• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Spy! - Ness Matchup Directory

AuraWielder007

Smash Rookie
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
Wow, everyone seems to be so split with the Ness/Diddy MU.
Personally, I really struggle with Diddy Kong and have a hard time killing the little jerk.
Any advice on the Ness/Diddy matchup? I have a hard time calling it even or in Ness's favor, although Diddy in general kinda makes me a bit salty. XP

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
tl;dr for Ness vs Diddy is bair in neutral, challenge his recovery, PK Thunder, make the most of grab combos, don't let him land for free, PK Thunder.

This matchup probably isn't as good for Ness as I thought it was but I still think it's closer to his favour than Diddy's. Ness IMO has 3 truly defining winning matchups that make him worth using at the highest level and they are Fox, ZSS and Diddy Kong.

Last edited:

Kodystri

the PK Spamming Lucas Main
NNID
Kodystri
Guys, how do you deal with Diddy Kong once he has the banana and his super fast aerials?

Noa.

Smash Master
Guys, how do you deal with Diddy Kong once he has the banana and his super fast aerials?
You have to jump super carefully. And his banana throw oos is really dangerous so you have to be careful. If he has a banana in his hand he's really scary. Just put a lot of pressure on him so that he doesn't have time or space to take out a banana without you punishing him.

SirBacon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Seymorebuts
I need some help with the ryu vs ness matchup big time. I player junebug and Ronin X at To11 and while I did okay bracket wise those two tore me a new one :/ I think ryu wins about 60-40 but any ideas for ness? Or even a counter? I play pika as my secondary.

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
OK. We need to make a sort of matchup chart that puts a quantitative value on each matchup. In addition, we should make a thread for each specific matchup and put a link to each thread on its corresponding spot in the chart. Sound good?

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
Also, I'm noticing that Ness can have a pretty easy time against Bayonetta. I'm actually beating a power-ranked player in my state (HASL | Shade) with the Ness/Bayonetta matchup, and he has a pretty good Bayonetta too. Anyone else's thoughts?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Ness Bayo seems decent with the exception of that random glitch where we're one of 5 characters that miss her on a dash grab from behind if we're too close. But because our main way of killing isn't beaten by Witch Time, we can play a lot safer around kill percents than 95% of other characters, which is massive. We usually beat out her aerials (it's a weird interaction, but often if you're below a Bayo using Nair or Uair (even bullet arts variants) then your uair will just cleanly beat it out or at least trade). Stuff like that. She's like, and we can rack up some damage against her using PK Thunder when she's offstage. Also SDI her combos.

But recovering against a good Bayo is still a pain.

Last edited:

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
Well then, it looks like both of my characters can go toe-to-toe with Bayonetta. Let's put a number value on this matchup, shall we. 0 is even, -1 is slightly unfavorable, -2 is very unfavorable, 1 is slightly favorable, etc. I'm putting a 2 on it.

Also, should I make new threads for each specific matchup? I'd also like to make a matchup chart so that I can see Ness' coverage holes.

Last edited:

Earthboundy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Earthboundy
3DS FC
0173-1290-2436
I really need help agaist Yoshi. It seems like I can't punish him.

Assuming my Lucas is as good as my Ness, is he a better choice? If so, why?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Unfortunately Noa. Noa. Isn't as active on the boards these days so seeing this thread in particular start up again at present would be awesome but unlikely. That being said I'm dubious as to how easily MUs can actually be discussed in a place like Discord so I'm thinking when I have some free time I'll start this project back up. Unless Noa comes back and wants to, in which case :D .

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
What we'll start doing is initiating MU discussions with other character boards and whenever we do it I'll go and find as much video evidence of the MU at high levels of play as possible and post it for reference. :)

That being said this thread is pretty open if people want to make their MU chart predictions or feelings. Just gotta be aware the people may disagree with you and stuff. :)

BlazingPasta

Smash Rookie
NNID
BlazingPastaGuy
Have we done Marth yet? I'd love to see a discussion about that. I personally think it's really bad for Ness. Like -2 in Marths Favor maybe?

xEnvoy of Chaos

Smash Rookie
I'm not the best player but I don't think Marth is that bad. I know Ness has issues with sword characters in general but Marth may out range Ness but he can't really wall him out like before. Now a match up I swear is hard for Ness is Yoshi he moves so fast it's hard to punish anything he does

Earthboundy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Earthboundy
3DS FC
0173-1290-2436
I'm not the best player but I don't think Marth is that bad. I know Ness has issues with sword characters in general but Marth may out range Ness but he can't really wall him out like before. Now a match up I swear is hard for Ness is Yoshi he moves so fast it's hard to punish anything he does
I personally think it's dead even.

You outrange Yoshi rather hard. The key thing that helped me tremendously with the MU is I learned there is a spacing where Yoshi can't do much.

You can't be too far or you'll get egg camped, but you can't be too close or else you can't punish anything. Proper spacing is crucial to that MU. I also think we aren't taking advantage of foot stool gimping him, nor down smash at the ledge.

The Fun Sized

Smash Rookie
I recently went to a local tournament, and was swiftly obliterated by a Yoshi player. After having searched forums and playing against other yoshis, I have yet to grasp that "ideal spacing." When playing this matchup, I find that as soon as I begin to start something, I either get naired or they double jump out. I also have trouble punishing his landing due to the previously mentioned nair combined with his incredible aerial mobility. Maybe I'm just missing a crucial part of this, but I feel like this is a fairly difficult for ness.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
I recently went to a local tournament, and was swiftly obliterated by a Yoshi player. After having searched forums and playing against other yoshis, I have yet to grasp that "ideal spacing."
stay comfortably outside his nair/jab range. his options are limited there.

When playing this matchup, I find that as soon as I begin to start something, I either get naired or they double jump out.
Don't stay in range of nair if you don't have a guaranteed hit. If you're forced into this situation, mixup between AD -> Nair/Uair and using your own nair to trade. If he double jumps out, he takes full damage of whatever you hit him with, plus, you're in a good position to try and capitalise on his landing. Again, don't be in range of nair.

I also have trouble punishing his landing due to the previously mentioned nair combined with his incredible aerial mobility. Maybe I'm just missing a crucial part of this, but I feel like this is a fairly difficult for ness.
if he tries to land by nairing at you and it doesn't hit your shield (if he hits your shield, you might be able to Nair OoS), there's a ton of stuff you can do to him. Fair/Bair/Uair will beat out his Nair. PKF/Dash attack also work (sparingly).

realistically he shouldn't be landing with nair every time but it is beatable.

Last edited:

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Hey :4ness: Mains!!!! The Mega Man boards are currently discussing the Ness mu along with the :4lucas: mu for this week. If anyone here would like to give their input on either mu, it would be most appreciated. Thank you! :)

LumpyGravy

Smash Cadet
NNID
shigalev
Need help with Peach and Bowser. Peach is easy if she's playing aggressively because you can wall her out with fairs and bairs but if she's staying back, throwing turnips, and spacing her moves she's kinda hard to approach.

With Bowser it just feels like nothing is safe on his shield or on whiff so I'm uncertain about what sort of spots I'm supposed to be looking for as far as finding openings. Intuition would say that you should just play very passively and reactively/punish-based like you would against Luigi but Bowser has such a large and frightening presence in comparison to Luigi and covers ground so much quicker that I feel like I'm just giving up neutral for free if I don't do something proactive. Also having a hard time keeping up with him as far as killing early goes, which is unusual for Ness.

Top Bottom