• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle for DLC ~ Show your support to Squirtle in the Fighter Ballot!

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
We could make some "vote for Squirtle" images and put them in our signatures. I dunno. Just throwing ideas around.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
So if squirtle does make it in, I hope Red appears in squirtle's victory animation much in the same way Chrom and Doc Loius do. I never understood why Red never appeared in any one of charizard's victory animations.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So if squirtle does make it in, I hope Red appears in squirtle's victory animation much in the same way Chrom and Doc Loius do. I never understood why Red never appeared in any one of charizard's victory animations.
Just cause no Pokémon Trainer. In a later smash game, I hope the Pokémon Trainer returns with all new Pokémon.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon Trainer Red as his own character would be awesome. He could use everything he has in his backpack like his bike etc etc... Id totally like that idea.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I mentioned Squirtle in my vote for Ivysaur. I think at the end of my description I said "Squirtle too"

So... You're welcome I guess

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
I am terribly disappointed at the lack of enthusiasm for Squirtle. I know we've already got like, 6 Pokemon fighters already but I want him back!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I am terribly disappointed at the lack of enthusiasm for Squirtle. I know we've already got like, 6 Pokemon fighters already but I want him back!
Yeah. I really wish people were more enthusiastic about all the veterans. It seems every veteran that isn't Roy, Wolf, Snake, or the Ice Climbers has very little supporters, and many haters. :(

LightningVance

Smash Apprentice
So with all the Melee veterans (except Young Link and Pichu, which don't seem too likely)

Is it possible we're getting all our Brawl veterans too???
Can my main come back??

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So with all the Melee veterans (except Young Link and Pichu, which don't seem too likely)

Is it possible we're getting all our Brawl veterans too???
Can my main come back??
Every cut veteran is someone's favorite smash character. Sakuri knows this. With DLC, characters won't be thrown away because of priority and time constraints. For pre-ballot DLC I think the characters that were almost finished, but didn't quite make it, and veterans are very likely. The only veteran I don't see returning is Snake, but even he could return because of high fan demand.
In other words, yes. It is very likely.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I actually would like Squirtle back to now that I think of it. He had an amazing moveset on his own in Brawl. Would be great to have him back.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Well, when I think back I have to admit that I didn't really use the Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle in fact) very often. But when I now look at the roster of Sm4sh, I miss something Brawl had.

Another thing: Like in the Ivysaur thread, this thread isn't really active or does get many posts. I mean, it only has 2 pages though Squirtle was a pretty nice character back in Brawl. I just want to try to bring more activity into this thread. Let's discuss arguments for Squirtle and be strong.

SQUIRTLE

Squirtle's artwork from Brawl, 2008.
Who is Squirtle and why should I care?
Squirtle is a Pokemon character who was in SSBB, but got removed in the newest SSB games. He was part of a transformation team, with Charizard and Ivysaur (who also got the boot). Us Squirtlelers?... think that we shouldn't be ditched due to some "popularity"!

Where can I find out more about Squirtle?
You can find more about Squirtle by playing Pokemon games, or by visiting the official Pokemon site. link

FREQUENT OBJECTIONS

Why is Squirtle deserving? He isn't popular, and we have Greninja!!!
Squirtle is deserving, because he is a popular Pokemon character + a Brawl newcomer. If Charizard gets to stay, why not Squirtle? Also, Greninja and Squirtle had very different play styles. Greninja is like a ninja (duh), while Squirtle is not.

But he's unevolved!
This hasn't stopped Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pichu, Mewtwo (yeah he's technically unevolved), Ivysaur or Squirtle himself for that matter.

Too many Pokemon characters!!!!
Since when do franchises have a limit on how many characters they get?

He isn't relevant!
His evolved form, Blastoise, has obtained a Mega Evolution in the recent Pokemon entries "Pokemon X & Y", along with Venusaur and Charizard. You can also select Squirtle as a gift from Professor Sycamore (other options being Charmander or Bulbasaur).

He's a trophy.
So are Mewtwo and Lucas.
/fin

Seashell Fun!

Moveset from Brawl:

Ground attacks
Normal
  • Dash attack - Squirtle runs, turns around while jumping, and hits with the back of its shell. Does around 6-10% damage. Does the most damage when it comes out. Oddly, it usually knocks foes in a 45° trajectory angle behind Squirtle. A fairly awkward move in general. Hits on frame 6-24.
  • Neutral attack - Squirtle punches once, then jumps forward and slaps with the tail, then flips forward and hits with the tail again. It's a one frame jab. Does 3%, 2%, 4% a total of 9% damage. The second hit can trip foes sometimes, or simply lead into a grab.
  • Up tilt - Squirtle hops up onto its tail, thrusting upward. Very quick. Somewhat resembles R.O.B.'s up tilt, only Squirtle needs to jump to get some range. Squirtle's small body becomes the hitbox for this move. This move can lead into itself, Squirtle's up special if foe DIs right, an up smash, an up aerial or neutral aerial. Does 6% damage. Hits on frame 5-6.
  • Forward tilt - Squirtle gets on all fours and slaps forward with its tail. Also very quick (start-up of 4 frames), and can repeated in rapid succession. The move has short range, and can be angled slightly. Does 6% damage.
  • Down tilt - Squirtle gets on its belly and withdraws its limbs, then spins forward, sweeping with its tail. Does around 9% damage, with a maximum of 13% damage possible (does multi-hits, which it helps against stale-move negation). When Squirtle is not tired, this move can KO lighter foes at extreme percentages, around 180% damage ranges. One of the strongest down tilts. Hitbox out on frame 6.
Smash attacks
  • Down smash - Squirtle withdraws into its shell and spins, shooting water out of both sides. Does 11% uncharged, 15% damage fully charged. This attack is comparatively weak and has short range - the small water burst and Squirtle's grounded spinning shell. Hits on frame 17.
  • Up smash - Squirtle jumps and slams its hands down on the ground causing geysers to rise on both sides of it, hitting a fairly large area, especially up. Does 16% uncharged, 22% damage fully charged. A powerful vertical finisher, this is Squirtle's most powerful attack, being able to KO at 66% when fully charged. Hits on frame 19 and 25.
  • Forward smash - Squirtle withdraws into its shell and launches forward. It can be angled up or down. Has launch resistance frames but short reach and long start-up (hits on frame 18-20) and ending lag limits its effectiveness. Does 14-19% damage.
Other attacks
  • Ledge attack- Gets up and whips its tail forward. Similar to its forward tilt in both appearance and range. Does 8% damage.
  • Ledge attack over 100%- Gets up and headbutts forward. Limited range. Does 10% damage.
  • Floor attack- Does 6% damage.
Aerial attacks
  • Neutral aerial - Withdraws into shell and spins in midair, releasing water from all sides. Good duration, also a good defensive move, due to its rather short range. Does 9% damage. Start-up of 4 frames.
  • Up aerial - Flips upward, using tail to knock opponents vertically. Somewhat weak, has a hard time KOing foes with good DI. Does 11% damage. Hits on frame 6.
  • Down aerial - Thrusts its tail downward, spinning around in a multi-hit attack. Similar to Mario's Mario Tornado, but with more vertical range due to the tail and the last hit inflicts decent horizontal knockback. Does 10% damage if all hits connect. Start-up of 6 frames.
  • Forward aerial - Thrusts both legs forward, hitting quickly. Fairly long duration, high knockback. Can KO off the stage at higher damage percentages. Great for gimping. Does 6% damage if it connects after the first frame and 12% damage if it connects in the first frame. Has sex kick properties. Hits from frame 5 to 14.
  • Back aerial - Thrusts its tail backward, hitting quickly. Fairly long duration, decent knockback. Has sex kick properties like his forward aerial. Also good for gimping and/or edgeguarding. Does 6% damage if it connects after the first frame and 10% damage if it connects in the first frame. Hitbox out on frame 5 and it ends on frame 14, like is fair.
Grabs and throws
  • Pummel - Headbutts the grabbed opponent. Does 2% damage. Relatively fast. Can grab release into a jab.
  • Forward throw - Puts its opponent in front of it, then kicks them. Does 9% damage.
  • Back throw - Puts its opponent behind it, and kicks their back. Has some KO power, if it doesn't KO, simply follow with a back aerial (best used to KO near the ledge). KOs near the ledge around 150% damage. Does 10% damage.
  • Down throw - Throws its opponent on the ground and slams on top of them. Second strongest down throw in the game and strongest down throw with horizontal knockback. Easily KOs around 130% damage. Does 7% damage.
  • Up throw - Throws its opponent upward and tackles them while in its shell. Also has moderate KO power above 150% damage. Does 11% damage.
Special moves
Neutral Special - Watergun
Side Special - Withdraw
Up Special - Waterfall
Down Special - Pokemon Change

Final Smash! - Hydro Pump of Triple Finish

-taken from ssbwiki

Decorate your signature with Squirtle!
-Coming Soon!

Supporter list (25 and counting!)

Discuss about Squirtle today!
Please add me to the supporter list. Here is my ballot contribution for Squirtle:

Shog

Smash Ace
Serious Question:
If some other fighter would be given Squirtle's / Ivysaur's moveset. Would you be disappointed?

[my fav starter is Squirtle btw... but so many Pokemon @_@]

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Serious Question:
If some other fighter would be given Squirtle's / Ivysaur's moveset. Would you be disappointed?

I guess I would, but the only characters that I could see working with Squirtle's moveset are his evolutions and Carracosta, and I don't think these are going to be added.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Miss him so much! I threw a vote his way - hope we get him and Ivy back since they were great in Brawl. I even made my HG/SS team be Squirt/Ivy/Char for that reason.

:007::squirtle::007:

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Wow. I really like it how one of the biggest users in the old Roy support thread now helps the other veterans after his veteran is back. Big respect point from me!

Great article! Hopefully much people read it.

Serious Question:

First, I don't think any other Pokemon than Pichu, Squirtle and Ivy stand a chance. Second, nearly no Pokemon could take their moveset. Just their evolutions.

Zenigame.

Smash Rookie
I was very sad to hear that he couldn't make it back.. when the smash ballot opened, he was the first person I voted for. Supporting.

Last edited:

Fogs

Smash Cadet
I'll support Squirtle too.
He was my favourite pokemon to play as in brawl. Really hoping he comes back.

MrMFC

Smash Cadet
NNID
iLFurkan
I need Squirtle :C As I was playing Brawl I was a casual and didn't really know much about his play style but after seeing Project M/Brawl videos I want to main him again and get good with him. Also he was my first Pokémon I ever had I NEED HIM NOW!

Tbh we won't get squirtle back to 99% unless we get more supporters or Sakurai brings every veteran back...

Last edited:

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441
surprised i haven't posted here yet. >.> i support both Squirtle and Ivysaur to return to smash.

but a thought just crossed my mind. what would you guys think if Squirtle came back as Wartortle? it just crossed my mind cause the theory around Pichu was that Pichu evolved into the current Pikachu we have, so what if the same thing happened to Squirtle?

granted Squirtle is more popular than Wartortle, so it's most likely not to happen. just a silly thought that crossed my mind. :p

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I miss that squirtly little turtle :c I have other hopes for dlc, but I'd be happy to see you guys get your way as well.
GL!

Top Bottom