• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
you can have rushed and cut experiences in an episodic format too. splitting up a story into multiple parts doesn't immaculate you against that.

wtf is the google theory?

EDIT: seems like its just the smash fanbase being dumb again
I would not call them "dumb", but more... getting naively hopeful if you get what I mean. Plus with how quiet it is with news, it's not so surprising that people are grasping for news/theories... I mean... just look at the supposed Rayman frozen in Battlefield thing.

Apart from PushDustin showing how its something that can be done relatively easy, It just feels out of place given how inconsistent it is with some people seeing it and others don't. Plus, unless Nintendo revealing all the contents of the fighter pass early, it just seems unlikely that we would get all the fighters promoted so early.
I know. I still think it's fascinating on how long people would go to fool people. It´s good to see that people are more cautious about it after the Grinch leak at least, so you could say that some good came out of that one. Would laugh out loud if it was real though, considering it would be a surreal leak, I¨m not gonna lie.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, Smash DLC news isn't coming out all that fast and people are rabid for it. Any hint at anything will get people riled up. It's... actually rather normal to see. Problem is not every theory is good. This feels like the music theory all over again. Too circumstancial to take seriously.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Honestly, Smash DLC news isn't coming out all that fast and people are rabid for it. Any hint at anything will get people riled up. It's... actually rather normal to see. Problem is not every theory is good. This feels like the music theory all over again. Too circumstancial to take seriously.
Exactly. Especially when predicting Smash Bros characters is like indirect bingo wondering if you get the most right so to speak

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Man, I have been under a rock for a while.

First off....The trailer is beautiful! The English lip sync was a very nice surprise and looked really good. Personally do not mind the voices so far (Seriously? People are already complaining!? There is time for them to grow!) and the models...Look really nice and polished.
All though...
It is going to be reeeaaaallly tough to see Aerith's death in this one. Especially with how great the models are

Any road, we will be getting more news in June? There is so much going through my head with what that means. I share the sentiment with MajoraMan28 MajoraMan28 and (lowkey) wanting Sephiroth in.

A.G.L. A.G.L. This lines up well with the Square advertising. Drop a little teaser for a BIG, if not, the BIGGEST JRPG of all time. From the tweet, it seems we could see this game coming out sooner than we all thought. Of course, I could be reading to much into it, but I feel we could see this coming out Christmas time this year or Jan 2020.

What better way to hype the game than to advertise on Smash? Wishful thinking on my part, but dang...What a time to be alive!

Also, where was Tifa in that trailer!? She was in the party apparently during the gameplay, but no sign of her.

Could she...be Brave!?!? New design with the help of Sakurai!?!?!?:4pacman: (Big big sarcasm.)

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
It's the episodic release that sucks. They could suffice with multiple discs released at the same time.
i mean you're not wrong, but they confirmed the reason for it was also for them to release the game faster that way (i think that's mainly the reason in the end, otherwise what you say makes way more sense of course)

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896

First off....The trailer is beautiful! The English lip sync was a very nice surprise and looked really good. Personally do not mind the voices so far (Seriously? People are already complaining!? There is time for them to grow!) and the models...Look really nice and polished.
All though...
It is going to be reeeaaaallly tough to see Aerith's death in this one. Especially with how great the models are

Any road, we will be getting more news in June? There is so much going through my head with what that means. I share the sentiment with MajoraMan28 MajoraMan28 and (lowkey) wanting Sephiroth in.

A.G.L. A.G.L. This lines up well with the Square advertising. Drop a little teaser for a BIG, if not, the BIGGEST JRPG of all time. From the tweet, it seems we could see this game coming out sooner than we all thought. Of course, I could be reading to much into it, but I feel we could see this coming out Christmas time this year or Jan 2020.

What better way to hype the game than to advertise on Smash? Wishful thinking on my part, but dang...What a time to be alive!

Also, where was Tifa in that trailer!? She was in the party apparently during the gameplay, but no sign of her.

Could she...be Brave!?!? New design with the help of Sakurai!?!?!?:4pacman: (Big big sarcasm.)

I agree buddy! Right now the major talking point and focus for Square is the FF7 remake. So it does make a lot of sense they’ll want to push advertising for it, as FF7 is one of their top selling games globally. So the fact that Square may have bargained with Nintendo to put Sephiroth as their second rep is not really a stretch. It would be weird having two characters from the same series and game. As no other 3rd party has done this before(aside from Echos), but it’s not impossible. We have to keep in mind Square loves cross promotion and if they put in Sephiroth they’d definitely would be getting cross promotion, plus he’s globally popular. MajoraMan28 MajoraMan28 you just might get your wish :).

A8CE9763-7E5E-444E-8338-CCDAF71952E1.png

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
i mean you're not wrong, but they confirmed the reason for it was also for them to release the game faster that way (i think that's mainly the reason in the end, otherwise what you say makes way more sense of course)
It's just yet again, another example of Square not pacing or planning their release schedule well.

They could've waited to announce the game even existed honestly.

AugustusB

Smash Champion

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

All though...

Dude, I don't know if you understand the scope of what they accomplished in terms of Real Time Graphics. Many of that wasn't pre-rendered at all. It's absolutely stunning. I fell in love with Aerith all over again, loved the redesigns in general, and the artstyle. Although Cloud's iconic look didn't return, his expressions and personality seem to be surprisingly intact!!! Maintaining Cloud's character and story is my main concern, as the original character was the best written character in videogame history, imo.
And yeah, a lot of scenes will be even more intense this time around..
I don't know how I'll react seeing that scene again. This Aerith looks even more personal to Cloud, more involved, and the way she looks will keep many enchanted. Losing her will be an absolute pain.
Also, considering Midgar will be absolutely expanded, the destruction of Sector 7 might be even more shocking.
Even though it's confirmed to be released in parts, I can't wait to experience this. I bet 100% it will end after
you fight JENOVA for the first time on the ShinRa ship.
Just praying that the narrative isn't that butchered considering that they reveal Sephiroth way too early in the story (one of the main reasons he was so scary and threatening in the original was that you didn't see him, but instead only the death and destruction he left behind). And I hope the scenery isn't too reimagined. I want them to recapture the look and feel of the original prerendered backgrounds.
Also, yes, Tifa is being saved for E3. Maybe she won't be nerfed after all??? :O
The Internet has unanimously fallen in love with Aerith, so this is quite fun to see. I always thought both women were the prettiest in FF, but always had a prefference for Aerith. This is going to be a great experience.
Can anyone here imagine Nintendo remaking their 90s masterpieces in the same mold? Imagine a Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time Remakes... ;_;

And you don't imagine how much I want Seph in Smash even more after this. Sakurai will keep his classic look as well, I bet.

I agree buddy! Right now the major talking point and focus for Square is the FF7 remake. So it does make a lot of sense they’ll want to push advertising for it, as FF7 is one of their top selling games globally. So the fact that Square may have bargained with Nintendo to put Sephiroth as their second rep is not really a stretch. It would be weird having two characters from the same series and game. As no other 3rd party has done this before(aside from Echos), but it’s not impossible. We have to keep in mind Square loves cross promotion and if they put in Sephiroth they’d definitely would be getting cross promotion, plus he’s globally popular. MajoraMan28 MajoraMan28 you just might get your wish :).

View attachment 218880
I remembered quite clearly when you said last year about cross-promotions. I think he is more than likely at this point. If it's not Erdrick, it's Sephiroth 100%. Sakurai is also a fanboy of FFVII, so there is the bias to help as well. :4pacman: But seriously, I'm putting faith that he might be our Square rep.
You and AugustusB AugustusB 's post made me even more hyped by the likelihood of this, so I thank you. XP
I'm still cautious, but I'll lose my freaking **** if that eventually happens. Imagine getting all of that FFVII representation that we were missing. Imagine getting a representation on the same tier as Castlevania....

So, I have actually been thinking of actually getting FFVII ever since that last trailer came out. I don't plan on getting the remake(I don't have any PlayStation past the PS3), but I figured I could try out the original on Switch.

Also, this art has furthered that want to play.

Source:
https://mobile.twitter.com/click_burgundy/status/1126924146422603777
She looks adorable!! <3 Thanks for the art. X3
Please, play the original first. I still think the original will be better. And it will be better for you to understand the characters and the feel the impact of the tweaks the Remake will implement, be it good or bad. And don't give up. The Remake is very likely to come to Switch, even if downgraded.
After all, we know the game isn't exclusive.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

View attachment 218880
That is some fantastic fan art and makes me want it to be Sephiroth even more TBH (its Geno and Sephiroth for me when it comes to Square)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm not a fan of sephiroth at all, so it wouldn't be hype for me, but at least i'd know that MajoraMan28 MajoraMan28 would be happy. ;p

On another note, when I watched the FF7R trailer in japanese i much preferred the voices. I hope the english voice acting changes, tho it's not the most important, and if i can use japanese with english subs that could work for me.

I really wanna see what SE is working on, i hope they talk more about FF7R at e3 but also show some other new stuff :)

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Also, just a reflection here.

Sephiroth's inclusion would not only be extremely hype and almost universally received, but the best part of it is that it woud destroy every leak and theory out there across the board. The speculation would go wild and discussion would be set anew.

I really hope this happens...

I'm not a fan of sephiroth at all, so it wouldn't be hype for me, but at least i'd know that MajoraMan28 MajoraMan28 would be happy. ;p

On another note, when I watched the FF7R trailer in japanese i much preferred the voices. I hope the english voice acting changes, tho it's not the most important, and if i can use japanese with english subs that could work for me.

I really wanna see what SE is working on, i hope they talk more about FF7R at e3 but also show some other new stuff :)
I'm having a good time seeing how much of a reputation I created here. XD
I can't wait to see what Square is up to too!
And yeah, you can bet there will be japanese with eng subs. ^^

D

Deleted member

Also, just a reflection here.

Sephiroth's inclusion would not only be extremely hype and almost universally received, but the best part of it is that it woud destroy every leak and theory out there across the board. The speculation would go wild and discussion would be set anew.

I really hope this happens...

I'm having a good time seeing how much of a reputation I created here. XD
I can't wait to see what Square is up to too!
And yeah, you can bet there will be japanese with eng subs. ^^
How do you feel about Sephiroth’s voice in the trailer.

I saw people in the comments of it saying that it felt weird for them.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I heard something interesting. When the FFVII trailer came out, despite not being in the trailer besides the menu, apparently Tifa was talked about so much that she was trending on twitter! I can see a lot of discussion about her being made due to her lack of appearance, but that much? What were people talking about?

D

Deleted member

You know, I heard something interesting. When the FFVII trailer came out, despite not being in the trailer besides the menu, apparently Tifa was talked about so much that she was trending on twitter! I can see a lot of discussion about her being made due to her lack of appearance, but that much? What were people talking about?
I think that her name appeared in one of the battle menus shown in the trailer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I know, I did say she appeared in the menu(Though I guess I should have been more specific), I am just shocked it caused that much discussion and am curious of what that discussion was.
I'm glad i at least checked twitter just for fun and saw that people are wondering about her. I really want to see her, and looks like lots of people do as well. We only saw her name in a menu, so maybe people talking about that too. (and maybe hyped to see her sometime)
I saw a 3d design someone made while i was there, doesnt exactly look like her but still cool:

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I know, I did say she appeared in the menu(Though I guess I should have been more specific), I am just shocked it caused that much discussion and am curious of what that discussion was.
People are hyped all over the place, it's not just her what they are talking about. Of course, people are eager to see her at E3, such as other things and info we all are waiting for since forever.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'm glad i at least checked twitter just for fun and saw that people are wondering about her. I really want to see her, and looks like lots of people do as well. We only saw her name in a menu, so maybe people talking about that too. (and maybe hyped to see her sometime)
I saw a 3d design someone made while i was there, doesnt exactly look like her but still cool:
I think her design is playing a big factor in the talk, especially when it comes to the subject of changing things due to censorship. At least, that is a topic I have gotten a glimpse of. From what I can tell, everything in the remake is pretty close to the original design wise, so I doubt any major design changes would be made to such a major character.
Edit:
People are hyped all over the place, it's not just her what they are talking about. Of course, people are eager to see her at E3, such as other things and info we all are waiting for since forever.
Makes sense, though Tifa trending seemed rather notable if it was singled out to me.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Something I found a while back. It's pretty neat to see Cloud in this game, especially since this was made around 12 years before he got into Smash. In fact, was Kingdom Hearts even created by 2002? Or was that later on?

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
How do you feel about Sephiroth’s voice in the trailer.

I saw people in the comments of it saying that it felt weird for them.
I loved every voice except Sephiroth's. Felt a bit less grave and menacing.

People fell in love with Aerith and immediately were asking themselves how Tifa would compare, and considering the idea of her being nerfed as something that could indeed happen, discussion becoming a trend isn't surprising to me.
I hope she is faithful to the original design.

Also, regarding designs, every single one is closer to the original. Cloud's expressions also seem faithful, but the SOLDIER outfit isn't nor his hairstyle.
I'm thinking that we could get the original SOLDIER uniform and iconic hairstyle, as well as AC outfit with hairstyle through Downloadable content. It would be nice if this came through Amiibo functionality, if a Switch version came to be.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Something I found a while back. It's pretty neat to see Cloud in this game, especially since this was made around 12 years before he got into Smash. In fact, was Kingdom Hearts even created by 2002? Or was that later on?
2002 is exactly the release year for kingdom hearts. 5 years after ff7.
If you think about it, 3d graphics made such a huge leap during that time, comparing the 2.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
2002 is exactly the release year for kingdom hearts. 5 years after ff7.
If you think about it, 3d graphics made such a huge leap during that time, comparing the 2.
I mean, let's be honest, FFVII's graphics aged horribly. But hey, one of the first major 3d games after all.

Super Mario 64 legit looked better. The cutscenes were awesome, though.

And huh, that makes the timing of this image pretty funny. Especially since Cloud and Squall do appear in Kingdom Hearts. I think the first game too?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean, let's be honest, FFVII's graphics aged horribly. But hey, one of the first major 3d games after all.

Super Mario 64 legit looked better. The cutscenes were awesome, though.

And huh, that makes the timing of this image pretty funny. Especially since Cloud and Squall do appear in Kingdom Hearts. I think the first game too?
I think it's because FFVII was trying to go for an anime/realish style(OR at least as close as they could get).

And yes, both Cloud and Squall make KH1 apperences.

On my end, I have seen a decent amount of Tifa fan art in response to her not appearing.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I think it's because FFVII was trying to go for an anime/realish style(OR at least as close as they could get).

And yes, both Cloud and Squall make KH1 apperences.

On my end, I have seen a decent amount of Tifa fan art in response to her not appearing.
Love those fan arts. Specially the one with stoned cloud lmao!

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Ovaltine Ovaltine

https://twitter.com/grantkirkhope/status/1127604216023773187

I know this isn't necessarily regarding the SE character, but this might be Brave, so this is important to know.
Grant Kirkhope may have just confirmed Banjo Threeie to be a thing. Much like FFVII Remake at E3, having Banjo Threeie at E3 is perfect timing to announce Banjo in Smash!
Either way, rejoice!!!!!

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Ovaltine Ovaltine

I know this isn't necessarily regarding the SE character, but this might be Brave, so this is important to know.
Grant Kirkhope may have just confirmed Banjo Threeie to be a thing. Much like FFVII Remake at E3, having Banjo Threeie at E3 is perfect timing to announce Banjo in Smash!
Either way, rejoice!!!!!
Now that's what I call a most on the nose type of hint, if I have ever seen one…

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Now that's what I call a most on the nose type of hint, if I have ever seen one…
Grant Kirkhope does what Grant Kirkhope wants!

On a more serious note, this is pretty major.

Edit: Decided to bring this up in social because I got a bit suspicious as to why Smashboards was not being burned down by Banjo hype and was shown this.
So, it's just a misunderstanding.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ovaltine Ovaltine

Either way, rejoice!!!!!
Sorry to disappoint you:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Grant Kirkhope does what Grant Kirkhope wants!

On a more serious note, this is pretty major.

Edit: Decided to bring this up in social because I got a bit suspicious as to why Smashboards was not being burned down by Banjo hype and was shown this.
So, it's just a misunderstanding.
Sorry to disappoint you:
Crossing fingers that this is just Grant damage controlling although I seriously doubt it.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Crossing fingers that this is just Grant damage controlling although I seriously doubt it.
Yeah, I saw this earlier and thought, "Nah, he's bull****ting." I'd have loved for it to have been true, but nope. I know Grant far too well. Good thing I made the right judgment call.

It really would've been nice, though. Having at least one of my most wanteds get the red carpet treatment would make my E3.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Yeah, I saw this earlier and thought, "Nah, he's bull****ting." I'd have loved for it to have been true, but nope. I know Grant far too well. Good thing I made the right judgment call.

It really would've been nice, though. Having at least one of my most wanteds get the red carpet treatment would make my E3.
I mean, if the supposed screenshot that Papa Genos got from that supposed Xbox Ambassador is real then who knows.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I mean, if the supposed screenshot that Papa Genos got from that supposed Xbox Ambassador is real then who knows.
It's all ridiculously muddied and iffy. I place absolutely no chips on that one, honestly. Seems like it could easily be misinformation.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If I had to guess, this is about the Microsoft stores recently adding Banjo games to the xbox displays in store. Far as I know, this was proven to have happened.
Now that's the kind of solid info I like to hear. Even if nothing comes of it, it's at least nice to see that Microsoft hasn't forgotten about my favorite duo!

Top Bottom