• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spring Man: Springs Into Action - Spring Fans, Let's Fill the Spring Stands

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I've seen videos of Arms and the stages really do look too small and simple for their own good. Give people a little more room to move around in and stuff to jump on and climb. Imagine something like smaller versions of the battle stages from Mario Kart 64. Also, I think the over-the-shoulder perspective turned a lot of people off.

Inkling Man

Smash Apprentice
I've seen videos of Arms and the stages really do look too small and simple for their own good. Give people a little more room to move around in and stuff to jump on and climb. Imagine something like smaller versions of the battle stages from Mario Kart 64. Also, I think the over-the-shoulder perspective turned a lot of people off.
ARMS is a fighting game, not a 3D platformer or a racing game. There's a reason the stages are small and have little to no hazards.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I mean, you're asking why people put the game down. The reason is probably a lack of gimmicks and pizzazz. It's not like Arms is anything close to a traditional fighting game anyway.

Staarih

Smash Master
Don’t think I’ve posted here but since I can’t find the other ARMS thread I was watching, I’ll show my support here. I’d welcome any character from ARMS with open arms (lol) but Spring Man is definitely the poster boy of the series.

And just as I was wondering why ARMS has pretty much fallen off the radar, we get this:

Great to see it show up again. These troubling times are a good time as any to go back to older Switch titles.

Inkling Man

Smash Apprentice
Don’t think I’ve posted here but since I can’t find the other ARMS thread I was watching, I’ll show my support here. I’d welcome any character from ARMS with open arms (lol) but Spring Man is definitely the poster boy of the series.

And just as I was wondering why ARMS has pretty much fallen off the radar, we get this:

Great to see it show up again. These troubling times are a good time as any to go back to older Switch titles.
This is another sign that Nintendo does still care about ARMS. Maybe the upcoming Nintendo Direct will have a teaser trailer for ARMS 2.

zferolie

Smash Hero
THE NEXT FIGHTER IS CONFIRMED FROM ARMS! We don't know who yet that will be revealed in June

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Here's hoping our favorite toothpaste-haired brawler spring-a-lings into the fray come June!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
In honor of the potential promotion of Spring Man, I've decided to concoct a moveset for him.

Unique Mechanic: ARMS: Spring Man can use two attacks simultaneously, due to the nature of his stretchy arms. However, if he pulls this off, he cannot act at all until both arms have reached 3 Bowsers away from him, or when his attacks collide with anything. The attacks that can be involved are his Ground attacks (Jab, Tilts, Smash Attacks), and his tilt-aerials. You cannot use an aerial attack in tandem with a ground attack. Meaning: Side Smash → Up Tilt. Forward Aerial -X-> Up Smash.

Unique Mechanic: Abilities: Spring Man has 2 abilities: the first is to charge his ARMS for added effects by shielding for long enough. Charging ARMS will give his attacks added effects, but if he doesn’t attack for long enough, the charge will go away. Additionally, if he attacks and he doesn’t hit anything, the charge will go away. The second ability is to gain permanent charge to his ARMS if he reaches either 100% or ⅓ of his HP, similarly to Terry and his Desperation Moves.

Jab: Spring Man will throw up to two punches straight towards his opponent.

Side-tilt: Spring Man will throw one arm to perform a curve punch.

Up-tilt: Spring Man will throw one arm to curve an upwards punch.

Down-tilt: Spring Man will throw one arm to cause a punch to glide along the ground before curving back upwards.

Dash attack: Spring Man will slam both his fists into the ground in front of himself.

Grab: Spring Man will reach out with both arms simultaneously as a tether grab. He will punch the opponent in the face up close for his pummel while his other arm is coiled around the opponent.

F-throw: Spring Man will reel back his arms and launch the opponent like a slingshot. Based on Byte and Barq’s throw.

D-throw: Spring Man will whirl his arms and smash his opponent into the ground. Based on Master Mummy’s throw.

B-throw: With a spin, Spring Man will throw his opponent behind himself. Based on Ribbon Girl’s throw.

U-throw: Spring Man will throw a gut punch before uppercutting them. Based on his own throw.

N-air: Spring Man will spin in the air while his arms are outstretched.

F-air: Spring Man will throw one of his arms out in front of himself.

D-air: Spring Man will whip one of his arms downwards before causing it to plummet downwards. The whip itself can spike, but not the outstretching.

B-air: Spring Man will throw one of his arms behind himself.

U-air: Spring Man will whip one of his arms upwards before shooting it upwards.

Side Smash: Spring Man will reel back one of his arms with the Megaton before shooting it forwards. When charged, the Megaton will be the size of King K. Rool and deal more damage.

Up Smash: Spring Man will curl inwards with the Parasol before throwing it upwards. When charged, the Parasol will have a windbox around it and inflict multiple hits of damage and knockback.

Down Smash: Spring Man will take up the Blorb arm and throw it downwards, creating a burst of goo around himself. When charged, the Blorb will cover the opponent’s face with goo and temporarily invert their controls.

Neutral B: ARMS Switch: At the press of the B button, Spring Man can enter a menu where he can swap between one of three different ARMS for both his limbs. You first choose an ARM for the left, then an ARM for the right before he can continue. These three ARMS are as follows:

• Toaster: The ARMS you start with. When charged, they can deal fire damage and knock opponents down.
  • Boomerang: His second ARMS type. These ARMS curve when he attacks with them, going into either the background or the foreground. The Boomerang, when charged, has increased knockback and a windbox from the outside on impact.
  • Tribolt: A multi-hit ARMS type. These fire three smaller projectiles that can be good for sustained damage. The Tribolt, when charged, can stun opponents, increasing combo potential.
Side B: Guardian: Spring Man will hold a shield with tribal markings out in front of himself. If that arm is hit, they will be immediately countered. Spring Man, however, can move while the Guardian is out, and it can inflict electrical damage when charged.

Up B: Barq Spring: Spring Man will bounce off of Barq and jump upwards. Barq can linger for a bit, shooting an ARM of his own before disappearing for a bit.

Down B: Shockwave: Spring Man will enter a stance when this move is used. While holding the B button, his ARMS will flash blue occasionally. When this happens, Spring Man can dodge in the direction of the joystick while releasing a shockwave that deflects all projectiles and stuns all enemies that are attacking.

Final Smash: Rush Attack: Spring Man will attack with a flurry of punches, his arms changing between all known ARMS types from his game. He will finish with Hedlok attaching to Spring Man’s head and firing a large blast from his mouth.

In short, Spring Man is a long-distance fighter who values advantageous positioning to make use of his unique combo structure. His ability to use two separate attacks simultaneously can add to immense mind games, and due to the nature of his stretchy limbs, he has a tether recovery for almost every attack he uses. Additionally, his ability to charge his ARMS can further add to offensive gameplay. However, he’s not exactly fast, and his attacks can be easily avoided due to how slow they are, much like in ARMS. Also, his only means of defense with his Down B requires tight timing to pull off very well, making it not as reliable as the rest of his moves.

It might be a little too complex, but hey, I tried to replicate the spirit of ARMS here, right? (I also posted this in the general ARMS character thread)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

Will Spring Man make the jump form Assist to Playable or will a non-main character be the rep for a change?

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
In honor of the potential promotion of Spring Man, I've decided to concoct a moveset for him.

Unique Mechanic: ARMS: Spring Man can use two attacks simultaneously, due to the nature of his stretchy arms. However, if he pulls this off, he cannot act at all until both arms have reached 3 Bowsers away from him, or when his attacks collide with anything. The attacks that can be involved are his Ground attacks (Jab, Tilts, Smash Attacks), and his tilt-aerials. You cannot use an aerial attack in tandem with a ground attack. Meaning: Side Smash → Up Tilt. Forward Aerial -X-> Up Smash.

Unique Mechanic: Abilities: Spring Man has 2 abilities: the first is to charge his ARMS for added effects by shielding for long enough. Charging ARMS will give his attacks added effects, but if he doesn’t attack for long enough, the charge will go away. Additionally, if he attacks and he doesn’t hit anything, the charge will go away. The second ability is to gain permanent charge to his ARMS if he reaches either 100% or ⅓ of his HP, similarly to Terry and his Desperation Moves.

Jab: Spring Man will throw up to two punches straight towards his opponent.

Side-tilt: Spring Man will throw one arm to perform a curve punch.

Up-tilt: Spring Man will throw one arm to curve an upwards punch.

Down-tilt: Spring Man will throw one arm to cause a punch to glide along the ground before curving back upwards.

Dash attack: Spring Man will slam both his fists into the ground in front of himself.

Grab: Spring Man will reach out with both arms simultaneously as a tether grab. He will punch the opponent in the face up close for his pummel while his other arm is coiled around the opponent.

F-throw: Spring Man will reel back his arms and launch the opponent like a slingshot. Based on Byte and Barq’s throw.

D-throw: Spring Man will whirl his arms and smash his opponent into the ground. Based on Master Mummy’s throw.

B-throw: With a spin, Spring Man will throw his opponent behind himself. Based on Ribbon Girl’s throw.

U-throw: Spring Man will throw a gut punch before uppercutting them. Based on his own throw.

N-air: Spring Man will spin in the air while his arms are outstretched.

F-air: Spring Man will throw one of his arms out in front of himself.

D-air: Spring Man will whip one of his arms downwards before causing it to plummet downwards. The whip itself can spike, but not the outstretching.

B-air: Spring Man will throw one of his arms behind himself.

U-air: Spring Man will whip one of his arms upwards before shooting it upwards.

Side Smash: Spring Man will reel back one of his arms with the Megaton before shooting it forwards. When charged, the Megaton will be the size of King K. Rool and deal more damage.

Up Smash: Spring Man will curl inwards with the Parasol before throwing it upwards. When charged, the Parasol will have a windbox around it and inflict multiple hits of damage and knockback.

Down Smash: Spring Man will take up the Blorb arm and throw it downwards, creating a burst of goo around himself. When charged, the Blorb will cover the opponent’s face with goo and temporarily invert their controls.

Neutral B: ARMS Switch: At the press of the B button, Spring Man can enter a menu where he can swap between one of three different ARMS for both his limbs. You first choose an ARM for the left, then an ARM for the right before he can continue. These three ARMS are as follows:

• Toaster: The ARMS you start with. When charged, they can deal fire damage and knock opponents down.
  • Boomerang: His second ARMS type. These ARMS curve when he attacks with them, going into either the background or the foreground. The Boomerang, when charged, has increased knockback and a windbox from the outside on impact.
  • Tribolt: A multi-hit ARMS type. These fire three smaller projectiles that can be good for sustained damage. The Tribolt, when charged, can stun opponents, increasing combo potential.
Side B: Guardian: Spring Man will hold a shield with tribal markings out in front of himself. If that arm is hit, they will be immediately countered. Spring Man, however, can move while the Guardian is out, and it can inflict electrical damage when charged.

Up B: Barq Spring: Spring Man will bounce off of Barq and jump upwards. Barq can linger for a bit, shooting an ARM of his own before disappearing for a bit.

Down B: Shockwave: Spring Man will enter a stance when this move is used. While holding the B button, his ARMS will flash blue occasionally. When this happens, Spring Man can dodge in the direction of the joystick while releasing a shockwave that deflects all projectiles and stuns all enemies that are attacking.

Final Smash: Rush Attack: Spring Man will attack with a flurry of punches, his arms changing between all known ARMS types from his game. He will finish with Hedlok attaching to Spring Man’s head and firing a large blast from his mouth.

In short, Spring Man is a long-distance fighter who values advantageous positioning to make use of his unique combo structure. His ability to use two separate attacks simultaneously can add to immense mind games, and due to the nature of his stretchy limbs, he has a tether recovery for almost every attack he uses. Additionally, his ability to charge his ARMS can further add to offensive gameplay. However, he’s not exactly fast, and his attacks can be easily avoided due to how slow they are, much like in ARMS. Also, his only means of defense with his Down B requires tight timing to pull off very well, making it not as reliable as the rest of his moves.

It might be a little too complex, but hey, I tried to replicate the spirit of ARMS here, right? (I also posted this in the general ARMS character thread)
I would prefer that he recovers just by using his arms. You would be able to aim it to go in the appropriate direction if necessary. Aim it downwards and you bounce on the ground. It's loosely based on his victory animations.
Also yes, I support the Bouncer.

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
If it happens to be Spring Man. Once updated Springtron should take his place as an assist trophy.
Like said, I would just think they could add Springtron or a different assist to be there first. So the replacement theory is kinda illogical in my opinion.

What really matters is why Nintendo wasted time and budget to do the model and deal with the systemic issue if they could had just directly do what they want since the beginning.

Regarding to the topic, the part I care about the most is if Spring Man isn't the next fighter, so what is his chance for Smash 6? Would Nintendo just keep the current fighter for Smash 6 as the ARMS rep, or replace with Spring Man? Or make both in?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Looks like Dark Horse still has a reason to continue making their tie-in comic, huh.

That being said, did ARMS ever establish an official main protagonist/mascot? Springtron is based on Spring Man, yes, but other fighters have won in-game competitions, including Min Min, and there's quite a few mascots, so it's a bit muddled in that area and allows elbow room, methinks.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

Will Spring Man make the jump form Assist to Playable or will a non-main character be the rep for a change?
No clue, but one thing for sure is that the wait will be long. This is the most fun I've had in a long time for this speculation period.

kCxWGSH.gif

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
It feels like everyone hates Spring Man. That's super disheartening, he was my favorite character in the game.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It feels like everyone hates Spring Man. That's super disheartening, he was my favorite character in the game.
It's the nature of things with fighting games. The main character is designed to be simple and straightforward which some people take as boring. Look at the hate Ryu and Terry got.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's the nature of things with fighting games. The main character is designed to be simple and straightforward which some people take as boring. Look at the hate Ryu and Terry got.
True, but people treat Spring Man like he's super hated among ARMS fans which simply isn't true. He's one of the most played characters and really far from being the most controversial character in the game.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
True, but people treat Spring Man like he's super hated among ARMS fans which simply isn't true. He's one of the most played characters and really far from being the most controversial character in the game.
That is also the nature, the nature of Smash speculation. A Smash roster slot is like the Apple of Discord between fandoms. Anyone who looks like they may come out ahead, is the enemy.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You can never win with these people. Hurray, your character gets in, but at least 10 others get left aside until further notice, if ever, and coping with that is impossible for them.

At the end of the day, there just isn't enough room for everybody in one period. You just have to be grateful for those who do make the cut.

Besides, there are also those who just hate that ARMS gets anyone period, never mind Spring Man.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Just passing by to offer my congrats and my apologies for the wrong treatment you guys have received from other supporters for other characters like Geno.

An Arms character deserves the spot, and if it was a character that belongs to a series that hasn't done as well as Splatoon (debatable to some but bear with me) but honestly, it should right up there with it. Now the Inklings won't be as lonely as the new 1st party property.

I would expect Springman to be the character to join but the possibility is endless with the other characters showing on that screen. Min-Min, Ribbon Girl, Dr. Coyle, Ninjara, etc. I root for all, but if it had to be just one, then Springman is my choice. (Although any choice is fine, at the end of the day).

So, congrats for Arms being represented in Smash Ultimate as a playable character and for the series getting a second chance.

:bowser:.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Just passing by to offer my congrats and my apologies for the wrong treatment you guys have received from other supporters for other characters like Geno.

An Arms character deserves the spot, and if it was a character that belongs to a series that hasn't done as well as Splatoon (debatable to some but bear with me) but honestly, it should right up there with it. Now the Inklings won't be as lonely as the new 1st party property.

I would expect Springman to be the character to join but the possibility is endless with the other characters showing on that screen. Min-Min, Ribbon Girl, Dr. Coyle, Ninjara, etc. I root for all, but if it had to be just one, then Springman is my choice. (Although any choice is fine, at the end of the day).

So, congrats for Arms being represented in Smash Ultimate as a playable character and for the series getting a second chance.

:bowser:.
I still don't know what's all that about other fanbases bashing us - thankfully I haven't had to deal with that - but thank you! I agree that ARMS really deserved the representation, so it's great to see all the discussion about it. Here's to a sequel, and more to come after that.

Inkling Man

Smash Apprentice
Spring Man already has a model in the game so if he was playable he could use that model. Making a new model would take more time.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Spring Man already has a model in the game so if he was playable he could use that model. Making a new model would take more time.
They're gonna spend that time making a new model anyway because it's not up to par with fighter models.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Hello, everyone. Just came to say that I've been a Spring Man for Smash supporter since the day ARMS was revealed back in January 2017. Hopefully come June(?) we'll break out of our glass dome and bounce straight into the roster! Please add me to the support list!

Edit: Can't double post, but Monday's the day! Let's hope our Main Character can pull out the W!

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well let's see what tomorrow brings. Good luck.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Less than 15 Minutes. Good luck to Spring Man and all Spring Fans! Let's walk out of this with our ARMS raised in victory!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm sorry that Spring Man got Chrom-d but let's hope he gets his chance another day.

Staarih

Smash Master
A shame our boy didn't make it, but at least he's still in as an AT and was probably the first one in mind when adding ARMS content to Smash in general, with the AT and Mii costume from the get-go. Maybe he'll have his shot next game. Min Min was pretty much Yabuki's wish anyway, so I'll let her slide haha. And I kinda like the "everyone is a protagonist!" mentality they have about ARMS characters.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Coming in to give my condolences for Spring Man. He really is the main character of the franchise, and Nintendo really dug themselves into a hole by making him an assist trophy. Let's hope this reveal doesn't lead to any mean-spirited fan art...

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
.... We wanted ARMS since the very beginning ... and THIS is the thank you we get!?

Coming in to give my condolences for Spring Man. He really is the main character of the franchise, and Nintendo really dug themselves into a hole by making him an assist trophy. Let's hope this reveal doesn't lead to any mean-spirited fan art...
Not gonna happen. We've already got mean spirited OFFICIAL ART.

Attachments

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
.... We wanted ARMS since the very beginning ... and THIS is the thank you we get!?

Not gonna happen. We've already got mean spirited OFFICIAL ART.

I get that they're celebrating Min-Min, but having Spring Man be outside and miserable was unnecessary and VERY feel-bad! He's really having a bad day ><

They should've at least had him enjoying himself next to Mario!

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Now's the time when support has to become the strongest. Only chance Spring Man has to get into Smash is the fans. We gotta rise to that challenge.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Now's the time when support has to become the strongest. Only chance Spring Man has to get into Smash is the fans. We gotta rise to that challenge.
I don't know. Outside of this thread, I've only heard of 1 person still supporting the guy (it's me.) I think we just joined Shantae, Bandana Dee and Waluigi in "Less Likely than Goku" town.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't know. Outside of this thread, I've only heard of 1 person still supporting the guy (it's me.) I think we just joined Shantae, Bandana Dee and Waluigi in "Less Likely than Goku" town.
Wouldn't call any character with a fanbase as huge as those less likely than Goku. Honestly, if Spring Man gets to those levels of support (and I think he could!) I'd feel much more at ease about potential inclusions.

Top Bottom