• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Wait, you mean it should be up live now?
Bc I still see the old one.
No, I meant that the old poll on this thread should be changed. I am neither the OP of this thread nor do I have the power to change it. (Teeb has already tagged Nekoo (the OP) to change it.

I think most people will be good with this list:

1. Geno
  2. Sora
  3. Sephiroth
  4. Crono
  5. Lara Croft
  6. 2B
  7. Terra
  8. Mana series character
  9. Another FF character ( Black Mage, Tifa, etc)
  10. Deux Ex character (JC Denton/Adam Jensen)
  11. Agnes Oblige
  12. Neku
    Other
That's a nice list for an updated poll.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman

1. Geno
  2. Sora
  3. Sephiroth
  4. Crono
  5. Lara Croft
  6. 2B
  7. Terra
  8. Mana series character
  11. Agnes Oblige
  12. Neku
    Other
Theres a bit of clean up that can be done with that list
  1. Geno
  2. Sora
  3. New FF Character (Sephiroth, Terra, Black Mage, etc.)
  4. Crono
  5. Lara Croft
  6. Mana Series Character
  7. Other (2B, Deux Ex, Agnes Oblige, Neku, etc.)
I think this makes a list more comprehensible, although it puts 2B and Neku in 'Other' it gets more to the point and leaves discussion open after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
  1. Geno
  2. Sora
  4. Crono
  5. Lara Croft
  6. Mana Series Character
I think this makes a list more comprehensible, although it puts 2B and Neku in 'Other' it gets more to the point and leaves discussion open after voting.
Well, I'd like to see the exact amount of people that vote for 2b, agnes, neku, and all that, seems interesting to me, so it might seem like simplifying with only 7 but actually it's less detailed if we put it like that, and there really isn't much reason to limit to 7 characters anymore. This can be just a general SE thread now. At least that's my thoughts on it.

i.e. with so many pages, the conversation on specific ones would get lost to some people.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Sora is a big time contender, so I definitely think it's better to let people vote for him, especially since the way it's heading it could be about who we'd like to have in. I also think that lots of people will say disney would be ok with it. who knows.
The poll isn't up yet, but I messaged Nekoo Nekoo about it.

1. Geno
  2. Sora
  3. Sephiroth
  4. Crono
  5. Lara Croft
  6. 2B
  7. Terra
  8. Mana series character
  11. Agnes Oblige
  12. Neku
    Other
I don't think he is a contender because he is not competing with neither of those chars. He is a Disney character, and the legal procedure to get him works differently from the rest of the pack. Him getting in won't affect the chances of any of the true SE chars. Putting Sora will be a bit of a bonus, but it won't be really telling anything regarding SE chars themselves.

1. Geno
  2. Sora
  4. Crono
  5. Lara Croft
  6. Mana Series Character
Her list makes more sense, given how they are organized by franchises, unless the char is too popular to be grouped in his/her own franchise group (as in, Sephiroth and Terra)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Tifa is relatively popular, but i havent seen her talked about much for smash, and even our support page hasn't even made it past the first page yet.

In any case, she's less popular for smash than Sephiroth and Terra, and then there's the other characters people like from ff, I think having more than 3 options for a franchise is a bit much, so because there's even more people would like, i think it just makes sense to make the 3rd option be general for the rest.

If the mana series were talked about for smash more, I think Randi, Liz, Duran, and Angela are the most popular characters. (The last 3 are from Trials of Mana). But i dont it's worth having them listed individually in the poll.

I don't think he is a contender because he is not competing with neither of those chars. He is a Disney character, and the legal procedure to get him works differently from the rest of the pack. Him getting in won't affect the chances of any of the true SE chars. Putting Sora will be a bit of a bonus, but it won't be really telling anything regarding SE chars themselves.

Her list makes more sense, given how they are organized by franchises, unless the char is too popular to be grouped in his/her own franchise group (as in, Sephiroth and Terra)
It's at least a little bit debatable since disney didn't just contract SE, as far as I know, and there's maybe a grey area for intellectual rights since SE designed the character.

I found this tweet that says it's both: https://twitter.com/rogersbase/status/975413324442554370?lang=en

And then some other people say it wouldn't necessarily be hard to work with disney. So I don't know, I think it's worth keeping sora there, but people could chime in if they have more info :O

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Tifa is relatively popular, but i havent seen her talked about much for smash, and even our support page hasn't even made it past the first page yet.

In any case, she's less popular for smash than Sephiroth and Terra, and then there's the other characters people like from ff, I think having more than 3 options for a franchise is a bit much, so because there's even more people would like, i think it just makes sense to make the 3rd option be general for the rest.

If the mana series were talked about for smash more, I think Randi, Liz, Duran, and Angela are the most popular characters. (The last 3 are from Trials of Mana). But i dont it's worth having them listed individually in the poll.

It's at least a little bit debatable since disney didn't just contract SE, as far as I know, and there's maybe a grey area for intellectual rights since SE designed the character.

I found this tweet that says it's both: https://twitter.com/rogersbase/status/975413324442554370?lang=en

And then some other people say it wouldn't necessarily be hard to work with disney. So I don't know, I think it's worth keeping sora there, but people could chime in if they have more info :O
I wish Tifa had more support. :(
She is definitely a Smash-worthy character.

Yeah, you nailed the Mana chars. I love Randi. :3

The Sora situation is this:
The series was planned and conceived by FF creator Hironobu Sakaguchi and SE producer Shinji Hashimoto.
Their pitch was to make a series that could match the appeal of Super Mario 64, so they thought Disney character would be the perfect idea to match with their IP to reach that goal. With Disney's approval and contracts signed, KH was born, with SE developing the games and story, while the OCs are owned by Disney, with art owned by Nomura.
Disney previously expressed that they would be fine with Sora in Smash, and all that they would need is Nomura's approval. And they made it clear, this is done out of respect for Nomura, given that they could easily do whatever they want with Sora and other OCs, but they don't bc they want good relations with SE, specially Nomura. It is the very reason you see the concerts going around that are basically sprankled with Disney's name and copyrights, rather than SE's.
And I seriously doubt Nomura would decline the offer.

I think A.G.L. A.G.L. would be the best man to get even more info on it

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896

Thanks for the mention MajoraMan28 MajoraMan28 :).

So it’s actually Disney that owns Sora and Kingdom Hearts properties. Disney is a bit of an interesting mix given they are not a gaming company. And they no longer own a gaming studio of their own that they can pass off decisions to (Disney Interactive & Square Enix made KH1 & 2 together). Disney Interactive has been disbanded, and Disney now trusts gaming studios more to call the shots since they don’t do gaming themselves. Disney can be difficult to work with, if they don’t see it worth their time or if they don’t get something back in return. Keep in mind right now Disney’s entertainment department is quite busy dealing with the Fox merger. So they might not want to deal with Sora being in Smash. Then again we have to keep in mind that Disney has been putting much more freedom with their gaming partners to make decisions since they don’t have a gaming studio of their own, and the last Disney pushed tanked (Disney Infinity) which led to Disney Interactive being downsized and being left in charge of Jam City (a mobile gaming company).

Needless to say Disney puts a lot of trust in their gaming partners since their own entrepreneurship in the gaming industry did not work out well for them. They pretty much let their partners have free range as long as they stick to Disney rules.

So in the case with Sora the Vice President of Disney Japan said in an interview with HMK a YouTuber who covers mostly Kingdom Hearts and Zelda games. That Disney is open to the idea of having Sora in Smash. Also Nomura and Square have a lot of freedom when it comes to Sora. Because Disney recognizes how much Sora and Kingdom Hearts mean to Nomura and Square Enix.

Now let’s keep in mind Disney has done crossovers with their characters in games before. Wreck it Ralph was in Sonic & All Stars Racing. Thanos was in Fortnite, and we can’t forget Disney allowed Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 to be a Nintendo exclusive game. So they can be reasoned with. It just depends if Disney, Nintendo, Nomura, Sakurai, and Square Enix can all come to an agreement (I say Nomura because Disney likes to bring him in, when it comes to decisions regarding Kingdom Hearts).

The problem with Sora is it’s hard to dissociate him from Disney properties. Even his keyblade charm has a Mickey Emblem. Now this could be removed or the Kingdom key changed for another keyblade. However given that Sakurai likes to keep characters as close to how they are in their own games. This may present a problem. Also adding Disney characters in Smash even if just as a taunt or part of a moveset will open a whole can of worms. Because people will take it as a sign that Goku or Shrek can now be in Smash. So it’s definitely a very tricky situation when it comes to Sora. Either they’ll have to completely dissociate him from Disney including possibly changing his keyblade or Sakurai and Nintendo will have to add Disney references.

In a interview with Sakurai recently he addressed this situation. I will link the tweet and translation below. It’s important to note Sakurai says “basically Smash will only have content from video games in it”. However he doesn’t outright say it will not have any content that is not video game related. So it is possible Sora could come with some slight references to Disney.

Lastly with KH3’s secret ending, it does seem like Disney is giving a lot creative control to Square Enix. Even possibly allowing Sora to be in a game with little to no Disney references.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I know this is random, but just for fun, this poll has been circulating Discord servers.
You vote not on the char you want the most necessarily, but you keep voting between two random choices from the available candidates.
I personally like this method, because it goes more for approval rating than the raw list of most wanted by each person. It's interesting to take a look at least in what most people are ok with or want.
It's at around 85k votes at the moment of me writting this post, which each vote being counted by round that comes up.

http://allourideas.org/smashudlc/results?all=true

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I know this is random, but just for fun, this poll has been circulating Discord servers.
You vote not on the char you want the most necessarily, but you keep voting between two random choices from the available candidates.
I personally like this method, because it goes more for approval rating than the raw list of most wanted by each person. It's interesting to take a look at least in what most people are ok with or want.
It's at around 85k votes at the moment of me writting this post, which each vote being counted by round that comes up.

http://allourideas.org/smashudlc/results?all=true
While it has 85k votes, it seems the unique user sessions are just about 700-1,000.

Still interesting, though.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
While it has 85k votes, it seems the unique user sessions are just about 700-1,000.

Still interesting, though.
I'm not sure someone is willing to click 100 times, but it should be around 1-2.5k voters as of now.

And a reminder: approval rating is not an indicative of popularity in the most wanted lists.
It just means that those that appear in the most wanted lists are the ones whose fans are most of the people that are part of the ones that comprise said approval rating.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
All you have to do is skip the votes until you get to one with your character. It's pretty easy to manipulate.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
All you have to do is skip the votes until you get to one with your character. It's pretty easy to manipulate.
In order to "skip" you need to choose one of a number of options, and specific answers give different "points" to the two candidates in question.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
In order to "skip" you need to choose one of a number of options, and specific answers give different "points" to the two candidates in question.
I'm not sure if it really does give different points depending on what you pick, but if it does, that's even worse. Just pick "I don't like either." Vote down all the characters except the ones you want.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if it really does give different points depending on what you pick, but if it does, that's even worse. Just pick "I don't like either." Vote down all the characters except the ones you want.
Voting down all characters doesn't improve rating for your favorite character. This analyses the approval rating of each individual character, and if you don't manage to find enough MUs with your char in it, you won't affect much in the percentage of your char. Remember that this is a poll based on numerous MUs, and each character gets some votes per person. You're changing at best 0.5% of the rating, if you stay there spamming for hours on end.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
You know, I imagine the names heard the most by leakers sources are something to be taken with a grain of salt, but I do find weird how Hero didn't drop with a Crono mii costume if he was one of the characters mentioned the most by insiders (which in itself could be considered strange given how dead the Chrono series is and that I don't see as much support for it compared to Geno but that's probably a matter of where I'm looking more than anything). I suppose there's more copyright complications behind mii costumes than I can imagine, but that just kinda felt like the perfect supplementary material to drop with Hero, being another Toriyama designed character and whatnot.
I'm not counting on another SE rep happening, but I do think things get more complicated on who would be the next character of coice now that DQ is represented, double so if Sora is considered a Disney rep rather than SE.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Has the title always been The Sevens Squares? I just noticed and it's really bothering me for no real reason.

D

Deleted member

You know, I imagine the names heard the most by leakers sources are something to be taken with a grain of salt, but I do find weird how Hero didn't drop with a Crono mii costume if he was one of the characters mentioned the most by insiders (which in itself could be considered strange given how dead the Chrono series is and that I don't see as much support for it compared to Geno but that's probably a matter of where I'm looking more than anything). I suppose there's more copyright complications behind mii costumes than I can imagine, but that just kinda felt like the perfect supplementary material to drop with Hero, being another Toriyama designed character and whatnot.
I'm not counting on another SE rep happening, but I do think things get more complicated on who would be the next character of coice now that DQ is represented, double so if Sora is considered a Disney rep rather than SE.
I would say that along Chrono, there would possibly be 2B, Randi from the Mana series and you could add characters like Lara Croft and Adam Jensen/JC Denton to the mix as well.
Has the title always been The Sevens Squares? I just noticed and it's really bothering me for no real reason.
Not to mention that pretty much half the list got in the game already.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
So, if we get another char, who do you expect as candidates?
I legit think it's the remaining 3 SE chars from the list of 6 (Sora is Disney, come on).
2B may be a last minute request, but I think it'll resume to and Sephiroth, Geno, Chrono

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I don‘t care, Square still makes the games. Disney’s only handling of Kingdom Hearts is the use of the Disney-made characters. Sora’s still got a shot, even if it’s not as big as other candidates.
You completely misunderstood my point. I meant that we`re talking about SE chars, not Disney.
And you`re factually incorrect. All OCs, including Sora, are Disney chars. Sora is legally Disney. Nothing KH is SE. They are only the game devs.
Sora does have a very good shot exactly bc he has no competition. All it takes is Disney approving

Geno.
that's honestly it
Nice
I personally think it`s Sephiroth

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
You completely misunderstood my point. I meant that we`re talking about SE chars, not Disney.
And you`re factually incorrect. All OCs, including Sora, are Disney chars. Sora is legally Disney. Nothing KH is SE. They are only the game devs.
Sora does have a very good shot exactly bc he has no competition. All it takes is Disney approving
I never said KH-original content wasn’t Disney. I said Disney only handles the use if THEIR characters during the DEVELOPMENT of a KH game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The only time SE would be relevant is for Sakurai to get some help from them on how to make the character work. Or some Final Fantasy cameos at best.

Everything else is 100% Disney. They own the character, and all the Disney elements he comes with, which may be as small as his keychain, but could be other cameos that need to be licensed.

They'd both be involved, but Disney's the far more important bit.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
Honestly they'll probably have geno a special mii costume for mii just like sans and cuphead

Heoj

Smash Ace
The only square characters that i think have a shot is geno and 2b, as well as sora but hes disney however i srill think its worth throwing him here. Of these three inthink geno is the most likely.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Hahaha. Been a long time, huh guys? Miss this crazy ass thread. Sad about Geno, but happy that out of all the Squenix 7, Seph is the one who knocked him out. Great and iconic choice that I never saw coming.

To y'all who stood by Seph all the way back during this thread, I salute you. Hope you have fun with this awesome pick.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
It turns out, the two options with the least votes were the real winners.
Just like how Valve picks Team Fortress 2 workshop items lol

For real though, glad to see this thread kicking again. Both Hero and Sephiroth are cool. Guess I have until next Thursday to see if Geno will be eliminated as a Mii Costume or not. I think it can go either way, it mainly depends on how much FF Sakurai has been given to work with. It might be extremely likely that every character on this list is going to be featured as a character or a Mii Costume. Wouldn't that be crazy?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't know how much it'll 'kick' here. Doubt we'll have another SE rep now that Seph is in.

Definitely not expected!

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
It feels like a giant irony that we discussed the idea of making a new Square character poll. Turns out we didn't need to make one at all.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am very happy with the Square Enix characters in Smash.

2 Final Fantasy and 1 (4?) Dragon Quest characters!!

Sakurai really knew how to pick the characters who would make many people on both sides of the Pacific hyped.

Cloud in SSB4... and then Luminary from DQ11, Erdrick from DQ3, Eight from DQ8, and Solo from DQ4... and now Sephiroth!

I hope the next Smash will add Slime, Crono, Randi (Secret of Mana), Lara Croft (with her PSOne design), and/or Sora, if Disney, Square Enix, and Nintendo can work it out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom