• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Springfield, MO discussion thread

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Did you just spell lulz with an o? I haven't seen that in years. Sometimes I think you're older than you tell us.
Sorry that I'm not hip to your gangster lingo. I thought only high school kids cared about things like that. Sometimes I think you're younger than you tell us :p

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Sorry that I'm not hip to your gangster lingo. I thought only high school kids cared about things like that. Sometimes I think you're younger than you tell us :p
It's not as much caring as it is noticing. I find it humorous when you use grandpa lingo.

uUUUGGGGHHH i wanna play smash with you guyz.
I live in Springfield now. Me and Michael are off on Tuesday's. I will house you if you ever decide to come down. Would love to play you again.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Ok so, I've been asked now by a few different people why Terrence and I don't hang out or talk anymore. I've mostly chalked it up to being a long story, blah blah, ect. I told somebody I would PM them what happened, but I really feel like PMing is silly because it's really easy to give a one sided account of events that way, and in this particular situation I want as much of the blame or cause or whatever to be placed on me as well, and for my words to be proven truthful, must be public. So if you're interested in knowing, read on. Wretched or Terrence, feel free to share your input as well since you two were both involved to a point as well. There will be no tl;dr, so get over it and read it if you want.

First off, I want it to be known that prior to this issue, I considered Terrence one of my best friends. Not like Roman or Wretched. No offense to you guys, you guys are hella cool and great smashers. But Terrence is more my age, and we share a lot of interests. I've told my wife several times that even if I didn't play smash, I would still be friends with Terrence. Or, had I gone to high school with him, he would've fit well in to the group of people I hung out with. Terrence is simply a really freaking cool dude.

The cause of us not being friends anymore is difficult to put a finger on though. I think a big part of it had to do with smash. I could feel this angst from him when we played, and after we played. It seemed to grow a little more after Wretched and I got in to it that one time about him picking on Nathan. I think a big part of it is because we have completely different views of the game. If you know me well, you know I am competitive to a fault. I simply cannot play the game without trying to win, 100% of the time (well sober, anyways). It has a lot to do with the way I grew up, and how much influence competitive chess has had on me. My old chess coach, probably the best man I've ever met, taught me that sandbagging (or letting people win) was just wrong and did no good for the better player and certainly not for the worse player. It's a philosophy I live by. I CANNOT sandbag. There are times where I don't take the game as serious. There are times when I try for the cool combo rather than the kill. But I am always trying to win. For Terrence, it's a lot different. He is very free spirited. Terrence does what Terrence wants. That's totally cool. When we play smash though, I can tell when he's trying and when he's not. He was at the point where his Shiek would beat my Marth probably 75% of the time when he was trying, but he would only try for a couple of games. It seemed completely to me that he would use Shiek to test himself and see if he could still beat my Marth, and after a couple of games when he realized he could, he would turn it down a few notches. It was really upsetting to me, and it was a very difficult thing to approach him on to find out why. It truthfully seemed like the reason he was doing it was so that he could beat me in a tournament. Maybe I was wrong, but that's how it felt. It's like he knows he can win, but wants me to think I could win. After those couple of matches each time we played, I would win a large majority and most of his play was patient, predictive smash, where he was playing to not lose rather than win. Again, this is from my perspective. The worst part to me is that I don't care about beating him in a tournament. Or Roman. Or Wretched. Ect. We are crew mates. And friends. And we weren't going to be meeting in grand finals with a lot of money on the line any time soon. It's just not something somebody should do. And I truly believe his method of play not only hurt him, but it was hurting me as a player as well. I could no longer test my true skill against a good Shiek player.

This went on for probably two to three months. It kept digging at me and if I tried to ask him why he was sandbagging or not trying, I would get such generic answers like "I'm not going to win anyways", or "I'm just bored of playing you so much." It got to the point where I wanted to try to avoid playing him altogether because of what it was doing to us as friends. It was a really bad time though because Wretched also hates playing me (at the time mostly would quit after a few games), and Roman was finishing up high school and had no time at all to play. Terral was working at wal-mart and had classes, and Nathan was too depressing to want to invite anymore.

Well, we eventually had a very successful May pathways, and just two days later invited the guys to my house to smash and stay the night (Wretched and Terrence). The next day I was playing Terrence and we were doing Falcon dittos. He grabbed me and did nothing. No jabs, no throw, nothing. Ok....technical error? But then he did it again. It was like a slap in the face and I was instantly irate. I was very mad, and I felt I had a reason to be. His excuse for doing it was that "It's not always smart to do the same things over and over." As if there was a legitimate mind game or reason to grab and not throw. It was his complete contempt over me as a player. I was just too mad at that point and wouldn't let it go. I egged it on far too long and then took him home. That was the last time we spoke. I can usually get over things like that pretty easy, just ask Wretched lol. We've had our share of run ins, but I think we're better friends because of it. And maybe it's because Terrrence was such a close friend and that's why I haven't talked to him. One thing that he said though that I just can't forget is when we were arguing about the grab release, he said "If I played this game like you I would NEVER play again." The way he said it, and the millions of insults packed in to one tiny sentence, have hung with me this whole time. It's a deep insult from a close friend.

Anyways, that's what happened from my point of view. Obviously as much my fault as anybody's. My competitiveness and desire to win is just something that people have to accept about me and move on. And if you can't, don't play competitive games with me.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
All I can say is that certain events are easier to get over for one person and not another.

Also, to really be unbiased, you have to tell the whole truth. I don't mean to offend, but a very CLEAR reason that Terrence was angry and left if because for a large span of time, you kept asking him if he was mad, and then you straight up admitted to purposely trying to make Terrence angry.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
All I can say is that certain events are easier to get over for one person and not another.

Also, to really be unbiased, you have to tell the whole truth. I don't mean to offend, but a very CLEAR reason that Terrence was angry and left if because for a large span of time, you kept asking him if he was mad, and then you straight up admitted to purposely trying to make Terrence angry.
Which I said above. "I egged it on far too long and then took him home."

EDIT: But yeah you're totally right. I was a little light on the detail there. That's why I wanted to post this here. It was more than egging and I was definitely trying to make him mad at that point.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I mean, I like to win. I think it's pretty safe to assume everyone does. But there comes a time when you have to play smash because you enjoy it, and when it starts coming between friends maybe it's better if you don't play each other. For example, I feel like there's a certain smasher within our state who's solid by all means, but I don't feel like he's as good a player as myself.

However, everytime we ever play, he makes me look like a fool. I can't win. Since I like this guy and he's my friend, I choose not to smash with him much since I know personally it is frustrating and annoying. I've gotten to the point where I usually play alts against him, and I have better success as well as don't become so frustrated. Put the friendship first, because in the end although it's a game we all love, it is just a game. So maybe ya'll should hash things out, get back on good terms, then just don't play each other.

My two cents :x

Terry

Smash Ace
Hiya guys. Let me explain, from my perspective, the conflicts that happened between my good friend Michael and I.

So, we were having lots of fun playing Melee, and I honestly feel like I was playing better than I had ever played before that night. I'm sure I won more than I lost against Michael, and that is a rarity unless I am Sheik and he is Marth. But there was actually no conflict until the morning time. I just woke up, my hair was a mess, and was invited into a game of Melee. Choosing Captain Falcon, I was ahead 2 stocks. Then proceeded to grab. I don't choose Falcon often and in my head I am unsure of which way to throw the opponent. I take too long and he breaks free. I go for another grab. Success. But this time I choose to hold him, doing nothing, thinking the mindgame will mess with him. It does. But it actually enrages him and he proceeds to win the game. Afterwards, it has such an effect that he is extremely angry and pokes his anger at me. Trying to piss me off, somewhat successful, but mainly only able to disappoint me to no end. I ask myself questions like "Why am I friends with someone like this?" Though, let me ask, if this strategy had such an effect on someone, then how is this not legitimate? Maybe he won, but if someone can be manipulated as such, then it is a powerful tool.

That morning, I was very much trying to innovate. Even if it seems stupid, I will attempt to do almost any option that I have available. I said something about this and Michael argued back something like "How does this help our crew?" Then you should tell me what to do because I don't completely understand.

I was obviously tired that morning. Should I be expected to play at my fullest potential? Just like the reason I may have been winning much more the night before may have been that Michael was tired. I was also playing a character that I hadn't played often, and to not much success until the night before. I need much more time to become as competent with a new character. I have not played this game for nearly as long as Michael. But I learned some things from the last tourney and put them to use. Finally, it is obviously a legitimate strategy getting inside someone's head and saying it isn't, is nonsensical.

That concludes the happenings and my thoughts of that night but I will go over what has been going on between us prior to this as well.

Before then we would play every week, sometimes twice a week, rarely missing a week. I would opt to not play Sheik for months because I was so bored of the character. Sheik really doesn't suit me. Of course, everyone says otherwise, only because I am Asian and ninja-like... But I will do some matches every now and then, because I feel like its my best bet against Marth players. Though, one other reason for ditching Sheik is actually because Michael is really the only relevant Marth I play and when I faced him in tournament, he went Falco. I did play one other good Marth in Rolla and lost but I really felt I easily could have won. Dropping Sheik also lead me to become fairly competent with a few other characters.

Sometimes I would feel that Michael was sandbagging with Marth because he is better than me and it was so easy to win. I very much dislike easy games, so I eventually grow bored and stop trying myself. I don't believe that hours of the same thing over and over helps anyone. If you're not trying to learn from mistakes, then you are just mindlessly playing a game. I am an absurdly competitive person when in the right environment but playing only Michael every week for months and months is not right. Which is definitely another reason I had to start playing non-Sheik. My options were also limited to good characters because Michael would not allow anything else for more than 2-3 games.

My reasoning for initially not speaking to Michael is that he was a crappy friend to me that night. I know he is a good person and we just got on each others bad sides. I have never had any problem with anything he has ever done other than that and didn't really understand what I had done wrong having someone rage at me for double grab-releasing.

Smash creates friendships, but it doesn't have to define them.
I don't have any problems with Michael and the main reason I haven't said anything is because I have lost interest in Smash. I don't mind still being friends with Michael but honestly don't know how anything would change from now. We have barely anything in common other than Smash. So you could almost say that Smash actually does define our friendship.

Sorry for not responding sooner but like I said, I haven't had much interest in playing recently. It likely mainly stemmed from our conflict but I've also acquired a new, more interesting interest. I'm actually not sure I'll make it to Romans. The combination of not knowing whether or not I want to go plus not having an easy way there will likely reason me into not going.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I ask you to play all of the time. You can't say that I haven't made myself available to play any time. I mean, playing just Michael would be bad, but you also play with me, or at least we used to. I have been trying to get better, successfully. Look at how I played Michael the other night.

You can't say that it is boring when I'm just recently becoming a challenge. You can't deny that I haven't had any troubles with angry losses. You know that's in the past. I just don't see why you never play. I have a bike I've offered to come over there, but you never even answer my texts.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Thank you both for helping explain.

The only thing I disagree with Terrence on is him saying we don't share other interested. He is (like myself) a big fan of Starcraft BW, Starcraft 2, Diablo 2, Family/Board games, other video games, and probably other stuff.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Since everybody is putting their inputs in, I suppose I will as well.

It's very disappointing to me that this crew is being so emotional over little things. I can understand how this could be turned into a big thing, but I also know that this could have been solved quickly if one of you two would have contacted each other and acted like nothing happened and just moved on, or at least tried to discuss it much earlier. I don't know the exact words that were exchanged on that day, but I still believe that if this was dropped or discussed a bit earlier, we would have been in a better position. Friendships don't end over such a little thing. If that were true, then this crew wouldn't be together for as long as it has been.

It's also very disappointing that I was constantly nagged about never playing, and once I actually get everything situated and decide to host a smashfest in my own apartment with everybody invited, Terrence decides not to come just because he may have something else to do. It was very annoying to be nagged about not playing all the time and now when I'm ready to start again, there has to be drama. It won't be a Springfield Smashfest without Terrence, who is a major part of this crew, and I believe that if he doesn't show up, then we won't be able to revive this crew as much as we could if he were there. I will not continue if I have to plan smashfests between Michael and Terrence at different times just because two people don't get along. All I'm asking is for everybody who can at least have a chance of making it to give it their all to show up, because if this is going to be like Degrassi, then I'm out. I'm in this crew to play this game with my crewmates and have fun, as well as get better. If we're going to be 90% drama and only 10% gameplay, then I see no reason to continue this game. I was so close to quitting this game when I found out that we weren't going to FC, which was promised. I may not act like I'm so interested in the game, but that's only when I see that there's no reason to continue, and going to big tournaments motivates me like no other. Now that I'm without a car, and nobody in this crew has a car or is willing to drive it far enough for tournaments, then it's surprising that I'm still willing to make this work, so if I'm willing to give this a shot, then everybody else should be willing to as well.

Michael, if Terrence doesn't have a ride, pick him up please. Get this **** done with. Also, if you don't think anybody is trying, then don't complain about it. Ask them if they are taking it seriously and if they say no, then just politely say that you no longer wish to play. If they say yes, then take it as you're doing awesome or they aren't doing so well and keep playing. You can get better without putting in 100% effort, you just won't increase as fast. There's no need to push improvement since you canceled the FC trip for us.
Terrence, sometimes I don't get you. It's hard to tell when you're being serious or if you're trolling. Knowing when to troll and when to be serious is important in communicating, and I believe that if you see someone talking serious to you, then you should be serious back. A lot of times when I speak with you, I can't tell the difference, unless it's over text.
As for me, I ditched smash for a lot of stupid reasons. Mostly to get drunk and things related to that. I've calmed down a lot now that I have responsibilities and I am willing to have sober games with everybody. I understand what I have been doing wrong in this crew, but if there is anything else, I would love to hear it. Everybody should speak truthfully and take into consideration what others have to say without getting mad. Communication is key here.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Roman, you are 100% correct about every thing you said. Even though I've always been the guy that's motivated and organized, you've always been the guy to keep everybody cool. I have no doubts that if you lived in Springfield this whole time, this crew would be drama free. Not that it's your fault or anything that you haven't lived here already, obviously.

If we are having a smashfest on Tuesday, I'm down. Both Terrence and Wretched are on my way to Romans house. It would be stupid and petty of me to not offer rides. So if anybody wants rides, please let me know. And I'm not just offering, I'm asking. It would be amazing if we could at least get our 5 main guys (Me, Roman, Terrence, Wretch, and Terrrrrral). Let's hang out and play some smash and be happy that Roman finally lives in Springfield.

EDIT: And to be completely honest, when I posted my whole long thing about what happened, I hoped it would just clear the air so we can all move passed this. Terrence, if you decide to play on Tuesday, I want to apologize to your face like a man, and I don't expect an apology back. I know I was being a **** that day and I feel bad about it, truthfully. Hopefully we can get over this. And if not, well I would understand but I'll still apologize.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Way too many walls of text for a smash crew thread. just play smash bros until the end of time and everyone will be happy.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Posted this on facebook, but in case nobody sees it:

OK so realignment is coming up at work again (I pick my new schedule tomorrow and the new shifts start 8/19). I'm torn between three different shifts. One is DeMarco - I've been on his team before and he's a great coach. I would have Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays off. Which is great for football, and it's days too. Another is Mieche - Who is my current coach. She is awesome. It's Mon-Fri which is nice to have Saturdays off (for smash) and Sundays off (for football). But it's nights :(. The third is Lou - Whom I've never worked with before but hear good things. Her shift is just like DeMarco's but instead of having Sundays off for football, I'd have Saturdays off for smash. I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!! Somebody give me some advise :(

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Not having Tuesday's off sucks. My 2 choices for teams were Eddie, which has Sunday's and Monday's off, and Kindra (not my girlfriend, but my manager. Yeah, it's annoying), which has Saturday's and Tuesday's off. I lucked out. If you have choices, go for Mieche. It may be nights, but I work nights too. Late night smashing, anybody?

SMASHFEST NEWS FOR TOMORROW!
I do not have a copy of Melee on me. I have only a Wii and 2 TV's. I have a booth that can support a TV, maybe 2. Bring as many things as you can. Remember, it's better to have unused objects rather than being short of objects. Here's what I suggest everybody brings:
  • TV(s)
  • Gamecube(s)
  • Extension Cords
  • Power Strips
  • Controllers
  • Melee copy(s)
We'll be playing from sometime between 11-12 up until 5. I have to have everybody out at 5, as my roomate will be arriving shortly afterwards and I have to pay some bills and go grocery shopping with him since I do not have a car. Bring a few bills, we may do a tournament if everybody is up to it, or we may even buy Pizza or something. I don't have many drinks, so BYOBeverages. Here is my address:
Seminole Apartments - 2156 S. Fairway Ave, Springfield, MO 65804
CALL me (do not text, as I may not be awake) once you are here and I will come outside to guide you guys to my apartment. Excuse the mess, I will probably be cleaning it up as you all arrive.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Loren, Michael, and Drew are the only ones that showed. Where you at, Springfield?

Edit: Terrence showed up. Where you at, Springfield Wretched?

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Definitely a fun smashfest. So glad Romanowski lives in Springfield now. I think we will get a lot better.

Next Tuesday we're on again. Noon to 5pm, so make plans ahead of time guys so we can start training. Beginning August 19th, I'm going to be off Saturdays again. This means we will start traveling for tournaments again.

Top Bottom