• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Square Enix to Sell Several of Their IPs and Studios

SB_Template_But_Logo_Is_On_by_Default copy.jpg

In a surprising turn of events, Square Enix has made a deal to sell several of their game series and studios to Swedish company Embracer Group (owner of THQ Nordic, Gearbox Entertainment, and Koch Media). The studios being sold are:
  • Crystal Dynamics
  • Eidos-Montreal
  • Square Enix Montreal

In addition, Embracer Group will now own the following IPs:
  • Tomb Raider
  • Deus Ex
  • Thief
  • Legacy of Kain
  • More than 50 back-cataloged games from Square Enix.

Square Enix states that the transaction was USD $300 million and those funds will be invested in fields such as blockchain, AI and the cloud. They also clarified that they still own the rights to Just Cause, Outriders, and Life is Strange.

Embracer Group had this to say about the buyout: "The acquisition brings a compelling pipeline of new installments from beloved franchises and original IPs, including a new Tomb Raider game."

The details of the acquisitions can be found in this tweet and the first two replies:

It will be interesting to see what the future of these franchises will look like underneath new management.

Credits:
Editor: Sari Sari
Thumbnail Graphic: @Zerp
Social Media: @Zerp

Author’s Note: How do you feel about Square Enix selling off these series? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
DanganZilla5

Comments

Selling Tomb Raider when the series has been doing better than ever with the recent titles seems pretty foolish. And Deus Ex.

This includes Just Cause and GEX on top of that? Wild.
Actually, Square Enix does still own Just Cause, as they clarified. I've got faith on THQ Nordic thanks to their recent SpongeBob games (especially Battle for Bikini Bottom Rehydrated) and Destroy All Humans! remakes (a second one was revealed months ago).

I don't often see people bringing up Pandemonium (one of my mother's favorite PS1 games; a Klonoa-like 2.5D platformer) and Fear Effect from Eidos/Crystal Dynamics' library, as well.

Last edited:
What do you think the mentioned Tomb Raider would it be Part of the Young Laura Series or The Classic Series From what i heard they play/ feel pretty difrently!

They got rid of a bunch of their franchises for just 300 million. Among these was Tomb Raider which is one of the best-selling videogame franchises in history. This was so SE can further pursue block chain/crypto which peaked a while back and has since been on a decline.

Thus, this is a truly certified Square Enix moment.
no i mean how is it an SE moment? have they done something like this a lot before? or is it just because its seems silly?

Off the top of my head they've made a lot of really bad business decisions like barely marketing NEO TWEWY which led to it doing poorly and just recently the whole nonsense with Yuji Naka and Balan Wonderland. Plus a lot of general incompetence across the board.
isnt yuji naka a well renowned egotist? I seem to recall everyone agreeing that it was his fault
As for neo, well as someone who grew up learning about games via word of mouth the importance of advertising is lost on me, especially in regards to a sequel to a cult classic game who’s announcement was pretty well spread. also doesn’t help that I live in a country where the purpose of ads seems to be to try and annoy you into buying things

oh well thanks for answering anyway, even if i didn’t fully understand

Last edited:
Top Bottom