• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard - Separate Characters vs Shared Debate

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
While I’m happy that Squirtle and Ivysaur returned to Smash, I would prefer that they along with Charizard were each separate. Even though as a team, they’re better now than they were in Brawl, other pokemon such as Pikachu, Pichu, Lucario, and Greninja get to be their own character and I want the same for Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard.

Yeah, I get that the experts say it’s helpful being able to change between them with down special for certain match-ups but having them as each their own character is much more fun.

Squirtle and Ivysaur would each be able to have their own down special, and Charizard would have his rock smash move again; I want that feeling of getting to use Charizard’s rock smash again.

If there is any way possible, I hope in the future the team of devs for the Smash series can make them each their own character like they were in Project M.

Last edited:

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
I will say this.

These are my ideals for Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard. Regardless of them being a shared character, I have a lot of tremendous fun playing as them.

The developers have done a great job on them as they have with this game.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is my most favorite Smash game.

BigRedMonster07

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I get that the experts say it’s helpful being able to change between them with down special for certain match-ups but having them as each their own character is much more fun
How is it much more fun?

He allows you to change your’re play style rapidly. :ultpokemontrainerf:is in my opinion the most well designed character in smash, and separating him would make him WAY less fun.

I don’t understand why some People want them solo.

Edit: I would accept solo :ultsquirtle::ultivysaur:or:ultcharizard: but ONLY if Pokemon trainer could be a fighter who you actually play as.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't have much of a problem with the Pokemon Trainer gimmick. It's like having Ash and his Pokemon in the roster.

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
I must emphasize that I am content with Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard being a shared character if it means not taking up extra roster space. It’s a lot of fun playing them in Project M. But with Ultimate, it’s objectively best they remain the way they are for now, especially considering the hefty amount of characters Ultimate has.

Admittedly, when it comes to the Kanto starters, I have nostalgia bias as Gen 1 as been one of my favorite generations of Pokemon, with the other being Gen 3. I want Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard to stay as a shared character if it means getting a Gen 3 Pokemon in Smash for the future. To this day, it’s weird seeing Gen 3 not having representation given it’s one of the most popular Pokemon generations. Gen 5 and Gen 8 don’t have representation either, but IMO Gen 3 feels overdue for one. Other Pokemon generations getting representation would certainly do for a future Smash game since Ultimate already has a lot of Pokemon characters.

Ideally, I have always longed for Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard to have their own down B moves. Perhaps one day they could have the Pokemon switch be holding shield plus pressing B, similar to how the Inklings refill their ink. By doing that, they could have their own down B moves and still be a shared character without taking up roster space.

Last edited:

Cam_Batant

Smash Apprentice
Ideally, I have always longed for Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard to have their own down B moves. Perhaps one day they could have the Pokemon switch be holding shield plus pressing B, similar to how the Inklings refill their ink. By doing that, they could have their own down B moves and still be a shared character without taking up roster space.
That is a great idea that way the three pokemon could have more depth and be more viable.

Top Bottom