• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WoL (Spoilers) World of Light 100% "review".

Rexxgrim

Smash Rookie
There will be Spoilers from the Adventure Mode World of Light in this thread.

I posted the picture with covers on the "Spoiler-y" indicators in case someone still manges to accidentally tumble into this thread. I will re-post the image with all numbers further down as it is needed too give a final word on this game mode.

(Just posted the picture too let people know that I did the whole thing - Sorry for potato quality, I don't know how I take a screenshot on the Switch and then somehow port that image over to my PC so that I could upload it - I suppose it's possible with some USB trickery but screw that)

Review is put in brackets because some people may look upon this as more of a criticism than a review. Each too their own.

World of Light VS it's predecessors.

World of Light is without a shadow of a doubt a welcome addition too Smash Ultimate considering how Smash 4 had no Adventure mode which was a huge let down considering how awesome the Subspace Emissary from Brawl was. But how does World of Light stack up VS the Adventure modes of Melee and Brawl?

To put it short and simple; with World of Light in the mix we can just eliminate Melee's adventure mode from the list. Seen as Subspace now has something else it can be compared too, we can just toss out Melee's Adventure Mode immediately as it does not hold a candle to either of these two. As for how it stacks up VS Subspace - I'd say they are somewhat equal in rough overall quality. That may sound wishy washy but I will better detail further down what I mean by breaking the different parts of World of Light into chunks. As for that I will make no comparisons between World of Light and Melee's Adventure mode and only compare it too Subspace when I feel it should be done.

The Spirit System:

I know this is a thing people most likely either will love or hate so this may be a huge let down too some people but I got very little too say here. While it sure was a nice new addition that had more interaction than the Trophy system from the past few games; it also failed too have much of an impact too me. I found spirits, I gathered Spirits, I used spirits by spamming "Randomize" before each battle until I saw perks from Main and Support spirits which I felt would benefit me the most in the upcoming battle.

I never destroyed or summoned Spirits as I never understood why it should be done, I felt fine with the ones I had.

I used my level up candies after I hit my first brick wall and suddenly sat with like 16 max leveled spirits and after that I felt no difference. It was more of a "Huh, suppose I should've done that more actively along the way.

I just think this system is a game mechanic that I A: Care little about but also B: Don't mind that exists. It did little too me and I did not hate it so it served a meager purpose when I needed a bit of a boost in battle and that's about it.

The Fighter System:

How the game starts you off with Kirby alone and has you unlock challengers along the way was alright. Kirby is a well all around character that can gimp SO many matches with the "Suck n c**c" tactic for those that just can't be bothered - and the way you unlocked fighters along the way was a welcome addition. If one feels that the "order" the fighters was unlocked in was lackluster or not all comes down to personal preference so I got nothing too say on that. I personally played Kirby for about 85% of the entire World of Light campaign and did not change characters until I got my hands on Meta Knight which for those of you who have completed the mode; knows that is a fair distance into the game.

The Skill Tree System:

This like the Spirit System was something I did not mind too much. I spendt points pretty much as soon as I got enough to work my way to the "end" points I wanted. They give players options to spec better into things they may know are their weak points and they CAN make of break certain fights but those are so few and far in between so they are not really worth mentioning. It as the Spirits; server it's purpose and was a nice addition that added "options" which is something many games lack now a day.

The Map:

The Map in World of Light comes broken into 3 separate chunks. I will now speak about each one of them individually further down.

I did not like that you could not "look around" while inside the "Dungeons" I suppose we could call them. (You know, the Swirlies on the map that prevents you from using the "map" once inside) the size on most of them was good. Not too big nor too smal and they all looked decent and thematically mostly slotted well inn too the area they were placed within.

The Caves, Shops and Dojo's was all pretty good. That you also can access them all from the menu after unlocking them just makes it all so much better so I got nothing more to say. They were nice too have, the Gym especially - wish there was maybe ONE more Gym but I can understand why they would not add it so - not really a point too make here.

Map 1 - Getting too Galeem:

The first map in World of Light is a tad too large in my opinion. Despite how I love the way it grants you extreme free will in terms of what path you wish too go and with how certain Spirits is needed in order too traverse specific parts of the map - I think that they put too much stuff onto this map. Not details as I do belive the later maps is more detailed in the overall sense but they lack a lot of the spirit interactions which this first map has. It did look pretty however and you could SEE the paths which won't be the case for every map.

Map 2 - Into the darkness:

The second map was pretty decent in size but this is where I feel like the Dungeons became too big, the paths became a bit too clunky too see and the lack of spirit interactivity became a soar miss. If they had ported like 20-33% of the content from map 1 over too map 2 or just kept map 2 the same size while giving it 20-33% more content; I'd say that this map would be pretty close too perfect (If they also at least added some Spirit interactivity) Doing this would also justify reducing the dungeon sizes as again; they were a tad too big. This map however looks by far the best and the dungeons too had some riddles and mysteries too solve which was a really nice and welcome addition. Not that I feel it is enough to "replace" the need for Spirits but it ALMOST make it worth it.

Map 3 - Choose your side:

This map does not really have much that can be said about it other than that it really looks neat. The way it pulls one way or the other is pretty neat depending on how many spirits you defeat. It's size was good and it did not FEEL like a map that needed Spirit interaction or dungeons so that both of them was missing did not make much of a difference. The number of fights on this map too was spot on for a finale - overall really great but I can't give it the "You win because it thematically looks swell" pass since I still think map 2 looks the best.

The Fights:

This is where this game mode fals apart. There is a total of 615 matches too be had in this game mode and approximately 500-550 of them goes in between being "Cannon fodder" too "This was a decent" challenge. But it has those few last, those few last rage inducing matches that just made me want too toss my controller into the wall, it left a taste in my mouth so bad that I just wanted to exit the mode as clearly not all of these matches have been play tested. It really kicks you in the nuts when you play like 30-50 challenges and are having a really good time then you meet this one challenge that just breaks the game. NPC's had questionable uses of; Grab Range, Hyper armor frames, Negation of players armor / invulnerability frames, ignoring of "weight of attack" priorities, recovery speed, attack damage, launch power and so on and so on.

While I do know that mostly all battles have rules too them and that these can be read before entering (Don't you worry, I read them all) I still thin some of these matches is grossly overturned. The best examples I can come with is the Sonic and Assist Trophy fight at the lower middle section too the left of map 1 that guards the mine shaft with the Rayman Spirit and the 8x Metal Mega Man fights with a final doctor Mario inside the dungeon at the lower left side of map 1. These fights were so overtuned, had NPC's that ignored the games rules time and time again and just in general had me tilt more than I wanted too.

These overtuned fights alone break so much of this game mode as if they had been removed or just tuned down; i'd call out World of Light for being close too perfection for what it sets out too be. I would like too note that even with the right Spirits; these fights was a mess. I tuned the Metal Mega man one donw too easy and it stands as the only challenge I did not beat on Normal.

But apart from the broken challenges that left a bad taste here and there; most of them was as mentioned good. It's just so sad too see a game mode so close to being prefect getting ruined by challenges with artificial difficulty.

The Bosses:

I fee like World of Light could do with 2-4 more bosses but that would perhaps have made the last run of the True Ending a bit too long. The bosses the game mode had was all decent, not too much health on any of them although some of them should have been a bit more reactionary as especially Galleom was a bit too slow too turn after you but then again he hits for a fair bit when he first hits. I suppose most of these bosses are just how they need to be on Hard in my book.

The re-use of Master and Crazy hand could be limited too once and not twice. Al tough the last encounter with them was nice with some additional changes, I do feel like it would have been enough to do this once and just add 2 additional bosses rather than having Master and Crazy as "main mini" bosses on so many occasions.

The bosses of Galeem and Dharkon was decent and the upgrades they got later on was spectacular additions that made me love these fights more than I should.

The True ending was the first ending I reached. When I went too map 3 I purposefully went back and forth too keep the map in balance as I did not want too "side" with either of the flying turds and the path down the middle of the top of the map was where I naturally ended up and with that let me say:

The True ending fight of this game gave me the most chills I have had in a game in a long time.

The Master Hand VS Fighter was just a big "OH MY GOD" moment. We have modded and messed around with smash for years too let us "play" as Master and Crazy hand and here it is handed too us. This part of the ending was just epic, it was truly a "OH LORD YES" moment for Smash players.

The climb up as Galeem and Dharkon assaults you and destroys the map. Item challenges and Fighter brawls where Light fought Dark: all too reach the top where the two giants was fighting in the background as you had to re-challenge all bosses in a Boss-Royale game that felt so in-place.

The final fight VS both Galeem and Dharkon was the best, THE BEST! How they could damage one and other and also had fighters from each side spawn in just made this one of the best endings I could imagine for this game mode. Nintendo may have had a wobble with the early part of this game mode but the nailed the landing so good that it may as well almost not even matter. Truly a spectacular ending too this game mode.

Overall World of Light is a sold Adventure mode experience that would be perfect if map 1 and 2 were more evenly balanced and had some of the extremely overtuned matches been balanced out a bit. I don't belive in 10/10 scores so a 9/10 is the best I can give yet World of Light does in my book despite some hits and misses land on a solid;

7.5 / 10 - Because some of those broken a** fights just for real had me flip out and lose my interest for periods of time.

Oh yeah music. There was some music. I don't take note of music. But the World of Light soundtrack is kicka**.

Last edited:

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
I read part of this since I don't want spoiled on too much of it. I do agree (already) with some fights being a bit much. I think part of it is getting use to it and learning what to do though... or getting lucky and Viridi kills herself. But since you're someone who has taken the time to complete the mode, can you answer if all characters are in the mode/unlocked? I was planning on playing through it before messing with other stuff, but I may change to Classic Mode if a portion of the characters can't be experienced in the mode/unlocked in it.

I've read conflicting info in regards to this.

Last edited:

Rexxgrim

Smash Rookie
I read part of this since I don't want spoiled on too much of it. I do agree (already) with some fights being a bit much. I think part of it is getting use to it and learning what to do though... or getting lucky and Viridi kills herself. But since you're someone who has taken the time to complete the mode, can you answer if all characters are in the mode/unlocked? I was planning on playing through it before messing with other stuff, but I may change to Classic Mode if a portion of the characters can't be experienced in the mode/unlocked in it.

I've read conflicting info in regards to this.
I can confirm that once I 100% completed World of Light I had ALL fighters unlocked. So they are all inn there - some are just more «hidden» than others and comes much later in the mode (Some fighters was not unlocked til around the last few hours of playing it)

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
I've played and beaten all of map 1 on Hard mode so far, and I tell you what, I ******* hated some matches. The Boss (Metal Gear Sold 3) spirit sucked, the Doctor Wily one sucked, Wii Fit Trainer one sucked, etc. I found Doctor Mario's tornado and a super armor Spirit (along with various buffs and skill tree things) to me my best friends. The one with the metal Mega Men was cheesed with super armor and Donkey Kong's down-B. An inglorious victory after literally dozens of defeats, but it worked. But the PAULINE SPIRIT FIGHT was insane. Even after figuring out some "speedrunner strats" to kill off DK and Mario, Peach was just too good at avoiding me and the timer ran out. I eventually just got lucky and Peach screwed up and died off the bottom. Very unsatisfactory scenario in every possible way.

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Just got done beating the mode myself. I too went for the true ending first. I gotta say, I loved this mode. It made me smile every now and then. Probably because we finally got an adventure mode. I definitely agree that some fights are just too much. I'll say this, for any smash player who wasn't expecting much cutscenes and never cared about platforming, this mode is for you.

Definitely a must play if you don't plan on getting 100%. I got around 82% and never once dropped down to normal for any matches (Although would recommend doing for anyone who doesn't mind going down a bit). I enjoyed the spirits but once you get legendary spirits to Max level, there isn't really much of a point to use something else, not unless you want to go lower and get more rewards (which is a good that they implement that).

I personally find Galeem's map the best, but Dharkon had the best dungeons and they each made exploring different (Castlevania is the best Imo). The last map is cool too and it really is perfect way to wrap up the mode.

Some fights really made me frustrated. I find it crazy how a lot of them with teams do basically wombo combos from 0 to death in the first few seconds. I also didn't like some 1v1s with stamina where the fighter does huge damage even if your spirit level is higher and have the type advantage. The one with Guile near the end was too much. I've tried sahelanthropus (primary that gives you metal and giant in the start) and assist killer, I can't kill him with a few charge smashes and falcon does a great deal of damage while Guile finishes me off with a Sonic boom. I've tried auto heal and even great auto heal and still nothing. I've added 2 assist killers and failed a couple more times until I luckily defeated Falcon. Some of these matches are a true pain and I'd recommend avoiding at all costs if you don't plan to 100% and if it's possible.

But then the bosses, oh boy what a treat that the best part of subspace (other than tons of cutscenes) makes a return. I REALLY wished there was a boss battle mode after you complete WoL. Galeem was amazing and so was Dharkon. While they are nearly identical fights, it was still awesome and the ending was just so good. THAT MASTER HAND VS LIGHT AND DARK ARMIES NEEDS TO BE IT'S OWN MODE. Seriously felt so fun easily destroying fighters to show who's the real boss of smash and playing as him felt WAY better than the glitch to play as him on Melee.

One thing I've missed is co-op, really wished it was implemented and maybe we'll get it someday? If we got hard mode on day one then I guess it wouldn't be out of the question.

Overall, it's a great experience. Is it better than subspace? I honestly can't say because they are so different to each other and it depends on tastes. But man, this is sure long. I say this mode is more than twice as long than subspace so I appreciate that this mode will be giving me and others a long time to enjoy what the mode offers.

Oh and on a side note, back to the spirits, thanks to the support I have made my silver Mario amiibo Metal Mario with equipping metal and slow super armor. It's basically having a boss of my own and this is part of the reason why I love spirits.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Good review.

This is by far my favorite single player mode in a Smash game ever. I know some people wanted a return to form with Melee's Adventure mode and the Subspace Emissary, but I personally believe that an Adventure mode in Smash can do without the platforming. In Melee, platforming segments tend to get repetitive after a while and two of them are mostly empty spaces that exist for the sake of traversing them; and in Brawl, you would encounter clusters of enemies that killed you unfairly making the platforming sections a crap-shoot. World of Light is like a long version of Melee's adventure mode but without the platforming segments, that also incorporates tons of Event Matches.

And I agree, some of the fights were dumb and frustrating. And that is ok. Its not uncommon to have parts of a game that you dislike that make you want to get over with and go back to the main event; like the water levels in Sonic, the Water Temple in Ocarina of Time, that vehicle level in Battle Toads or some of the Event Matches in Melee and Brawl.
I had fun experimenting with the Spirit combinations that would help defeat me my opponents. Breaking the system was very enjoyable to me, and even when I found a winning formula, I always encouraged myself to find something different to use. The Dr. Wily battle may have been dumb at first, but after a while I came back to it and beat it with Kirby using enhanced foots attacks and metal killer while attacking mostly from the air. There was frustration at first, but overcoming that battle filled me with incredible satisfaction later. Same against The Boss or Sagat, who felt impossible at first but I then switched to Megaman and kept attacking from a distance whilst avoiding my opponent. The only one I cannot say anything good about it is the Pauline battle.

I also loved the references and themes that were presented. Like the Street Fighter, Gourment Race and DK Country dungeons. Or the one where you chase a Rathalos around. As I type this, I'm on Dracula's Castle and so far I've had a blast in it.

I was initially unsure about Spirits, but I have to say that I like how they are far more involved in the gameplay than trophies. World of Light also doubles as a museum display of not just Nintendo history, but videogame history in general.

I've played and beaten all of map 1 on Hard mode so far, and I tell you what, I ******* hated some matches. The Boss (Metal Gear Sold 3) spirit sucked, the Doctor Wily one sucked, Wii Fit Trainer one sucked, etc. I found Doctor Mario's tornado and a super armor Spirit (along with various buffs and skill tree things) to me my best friends. The one with the metal Mega Men was cheesed with super armor and Donkey Kong's down-B. An inglorious victory after literally dozens of defeats, but it worked. But the PAULINE SPIRIT FIGHT was insane. Even after figuring out some "speedrunner strats" to kill of DK and Mario, Peach was just too good at avoiding me and the timer ran out. I eventually just got lucky and Peach screwed up and died off the bottom. Very unsatisfactory scenario in every possible way.
I read some strats that said that you can finish the fight quickly if you equip a Staff with some shooting buffs to kill Peach.

Some fights really made me frustrated. I find it crazy how a lot of them with teams do basically wombo combos from 0 to death in the first few seconds. I also didn't like some 1v1s with stamina where the fighter does huge damage even if your spirit level is higher and have the type advantage. The one with Guile near the end was too much. I've tried sahelanthropus (primary that gives you metal and giant in the start) and assist killer, I can't kill him with a few charge smashes and falcon does a great deal of damage while Guile finishes me off with a Sonic boom. I've tried auto heal and even great auto heal and still nothing. I've added 2 assist killers and failed a couple more times until I luckily defeated Falcon. Some of these matches are a true pain and I'd recommend avoiding at all costs if you don't plan to 100% and if it's possible.
A killer combination I saw was Little Mac with Mr. Sandman as his primary and the support spirit that makes him giant at the start of match, alongside armored charging Smash attacks. He becomes a world destroyer.

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Yeah, the middle was definitely the weakest part of this Adventure mode. Repetitive fights that are throwaways and random fights that are problematic or rage-inducing (especially so on Hard mode). However, the polish on the finale was really good. Even with the bad endings, it's a good reminder for young folks that too much of one side is never a good thing.

Kulty

Smash Ace
I finished WoL recently, and I do agree with some of the points mentioned in this review.

Compared to Subspace Emissary, I love that WoL focuses mainly on Nintendo worlds as proven with the warp portals scattered around the light and dark realms. Second, as of cutscenes, it was about what I expected: not a lot, but enjoyable. I still love watching them, but it`s just weird that there was no voice acting after the opening cutscene, and it`s just focusing on both Galeem and Dharkon instead of the fighters. Although I do like the Spirit Battles, I feel that it overstays its welcome a bit too much. Plus, it is extremely repetitive, which is honestly my BIGGEST problem with WoL. I feel that the overall adventure went on for WAY TOO LONG due to its repetitive nature. Plus, it doesn`t have a track system to track down the remaining spirits you have left to rescue. It basically means that you have to track down by yourself just to find the last few Spirits you missed, and it`s especially a problem in the Light Realm part of the game due to how big the map is. I didn`t have this problem personally since I fight every single Spirit I see, but that is smt that I can`t ignore for the sake of others.

Plus, some of the Spirit Battles are just infuriating to deal with. I played this entire Adventure Mode on hard, and they were three spirits that annoyed me the most (one which I still did on Hard, but the two others can just go f*** themselves). These two are the Geno Spirit Battle and the Dr Wily battle. These two pissed me off so much that I had to turn it to easy, just bc I was stuck in those two for hrs. They were other battles that annoyed me (like Dark Emperor), but nowhere near as much as the two.

I don`t want to go on for too long, but the highlights of WoL for me (and what made it quite enjoyable despite its flaws) are rescuing the characters, bosses and the end-game. Rescuing the characters (while just a standard 1v1 fight) at least has no gimmicks, and it`s just 1on1 against your opponent, no gimmicks whatsoever (and I love that). Just like with Subspace, I do like the bosses as well, but I find it kinda lame that some bosses have dizzy phases (Master Hand, Crazy Hand, Rathalos, Ganon) that let you attack however you want. The bosses overall felt a tiny bit easier than the Brawl bosses for me for some reason. I don`t know why, but I feel that the bosses don`t kill you until at really high percentages unlike the Brawl bosses on Intense (where not only they do so much damage like at least 50% for one move, but they kill you earlier like at 60%).

Finally, the end game is probably the strongest and most exciting part of the whole adventure. The fact that you can finally play Master Hand against Galeem`s and Dharkon's army of fighters was REALLY REALLY AWESOME. Definitely a reference to Melee. Finally, giving you two bad endings and one true ending is really cool. However, the final stage was really awesome (as you get to play 3 characters just like an action stage in Subspace Emissary) with the platforming section, the boss rush and finally, Galeem and Dharkon themselves. I find the two to be quite challenging and rewarding on hard separately, but fighting both at the same time was awesome. It`s cool that they can damage each other. So yea, the end game is a big improvement over the poor end game with the terrible Great Maze back in Brawl.

All in all, I enjoyed WoL despite its flaws. I do plan on playing New Game+ just to get to play Master Hand again and keep playing it, and also for me to unlock the last Adventure challenge achievement I need to get: obtain all Adventure skills (from the Skill Tree).

Top Bottom