• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squall for SSBU - Squall Leonhart Support Thread

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman

Squall Leonhart
Who is Squall you may ask?
Squall is the main character of Final Fantasy VIII.

Aren't 3rd Party Franchises restricted to one character?
So far, yes but if Sakurai ever made a rule on that, Sakurai definitely changed his mind on things before (like adding an Animal Crossing character in Smash).
If 3rd party franchises do get more than one character, I'd want it to be Final Fantasy

Why Squall?
I've heard people suggest him before and he has the potential to be our second Final Fantasy Character since Cloud was such a popular character in SSB for Wii U and 3DS. And between Final Fantasy and Bayonetta, Final Fantasy is more likely for a second rep because it is a much larger series.

What would he do?
Here is an idea.

Art:
TBD

Supporters:
S SEGAGameBoy
plasmabeam plasmabeam
fogbadge fogbadge
Pizza Robo Pizza Robo
Kirbeh Kirbeh
Shattered_Fantasy Shattered_Fantasy

Thoughts? Opinions?

Last edited:

plasmabeam

Smash Rookie
He's by far my most wanted. I support!

If we get a second FF rep, I'm banking on it being him. Don't care if he's a Cloud semi-clone or whatever, I just want him in.

plasmabeam

Smash Rookie
I'd love to see them incorporate some of Squall's Dissidia moves and magic. Rather than having another sword-focused FF guy like Cloud, they could shoot for a more balanced swordsman/mage. Maybe like Robin, but Squall should be quicker/lighter.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
I'd love to see them incorporate some of Squall's Dissidia moves and magic. Rather than having another sword-focused FF guy like Cloud, they could shoot for a more balanced swordsman/mage. Maybe like Robin, but Squall should be quicker/lighter.
That'd be cool

plasmabeam

Smash Rookie
These days I keep trying to talk myself into scenarios where Squall can make it in. Two things in his favor:

1) The writer of Subspace Emissary, Kazushige Nojima, is also the writer of FF8 and Squall's co-creator
2) Cloud Echo potential. Ideally Squall would be unique, but I'll take him any way I can get him. People love to point out that Zack Fair is the obvious Cloud Echo, but Squall isn't a stretch, especially considering he has attacks that match Clouds specials (Climhazzard = Rough Divide, Cross Slash = Renzokouken).

Keep the hope alive!

plasmabeam

Smash Rookie
Been thinking about this...

Since they're both gunblade users, why not have Squall and Lightning as the next Simon/Richter-style Echoes? Make two fanbases happy.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
FF8 is my favorite. Wish I'd checked the newcomer directory sooner, didn't realize this thread was a thing. Add me to the support list please. I can't even say what I was going to suggest because plasmabeam brought up the Echo potential already.

Though I would like to add that I'd like to see some GF make it in. Summons are already a thing on Midgar of course, but 8 also has my favorite designs for Shiva and Ifrit (weird how this version got used for Midgar, but I'm ok with it) among some cool unique ones like Quetzalcoatl (well unique at the time since it debuted in 8) so it'd be nice to see some of those get updated.

If he were to get in as a unique character though I'd love to see them try to work in the Draw command somehow given how big a role in plays in 8's gameplay.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Though I honestly would rather have Noctis, I wouldn't mind seeing Squall in Smash.

The first time I heard of this character was from Kingdom Hearts. I recently started playing Final Fantasy VII, and I dare say, I understand now why this series is so popular. That said, I'm looking forward to playing the FFVIII remake.

Shattered_Fantasy

Smash Rookie
I fully support this! He is my most requested character for Smash Ultimate! I hope it happens, but I'm so afraid it won't... Is there anyway we can build up hype for him to personally encourage the devs to add him?

Top Bottom