• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Springfield, MO discussion thread

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Our Melee crew meets every Tuesday, and sometimes in between. If Missouri ever has another tournament, we will likely go.

For Brawl, I don't believe they have any kind of set schedule. You would probably just hit Terral up and you guys could arrange a time to play.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
He's gonna come play Melee. C'mon broseph. We'll show you how to be good at a real fighting game.

EDIT: I believe the opposite of what Hax believes about this game. He is saying that approaching is bad, but I've found approaching with movement prediction is much more rewarding than waiting to predict what they're gonna do and then moving out of the way and then hitting them. I've been incorporating that with lasers and FINALLY I'm dash dancing. I really want to play more melee right now.

Smashallday

Smash Rookie
Forgot I have physical therapy later today so I won't be able to make the trek up. Im gonna try and schedule next tuesday's physical therapy some other time so I can come and smash.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
He's gonna come play Melee. C'mon broseph. We'll show you how to be good at a real fighting game.

EDIT: I believe the opposite of what Hax believes about this game. He is saying that approaching is bad, but I've found approaching with movement prediction is much more rewarding than waiting to predict what they're gonna do and then moving out of the way and then hitting them. I've been incorporating that with lasers and FINALLY I'm dash dancing. I really want to play more melee right now.
Hax...or Wretched...

HMMMMMMMMM

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
The thing is, and this is true for any competition I've ever examined deeply, controlling the pace of the match is your key to victory - assuming relative mechanical skill levels. Anything can win if you're just fundamentally better than your opponent...

This generally means being the aggressor in terms of making the first move. In some situations/games, aggression only manifests as aggressive-defensive, which is fine. Take falcon, an undeniably defensive character, who will still run up and cut off your space. He isn't aggressing you directly, but he made the first move and now you are playing reactively. Enter ze mindgames. The point is that passive defense will only bring you success if the other person allows it. Whether you win is on them, not you. In general I think this is a terribly unrewarding way to play unless your only goal is to win. Unfortunately passive defense is OP before the metagame develops A LOT (i.e. slightly more than Melee's has). I think Armada said offense will gradually catch up to defense in the meta as people get better. I also think Hax's viewpoint is tainted by playing Falcon, who is hard to aggress with well and is easier to play super defensively due to his speed, big *** hitboxes, and auto combos. Also people tend to play defensively against falcon in return because he's a BS character that can be given nothing and make a comeback out of it in the most formulaic way. So yeah. Bias.

On the other hand Mango has a fundamentally aggressive soul and applies it to every character he plays. And really, once you tap into that "spirit" you realize it's just about understanding your character's hitboxes and what your opponent wants to do, then outplaying them. And then the game becomes truly fun.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Mango is of the same opinion as Wretched on this one.

Hax...or Mango.....

HMMMMMMMMMMMM <3
Actually I completely agree with Mango too. I just couldn't pass up on opportunity.

I somehow try to approach with Ganon...maybe that's my problem...

-Sinister-

Smash Ace

it depends on what character. if you just rush in and guess with sheik or marth you'll get *****. you can with fox and falco because they're broken as all **** and should be deleted.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
it depends on what character. if you just rush in and guess with sheik or marth you'll get *****. you can with fox and falco because they're broken as all **** and should be deleted.
But approaching embodies a lot more than just moving forward :( Sheik and marth can do it fine. In terms of rushing in and guessing, yeah spacies can and do pull off that stupid aggression, but it isn't the essence of the idea and it's certainly not unbeatable. Most other characters are merely limited to intelligent aggression, but I don't think they're worse off for it.

Terry

Smash Ace
We should smash today if possible. I have a couple things to do but I will be available in a bit.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Missouri meets Georgia in MO's first ever SEC opener.

Though over-ranked, I believe Georgia will still win. I'll root for Missouri vs other non-conference teams in the future, but today I hope they get a beating :)

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Missouri meets Georgia in MO's first ever SEC opener.

Though over-ranked, I believe Georgia will still win. I'll root for Missouri vs other non-conference teams in the future, but today I hope they get a beating :)
Woo pig ;)

Be warned that I will be trash talking the Hogs regardless of their performance since they're playing Rutgers in 2 weeks and that's where I went to college.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Woo pig ;)

Be warned that I will be trash talking the Hogs regardless of their performance since they're playing Rutgers in 2 weeks and that's where I went to college.
I actually could take it alot better had we not had some guys get seriously injured the other night. But yeah, we stunk it up- did not expect it to be this bad without Petrino.

Usually, we would destroy Rutgers by like 3 or 4 touchdowns, but honestly I'm expecting you guys to beat us this year. We won't even be a ranked team by that time, so don't feel too special :embarrass:

Zantetsu

Smash Master
My co-worker that I said was just like you is a packers fan. It would be hilarious to see a debate between you two. It'd be like arguing with yourself.

Terry

Smash Ace
Prisoner, we start playing Romans around 12 and stop around 5. We always go out to eat at Hardees afterwards or we order pizza. If anyone wants to play any more then we usually play at Wretcheds.

EDIT
Terral is probably the only one that plays Brawl but if you really want to I would definitely play you a few games since you're down to play some Melee with us. Haven't played in a very long time though. I don't mind playing Brawl but Melee is just more fun for me.

Btw, who do you main in Melee and Brawl? Also, do you know basic things like l-cancelling, etc? Sorry if you've said this already but sometimes I don't keep track of the thread.

Oh, and if you have a Facebook, we have a Facebook page where we plan smash days and talk random smash stuff.

Prisoner 24601

Smash Rookie
Prisoner, we start playing Romans around 12 and stop around 5. We always go out to eat at Hardees afterwards or we order pizza. If anyone wants to play any more then we usually play at Wretcheds.

EDIT
Terral is probably the only one that plays Brawl but if you really want to I would definitely play you a few games since you're down to play some Melee with us. Haven't played in a very long time though. I don't mind playing Brawl but Melee is just more fun for me.

Btw, who do you main in Melee and Brawl? Also, do you know basic things like l-cancelling, etc? Sorry if you've said this already but sometimes I don't keep track of the thread.

Oh, and if you have a Facebook, we have a Facebook page where we plan smash days and talk random smash stuff.
My faceboook is http://www.facebook.com/angel.sotelo.90
what is wretcheds? i main brawl because my brother sold my melee but i went to vintage stock i ordered melee. so i plan on playing that now, i did know the basics but i havnt played melee competitivly in a year and a half so only time would tell, but it shouldnt take me too long to relearn.

Terry

Smash Ace
Well, if you're gonna play Melee with us, we love you. And I meant what characters do you main? :o

Oh, Wretched is Sean, lol. We call him Wretched because its metal.

Added you on FB. I'll be the one named Terrence.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I will meet you in person, confirm that you are not a spy, then add you on Facebook.

Also, super excited to hear about you switching to Melee. It's a far superior game, but the skill gap is immense so I hope you like a challenge.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
If anyone was curious about the status of the player database, some tournament processing is finished (ELO rating isn't), uploading is mostly finished, and today I finished up the user login/registration system. The interface hasn't been started, there's still a bit of work left to do. I tested uploading the .tio files for MIST and the May Pathways tournaments together (I don't know if the current ssbpd lets you upload more than one file at a time, but this one does) and it was able to process it and show all seven brackets in a quarter of a second. Kinda neat. The main problem is that I'm about three days into this and kind of screwed if no one donates once it launches, but I'll worry about that later.

Top Bottom