• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Mewtwo was too fast, that's all. Even Greninja was barely handleable. I've developed a neutral-centric style, centered around keeping the opponent in neutral or at a slight disadvantage. It really benefits :4corrin:'s range and forces me not to autopilot.

While I'm at it, I'll make my predictions for the next patch.
:4bayonetta: Nerfed. Vertical range on Witch Twist reduced to about 7/10 of its current height. Hitbox size reduced. Down air ground hit knockback reduced. No other changes needed.
:rosalina: Nerfed. Up air and down air "halos" have decreased KBG and Luma's smash attacks also have decreased KBG.
:4mario: Slightly nerfed. Up air has a similar nerf to Meta Knight, now it does not connect and chain as well. Up tilt base knockback slightly increased, hitstun multiplied. Now it's designed to combo into other moves, not itself.
:4cloud: Nerfed. Up air BKB increased, its KBG decreased. All smash attacks KBG reduced.
:4mewtwo: Slightly nerfed. Ground speed isn't over the top anymore, being about even to Little Mac's.

:4bowserjr: Fix. Hitboxes finally get a full fix.
:4palutena: Buffed. Counter finally receives the fix it deserves. A whole lot of moves have less endlag.
:4falco: Buffed. The speed buff he has needed the whole time.
:4robinm: We already talked about this.
:4jigglypuff: Buffed. A bunch of attacks deal more damage, to make up for her low defense, speed, and range.
:4charizard: Buffed. Horizontal air speed gets a big improvement. Enough to make returning to neutral easy.
:4roy: Buffed. Vertical range on Blazer increased, its knockback growth as well.

It would be really close to balanced.
Mac is the 3rd fastest dasher. M2 is the 7th fastest. Oh Arceus help us if M2 became as fast as Little Mac.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision

"So why would I, a Mewtwo main since day 1, help other players to beat my character?

Basically, I don't like bandwagon players, and I like them less when they think they can use my character."

...i might be missunderstanding RayNoire here, but this comes off as extremeley elitist and pompous.
I don't mind him giving advice on how to beat Mewtwo, but ... "Bandwagon players" playing "his" character? How DARE they develop an interest in a slept on character that won a major event lately, right?

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
"So why would I, a Mewtwo main since day 1, help other players to beat my character?

Basically, I don't like bandwagon players, and I like them less when they think they can use my character."

...i might be missunderstanding RayNoire here, but this comes off as extremeley elitist and pompous.
I don't mind him giving advice on how to beat Mewtwo, but ... "Bandwagon players" playing "his" character? How DARE they develop an interest in a slept on character that won a major event lately, right?
Agreed.

As a day 1 Mewtwo main, I don't mind all the Newtwos. The more the merrier. I am glad that everybody realizes the greatness that is Mewtwo.

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
The light is a warm and comforting thing, vast enough to shine on all. There are some however that want more of the light to themselves...

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
As you praise the sun remember you'll always need devoted chaos servants like me. You don't want the light getting to your head ya' know.

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul

No, you're right, it does come across as very arrogant.

'I hope this was useful, and I wish everyone the best of luck in bodying all the Newtwos'

Straight up seems pretty ****ing petty if you ask me. The whole thing does.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent

'I hope this was useful, and I wish everyone the best of luck in bodying all the Newtwos'

It is. It's the exact opposite reaction to Nairo beating ESAM with Doc all that time ago at MLG. I was SO EXCITED for people to explore an underrated character and people did! And it was awesome.

This is like, the exact opposite despite equal (or rather, even BETTER) circumstances. Mewtwo took the whole event as a solo pick (outside of the Rosa MU which to be fair I'd go MK in too if I was Abadango considering his experience with the character.)

You have all this interest generated in your character and you want to....get rid of it? Why? Unfathomably questionable.

Last edited:

RayNoire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RayNoire
It is. It's the exact opposite reaction to Nairo beating ESAM with Doc all that time ago at MLG. I was SO EXCITED for people to explore an underrated character and people did! And it was awesome.

This is like, the exact opposite despite equal (or rather, even BETTER) circumstances. Mewtwo took the whole event as a solo pick (outside of the Rosa MU which to be fair I'd go MK in too if I was Abadango considering his experience with the character.)

You have all this interest generated in your character and you want to....get rid of it? Why? Unfathomably questionable.
I've never understood the converse, frankly.

Part of the reason I play fighting games is because not everyone is the same. There's a sense of personality in the character you pick. When people just jump on the wagon towards the latest success, that trivializes that concept.

I'll admit that another part of it comes from the fact that I played this character when he was terrible, and they didn't, and I resent that. I feel like they didn't earn the right to call themselves a main of the character. Damn right it's petty. I'm not going to rationalize that. It is what it is.

But I do think it's funny that the only people that have a problem are the Mewtwos. I wonder why.

Oh well. It's not like you guys didn't hate my guts already. No love lost I guess.

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734

This guy can shove it but there's going to be more were that came from lol if people want to pick up mewtwo let them that's like bashing on the new boy at school it's not right

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If Mewtwo's running gets buffed more, up to Zero Suit Samus's running speed would be the limit for it. Any higher than 2.1 and then it starts to become a bit ridiculous.

@The Legendary DJXYZ: Rosalina's d-air really isn't all that powerful without the Luma, and while u-air can be a strong finisher, actually landing the right hitbox is not easy if Rosalina is Lumaless.

As for Palutena's Counter, I will say that for a counter that has a 1.3x multiplier, its knockback is weak when compared to most other counters. Counter can't even 1-hit KO Bowser Jr. whenever it blocks Koopa Meteor, which is something that the other counters (especially Counter Surge) can do more easily.

And when I say 1-hit KO, I mean being able to KO at 0% damage.

I wholeheartedly agree with Palutena's buffs. Her Counter is useless, it sucks so much it's not even funny. It's not even worth to try using it. Her smash attacks could do with some ending lag reduced, too.
I wouldn't exactly call Palutena's Counter useless, but it is lacking in the knockback department if it doesn't block a heavy hitting attack.

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
If Mewtwo's running gets buffed more, up to Zero Suit Samus's running speed would be the limit for it. Any higher than 2.1 and then it starts to become a bit ridiculous.

@The Legendary DJXYZ: Rosalina's d-air really isn't all that powerful without the Luma, and while u-air can be a strong finisher, actually landing the right hitbox is not easy if Rosalina is Lumaless.

As for Palutena's Counter, I will say that for a counter that has a 1.3x multiplier, its knockback is weak when compared to most other counters. Counter can't even 1-hit KO Bowser Jr. whenever it blocks Koopa Meteor, which is something that the other counters (especially Counter Surge) can do more easily.

And when I say 1-hit KO, I mean being able to KO at 0% damage.

I wouldn't exactly call Palutena's Counter useless, but it is lacking in the knockback department if it doesn't block a heavy hitting attack.
Mewtwo needs zero buffs after this patch they should focus on the people who actually need them

Zelda

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Mewtwo needs zero buffs after this patch they should focus on the people who actually need them

Zelda
As the past updates have shown us though, you can't really update one character without affecting the others, since while Mewtwo did get buffed, Corrin got nerfed as a drawback. Yes I know that Counter Surge has been weakened to be less absurd, but the mobility attributes never deserved to be nerfed as well.

Last edited:
3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
As the past updates have shown us though, you can't really update one character without affecting the others, since while Mewtwo did get buffed, Corrin got nerfed as a drawback. Yes I know that Counter Surge has been weakened to be less absurd, but the mobility attributes never deserved to be nerfed as well.
I agree the reason I drop Corrin is because he's to slow for my liking I mean it not like he was fast to began with

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I agree the reason I drop Corrin is because he's to slow for my liking I mean it not like he was fast to began with
It's even sadder when you're not allowed to use equipment, as that can help deal with Corrin's mobility issues; this especially includes Corrin's air speed, since his recovery is rather mediocre as a whole.

FlameEmperor

Smash Cadet
NNID
FlameEmperor

Part of the reason I play fighting games is because not everyone is the same. There's a sense of personality in the character you pick. When people just jump on the wagon towards the latest success, that trivializes that concept.

I'll admit that another part of it comes from the fact that I played this character when he was terrible, and they didn't, and I resent that. I feel like they didn't earn the right to call themselves a main of the character. Damn right it's petty. I'm not going to rationalize that. It is what it is.

But I do think it's funny that the only people that have a problem are the Mewtwos. I wonder why.

Oh well. It's not like you guys didn't hate my guts already. No love lost I guess.
I think we all can understand and sympathize in some degree to your feelings.

It's perfectly natural to feel something you cherish and is proud of be picked up by onlookers solely for seeing the same potential you've been seeing along. It's like having a favorite flavor of ice cream that no one tries but you keep harping on how good it is but no one cares until they get someone else's opinion.

I don't think anyone can hate for that since I'm sure at some point we all felt like this about something even if it's irrational or petty.

Last edited:
3DS FC
2595-4014-1734

It's perfectly natural to feel something you cherish and is proud of be picked up by onlookers solely for seeing the same potential you've been seeing along. It's like having a favorite flavor of ice cream that no one tries but you keep harping on how good it is but no one cares until they get someone else's opinion.

I don't think anyone can hate for that since I'm sure at some point we all felt like this about something even if it's irrational or petty.
These words there beautiful *clap clap clap* you deserve a medal of honor

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I can sympathize with it to some extent but I like to think I grew out of it.

Damn right it's petty. I'm not going to rationalize that. It is what it is.

For lack of better words at least you admitted it was petty and didn't try to blanket it, doesn't make it any less ****ty but at least you're honest about it. Also I'm not a Mewtwo, I just happen to think this attitude is reprehensible and also metagame stunting (new blood brings new discoveries, bandwagon or not.)

I mean, I didn't hate your guts already cause I haven't followed any other things you did prior to the character buffs but if this is how you react to people picking up a character because they see that they're viable (or perceived as viable), it feels unwelcoming and backwards and to me strongly anti-community.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay

Your twittlonger post is unnecessary. We don't need you sabotaging Mewtwo Main's to scare off new players. Mewtwo's abysmal weight will already weed out bad players anyway. This character is not easy to play.

What we should be doing is encouraging them. It sucks that people didn't realize his power till now, but some just had to see it with their own eyes.

What you should have done if you actually cared about progressing his meta would be to make a guide to help the Newtwo's with transitioning to Mewtwo. Learning to play Mewtwo is already hard enough. We don't need you intentionally making it harder.

Now all these people who don't know you have a reputation for being whiny and overly pessimistic about Mewtwo are projecting this foolishness on to everyone else. Whether or not you like it or acknowledge it, you're taking a dump on this good moment for us.

This behavior really is embarrassing and unfitting for a Mewtwo of your skill.

:150:

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul

It's perfectly fine to feel that way. That your 'unique' character becomes the next Shiek or Fox and now everybody is playing them. I felt that way when somebody here started picking up Mewtwo as he went higher on the tier list. He is 'play-to-win' he doesn't actually care about dedicating himself to a character. If he did he wouldn't be 'maining' Baynonetta for easy wins right now. It does irk me that he uses Mewtwo a little now, considering I was pretty much the only Mewtwo main here (really dedicated) but it's bound to happen when Mewtwo gets more recognition. How much he cares about playing Mewtwo is another thing. I am perfectly fine with Mewtwo at mid tier because if he was top or high, then he'd be spammed like Shiek and Diddy and wouldn't be unique.

Yes, I get it's an absolute **** way to feel when your character... that you saw the light of day in and nobody else cared about... or called trash or bottom tier... or the worst in the game... and ridiculed and mocked you for it suddenly changes their mind after seeing a person play one match or win a tournament and suddenly everybody is flocking to play them thinking they'll win. It makes me rage as well. I know people play Mewtwo because they don't care about him, they just want to win, just like the guy I mentioned before. Yeah, that's lame. I don't really want to see a flock of Mewtwo's out there with the players intentions being only a cheap win either. Mewtwo takes strong dedication. He's not like Bayonetta where you pay 5.99 to win.

It's petty when it gets to a point that nobody else 'deserves' to play them and that you think you're the only one entitled to your character. That's the jist I got from reading the guide. Instead of aiming to get better with Mewtwo's newfound potential, up comes an anti-Mewtwo guide instead, basically telling people how to beat Mewtwo newcomers.

What.

Calling Mewtwo one of the worst and bad as well as writing up an anti-Mewtwo guide, yet maining him? I don't see the logic in it. I do understand where he is coming from, but I don't agree with such strong pessimism.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Your twittlonger post is unnecessary. We don't need you sabotaging Mewtwo Main's to scare off new players. Mewtwo's abysmal weight will already weed out bad players anyway. This character is not easy to play.

What we should be doing is encouraging them. It sucks that people didn't realize his power till now, but some just had to see it with their own eyes.

What you should have done if you actually cared about progressing his meta would be to make a guide to help the Newtwo's with transitioning to Mewtwo. Learning to play Mewtwo is already hard enough. We don't need you intentionally making it harder.

Now all these people who don't know you have a reputation for being whiny and overly pessimistic about Mewtwo are projecting this foolishness on to everyone else. Whether or not you like it or acknowledge it, you're taking a dump on this good moment for us.

This behavior really is embarrassing and unfitting for a Mewtwo of your skill.

It's perfectly fine to feel that way. That your 'unique' character becomes the next Shiek or Fox and now everybody is playing them. I felt that way when somebody here started picking up Mewtwo as he went higher on the tier list. He is 'play-to-win' he doesn't actually care about dedicating himself to a character. If he did he wouldn't be 'maining' Baynonetta for easy wins right now. It does irk me that he uses Mewtwo a little now, considering I was pretty much the only Mewtwo main here (really dedicated) but it's bound to happen when Mewtwo gets more recognition. How much he cares about playing Mewtwo is another thing. I am perfectly fine with Mewtwo at mid tier because if he was top or high, then he'd be spammed like Shiek and Diddy and wouldn't be unique.

Yes, I get it's an absolute **** way to feel when your character... that you saw the light of day in and nobody else cared about... or called trash or bottom tier... or the worst in the game... and ridiculed and mocked you for it suddenly changes their mind after seeing a person play one match or win a tournament and suddenly everybody is flocking to play them thinking they'll win. It makes me rage as well. I know people play Mewtwo because they don't care about him, they just want to win, just like the guy I mentioned before. Yeah, that's lame. I don't really want to see a flock of Mewtwo's out there with the players intentions being only a cheap win either. Mewtwo takes strong dedication. He's not like Bayonetta where you pay 5.99 to win.

It's petty when it gets to a point that nobody else 'deserves' to play them and that you think you're the only one entitled to your character. That's the jist I got from reading the guide. Instead of aiming to get better with Mewtwo's newfound potential, up comes an anti-Mewtwo guide instead, basically telling people how to beat Mewtwo newcomers.

What.

Calling Mewtwo one of the worst and bad as well as writing up an anti-Mewtwo guide, yet maining him? I don't see the logic in it. I do understand where he is coming from, but I don't agree with such strong pessimism.
These two posts basically covered all what I wanted to say.

This is just really, really goddamn pathetic. I guess I'm a scrub "Newtwo" because I picked him up in December after he was buffed, huh?

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734

What.

Honestly this guy isn't worth it obviously he doesn't care as a day one mewtwo I just get good laugh at this guy and continue having a great day don't let him give ous his garbage

There can't be sadness here Mootoos! Come on our lord and savior Abadango gave us so much knowledge and insight about our cat, we should be happy <3.

D

Deleted member

There can't be sadness here Mootoos! Come on our lord and savior Abadango gave us so much knowledge and insight about our cat, we should be happy <3.
tbh Mewtwo more or less resembles a kangaroo than a cat.

:mewtwomelee:

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
>there are people out there that only pick certain characters so they can feel like a special snowflake

Browny

Smash Hater
I'm just happy that more Mewtwo attention means more commentators having half a clue what they are talking about.

A few days ago I heard one say that Mewtwos dtilt has a disjoint, it brought a tear to my eye to hear those words.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
At Pound I didn't hear a commentator say 30% is halfway to death percent.

It was indeed beautiful.

A few weeks back I heard a commentator for a local utter the following: "Isn't Mewtwo like heavy now?".

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
Hearing commentators trying to analyse characters they know nothing about is both hilarious and cringe worthy.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
A few weeks back I heard a commentator for a local utter the following: "Isn't Mewtwo like heavy now?".
Is it really too much to ask for a commentator to know the game? He could have just looked at the patch notes before the match.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Mewtwo commentary is so bad you can literally hear my eyeballs rolling in my skull.

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
If we're talking about bad commentary once heard a guy say "is mewtwo as fast as little mac"

Last edited:

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
tbh Mewtwo more or less resembles a kangaroo than a cat.

:mewtwomelee:
Pretty sure he is (at least partly) based off Giygas first design seeing how Gamefreak is mostly made out of people formerly working on Mother/Earthbound.

...but then again, i would be lying if i didn't see cat/kangaroo like features on him.

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
Pretty sure he is (at least partly) based off Giygas first design seeing how Gamefreak is mostly made out of people formerly working on Mother/Earthbound.

...but then again, i would be lying if i didn't see cat/kangaroo like features on him.
No disrespect but I don't see it

Top Bottom