• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Spoilers* The Awakening Lords Team, Chrom and Lucina for SSB4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

Overview
Chrom and Lucina are the descendants of Marth and are 2 of the main protagonist in Fire Emblem Awakening. Chrom being the King and Lucina being the Princess from the destroyed future. Lucina came to the Future as Masked Marth and later as Lucina to help protect Chrom from death in order to save their future from Grima.
Super Smash Bros. 4
Chrom and Lucina would work sort of like the Ice Climbers in whichthey are paied together, however, they don't attack at the same time all the time like the Ice Climbers do, instead Chrom hits 1st and then Lucina would follow the attack and hit second when using certain moves like neutral A attacks and some Smash and Special attacks, like the pairing system in FE Awakening, which they are based off of. This would also make them very different from Marth, Ike, and Roy.​
Moveset
Normal A attacks would have Chrom and Lucina attack at the same time, doing usually slashing the opponent with some stabs. Smash A attacks would have Chrom attack first and then Lucina which would mostly have slashes.

B- Duel Guard
Works alot like a counter. Lucina would protect Chrom with her sword and Chrom would then quickly attack the opponent.

Side B-Aether
Chrom would attack the opponent with a stab and then lift his sword upward with Lucina following about half a second later.

Down B-Switch
Chrom and Lucina switch leaders and become different stat wise. Lucina would be a quicker character who can rack up damage very quickly, but have very low KO potential, while Chrom is a little bit slower but has more KO potential.

Up B- Duel Strike
Chrom quickly slashes his sword and jumps along with Lucina and upon landing they attack again doing good horizontal and verticle recovery.

Final Smash- Duel Support Chrom and Lucina get a large power boost and Chrom starts attacking in the front and Lucina behind, trapping whoever is near them, after a few slashes they switch sides doing and start attacking again, finally after a few slashes they hit a blue flamed Aether knocking back anyone they trapped, almost guarenteeding a KO. The attack would deal both massive damage and massive knockback.

Other Movesets
Jaytalks' moveset
Awakening Lords Moveset:
Like Samus and Zero Suit Samus, changing between characters is prompted by their final smash. For the rest of the game, they remain like Ice Climbers. Holding hold down R, then press start or + will start the match as Lucina.

The properties of Chrom and Lucina are different than the Ice Climbers, in that the partner character does not experience the same damage as the main character. As a result, the partner barely moves with attacks like the Smash attack, and can't get knocked out easily. Any grabbing moves of the opponent have a priority to grab the main if both are present. However, the partner still follow the main character around, should they somehow get separated. The separation more comes from knocking the main. The partner only does the second attack with certain moves, much like in Awakening. There are no increased recovery properties because of the partner. Should the main be knocked out, the partner stands upright, and fades away like a dead fire emblem character in the games. The woosh sound effect can be heard as they fade away.

Note: The Chrom moveset started as a copy of the Lucina moveset, so any mistakes with his or her comes from that.

Final Smash - Duel Strike:
If the partner is not with the main (or dead), they are warped next to the main with magic. The main attacks forward, hitting any in front of them, while the partner attacks anyone behind. After a few strikes (in the same manner as a brave sword) , they switch, doing the same to anyone in front on the other side. Finally, they hit one blue flamed Aether on their respective sides to knock any opponents out of sight.

Lucina Moveset (copied from the Lucina thread):
Some of the attacks use this movie as a reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NpJ_afFukQ
A button attacks
A-A-A: Double handed kendo strike: starts at 5:45 Lucina uses a weak double handed kendo strike, from her left shoulder, to her opponent's right. She follows up with a second handed sword strike from the opposite side, and ends the combo with a left to right sword strike, that goes from low to mid (5:47).

A- forward: Turning strike: She turns her body counter clockwise and swings her sword with two hands in a mid to high slash.
A-up: Upward slash: Lucina simply slashes upward, with no stabbing motion, from 60 to 80 degrees.
A-down: One handed sword slash While crouching, Lucina will hold her sword just with her right hand. She slashes from right to left one, and one second press she stabs from left to right

Smash attacks
Forward: Brand of the Exalt: Her sword lights up as it charges and she does a double handed stab while standing still. Chrom also does the same.10:04 to 10:10)

Down: Downfall: she goes into her default stance while crouching, and stabs once low, and then pivots and slashes with her right hand in the opposite direction from right to left. Chrom also does the same.
Up: Exaulted High: Lucina does her double handed sword stab at a 55 degree angle and continues to move her sword upward until it hits 90 degrees. Chrom also does the same.

Aerials (note: in the air, she just hold her sword with her right hand.)
Nair: Stab: She stabs forward with her sword, and then continues to cut with her sword downward until she hit
Fair: Spinning strike: she spins in the air, and strikes from her right shoulder to her left hip (5:48)

Dair: Flipping Blade: Lucina flips downward and hits a double handed strike while 270 degrees into her flip. has a downward arc Seen at 6:28.
Bair: Turning strike: she turns in the air, beginning her strike mid through the air, but its a front slash

Grabs (not really able to throw opponent off the stage.
Grab: grabs opponent with left hand.
Grab + A: hits her opponent with the bottom of her right hilt.
Grab up: throws her opponent up, and stabs them with the sword with a completely 90 degree stab
Grab down: stabs her opponent with her sword, and then places down in a lying position
Grab forward: throws her opponent forward, and then hits them with a slash
Grab back: throws her opponent backward, and then hits them with a turning slash

Lucina Specials:
Neutral Special: Defender
It occurs at about 4:10.
Lucina quickly puts her sword behind her back. She then turns around and swings around her sword, and strikes anyone behind with one clean cut. This defends against projectiles with the first part of the move. The move does not have a lot of knockback to knock out, but gives Lucina some space. It's one continuous cut so she ends up facing the same side as when she started the attack. But she stands for a little bit, living her vulnerable to attacks in front of her while performing the move..
Side: Blue Aether - Lucina moves forward, stabbing the opponent with a one handed sword strike using the top edge of her Falchion. It has blue flames. She runs low and disappears for a second, allowing her to dodge high attacks and projectiles. (seen at 5:57) If Chrom is around her, he will do the move as well.
Up: Galeforce (Or Gale Strike to not canonize her as a daughter of a dark flier) - Lucina jumps forward with a double handed sword strike. If she hits an opponent, she jumps off them and flips in the air, allowing her to jump again, much like Captain Falcon. (seen at 6:01, minus the second jump)
Down: Counter - Like every other Fire Emblem character. However, should they be around each other,Chrom does the block and Lucina does the counter attack.

Lucina's Taunts:
Up Taunt: She stands and looks at her Falchion straight. She lights up along with her Falchion and says "I challenge my fate"
side taunts:She puts on her mask with her left hand and says "You may call me.. Marth," subtley distinguishing her voice. Then she puts way her mask and say "No more" in her normal voice.
down taunts: With Chrom, they point their swords together together. If Chrom is not around, Lucina just does the taunt by herself.

Chrom Moveset:
A button attacks
A-A-A: Double handed kendo strike: starts at 5:45 Chrom uses a weak double handed kendo strike, from his left shoulder, to his opponent's right. He follows up with a second handed sword strike from the opposite side, and ends the combo with a left to right sword strike, that goes from low to mid (5:47 [based on Lucina]).

A- forward: Turning strike: He turns her body counter clockwise and swings his sword with two hands in a mid to high slash.
A-up: Upward slash: Chrom slashes from his left hip to the right side in an upward direction.
A-down: One handed sword slash: While crouching, Chom slashes from right to left one, and a second press he stabs from left to right

Smash attacks
Forward: Shepherd's Blade: Standing still, Chrom slashes his sword with a doublehanded side slash. The sword has blue flames (3:30)
. Lucina also does the same.
Down: Fallen Flames. Chrom does a slash on both sides with blue flames. Lucina also does the same.
Up: Rise of the Exault: Chrom charges blue flames at his side, and hit an upward one handed slash with blue flames. Lucina also does the same.

Nair: Slash: he slashes forward with his sword
Fair: Spinning strike: he spins in the air, and strikes from his right shoulder to her left hip (5:48 [Lucina])
Dair: Double handed slash. Chrom unleashes a two handed sword strike, from up to down. Seen at 5:40.
Bair: Turning strike: he turns in the air, beginning his strike mid through the air, but its a front slash

Grab + A: hits the opponent with his elbow.
Grab up: throws the opponent up, and slashes the opponent.
Grab down: Throw his opponent down, then does a downward stab, with his cape waving in the background.
Grab forward: throws the opponent forward, and then hits them with a slash
Grab back: throws her opponent backward, and then hits them with a back slash

Chrom Specials:
Neutral Special: Rightful King
Chrom stabs the sword into the ground with one hand, with fully waving cape behind him. Can be charged (Like prior to his battle animations in Awakening).
Side: Blue Aether - Chrom moves forward, stabbing the opponent with a one handed sword strike using the top edge of his Falchion. It has blue flames. He runs upright and is invincible during the move, but takes damage. (seen at 5:57). If Lucina is around him, she will do the move as well.
Up: Divine Crash: Chrom waves his sword around really quickly, and jumps high in the air,, and does a downward two handed stab (with blue flame (seen at 3:40). Chrom only does damage on the way down but is invincible prior. Jumps high than Lucina, but doesn't get a second jump.
Down: Counter - Like every other Fire Emblem character. However, should they be around each other, Lucina does the block and Chrom does the counter attack.

Chrom Taunts:
Up: Chrom hold his sword up and says: "Your end has come!"
Side: He points his sword forward and proclaims "Anything can change!"
Down: With Lucina, they point their swords together. If Lucina is not around, Chrom just does the taunt by himself.

Awakening Lords Entrance:
Both Lords arrive via warp spells (rescue in awakening). Chrom does his waving cape and then unsheathes his sword should he be the main. Lucina pushes him aside with a light shove, saying "Stand aside father!" With Chrom responding quickly "Gladly," should she be the main.

Kirby Hat:
Marth Mask from the game, blue hair with it tied up for Lucina. Short blue hair and the mask for Chrom.

Counter-Arguments

Sakurai is having trouble placing in the Ice Climbers, Chrom and Lucina won't be in!
While it is true Sakurai was having trouble implementing the Ice Climbers, he should be done with it by now because we've gotten Rosalina and Luma, who looked like they would be hard to implement too, but since we already know Rosalina's done, Chrom and Lucina and the Ice Climbers shouldn't be too hard to implement.

Signatures
Cheezy Bites-

jaytalks-

Supporters
ScatmansWorld25, ThatWasPeachy, BluePikmin11, andimidna, Superyoshiom

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Yus!

Haven't thought too much of a moveset, but Dual Guard should be the Down Special.

Dual Support should be the Up Special too.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I've put this final smash in their respective threads, so it might as well go here:
Duel Awakening (Dual Strike)
Chrom attacks forward, hitting any in front of him, while Lucina attacks anyone behind. After a few strikes (in the same manner as a brave sword) , they switch, doing the same to anyone in front on the other side. Finally, they hit one blue flamed Aether on their respective sides to knock any opponents out of sight.

I don't think all attacks should result in a second hit. Minor attacks like just A button moves or tilts shouldn't. Smash attacks should, as well as their specials, depending on their nature. They also could retain counter, but for it, Lucina defends and Chrom hits with a counter attack.

Autumn ♫

Thanks for the help on movesets. I'll try to think up of one soon. I'm also going to put supporters up so if any of you want to support them just go ahead and say it.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I actually really like the idea but I think the technical limitations of the 3DS would stand in the way of it being a reality, seeing as how they've already mentioned that even the Ice Climbers are causing some issues and this sounds more complexed than they are. Now I guess we don't know what part of the IC are causing some issues but I'd assume it might have to do with the AI. If the second character only appeared for certain move (like toad for peach) if might avoid causing issues. However that is purely speculation but who knows.

Another bonus to this idea is that it pretty much silences any naysayers of either character individually.

Autumn ♫

I actually really like the idea but I think the technical limitations of the 3DS would stand in the way of it being a reality, seeing as how they've already mentioned that even the Ice Climbers are causing some issues and this sounds more complexed than they are. Now I guess we don't know what part of the IC are causing some issues but I'd assume it might have to do with the AI. If the second character only appeared for certain move (like toad for peach) if might avoid causing issues. However that is purely speculation but who knows.

Another bonus to this idea is that it pretty much silences any naysayers of either character individually.
That's the biggest problem I can think of for them, but if they can fix the Ice Climber's problem soon enough, then not much of anything stands in their way.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Is it alright to say *spoilers* if you then straight away spoil it in the thread title? :smirk:

Starbound

[collapse=FE13 Spoilers]
Without spoiling the game, you shouldn't be able to connect that Masked Marth = Lucina.
[/collapse]

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Is it alright to say *spoilers* if you then straight away spoil it in the thread title? :smirk:
I agree. You shouldn't say the father daughter team in the title of the thread. That's the spoiler. Maybe something like the Awakening Lords Team. Or the Fighting Falchion Team.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I am interested in the dual time system. It would make them different from the other swordsman. Cool idea. I want Chrom,Lucina and Robin in SSB4,but realistically I will only get one. Nice idea!

Starbound

Throw me on the spoilers list too!

I think the one thing the moveset needs is the ability to switch the leader, because that plays such a huge role in the mechanic.

So maybe something like this:

Neutral Special - Dual Guard (counter)
Side Special - Aether (their animation involves running, not jumping)
Up Special - Dual Support (in that "Two Falchions" cutscene, they're both shown with the ability to make really tall jumps, so something like that works here. idk, I just don't want it to function like Ice Climbers').
Down Special - Leader Switch

Autumn ♫

Throw me on the spoilers list too!

I think the one thing the moveset needs is the ability to switch the leader, because that plays such a huge role in the mechanic.

So maybe something like this:

Neutral Special - Dual Guard (counter)
Side Special - Aether (their animation involves running, not jumping)
Up Special - Dual Support (in that "Two Falchions" cutscene, they're both shown with the ability to make really tall jumps, so something like that works here. idk, I just don't want it to function like Ice Climbers').
Down Special - Leader Switch
I was using Ice Climber's as an example as when they both go up instead of just one is what I was trying to get at. Also, what would Leader Switch do to differ from each other?

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I was using Ice Climber's as an example as when they both go up instead of just one is what I was trying to get at. Also, what would Leader Switch do to differ from each other?
It would depend on if they have different style for their other attacks (like A attacks). If they do, switching could be worth while. They could also have different stats. Lucina could be fast while Chrom could be stronger, etc.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
if you like them enough, you can now do what I have in my sig below. Well, below my first post in this thread.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
This isn't a bad idea, but the Ice Climber style seems a bit much. Having them switch out via down special makes the most sense and then Dual Support in pseudo-Ice Climber style should be the FS.

I feel that maybe an Avatar/Chrom pairing would be more likely, but not by enough to matter. Unfortunately, there's probably no way an idea like this would happen - but it is a pretty good idea.

Hank Hill

Smash Apprentice
Considering how important Pairing up is in Fire Emblem, I could see them making it in (as well as their popularity in Fire Emblem).

However, considering the difficulty with the Ice Climbers atm I don't see them making it until that is addressed. Also it may rob the Ice Climbers of the niche of being two in one and I would also avoid more cheap chaingrabbing ~.~

I would appreciate it if these two do make it though.

MasteRMerF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasteRMerF
3DS FC
5000-2607-1297
The more I've thought about this possible Chrom & Lucina team, the more I've come to support it. Though I'd like to see Chrom (or Lucina) as their own characters, working as a pair would be pretty darn sweet to see.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The moveset in the OP is a bit lacking to be honest.

When I try to imagine the aerials, I can't help but think of circus performers. :p

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Chrom and Lucina now that guy who made the rumor now said chrom and Lucina are confirmed as a duo its just a rumor for now will it be fake we don't know

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I dont trust rumors so it doesn't really concern me.

Awakening Lords Moveset:
Like Samus and Zero Suit Samus, changing between characters is prompted by their final smash. For the rest of the game, they remain like Ice Climbers. Holding hold down R, then press start or + will start the match as Lucina.

The properties of Chrom and Lucina are different than the Ice Climbers, in that the partner character does not experience the same damage as the main character. As a result, the partner barely moves with attacks like the Smash attack, and can't get knocked out easily. Any grabbing moves of the opponent have a priority to grab the main if both are present. However, the partner still follow the main character around, should they somehow get separated. The separation more comes from knocking the main. The partner only does the second attack with certain moves, much like in Awakening. There are no increased recovery properties because of the partner. Should the main be knocked out, the partner stands upright, and fades away like a dead fire emblem character in the games. The woosh sound effect can be heard as they fade away.

Note: The Chrom moveset started as a copy of the Lucina moveset, so any mistakes with his or her comes from that.

Final Smash - Duel Strike:
If the partner is not with the main (or dead), they are warped next to the main with magic. The main attacks forward, hitting any in front of them, while the partner attacks anyone behind. After a few strikes (in the same manner as a brave sword) , they switch, doing the same to anyone in front on the other side. Finally, they hit one blue flamed Aether on their respective sides to knock any opponents out of sight.

Lucina Moveset (copied from the Lucina thread):
Some of the attacks use this movie as a reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NpJ_afFukQ
A button attacks
A-A-A: Double handed kendo strike: starts at 5:45 Lucina uses a weak double handed kendo strike, from her left shoulder, to her opponent's right. She follows up with a second handed sword strike from the opposite side, and ends the combo with a left to right sword strike, that goes from low to mid (5:47).
A- forward: Turning strike: She turns her body counter clockwise and swings her sword with two hands in a mid to high slash.
A-up: Upward slash: Lucina simply slashes upward, with no stabbing motion, from 60 to 80 degrees.
A-down: One handed sword slash While crouching, Lucina will hold her sword just with her right hand. She slashes from right to left one, and one second press she stabs from left to right

Smash attacks
Forward: Brand of the Exalt: Her sword lights up as it charges and she does a double handed stab while standing still. Chrom also does the same. 10:04 to 10:10)
Down: Downfall: she goes into her default stance while crouching, and stabs once low, and then pivots and slashes with her right hand in the opposite direction from right to left. Chrom also does the same.
Up: Exaulted High: Lucina does her double handed sword stab at a 55 degree angle and continues to move her sword upward until it hits 90 degrees. Chrom also does the same.

Nair: Stab: She stabs forward with her sword, and then continues to cut with her sword downward until she hit
Fair: Spinning strike: she spins in the air, and strikes from her right shoulder to her left hip (5:48)
Dair: Flipping Blade: Lucina flips downward and hits a double handed strike while 270 degrees into her flip. has a downward arc Seen at 6:28.
Bair: Turning strike: she turns in the air, beginning her strike mid through the air, but its a front slash

Grab + A: hits her opponent with the bottom of her right hilt.
Grab up: throws her opponent up, and stabs them with the sword with a completely 90 degree stab
Grab down: stabs her opponent with her sword, and then places down in a lying position
Grab forward: throws her opponent forward, and then hits them with a slash
Grab back: throws her opponent backward, and then hits them with a turning slash
Lucina Specials:
Neutral Special: Defender
It occurs at about 4:10.
Lucina quickly puts her sword behind her back. She then turns around and swings around her sword, and strikes anyone behind with one clean cut. This defends against projectiles with the first part of the move. The move does not have a lot of knockback to knock out, but gives Lucina some space. It's one continuous cut so she ends up facing the same side as when she started the attack. But she stands for a little bit, living her vulnerable to attacks in front of her while performing the move..
Side: Blue Aether - Lucina moves forward, stabbing the opponent with a one handed sword strike using the top edge of her Falchion. It has blue flames. She runs low and disappears for a second, allowing her to dodge high attacks and projectiles. (seen at 5:57) If Chrom is around her, he will do the move as well.
Up: Galeforce (Or Gale Strike to not canonize her as a daughter of a dark flier) - Lucina jumps forward with a double handed sword strike. If she hits an opponent, she jumps off them and flips in the air, allowing her to jump again, much like Captain Falcon. (seen at 6:01, minus the second jump)
Down: Counter - Like every other Fire Emblem character. However, should they be around each other,Chrom does the block and Lucina does the counter attack.

Lucina's Taunts:
Up Taunt: She stands and looks at her Falchion straight. She lights up along with her Falchion and says "I challenge my fate"
side taunts:She puts on her mask with her left hand and says "You may call me.. Marth," subtley distinguishing her voice. Then she puts way her mask and say "No more" in her normal voice.
down taunts: With Chrom, they point their swords together together. If Chrom is not around, Lucina just does the taunt by herself.

Chrom Moveset:
A button attacks
A-A-A: Double handed kendo strike: starts at 5:45 Chrom uses a weak double handed kendo strike, from his left shoulder, to his opponent's right. He follows up with a second handed sword strike from the opposite side, and ends the combo with a left to right sword strike, that goes from low to mid (5:47 [based on Lucina]).
A- forward: Turning strike: He turns her body counter clockwise and swings his sword with two hands in a mid to high slash.
A-up: Upward slash: Chrom slashes from his left hip to the right side in an upward direction.
A-down: One handed sword slash: While crouching, Chom slashes from right to left one, and a second press he stabs from left to right

Smash attacks
Forward: Shepherd's Blade: Standing still, Chrom slashes his sword with a doublehanded side slash. The sword has blue flames (3:30). Lucina also does the same.
Down: Fallen Flames. Chrom does a slash on both sides with blue flames. Lucina also does the same.
Up: Rise of the Exault: Chrom charges blue flames at his side, and hit an upward one handed slash with blue flames. Lucina also does the same.

Nair: Slash: he slashes forward with his sword.
Fair: Spinning strike: he spins in the air, and strikes from his right shoulder to her left hip (5:48 [Lucina])
Dair: Double handed slash. Chrom unleashes a two handed sword strike, from up to down. Seen at 5:40.
Bair: Turning strike: he turns in the air, beginning his strike mid through the air, but its a front slash

Grab + A: hits the opponent with his elbow.
Grab up: throws the opponent up, and slashes the opponent.
Grab down: Throw his opponent down, then does a downward stab, with his cape waving in the background.
Grab forward: throws the opponent forward, and then hits them with a slash
Grab back: throws her opponent backward, and then hits them with a back slash

Chrom Specials:
Neutral Special: Rightful King
Chrom stabs the sword into the ground with one hand, with fully waving cape behind him. Can be charged (Like prior to his battle animations in Awakening).
Side: Blue Aether - Chrom moves forward, stabbing the opponent with a one handed sword strike using the top edge of his Falchion. It has blue flames. He runs upright and is invincible during the move, but takes damage. (seen at 5:57). If Lucina is around him, she will do the move as well.
Up: Divine Crash: Chrom waves his sword around really quickly, and jumps high in the air,, and does a downward two handed stab (with blue flame (seen at 3:40). Chrom only does damage on the way down but is invincible prior. Jumps high than Lucina, but doesn't get a second jump.
Down: Counter - Like every other Fire Emblem character. However, should they be around each other, Lucina does the block and Chrom does the counter attack.

Chrom Taunts:
Up: Chrom hold his sword up and says: "Your end has come!"
Side: He points his sword forward and proclaims "Anything can change!"
Down: With Lucina, they point their swords together. If Lucina is not around, Chrom just does the taunt by himself.

Awakening Lords Entrance:
Both Lords arrive via warp spells (rescue in awakening). Chrom does his waving cape and then unsheathes his sword should he be the main. Lucina pushes him aside with a light shove, saying "Stand aside father!" With Chrom responding quickly "Gladly," should she be the main.

Kirby Hat:
Marth Mask from the game, blue hair with it tied up for Lucina. Short blue hair and the mask for Chrom.

Autumn ♫

The moveset in the OP is a bit lacking to be honest.

When I try to imagine the aerials, I can't help but think of circus performers. :p
I'll add Jaytalk's moveset once the edit button starts working on me. My computer isn't that good. Also Congratulations on becoming a Moderator!
Chrom and Lucina now that guy who made the rumor now said chrom and Lucina are confirmed as a duo its just a rumor for now will it be fake we don't know
There's a rumor with them being playable? Haven't heard that one I guess.

@tomic

Smash Apprentice
Even if they do fix the IC issues, I'm not sure how willing the team would be to compound on their difficulties by adding an additional dual character. I suppose it depends on what solution they come up with and how complicated or simple it is (and it isn't just making Popo go solo).

It's an interesting idea that reflects Awakening's mechanics though. Also nicely gets around the issue of whether to include Lucina or Chrom, so I can see how it's desirable. Wouldn't mind seeing it myself provided it works well.

Hong

The Strongest
None of the movesets above in my opinion really make the most out of the potential of these two characters as a duo.

I think the problem with transforming characters thus far is that no matter what, players are going to prefer a "main". They want a particular play style or sometimes a particular character for a certain match up. Sheik players for example never switch to Zelda unless it's their last stock and want to use Farore's Wind as a last-ditch effort to recover, you don't want to switch to Zelda and you shouldn't have to. There is nothing wrong with players preferring one character over another, but I feel the character will be more fun if no matter who you choose, both of them share the spotlight.

I would have a setup like Fire Emblem Awakening where Chrom or Lucina is to the side and not directly involved with combat, like Pokemon Trainer in Brawl. The key here is that all the special attacks involve who ever is on the sideline, so they are always a part of the fight. The specials of the character are dictated by who is on point and who is supporting. I should add that if you issue a command that involves the supporting character and they are far away (whether it's a moving stage or the fighter is airborne), they simply warp in the correct position. Gameplay first, realism second.

I didn't create a full moveset for either as it is not necessary to illustrate my point. Generally Chrom is the stronger and heavier character, while Lucina is more about reach and agility, being more optimal for combos.

B: Dual Strike
As Chrom: Lucina slides in and does a multi-hitting thrust attack. This does not have a lot of knokback, but comes out almost instantly and the multi-hitting nature helps to offset Chrom's slower attacks.
As Lucina: Chrom jumps into the fray with a powerful leap attack. It is easy to see coming and avoid but packs a punch. Lucina will want to use her combo-centric attacks as a setup, using this as a finisher.

B Forward: Javelin
The leading character throws a javelin. Chrom's javelin is faster and less affected by gravity, while Lucina's javelin has a bit a of a spiral added to it and strikes multiple times. Only one javelin can be active at a time, as neither are designed to be zoning characters.

Using the Switch special on connection allows the supporting character to jump in with a sword attack at the point of impact.

B Up: Aether
Regardless of who is on point, both characters use the Aether like that of previous entries, though if varies a bit per character.

Chrom's Aether is more traditional and covers more height instead of distance. Upon landing on the ground, Chrom will do a backward flip slice by hitting the B button again, like Ike does in the Tellius games.
Lucina's Aether is more about distance than height and her sword spins on a sideways axis (as seen in Forseer.), but does not strike on the way up. Hitting B again after landing can cancel the lag into a strong horizontal slice.

Entering the Switch command immediately after Aether has the supporting character place their sword in the ground, jump in and catch the sword instead of the character on point, allowing an aerial switch.

B Down: Switch
The character on point and the supporting character switch places. They are invincible while absent, but momentarily vulnerable when they step in. You can press B during the switch to attack while coming in, but it makes the entrance a bit more laggy.

Of course the final smash and throws can all use both characters, but whole idea is both of them should always be engaged, while at the same time you don't get the baggage of two characters mimicking each other. It is about timing and working together, and no matter whether you prefer Lucina or Chrom, they are both part of a team.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
None of the movesets above in my opinion really make the most out of the potential of these two characters as a duo.

I think the problem with transforming characters thus far is that no matter what, players are going to prefer a "main". They want a particular play style or sometimes a particular character for a certain match up. Sheik players for example never switch to Zelda unless it's their last stock and want to use Farore's Wind as a last-ditch effort to recover, you don't want to switch to Zelda and you shouldn't have to. There is nothing wrong with players preferring one character over another, but I feel the character will be more fun if no matter who you choose, both of them share the spotlight.

I would have a setup like Fire Emblem Awakening where Chrom or Lucina is to the side and not directly involved with combat, like Pokemon Trainer in Brawl. The key here is that all the special attacks involve who ever is on the sideline, so they are always a part of the fight. The specials of the character are dictated by who is on point and who is supporting. I should add that if you issue a command that involves the supporting character and they are far away (whether it's a moving stage or the fighter is airborne), they simply warp in the correct position. Gameplay first, realism second.

I didn't create a full moveset for either as it is not necessary to illustrate my point. Generally Chrom is the stronger and heavier character, while Lucina is more about reach and agility, being more optimal for combos.

B: Dual Strike
As Chrom: Lucina slides in and does a multi-hitting thrust attack. This does not have a lot of knokback, but comes out almost instantly and the multi-hitting nature helps to offset Chrom's slower attacks.
As Lucina: Chrom jumps into the fray with a powerful leap attack. It is easy to see coming and avoid but packs a punch. Lucina will want to use her combo-centric attacks as a setup, using this as a finisher.

B Forward: Javelin
The leading character throws a javelin. Chrom's javelin is faster and less affected by gravity, while Lucina's javelin has a bit a of a spiral added to it and strikes multiple times. Only one javelin can be active at a time, as neither are designed to be zoning characters.

Using the Switch special on connection allows the supporting character to jump in with a sword attack at the point of impact.

B Up: Aether
Regardless of who is on point, both characters use the Aether like that of previous entries, though if varies a bit per character.

Chrom's Aether is more traditional and covers more height instead of distance. Upon landing on the ground, Chrom will do a backward flip slice by hitting the B button again, like Ike does in the Tellius games.
Lucina's Aether is more about distance than height and her sword spins on a sideways axis (as seen in Forseer.), but does not strike on the way up. Hitting B again after landing can cancel the lag into a strong horizontal slice.

Entering the Switch command immediately after Aether has the supporting character place their sword in the ground, jump in and catch the sword instead of the character on point, allowing an aerial switch.

B Down: Switch
The character on point and the supporting character switch places. They are invincible while absent, but momentarily vulnerable when they step in. You can press B during the switch to attack while coming in, but it makes the entrance a bit more laggy.

Of course the final smash and throws can all use both characters, but whole idea is both of them should always be engaged, while at the same time you don't get the baggage of two characters mimicking each other. It is about timing and working together, and no matter whether you prefer Lucina or Chrom, they are both part of a team.
I am probably the only Smash fan that prefers FE characters retain counter, and I think switching between the characters would be too complicated and potentially over powering, so I would prefer their change being triggered by their Final Smash. The Pokemon Trainer dynamic wouldn't work because Pokemon trainer stays relatively stationary, while the partner in this scenario needs to move. Not every stage has a place where the partner character could conceivable go in the background, and keeping up with the main as a result would be maddening considering the pace the characters move. What would happen to the partner character if the main character got knocked really far across the stage? Does that person inexplicably move with them in the background, or do they follow them awkwardly running at a slower pace?. As a result, it wouldn't really mimic the pair up mechanic.

I also think that a sword fighter should stick to just swords. Although I wouldn't mind it they had they had a javelin, I'm convinced by others' arguments that promotions technically aren't canon (in the sense that they don't usually appear in cutscenes) so I prefer not use them as well. I would not have a problem with them but I try not to incorporate them in movesets. I also wouldn't have a problem with them having the same fighting styles and mimicking each other moves. There's a good reason for them to fight similar within the context of the game. I agree with differentiating them as Lucina being the lighter character whose strong on combos while Chrom is the stronger, heavier character.

But I like the differences you have made with the characters' moves.

Hong

The Strongest
I am probably the only Smash fan that prefers FE characters retain counter
My Switch ability still allows you to fulfill the needs of Counter, spiritually. It was a deliberate effort of mine, because I like Counter as well.

and I think switching between the characters would be too complicated
Not at all. You only have two characters to track, and only one of them are being controlled at a time, where as the other follows commands in the predictable fashion. Nowhere near as complicated as, say, Olimar, where every Pikmin has different effects and it can be easy to lose track of their number and order.
and potentially over powering
If you mean "overpowered" as in the elements of fighting together is over emphasized, I think it would be doing myriads better than many of the special attacks that are not even used at all.

if you mean "Imbalanced", that is a bit silly to say. It is easy to tweak the numbers, range and properties of the skills to make it fair. In the case of my Dual Strike, it trades off the immediate benefit from an attack that works when you need it (like firing a missile or swinging a hammer), for something that can be strong if you time it well with your partner. It has strengths and weaknesses. It has the mechanisms easy to modify in order to arrive at a fair balance.
The Pokemon Trainer dynamic wouldn't work because Pokemon trainer stays relatively stationary, while the partner in this scenario needs to move. Not every stage has a place where the partner character could conceivable go in the background, and keeping up with the main as a result would be maddening considering the pace the characters move. What would happen to the partner character if the main character got knocked really far across the stage? Does that person inexplicably move with them in the background, or do they follow them awkwardly running at a slower pace?
As my post stated, they would simply warp into place when needed for a particular command. It's not that crazy; Ice Climbers do that for Belay, and if the specials all have proper audio and visual cues it will easy for beginners to understand what is going on.

Although I wouldn't mind it they had they had a javelin, I'm convinced by others' arguments that promotions technically aren't canon (in the sense that they don't usually appear in cutscenes) so I prefer not use them as well. I would not have a problem with them but I try not to incorporate them in movesets
Gameplay comes first, within reason of course. By that philosophy, the Villager would never have happened. His Balloon Fighter recovery really makes the most out of how far you can stretch a character for the sake of something that is fun and has something to offer. We shouldn't overcomplicate what characters may or may not have done in their original stories compared to what they do in Smash Bros, since they are not even the same characters per se (usually dolls or trophies). Like, if they were to make an Mother 2 sequel that takes place right after Mother 2 but not Mother 3, I wouldn't play the game and expect Ness to have PK Starstorm, Thunder or Fire.

I couldn't, for example, see Ike using a tome, but if you have an idea for a move that really has something interesting to offer to the gameplay, is iconic and doesn't distort the character too far, it's fine. I would even be alright with Robin pulling out a Warp Staff for her recovery if it offered a unique move that no one else could capture.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
My Switch ability still allows you to fulfill the needs of Counter, spiritually. It was a deliberate effort of mine, because I like Counter as well.

Not at all. You only have two characters to track, and only one of them are being controlled at a time, where as the other follows commands in the predictable fashion. Nowhere near as complicated as, say, Olimar, where every Pikmin has different effects and it can be easy to lose track of their number and order.If you mean "overpowered" as in the elements of fighting together is over emphasized, I think it would be doing myriads better than many of the special attacks that are not even used at all.

if you mean "Imbalanced", that is a bit silly to say. It is easy to tweak the numbers, range and properties of the skills to make it fair. In the case of my Dual Strike, it trades off the immediate benefit from an attack that works when you need it (like firing a missile or swinging a hammer), for something that can be strong if you time it well with your partner. It has strengths and weaknesses. It has the mechanisms easy to modify in order to arrive at a fair balance.
As my post stated, they would simply warp into place when needed for a particular command. It's not that crazy; Ice Climbers do that for Belay, and if the specials all have proper audio and visual cues it will easy for beginners to understand what is going on.

Gameplay comes first, within reason of course. By that philosophy, the Villager would never have happened. His Balloon Fighter recovery really makes the most out of how far you can stretch a character for the sake of something that is fun and has something to offer. We shouldn't overcomplicate what characters may or may not have done in their original stories compared to what they do in Smash Bros, since they are not even the same characters per se (usually dolls or trophies). Like, if they were to make an Mother 2 sequel that takes place right after Mother 2 but not Mother 3, I wouldn't play the game and expect Ness to have PK Starstorm, Thunder or Fire.

I couldn't, for example, see Ike using a tome, but if you have an idea for a move that really has something interesting to offer to the gameplay, is iconic and doesn't distort the character too far, it's fine. I would even be alright with Robin pulling out a Warp Staff for her recovery if it offered a unique move that no one else could capture.
It's good to see someone who also likes counter.

I don't mean complicated for the player. I meant for design purposes, but that may have not been the right word. And potentially overpowering if they can switch anywhere at any time like Zelda. There has to be a clear trade off and risk to switching, and clear circumstances they can do it. I don't think they should be able to strike with the switch. I think that switching should only be done on the ground.

If I remember correctly, the Ice Climbers don't warp necessarily or really in the instances that I'm talking about. Popo will throw the motion but it will be ineffective if Nana is not around. If they warped, it would be harder to separate them than it is with the ice climbers, because they could just do that command and just warp. And I was referring to the Pokemon Trainer's place visually, as some stages required for him to be on a stationary platform (like a moving stage such as Delfino Plaza and Port Town Aero Drive.

That is just a personal preference for me. As I said, I don't have a problem with taking artistic license. It's just how I approach movesets. I would not have a problem with Lucina or Chrom using lances, or even Robin with a warp staff (I have a post for the Robin thread).

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
People seem to agree more about a Chrom/Lucina duo recently, thanks to Rosalina and her uniqueness. I personally think it's the only way for Chrom to be unique.
So I'll give all my support to this duo now.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
In the end, we can all agree that combining the two protagonists of this recent Fire Emblem game would be the best option of making them both unique a la Pair Up mechanics.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
In the end, we can all agree that combining the two protagonists of this recent Fire Emblem game would be the best option of making them both unique a la Pair Up mechanics.
There are more than two protagonists, more than 20 actually.
The two main protagonists are Chrom and Robin. Lucina is more like the 3rd main character. This means nothing, of course, in terms of which pair is more likely to playable.

I made a moveset for a Chrom & Robin duo involving the Dual Support system:

I've seen a few ideas about how they would work as a tag team (IC style, "transformation" style and one that was more unique, that had the off member stay in background [like PT] much like how they do in the game during Dual Support). So I've come up with something using the Dual Support style that I don't think has been suggested. Dual Support allows for the off teammate to block an attack or add an attack during the battling teammate's moves. I think this idea should be transferred to smash. The basic idea is that the off teammate could be used to extend a combo or as a combo breaker.
They would share the same Down Special:

- Down Special: Dual Support!
This move switches the active fighter between Chrom & Robin. However, using this move can extend a combo. When inputted during the end of an attack, the off teammate will tag in with an attack. (For example: Chrom lands a hit, and then Robin jumps in striking with a spell. Then Robin is free to launch a projectile after the opponent who, is presumably, being knocked away. The offensive switch will offer no invulnerability frames. A defensive switch turns the move into a pseudo-counter: when inputted while being hit by an opponent the off teammate will switch-in and defend, there will be some invulnerability frames on that. Both the offensive and defensive switch will have a cooldown time. When input not during an attack or while being hit they simply switch places very quickly, the quickest switch in game; no invulnerability frames.
I thought this was worth mentioning in this topic as well.
Anyone is welcome to use this idea in their moveset for a Chrom & Lucina duo.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Yeah, Chrom and Lucina are already the two most popular FE:A characters, why not make them a duo for the best of both worlds. It makes sense canon-wise with the pair-up system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom