• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Springfield, MO discussion thread

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Thread is up. Also, Washington is only roughly as far as Columbia, so it's not all that crazy. Still pretty far for us, though.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Nope.

Would you like to buy me new break pads and fix them for me? That's what I thought! Actually, my friend is driving me up there because another friend is getting Mass Effect. Also, if any Melee player is going to play any traditional 2D fighter, it should be this one. From what I've seen, it's closer to Melee than any other.

For example, players can roll after a knockdown instead of being forced to stand up where they got knocked down. It plays much faster than Street Fighter and it seems that it focuses on hit-confirms and combos more than it does spacing like traditional Street Fighter. It's also not as ridiculous and stupid as UMvC3. /RantAboutGameImSuperHypedFor

I want my smash friends to play more games with me so when Melee dies, we will still game together ;-;
You might be interested in Third Strike or Alpha 2 then. They are basically what you described (Melee-like fighting games). Super Turbo as well.

And keep us/me updated on sfxt. I'm thinking about it :)

Zantetsu

Smash Master
You might be interested in Third Strike or Alpha 2 then. They are basically what you described (Melee-like fighting games). Super Turbo as well.

And keep us/me updated on sfxt. I'm thinking about it :)
I've played Third Strike and a little bit of Alpha. I find them fun, but since I've only played SF4, Marvel, and Melee deeply, I find it hard to play sprite based fighters. I've had SFxT for a couple of days, and it's my favorite fighting game "ever" right now. That could be the effects of it being "new" to me, but I think even after time passes, my opinion will stay.

Warning: you have asked me to keep you updated about a game that I'm playing non-stop, so this post is going to be pretty long, and information may not be 100% accurate, but I won't post any obvious bull ****.

I haven't focused on the gems too much, since it's a pain in the *** and since the FGC doesn't know what they're going to do with them yet, I'd rather focus on more important things like combos and getting to know the characters (more specifically, the Tekken cast).

The combos are very fun. Most people I've talked to believe it's all cancel combos like Marvel and not like Street Fighter where combos are done with more links than cancels, but when you look into it more deeply, a lot of bnb's require you to link moves together, and not cancel them. This way, you can apply more damage and cancel into specials more successfully. For example, if I wanted to connect a heavy move into a heavy special, normally that wouldn't work if you canceled your moves together because it would force out a launcher.. but if you link a move into a heavy move, it doesn't force the launcher and you can do a special. Also, I've noticed that links do more damage.

Along with the combos is the juggle system, which I feel Melee veterans would like. There's a lot of combos that keep your opponent airborne so it doesn't feel like Street Fighter in the sense that you normally link moves together on the ground followed up by some sort of knockdown, and it also isn't like marvel where it's GROUND COMBO -> AIR COMBO -> REPEAT. It resembles Melee to me because a lot of Melee's gameplay is juggling and SFxT makes me feel a bit at home with it.

I never played much Tekken outside of my childhood so the characters are all new to me, and they're great. They all add a fresh flavor to the 2D fighting genre with weird movesets that are much different than the Street Fighter cast. Steve Fox is a good example because on the ground, his punch buttons only do punches and all three kicks are different types of dodges. Kazuya (and I think Jin) has a weird movement called a mist step that is kind of like a wavedash that goes underneath mid/high projectiles. The command is weird because it's forward, neutral, down, down+forward. No buttons pressed or anything, unless you want to cancel the mist step into a move, which seems to be a big part of his gameplay.

I can't really think of anything else to rant about, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

tl;dr: This game is ****ing fantastic

G. Vice

Smash Lord
My room-mate rented the game from Redbox, and I will admit this. It's the ONLY fighting game that I've ever looked at besides melee and said "huh, that actually doesn't look too bad."

Never played it, but might would consider it. I have NO experience when it comes to games like that. At all. I don't think I'd lack tech skill, but it's a foreign concept to me.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
My room-mate rented the game from Redbox, and I will admit this. It's the ONLY fighting game that I've ever looked at besides melee and said "huh, that actually doesn't look too bad."

Never played it, but might would consider it. I have NO experience when it comes to games like that. At all. I don't think I'd lack tech skill, but it's a foreign concept to me.
Yeah, when I first got into traditional 2D fighters, it was very foreign to me as well. Marvel helped me smooth the transition from Melee to Street Fighter IV, but I feel SFxT will be a better transition for Melee players.

BOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRINNNNNNNG

:tired: :tired: :tired:
You make me sad sometimes..

Yeah, see guys??? Not too bad, eh? =)
We have only been to Columbia once, and that was because a friend who no longer plays smash drove us. I don't think anyone can make the trip there, but it would be awesome if you could find a way here. I miss you, Bert :(

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
I've played Third Strike and a little bit of Alpha. I find them fun, but since I've only played SF4, Marvel, and Melee deeply, I find it hard to play sprite based fighters. I've had SFxT for a couple of days, and it's my favorite fighting game "ever" right now. That could be the effects of it being "new" to me, but I think even after time passes, my opinion will stay.

Warning: you have asked me to keep you updated about a game that I'm playing non-stop, so this post is going to be pretty long, and information may not be 100% accurate, but I won't post any obvious bull ****.

I haven't focused on the gems too much, since it's a pain in the *** and since the FGC doesn't know what they're going to do with them yet, I'd rather focus on more important things like combos and getting to know the characters (more specifically, the Tekken cast).

The combos are very fun. Most people I've talked to believe it's all cancel combos like Marvel and not like Street Fighter where combos are done with more links than cancels, but when you look into it more deeply, a lot of bnb's require you to link moves together, and not cancel them. This way, you can apply more damage and cancel into specials more successfully. For example, if I wanted to connect a heavy move into a heavy special, normally that wouldn't work if you canceled your moves together because it would force out a launcher.. but if you link a move into a heavy move, it doesn't force the launcher and you can do a special. Also, I've noticed that links do more damage.

Along with the combos is the juggle system, which I feel Melee veterans would like. There's a lot of combos that keep your opponent airborne so it doesn't feel like Street Fighter in the sense that you normally link moves together on the ground followed up by some sort of knockdown, and it also isn't like marvel where it's GROUND COMBO -> AIR COMBO -> REPEAT. It resembles Melee to me because a lot of Melee's gameplay is juggling and SFxT makes me feel a bit at home with it.

I never played much Tekken outside of my childhood so the characters are all new to me, and they're great. They all add a fresh flavor to the 2D fighting genre with weird movesets that are much different than the Street Fighter cast. Steve Fox is a good example because on the ground, his punch buttons only do punches and all three kicks are different types of dodges. Kazuya (and I think Jin) has a weird movement called a mist step that is kind of like a wavedash that goes underneath mid/high projectiles. The command is weird because it's forward, neutral, down, down+forward. No buttons pressed or anything, unless you want to cancel the mist step into a move, which seems to be a big part of his gameplay.

I can't really think of anything else to rant about, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

tl;dr: This game is ****ing fantastic
The emphasis on juggling definitely seems like a Tekken influence. 3D fighters live and die on their juggles lol. It's an interesting mix all together.

How do you feel about the invincible roll? To me, it seems like it overcomplicates the wakeup game and treats a symptom rather than the problem. I don't think the hard punish/ juggle system IS a problem, but trying to balance it with an almost free escape on knockdown is a little hokey IMO. *This is all spectator impression, so I may be off-base here.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
How do you feel about the invincible roll? To me, it seems like it overcomplicates the wakeup game and treats a symptom rather than the problem. I don't think the hard punish/ juggle system IS a problem, but trying to balance it with an almost free escape on knockdown is a little hokey IMO. *This is all spectator impression, so I may be off-base here.
I feel the exact same, it's very difficult to punish anybody from a roll. Apparently if you predict the roll correctly, then you can punish them on wakeup, but so far I haven't been able to do it. It's quite obvious that the wakeup game took a giant hit, and I kind of wish they would bring it back. I wasn't ever any good at it in Street Fighter, so it's not harming me too much, but I can see it effecting a lot of players.

>Bert<

Smash Ace
Ziv I just saw you in Legacy 3. Why did no one tell me of this???? Not cool.

Springfield keeps losing brownie points.

Y'all better start apologizing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Ziv I just saw you in Legacy 3. Why did no one tell me of this???? Not cool.

Springfield keeps losing brownie points.

Y'all better start apologizing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dude I didn't even know I was in it until recently too lol. I contacted the creator and he will edit it to put better combos in for me. The ones of me vs Kellen and Roman are pretty lame.

:phone:

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Speaking of, Roman, I suggest in the interest of time/setups we have a random 2v2 sfxt side event so it actually happens :D

names go in a "hat" or terral's program and randomly paired up into teams, and we have a tourney!

>Bert<

Smash Ace
Dude I didn't even know I was in it until recently too lol. I contacted the creator and he will edit it to put better combos in for me. The ones of me vs Kellen and Roman are pretty lame.

Lol yea I saw your comment saying that you had no idea you would be put in the video.

But what other better combos are you referring to? Not saying that you don't have any, I just don't know what they are.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Lol yea I saw your comment saying that you had no idea you would be put in the video.

But what other better combos are you referring to? Not saying that you don't have any, I just don't know what they are.
I have a nice one vs Roman involving a walk off counter and spike. I also have a forward b spike against him while he was fire stalling. There are more than that but I'd have to find them.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
So when's the next thing where people are going to get together and play that Smash game? I'm only unavailable on Friday and Sunday until next week.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Ok so our crew has gotten a little out of shape and disorganized since I started working Saturday's. I suggest we all commit to a time of the week that we can all play on somewhat frequently. Lets start by talking about when we are available.
I am open to play either Monday evenings, Tuesday days, Wednesday evenings, any time Thursdays, or Fridays Days. I still have a key to the church or we can play at my house (or somebody else's if you guys want). Let's work this out and get back in shape guys.

Vts

Smash Champion
Give me some housing during summer I'll shape you guys up!

We will go cut down trees with out teeth then make fire with our passion for the game!

To create a force the world has never seen before , all pichu crew !

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Give me some housing during summer I'll shape you guys up!

We will go cut down trees with out teeth then make fire with our passion for the game!

To create a force the world has never seen before , all pichu crew !
Dude if you wanted to stay a few days I'm sure we could work it out. Don't you have a relative that lives here though? It would be awkward to leave you at home with my wife while I was at work....you ladies man you..... :)

Terry

Smash Ace
Nobody wants to play anymore. :< not that anyone else ever did play much anyways. Other than Wretched. I'm still wanting to play anytime though. And Michael, where is that StarCraft2 video?

Also, I like how all we talk about is non-smash games here.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I usually work Fridays. The only days I'm guaranteed off are Saturday, Monday, and Thursday. I could probably play on some Mondays as long as it's planned ahead of time.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Terral, what about Thursdays? We have those days off in common. Does Thursdays work for anybody else? It is the best day by far for me.

Terrence, I'll link the vid when I get off work.

Terry

Smash Ace
I told you the guy would be here Saturday. Then I asked if you wanted to play today. So, I don't understand how you are not smart enough to realize that.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Ziv if you could get us housing at that awesome church basement I would even come down and give everyone some ganon practice. maybe even play my scrubby fox and falcon :)

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
So with the March Pathways being at the end of the month, it seems reasonable to start planning April's tournament before March's. What dates work or don't work for everyone?

Top Bottom