• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
>there are people out there that only pick certain characters so they can feel like a special snowflake
I may use Rosalina, but even I know that she has her set of flaws that can be taken advantage of by others. And yet, there are people out there who complain about her being too powerful when that's not even true to begin with.

D

Deleted member

Y'know, playing Mewtwo the past few months has made me realize this is the character I really wished :4dedede:was when I mained him for more than a year. Not saying Dedede is similar to Mewtwo at all, but it doesn't feel like I'm so shackled down by him like I was with Dedede.
  • Great projectile
  • Threatening aerial game
  • A recovery with ways to mix it up
  • Good KO moves, decent frame data overall
  • Command grab that's useful as a mixup
this post is really dumb but I wanted to ramble about it somewhere lmao

Last edited by a moderator:

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
What we need is Micheal Cole to commentate on smash matches.

"VINTAGE MEWTWO"
"MEWTWO LANDED THE CONFUSION!"(Mewtwo actually hit with disable)
"Mewtwo's using a modified submission maneuver before the up throw!"
"Mewtwo's going on a controlled frenzy in the air!"
"Forward air to the skull of Zero Suit Samus!"
"We're gonna have a new champion-Oh no she DI'd out at 2!"

Last edited:
3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
Y'know, playing Mewtwo the past few months has made me realize this is the character I really wished :4dedede:was when I mained him for more than a year. Not saying Dedede is similar to Mewtwo at all, but it doesn't feel like I'm so shackled down by him like I was with Dedede.
  • Great projectile
  • Threatening aerial game
  • A recovery with ways to mix it up
  • Good KO moves, decent frame data overall
  • Command grab that's useful as a mixup
this post is really dumb but I wanted to ramble about it somewhere lmao
No thought is dumb here so don't call it that

Igzex Igzex lol

Edit: KillerJawz KillerJawz whats your next video going to be focus on

Last edited:
3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
undecided yet. thinking about an anti mewtwo rundown as i've gotten asked about fighting mewtwo a lot, but i also wanna continue the trainer tips series.
Trainer tips first please those people can wait I've been eagerly waiting for part 2 if it gets skipped for a anti mewtwo guide I might jump off cliff

Trainer tips first please those people can wait I've been eagerly waiting for part 2 if it gets skipped for a anti mewtwo guide I might jump off cliff
part 2's already out lol i assume you mean part 3.

i'll more than likely go for that, but i have a few other ideas but another video should be up within two weeks or so.

It's perfectly fine to feel that way. That your 'unique' character becomes the next Shiek or Fox and now everybody is playing them. I felt that way when somebody here started picking up Mewtwo as he went higher on the tier list. He is 'play-to-win' he doesn't actually care about dedicating himself to a character. If he did he wouldn't be 'maining' Baynonetta for easy wins right now. It does irk me that he uses Mewtwo a little now, considering I was pretty much the only Mewtwo main here (really dedicated) but it's bound to happen when Mewtwo gets more recognition. How much he cares about playing Mewtwo is another thing. I am perfectly fine with Mewtwo at mid tier because if he was top or high, then he'd be spammed like Shiek and Diddy and wouldn't be unique.

Yes, I get it's an absolute **** way to feel when your character... that you saw the light of day in and nobody else cared about... or called trash or bottom tier... or the worst in the game... and ridiculed and mocked you for it suddenly changes their mind after seeing a person play one match or win a tournament and suddenly everybody is flocking to play them thinking they'll win. It makes me rage as well. I know people play Mewtwo because they don't care about him, they just want to win, just like the guy I mentioned before. Yeah, that's lame. I don't really want to see a flock of Mewtwo's out there with the players intentions being only a cheap win either. Mewtwo takes strong dedication. He's not like Bayonetta where you pay 5.99 to win.
My situation exactly. I expressed long ago that I refuse to pick a mainstream character, because everyone expects it. I want to surprise my opponent. That's why at KTAR I played :4palutena:. I don't say this much, but at the start of the game I played :4ness:, then found out he was everywhere and everyone knew the matchup, so I dropped him for :4greninja:.

By the way, :4mewtwo: is far from a cheap win. These players don't know that Abadango got that far because he had skill, not because he used a "top tier". Take Glitch for example, where there were two Duck Hunt players in top 10.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The only thing that irritates me about these bandwagoners is that some of them think he was trash tier until that one last speed buff somehow magically changed everything. I really dislike all the Mewtwo misconceptions that have floating around since he came out, and it annoys me that some people still think they were all true.

"He has no combos and a worthless projectile"
"It's impossible to live past 80%"
"He's a giant Jigglypuff without a good air game"

I've actually heard people make all of those claims.
And I'd love Charizard's air speed to get an improvement. While you're at it, why not increase his ground speed a tad bit as well? A little bit slower than Mewtwo, maybe? Sometimes I feel he's kind of slow... Or is it just me?
I don't know where Charizard's ground speed is at after all these DLC characters and patches and such, but last I checked he was the 8th fastest in the game. He's definitely fast, he probably just looks slow to you because he's so huge.

His air speed was awful before, but it actually did get buffed in the last patch and the change is definitely noticeable. I wouldn't object to getting another one, though.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Charizard is actually a little bit slower than Mewtwo. Mewtwo's maximum speed value is 2.05, and Charizard's is 2.0

:150:

Igzex

Of course the biggest problems I have with those claims is that they all refer to Mewtwo as a "he".

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Of course the biggest problems I have with those claims is that they all refer to Mewtwo as a "he".
I do because I like to think of his 1st anime incarnation... It just makes, err, " him" feel the most badass and more reminiscent of my childhood.

Also "he" has one of the best quotes in a video game based product ever:

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are"

Right next to another one of my favorite video games quotes... "My memories will be part of the sky..." The feels if you get the context behind that one.

Can anyone guess who said that one without Google?

FlameEmperor

Smash Cadet
NNID
FlameEmperor
I do because I like to think of his 1st anime incarnation... It just makes, err, " him" feel the most badass and more reminiscent of my childhood.

Also "he" has one of the best quotes in a video game based product ever:

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are"

Right next to another one of my favorite video games quotes... "My memories will be part of the sky..." The feels if you get the context behind that one.

Can anyone guess who said that one without Google?
I agree, when I think of Mewtwo I think of the confused genocidal failed fetus cat clone with the wavy voice with no frens that put down the Ketchum boy in that one movie I watched and worshiped as a child.

I don't think of the other confused Mewtwo (also with an erotic voice) that has its tail on the wrong end who saves people from a bug terminator.

And I really don't think of the one in Origins because that one doesn't even talk.

As for my guess on your quote.. it kinda reminds me of something an anime character might say so I'm going to go with the blond child whose life partner is Goofy from Kingdom of Hearts.

Last edited:

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I agree, when I think of Mewtwo I think of the confused genocidal failed fetus cat clone with the wavy voice with no frens that put down the Ketchum boy in that one movie I watched and worshiped as a child.

I don't think of the other confused Mewtwo (also with an erotic voice) that has its tail on the wrong end who saves people from a bug terminator.

And I really don't think of the one in Origins because that one doesn't even talk.

As for my guess on your quote.. it kinda reminds me of something an anime character might say so I'm going to go with the blond child whose life partner is Goofy from Kingdom of Hearts.
Close, but the quote is from a sistering series of the one you just mentioned, aka made by the same people who make KH.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Mewtwo is also a genderless species in the RPG titles. Oddly, Meloetta definitely looked like a female-only species, but it's a genderless species itself. And then we have Heatran, who's the only legendary who can be male "or" female; all the other gendered legendaries have set genders.

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
Mewtwo is also a genderless species in the RPG titles. Oddly, Meloetta definitely looked like a female-only species, but it's a genderless species itself. And then we have Heatran, who's the only legendary who can be male "or" female; all the other gendered legendaries have set genders.
I think that's just so you can't mate to get more

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Pretty sure there's an egg group specifically for Pokemon that can't mate. Includes legendaries and baby Pokemon along with randomly...Nidorina and Nidoqueen I believe? The inclusion of a gender merely makes you vulnerable to gender based moves such as Attract.

As for Mewtwo, I refer to it as a he given the first movie and the masculine voice it has.

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
It's a bit hard to see this Mewtwo as Femtwo when he has a deep masculine voice and even speaks in the winning screen. I think they just gave him the Y form for his final smash because that was the most significant thing about the Genesect Movie and also the release of Mega Evolutions.

Mewtwo's are technically genderless, but I see them as he and she, considering Mewtwo was constantly referred to as 'he' in Pokken by Anne and Giovanni says to Mewtwo in Mewtwo Returns 'That's a good boy.'

I say Mewtwo's due to being both the male and female!

Last edited:
3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
It's a bit hard to see this Mewtwo as Femtwo when he has a deep masculine voice and even speaks in the winning screen. I think they just gave him the Y form for his final smash because that was the most significant thing about the Genesect Movie and also the release of Mega Evolutions.

Mewtwo's are technically genderless, but I see them as he and she, considering Mewtwo was constantly referred to as 'he' in Pokken by Anne and Giovanni says to Mewtwo in Mewtwo Returns 'That's a good boy.'

I say Mewtwo's due to being both the male and female!
Let these words be heard

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Genderless Pokemon can breed with a Ditto, "unless" they're in the Undiscovered egg group. It's still a huge mystery why Nidorina and Nidoqueen can't breed at all though.
Probably because they messed up in Gold and Silver and wanted to stay consistent as to not confuse people.

Quantumpen

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand the negative feelings towards more players having interest in Mewtwo. Mewtwo is not easy to use and most of them will be gone in a month anyway after they die to Cloud forward smash at 65%. You're not gonna see mediocre players running around confirming nair into footstool disable, mixing people up/punishing safely with SHAD fair/nair, correctly using shadow ball for mobility/frame traps and immaculately spacing d-tilts and fairs to make people afraid to approach. They'll go agro and then get wrecked and then complain about Mewtwo's weight.

However there will be some people who pick him up who have those skills, and that can only be good for his Meta. If VoiD ends up maining Mewtwo that would make my day =p

Last edited:

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
I don't understand the negative feelings towards more players having interest in Mewtwo. Mewtwo is not easy to use and most of them will be gone in a month anyway after they die to Cloud forward smash at 65%. You're not gonna see mediocre players running around confirming nair into footstool disable, mixing people up/punishing safely with SHAD fair/nair, correctly using shadow ball for mobility/frame traps and immacuately spacing d-tilts and fairs to make people afraid to approach. They'll go agro and then get wrecked and then complain about Mewtwo's weight.

However there will be some people who pick him up who have those skills, and that can only be good for his Meta. If VoiD ends up maining Mewtwo that would make my day =p
This is by far the best post I've seen all night. Two thumbs up. You hit the nail on the head, exactly.

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
I've always found it fun making tier lists. It's not like they're all that serious since the Backroom one is only one that matters around here.

I think the aforementioned idea of a regional preference analysis is more important that a tier list in a game that's about 85% balanced. Smash 4 has so many characters that have proven themselves viable. The only ones that haven't yet are the 1.1.5 buffees, Jigglypuff and Palutena. King Dedede is almost there. Especially on the East Coast, where he's easily mid tier by success rate.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think the aforementioned idea of a regional preference analysis is more important that a tier list in a game that's about 85% balanced. Smash 4 has so many characters that have proven themselves viable. The only ones that haven't yet are the 1.1.5 buffees, Jigglypuff and Palutena. King Dedede is almost there. Especially on the East Coast, where he's easily mid tier by success rate.
If you're gonna count Dedede then you should probably count Palutena too, I hear she has decent results with TLTC, Prince Ramen, etc

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
Everyone should stop trying to make a tier list. The game is 100% balanced in probably one more patch. Two maybe, but nobody can be sure.
My reasoning for the idea of a tier list is part of my belief that no more patches will come unless some bug makes the game unplayable or something and the fact that characters like Jiggs that have needed buffs since day one have not gotten them after a whole year has passed.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
And then we have Dedede, who needs buffs, and yet his bad air speed got nerfed even further. Nerfing someone who is already at a poor position in the competitive standpoint is just adding insult to injury.

Igzex

Everyone should stop trying to make a tier list. The game is 100% balanced in probably one more patch. Two maybe, but nobody can be sure.
100% balance in a game with unlike characters is impossible. Tiers will exist. We shouldn't be so vigilant about it yet though because tiering this game right now with a line up this vast that's constantly being tweaked by the developers is like trying to count potatos in a room where the walls are constantly flashing random colors.

Guys, I think I found my slow :4mewtwo:...
I'm labbing :4zelda:, and her combos are really similar to Mewtwo without the extreme movement speed. As a plus, her air speed is really good, around where prepatch Mewtwo's was. She also has a reflector (Nayru's Love) and a chargeable projectile finisher (Phantom Slash). It'll take some time, but I think I'm set.

And then I can use Mewtwo as a speed alternative. I like this plan, but I'm not finalizing it.

FlameEmperor

Smash Cadet
NNID
FlameEmperor
Guys, I think I found my slow :4mewtwo:...
I'm labbing :4zelda:, and her combos are really similar to Mewtwo without the extreme movement speed. As a plus, her air speed is really good, around where prepatch Mewtwo's was. She also has a reflector (Nayru's Love) and a chargeable projectile finisher (Phantom Slash). It'll take some time, but I think I'm set.

And then I can use Mewtwo as a speed alternative. I like this plan, but I'm not finalizing it.
I see what's going on..you've picked her over us.

Senpai..I'm hurt..

What makes her so intriguing to you? Is it because she has hair and we don't? Do you think we're ugly because she knows she is a grill and we don't? Perhaps it's her hitbox after teleport.. Or is it because you never loved us in the first place..

Last edited:

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
If the game was 100% balanced, there would only be one playable character. There will always be a optimal playstyle in fighting game that will take precedence and get more metagame evolution. Then, tiers will be formed and the ones not fitting the preferred achetype will be lower, simple as that.

Speed might be the greatest factor in smash games (both attack speed and mobility) and the tier list may be based around that.

You could also argue combo ability is the most important. Take Bayo for example.

Raw Kill power probably comes in at 3rd.

Survivability at a 4th (otherwise Falcon wand Cloud would be low due to their horrid recoveries)

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I just hope you guys all remember tiers aren't static.

Even if, theoretically, a game was 100% perfectly balanced(which isn't possible, btw), there are still other factors that can contribute to tier list. Namely, how developed their metagame. A character could have a ton of potential, but a skilled player has to take the time to notice and unlock it. If you think your main isn't at the spot on the tier list it deserves to be, then focus on getting better so you can show other player that they don't suck. Of course, I'm a pretty mediocre player myself, so it's not like I'll be making any changes in Mewtwo's or Charizards metagames any time soon, but I can at least say good things about them to hopefully attract new players.

And of course, there's also more then one way to make tier list. Just look at competitive Pokemon, where tier list are based entirely on usage. It's more of a guide to tell you which threats are relevant then to tell you which Pokemon are "good". There's also tier restricted battles to give obscure Pokemon more relevance. Now, I'm not predicting that Smash is going to adopt this policy or that it ever should, but it helps prove extra perspective of what a tier really is. Everyone's view of the character is just as important as the character itself.

Pokemon tier list are also incredibly dynamic. If one Pokemon becomes popular, Pokemon that effectively deal with it will become more popular in return. This is, to a lesser extant, true to Smash as well. A character's match up against the other high tiers is incredibly important. It's not nearly to the same extreme, as swapping a Pokemon team is much easier than swapping a Smash main, but it still happens.

Last edited:

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
I see what's going on..you've picked her over us.

Senpai..I'm hurt..

What makes her so intriguing to you? Is it because she has hair and we don't? Do you think we're ugly because she knows she is a grill and we don't? Perhaps it's her hitbox after teleport.. Or is it because you never loved us in the first place..
I picked up Zelda the other day, just for fun. I had a lot of fun. She is my new DHD. Don't worry Mewtwo... I still prefer to choose you!

Last edited:
Top Bottom