• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle for Smash Switch/Squirtle Support Thread

Zenigame.

Smash Rookie
If you couldn't tell by looking to the left of the screen, I really like Squirtle. Loved him in brawl! I'd pick Pokemon Trainer and use him permanently, but then the stamina system happened. Luckily all 3 pokemon were freed in Project M (R.I.P). When I looked through all the support threads and saw that none were made for Squirtle OR Ivysaur, I was a little disappointed, mainly because I'm really bad at presentation and didn't want to make a whole thread of my own since it'd be pretty lackluster. Other than that, I really want Squirtle back! His moveset was great in my opinion, the shellshifting mechanic was neat, and I've always liked him as a pokemon. If I remember correctly, him and Ivysaur were both in the smash 4 files, but were cut out. I'm sure more can be said about these two, so it'd just be really nice to have them back. (Someone make an Ivysaur thread please!)

Pokémon Trainer Discord
https://discord.gg/AW3CGmJ

Zenigame.

Smash Rookie
Seeing that there was a Wolf thread, I thought it would be okay to make this. Figured as much though.

Kirbeh Kirbeh

the veterans thread is only for characters who made it to smash For. Characters like Mario, Pit, Cloud, etc

Characters like Wolf, ice Climbers, Snake, Ivysaur etc who were cuts can have their own threads.

On topic, I wouldnt mind Squirtle. I prefer ivysaur, but having the trio back with no gimmicks attached would be great

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Kirbeh Kirbeh

the veterans thread is only for characters who made it to smash For. Characters like Mario, Pit, Cloud, etc

Characters like Wolf, ice Climbers, Snake, Ivysaur etc who were cuts can have their own threads.
oh my bad then, now I feel silly

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Zenigame. Zenigame.

In case you haven't checked in again, your thread is fine. I got confused. :facepalm:

And to keep things on topic, what would you change to Squirtle if it were to comeback? Or for starters what would you add as a new special now that transformation/switching is gone?

Last edited:

Zenigame.

Smash Rookie
Zenigame. Zenigame.

In case you haven't checked in again, your thread is fine. I got confused. :facepalm:

And to keep things on topic, what would you change to Squirtle if it were to comeback? Or for starters what would you add as a new special now that transformation/switching is gone?
Oh, no problem! And definitely more throw combos. As for the down special, I can't really think of anything myself; there are just so many possibilities for it that I can't really pin any down. While the Bubble from Project M was nice, I'm not really expecting that. Pretty much anything is fine with me, though I'd like to hear some suggestions.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Well, if Squirtle were to come back and customs returned as well, then I think it could have the following:

Neutral Special:

Water Gun - Default. Functions as it did in Brawl.
Scald - Deals damage and KB but doesn't push opponents very far, even on full charge.
Hydro Pump - Takes twice as long to fully charge but releases a lot more water that pushes opponents with greater force.

Side Special:

Withdraw - Default. Functions as it did in Brawl.
Rapid Spin - Faster rotation but a slower travel speed. A little stronger and functions as a multi-hit attack if you connect from the start of the move. (Seriously tho, why wasn't Squirtle's attack called this to begin with. It matches Rapid Spin more than Withdraw in terms of function.)
Gyro Ball - The slowest version of Side B that travels the least distance but deals the most damage.

Up Special:

Waterfall - Default. Functions as it did in Brawl.
Surf - Less vertical distance, but a lot more horizontal distance.
Water Spout - Fast, but sends Squirtle straight up.

Down Special:

Protect - Default. A chargeable move where Squirtle retreats into it's shell. After fully charging the move, its shell will faintly glow and Squirtle will receive a little less damage and KB for a brief period.
Iron Defense - Takes longer to charge and wears off faster, but grants super armor in addition to reducing damage and KB.
Mirror Coat - Squirtle retreats into its shell which begins to glow. So long as the button is held down, Squirtle will remain in its shell and reflect projectiles that hit it.

Last edited:

Zenigame.

Smash Rookie
I like those ideas! I was looking at moves squirtle or any other water type pokemon could use for like an hour and couldn't actually decide which one to use or how it'd be used in smash. Thought about protect, but also head some offensive move ideas like Aqua Ring and things like that, but had trouble bringing the ideas to life. Considering Squirtle is lightweight, the knockback reduction suits him really well!

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I like those ideas! I was looking at moves squirtle or any other water type pokemon could use for like an hour and couldn't actually decide which one to use or how it'd be used in smash. Thought about protect, but also head some offensive move ideas like Aqua Ring and things like that, but had trouble bringing the ideas to life. Considering Squirtle is lightweight, the knockback reduction suits him really well!
You sure you didn't mean Aqua Tail? Or perhaps defensive to match Aqua Ring?

And thanks. Squirtles' a turtle so I figured a defensive move would fit it quite well. That said Aqua Ring could also work as a move that heals it little by little over time. Aqua Tail could maybe send out a projectile along the ground.

It was actually kind of tricky coming up with moves for Squirtle, more so because I wanted to include customs as well. Overall I made sure to stick to moves Squirtle can learn. As the first form it naturally doesn't have much unless you move into TMs of course, but I feel like most of the other moves it can learn wouldn't fit it very well in Smash.

Last edited:

Zenigame.

Smash Rookie
You sure you didn't mean Aqua Tail? Or perhaps defensive to match Aqua Ring?
Ah, yeah, Aqua Tail. Maybe Aqua Ring could also be an option? Maybe have it heal if it hits someone, say there's an offensive component added to it.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Ah, yeah, Aqua Tail. Maybe Aqua Ring could also be an option? Maybe have it heal if it hits someone, say there's an offensive component added to it.
I think Aqua Ring could work, but it'd be a little weird if it healed from attacking opponents since that's not really how it's supposed to work. Then again, a lot of stuff in Smash is really different from how it is in the source material.

Another idea for how it could work though is maybe having Squirtle create an actual ring on the stage that stays out for a little while and heals for as long as Squirtle stays inside the ring. Or they could just have it be a move that heals a little, but requires Squirtle to stand still. Sort of like a healing version of Cloud's Limit Charge.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Meowth isn't the only 1st gen Pokemon I want in Smash. I want Squirtle and Ivysaur in Smash too.

:002::007::052:

Zenigame.

Smash Rookie
I think Aqua Ring could work, but it'd be a little weird if it healed from attacking opponents since that's not really how it's supposed to work. Then again, a lot of stuff in Smash is really different from how it is in the source material.

Another idea for how it could work though is maybe having Squirtle create an actual ring on the stage that stays out for a little while and heals for as long as Squirtle stays inside the ring. Or they could just have it be a move that heals a little, but requires Squirtle to stand still. Sort of like a healing version of Cloud's Limit Charge.
Yeah, I was basing it off how withdraw does damage in smash but not in pokemon. Lucario's Double Team doesn't do damage in pokemon, but they made it a counter. Your Aqua Ring idea sounds pretty nice, but we can't have it heal for too much of course.

Meowth isn't the only 1st gen Pokemon I want in Smash. I want Squirtle and Ivysaur in Smash too.

:002::007::052:
Meowth sounds like a nice idea! Upgrading from pokeball pokemon to smash character.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Meowth sounds like a nice idea! Upgrading from pokeball pokemon to smash character.
That's what I have been dreaming for since 1999.

I think Squirtle's moves are fine. He just needs a new Down+B and a Final Smash. The same applies to Ivysaur as well.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
I love the whole line, but there's only a few ways I forsee this happening:

Squirtle and Ivysaur return with the Trainer and transformation gimmick, Stamina removed.

Squirtle and Ivysaur return as individuals with new Down-Bs and Final Smashs, Project M style.

Squirtle and Ivysaur return with a ''double battle trainer'' and fight like the Ice Climbers.

No way he pops in on his own. I'll support, but I seriously doubt it ever happens.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I only used Squirtle and Ivysaur when I played Pokemon Trainer in Brawl, so I'd love to see either of them return, though only after a 7th gen pokemon.
For moveset changes, I'd like B to be Water Pulse instead of Water Gun. Water Pulse could shoot a slow moving ring of water forwards that slowly expands, eventually revealing a blind spot in the centre that grows with the ring.
To replace down B's Pokemon switch move, why not Rain Dance? It could summon a small cloud that rises and lets out rain drops that damage but do no knockback.

Zenigame.

Smash Rookie
I love the whole line, but there's only a few ways I forsee this happening:

Squirtle and Ivysaur return with the Trainer and transformation gimmick, Stamina removed.

Squirtle and Ivysaur return as individuals with new Down-Bs and Final Smashs, Project M style.

Squirtle and Ivysaur return with a ''double battle trainer'' and fight like the Ice Climbers.

No way he pops in on his own. I'll support, but I seriously doubt it ever happens.
Hey, who knows? Zelda and Shiek got separated, did anyone expect that? (..DID anyone expect that? I actually have no idea.)

I only used Squirtle and Ivysaur when I played Pokemon Trainer in Brawl, so I'd love to see either of them return, though only after a 7th gen pokemon.
For moveset changes, I'd like B to be Water Pulse instead of Water Gun. Water Pulse could shoot a slow moving ring of water forwards that slowly expands, eventually revealing a blind spot in the centre that grows with the ring.
To replace down B's Pokemon switch move, why not Rain Dance? It could summon a small cloud that rises and lets out rain drops that damage but do no knockback.
Oh, never thought of that. Something like Palutena's custom move Heavenly Light? Sounds nice to me!

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I always liked Squirtle's fast and light playstyle, so I was looking for a move to add to that and I think Aqua Tail could work, where Squirtle would turn around and release a cone-shaped splash of water from his tail.
On the ground, it would be a quick way to stop opponents, as the range would be pretty big, but in the air it turns into a combo tool as anyone hit by the splash would be prone to comboes due to the light upwards knockback and the multi-hit keeping opponents in place.
This way, Squirtle has a way to make a whole area prone to his small comboing hitlboxes.

Of course, Squirtle would retain his aerial momentum while performing this move and it's a nice way to edegeguard, as the water splash is affected by gravity, allowing Squirtle to hit opponents recovering low.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
People say Squirtle and Ivysaur won't return because they are part of a removed gimmick. In other news, here's what chopped liver looks like.

:4sheik::4zss:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
People say Squirtle and Ivysaur won't return because they are part of a removed gimmick. In other news, here's what chopped liver looks like.

:4sheik::4zss:
The switching gimmick likely isn't the reason so much as simply not having enough time to squeeze them all in. We know some work on the two got done, but they were ultimately scrapped. Charizard alone stayed in due to his popularity, while another two Gen I Pokemon were likely seen as a low priority so long as one of Pokemon Trainer's trio made it back.

I think Sakurai made the right call with :4charizard:, but if they have the time, I wouldn't mind seeing the other two come back some day.

Luminario

Smash Lord
The switching gimmick likely isn't the reason so much as simply not having enough time to squeeze them all in. We know some work on the two got done, but they were ultimately scrapped. Charizard alone stayed in due to his popularity, while another two Gen I Pokemon were likely seen as a low priority so long as one of Pokemon Trainer's trio made it back.

I think Sakurai made the right call with :4charizard:, but if they have the time, I wouldn't mind seeing the other two come back some day.
Now that they've tried DLC, I wonder if they'll add them in with that in the next game. I don't see them being priority enough to be in the main game, but I bet they'll be well-received as DLC fighters.

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
As noted in Brawl "Super Smash Facts" by RelaxAlax, Blastoise was planned for a character. He was eventually replaced by Squirtle, b/c Sakurai wanted to include all 3 stages of pokemon. In Smash 4, all the pokemon are in their final stages sans Pikachu and Jigglypuff. I think Blastoise would fit better with the rest of the cast, but I would still be ecstatic to see squirtle back in.

Zenigame.

Smash Rookie
As noted in Brawl "Super Smash Facts" by RelaxAlax, Blastoise was planned for a character. He was eventually replaced by Squirtle, b/c Sakurai wanted to include all 3 stages of pokemon. In Smash 4, all the pokemon are in their final stages sans Pikachu and Jigglypuff. I think Blastoise would fit better with the rest of the cast, but I would still be ecstatic to see squirtle back in.
That's new (to me), and good point. Lets just hope Squirtle can be another exception..? Assuming Blastoise would be a heavy character, it'd take some time for me to get used to him, as I haven't mained any heavy characters.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
I'm not entirely sure Blastoise would be the best choice, as it runs the risk of being too Bowser-y.

Zenigame.

Smash Rookie
I'm not entirely sure Blastoise would be the best choice, as it runs the risk of being too Bowser-y.
Oh, true! I guess it'd just be a water bowser at the end of the day.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Playing as Squirtle was so unique and fluently that it was a shame that he didn't come back. But I agree that he's low priority sadly...

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I support this and I want to see these as alternate costumes

along with being able to change the color of the sunglasses to Orange.

Last edited:

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
Brawl moveset, but down B is shell smash. Squirtle retreats into his shell, and if he completes the animation, knock back and damage slightly increases.

Yes I know. Squirtle can't learn shell smash. But I think that it can be implemented well.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Brawl moveset, but down B is shell smash. Squirtle retreats into his shell, and if he completes the animation, knock back and damage slightly increases.

Yes I know. Squirtle can't learn shell smash. But I think that it can be implemented well.
That doesn't really work well with Squirtle's kit.

Squirtle's is meant to be a speedy mix up character. Boosting stats like that would be a little off.

If Squirtle's gets a new move, I'd rather it get something like ice beam where he fires it at the ground making it slippery for a few seconds, thus allowing more potential mix ups.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
That doesn't really work well with Squirtle's kit.

Squirtle's is meant to be a speedy mix up character. Boosting stats like that would be a little off.

If Squirtle's gets a new move, I'd rather it get something like ice beam where he fires it at the ground making it slippery for a few seconds, thus allowing more potential mix ups.
Squirtle-Zero

That'd actually be pretty interesting in Smash

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
I'd prefer no explicit Pokemon attack, but the move they use in the anime when Squirtle retreats in its shell and uses hydro pump to fire water out of the shells holes. Maybe while spinning the shell, but without sliding on the stage but staying at the same spot, dunno. Could have similarities with his side b or his down smash, I haven't played Brawl for a while.

PF9

Smash Lord
I'd like to see Squirtle in, this time represented by Ash's Squirtle (since we got his PIkachu and his Charizard and now his Greninja, let's add his Squirtle to the mix).

Ash's Squirtle was one of the first Pokemon he obtained in the anime. He was then as now the leader of a gang of Squirtle known as the Squirtle Squad. In their debut episode they were originally troublemakers but by the end of the episode they reformed as firefighters.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Squirtle being cut devastated me.

My ideal situation would be for him and Ivy to both be added back, with Greninja cut.

I just cannot see this happening.

Squirtle-Zero

That'd actually be pretty interesting in Smash

Holy Schneikeys.
I just realized... that Squirtle and Ivysaur could very well mock the Sub Zero/ Scorpion duo!!!1111!!!!!111!!!!

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I need Squirtle back so bad! Loved playing him (and the whole trainer trio) in Brawl, and all I want is for him back.

With an awesome pair of Squirtle squad shades

:squirtle:

Top Bottom