• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle bad?

Getsafe

Smash Apprentice
Every squirtle main I've ever seen swears up and down that he's a terrible character but I'm really struggling to see how? Is it survivability or damage output or something?

I see a character with movement and ATs up the ass, no real stage disadvantages, useful projectiles, a strong gimp game, some disjoint/intangibility, a frame 1 kill move (though not easy to land), a not fantastic MU spread though if your MU thread is even slightly accurate he has advantage over some of the games best characters.

Wtf guys? Seriously wanting to pick this little guy up.

As a sheilda (but mostly Zelda) main, he really evens out my roster and looks fun as hell.

So what am I missing here?

3quinox

Smash Rookie
NNID
X3quinoxX
3DS FC
2294-6359-7765
Hes actually quite a good character since his attacks are quick i think he just lacks kill power and that he can sd sometimes (i crei evry teim)

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Unless they state why they think Squirt, there is no point. I can go on and on about the cool things Squirtle can do, but its meaningless unless I can tailor the response to the doubters because it comes down to a fundamental difference in perspective.

shinyskarmory

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4785-4798-2652
1. Squirtman has absolutely no reach on most of his moves, so he gets eaten alive by disjoints

2. Squirtman has no reliable camping methods or projectiles, so he has to be on the offense all the time.

3. Squirtman has terrible, terrible tech rolls, which can make it much easier to combo him

All of these factors are big weaknesses for Squirtle. All we really have for compensation is tech skill, and by extension mobility. How strong Squirtle is for you is 100% dependent on how well you can abuse Squirtle's mobility techs to play around those flaws. (To be fair, 20XX Squirtle probably more than makes up for them, but there are no 20XX Squirtles yet and at the current rate of development, we're years away from that point).

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
I am not convinced of the credibility and extent of the stubby arm syndrome, especially in the context of Squirtle with his crazy retreating to burst offensive options. Also, Squirtle may not be able to camp with projectiles, but water gun deals with most projectiles so you can out mobile most projectile campers. Also, while not for camping in what most people think of (projectiles), Bubble is an absurd walking tool. It never loses to cc, is safe on shield (except for glide toss OoS frame Diddy), and sets up your amazing tech chase game.

In the case for Squirtle being great, I would argue Bubble, crossup dair into dtilt/uptilt stuff, vertical kill power, and mobility as the main points. Sadly dtilt didn't make it because of asdi down on the first hit. That may be insignificant. Some say certain things in neutral have too hard of counterplay to expect 100% of the time. If so, dtilt is great too

Top Bottom