• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Springfield, MO discussion thread

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
In-laws were in town for vacation. We played games at the cabin, went swimming at Table Rock, and ate at a nice home style restaurant. Basically just spending time with family and relaxing :)

G. Vice

Smash Lord
In-laws were in town for vacation. We played games at the cabin, went swimming at Table Rock, and ate at a nice home style restaurant. Basically just spending time with family and relaxing :)
Ahh yes...the married life. Must be nice bro. I'm almost to the point where I'm giving up on that, and embracing the life of replaying and maxing classic RPG's and playing melee online til I'm old. Girls are soooo much stress and take up so much time...

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Ahh yes...the married life. Must be nice bro. I'm almost to the point where I'm giving up on that, and embracing the life of replaying and maxing classic RPG's and playing melee online til I'm old. Girls are soooo much stress and take up so much time...
You just need a stress free woman dude. My wife makes life easier, not more difficult.

:phone:

Zantetsu

Smash Master
News for the smashfest on Tuesday. We'll probably be doing the same thing as last time. We'll be smashing from 12 - 5 and we may find a place to eat. Michael brought up a good suggestion though. There's a big tournament in California going on right now that Kels is at and it would be good to observe some matches and go over some things that we see so we can learn some things. I haven't watched many matches recently so I could probably pick up on a few tricks, and I'm sure everybody else can as well.

If anybody has an ethernet cord, could they bring it? I would like to move my computer out into the living room where my modem is, but my 2 50 foot ethernet cords are all hooked onto my wall with sticky putty and tape and I don't want to move the cords around, so if somebody can bring a decently long ethernet cord, that would be great. If not, we'll try and cram everyone in my tiny room for viewing. If no

Who is all going to be there? I would really like a head count so I know what to expect. So far I believe it will be me, Michael, Terrence, Wretched, and Terral. I'll see if Drew is down to come by again. Would anybody else like to show up? 8 people would be awesome, especially since it's enough for a small tournament.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Sweet.

Definitely hyped for smash tomorrow. I don't think vids will be up just yet since the tourney was just yesterday (that wc tourney).

Roman, one thing I'd like to see from you tomorrow is a little more consistency with character selection. I like the fact that you're really good with several characters, but I fear you may spread yourself too thin when this is a good time to focus on less characters to hone your skills more. Last few times we've played, it's almost a different character every single match. Just a suggestion though. I'd love to hear your thoughts on your character selection, and what your plans are as far as tournaments go on character selection (whether that be here on smashboards or in person).

I've been watching a TON of 49er videos this offseason, and I've learned a lot about teamwork and all the little things that each and every one of us can do to help each other get better which will in turn improve ourselves. Constructive feedback is key. Let's try to focus more on giving each other advice. Things we see about each others play that makes it hard for us - Like when Wretched sets up fake out lasers knowing that I'm quite good at power shielding. He will sometimes pretend to laser and punish me hard when I attempt to powershield nothing. Or when we do something that makes it easier for us. Like Romans bad habit of impatience when ledge grabbing - He will often try to dair me right away - which I can react to and punsh. That is something he had an issue with before, and corrected, but in his absense from smash has developed into a bad habit again, and last week I punished him several times for that.

I know I for one have been hesitant to accept good feedback, and I'm all about changing that now. It's best to listen and not push back, because a lot of times it's easier for the person you're playing to see your bad habits than it is for you to see them yourself. And it's important for us to help each other duplicate success by pointing out things that making winning hard. It's not about beating each other, it's about getting better so we can beat other people.

You guys with me on this?

Zantetsu

Smash Master
My reason for switching so much is because I don't know who I want to play yet. I'll do my best to decide tomorrow. Fox is cool and all, but I'd rather go with somebody I enjoy more. I've got somebody in mind, so I'll likely play that character most tomorrow..

Yeah, I know my dair problem. I don't know how you thought I fixed it though. It has never been fixed. A different character will fix this though. I only do it with Fox.

Criticism is good. Who cares if you think the critic is wrong. Take what you can from the advice and at least try it if you disagree. Knowledge is power.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I think you should play other characters, but you should always have Fox in the back of your mind. Playing other characters definitely expands your horizons. I think maybe you should try alternating between fox and other characters. One match go Fox. The next match, go Falcon. You'll find pretty soon that you're being MUCH more innovative and predictable. I try to do this when I can, but Falco is awful fun.

While having fun should be a priority, I think we should also take into account that part of fun is winning. Actually, I think that winning is so fun, that I don't think any other part of the game even compares.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Winning is definitely fun.

When I switch around characters, I like to do at least a bo3 or bo5 before switching. One match is really hard to tell with a character. If you're trying to decide, using the same char for at least a set or two can really help you adjust as you play. Otherwise, I think the whole "warm up" period is greatly extended. Last week I never really felt like you were completely warmed up, even though you were playing well. Maybe I'm just over hyped for the fact that once you decide on a character and get that character down, you'll skyrocket passed me in skill.

I think the new focus of our crew is awesome. Can't wait to start going to tournaments again!

EDIT: Anybody wanna record tomorrow? I can bring my laptop and dazzle.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Yeah, Fox will always be my backup. It's very likely that I will never drop him. The problem I have with dropping him is that I know he's my best. However, since we are going to be practicing a lot this summer and we won't be going to tournaments for a good while, I have a lot of time to practice with my new character to make him surpass my fox abilities. I will just have to watch a lot of matches to catch up with the new metagame. I feel like I play old school as **** since I haven't watched matches religiously since like, 2008 or 2009.

I do not have splitters or a TV with output ports, so unless we can get a TV that does have output ports or get our hands on some splitters, recording will not be possible. That being said, if we can find a way to record, we should. That way, we can observe this week's matches next week, and keep doing that as a training ritual.

Oh, and haha. I have 420
posts.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Yeah, Fox will always be my backup. It's very likely that I will never drop him. The problem I have with dropping him is that I know he's my best. However, since we are going to be practicing a lot this summer and we won't be going to tournaments for a good while, I have a lot of time to practice with my new character to make him surpass my fox abilities. I will just have to watch a lot of matches to catch up with the new metagame. I feel like I play old school as **** since I haven't watched matches religiously since like, 2008 or 2009.

I do not have splitters or a TV with output ports, so unless we can get a TV that does have output ports or get our hands on some splitters, recording will not be possible. That being said, if we can find a way to record, we should. That way, we can observe this week's matches next week, and keep doing that as a training ritual.

Oh, and haha. I have 420
posts.
I have a brand new set of splitters that haven't even really been used.

Who is this mystery character?

Zantetsu

Smash Master
The mystery character will be revealed at the smashfest. Nobody shall know who I am going to play. I would like it to be a surprise for the next time we go to a tournament. Also, remember guys. I will need set ups. Bring everything you can. It's better to overstock than to understock. Also, lets discuss food. Should we get Pizza again or go out to eat? Eating time is a good time for discussions.

I like that we're nearly back to what we used to be already.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
That's awesome how ya'll are trying to get good again. I'm not gonna point any fingers, but if a certain someone named Arby would ever get off of LoL we might play again.

...yeah it's Arby's fault almost unconditionally to be true. Because VTS and my tie is almost solely reliant on Arby. And he never answers his phone, and when we do come over he sits on his computer and plays LoL. Arkansas is kinda in the pits right now.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I don't mind eating out, but if we do I'd want to play from 12-5 and THEN go eat. That way we're not using smash time to eat lol.

G. Vice, I'm saddened to hear that. Arby is one of my favorite smashers, so hopefully he snaps out of that and gets back in to Melee.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
So guys. Street Fighter X Tekken has their new 12 character DLC being released tomorrow (technically today). Smashfest canceled because I will be playing that all day.

Just kidding, that game isn't worth my time

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Haha you trolled me pretty good. I thought you were serious for a minute there.

I'm bringing a cube and a recording setup. I might stop by the Salvation Army and buy one of those $10 TVs.

:phone:

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
**** League of Legends.
Hi Terrence
Roman, dat game is bad because Yoshimitsu is bad.
I'll eat with you guys if I get PEEEEYYYDD before 12. I dunno if that will happen though. I mowed my neighbors yard, and she will choose when to pay me. Actually, lemme look out the window and see if she is at work.
She is

-Sinister-

Smash Ace
that's awesome how ya'll are trying to get good again. I'm not gonna point any fingers, but if a certain someone named arby would ever get off of lol we might play again.

...yeah it's arby's fault almost unconditionally to be true. Because vts and my tie is almost solely reliant on arby. And he never answers his phone, and when we do come over he sits on his computer and plays lol. Arkansas is kinda in the pits right now.
feel my paaaiiin

G. Vice

Smash Lord
G. Vice is my favorite. :3

Hit me up whenever.
Gimme your number and I will hit you up <3

Lol, I know you meant that for the Missourians. I'm glad I'm your favorite.

Oh, Arby doesn't smash anymore Ziv, so you need to pick an actual smasher from Arkansas. Which includes G.Vice, andddddd oh yeah no one else.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
This is for the crew:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MeleePacWest/videos

And this specifically is for Terral:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooUpHLqKSkc&feature=youtu.be

And for those reading, just an FYI we did a round robin tournament yesterday and these were the final standings:
1) Terral 3-1 (beat me 3-2, lost to Zant 2-3) Overall: 11-5
2) Zivilyn Bane 3-1 (beat Zant 3-0, lost to Terral 2-3) Overall: 11-4
3) Zantetsu 3-1 (beat Terral 3-2, lost to me 0-3) Overall: 9-7
4) Terrence
5) Wretched (dropped out)

I had a slightly better win/loss record than Terral, but he beat me head to head so he got 1st. I wasn't sandbagging and went Marth all 5 games and he was Pikachu the entire tournament. Fear the Terral.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Colbol made a lot of mistakes recovering in that match, among others. While Pikachad is excellent at capitalizing on those mistakes, and very good in general, I think it shows more of Cobol's inexperience with the match-up.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Roman: You should update the first page. Change my characters to just Marth. And fix everybody else's main.

Also you should add the May Pathways results to the recent tournaments list.

-Sinister-

Smash Ace
This is for the crew:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MeleePacWest/videos

And this specifically is for Terral:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooUpHLqKSkc&feature=youtu.be

And for those reading, just an FYI we did a round robin tournament yesterday and these were the final standings:
1) Terral 3-1 (beat me 3-2, lost to Zant 2-3) Overall: 11-5
2) Zivilyn Bane 3-1 (beat Zant 3-0, lost to Terral 2-3) Overall: 11-4
3) Zantetsu 3-1 (beat Terral 3-2, lost to me 0-3) Overall: 9-7
4) Terrence
5) Wretched (dropped out)

I had a slightly better win/loss record than Terral, but he beat me head to head so he got 1st. I wasn't sandbagging and went Marth all 5 games and he was Pikachu the entire tournament. Fear the Terral.
terral been practicin it up?

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I really haven't been practicing for the past couple months. I seem to get better based on how long it's been since I last played.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
When I don't play for a long time, I'm much less technical and I think much more.

I think we all need to take breaks inbetween matches to tell ourselves to stop being technical robots. Double shines don't win games; Mango wins games.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
When I'm Fox I only do double shines when I'm playing really well. Otherwise you can get messed up for it. But I think a huge goal is to play technical AND smart at the same time. It's quite good to be able to outpace your opponent and also outwit them in the same match. That's one of the things I've been working on and it seems to be going well.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
When I don't play for a long time, I'm much less technical and I think much more.

I think we all need to take breaks inbetween matches to tell ourselves to stop being technical robots. Double shines don't win games; Mango wins games.
I've seen Mango double shine super effectively.

In fact, I'm pretty sure he did it in the match where he 4 stocked Taj's marth.

Top Bottom