :samus64:

imo

really not seeing how DK dropped so low unless it was due to how less he is played in most tournaments. samus didn't just become a powerhouse overnight and for the most part is still less viable than half of the cast. i feel a lot of these changes are arbitrary besides yoshi who has clearly shown apt potential in results alone.

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
alright the bottom 5 are their own tier now you guys can stop pming me

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
:mario64: > :jigglypuff64:

:dk64: > :samus64:

imo

really not seeing how DK dropped so low unless it was due to how less he is played in most tournaments. samus didn't just become a powerhouse overnight and for the most part is still less viable than half of the cast. i feel a lot of these changes are arbitrary besides yoshi who has clearly shown apt potential in results alone.
i agree with you here but i guess tourney usage has made people percieve samus a bit higher and maybe jigs as well

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
i agree with you here but i guess tourney usage has made people percieve samus a bit higher and maybe jigs as well
puff and mario were 0.03 ranks apart on average, theyre essentially tied

Blahcookies

Smash Rookie
I don't know much about Smash 64 because I mainly play melee and I don't know how much the tier list has changed over the years, but both games are proof that you don't need patches for the meta game to change and this tier list helps prove the point! Very cool!

Capos

Smash Apprentice
I'm kinda now wondering the opinion of other players. Should there be a 5 character bottom tier?
I had the same first thought, it seems like a weird cutoff. (well, second thought, the real first was RIP The Maafia)

ѕupa

Smash Rookie
i think a lot of it whether people want to admit or not is because of jousuke but that feels more of a test on how good jousuke is compared to how good samus is. she's still literally the only character on the roster who doesn't have a 0 to death and weakest combo potential which is very important in higher level play and i dont expect to see any samus' in top 8 soon

Last edited:

Capos

Smash Apprentice
i think a lot of it whether people want to admit or not is because of jousuke but that feels more of a test on how good jousuke is compared to how good samus is. she's still literally the only character on the roster who doesn't have a 0 to death and weakest combo potential which is very important in higher level play and i dont expect to see any samus' in top 8 soon
That's a different version, and Samus is considered better in that one anyway.

Blueberry Kong

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DKbill
Is Falcon really better than Fox? And how is Jigglypuff so high? And if DK has an infinite on the entire cast... how is he so low. People just never use it cuz they'd rather not but im almost positive it's legal, and definately doable at top level of play.

ѕupa

Smash Rookie
That's a different version, and Samus is considered better in that one anyway.
then is there some other magical reason as to why she's B tier now besides that? cobr and kabal are two NA samuses that spring to mind that make any sort of waves and the latter doesn't even play in local tournaments, just online.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
No combo potential?

http://gfycat.com/TediousMadFishingcat

Top Bottom