• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Suikoden 2 is my favorite older JRPG so any representation of that would be greatly appreciated. Dragon Quest 11, Suikoden 2, Metal Gear Solid, Devil May Cry 3 and Deus Ex are the pinnacle for me.
I wish Suikoden had a chance in smash but the chances of that is non-existant :(
I wouldn't count it out whatsoever.
If you recall, I mentioned here a high profile concert in Japan that is organized yearly to celebrate gaming's most important pieces, according to them.
Suikoden II appeared there alongside Super Mario, Zelda, FF, CT, Earthbound and others.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Suikoden 2 is my favorite older JRPG so any representation of that would be greatly appreciated. Dragon Quest 11, Suikoden 2, Metal Gear Solid, Devil May Cry 3 and Deus Ex are the pinnacle for me.
I wouldn't count it out whatsoever.
If you recall, I mentioned here a high profile concert in Japan that is organized yearly to celebrate gaming's most important pieces, according to them.
Suikoden II appeared there alongside Super Mario, Zelda, FF, CT, Earthbound and others.
One problem might be that only Suikoden Tierkreis was on a nintendo platform, and none of the characters are returning ones.
May not be necessary, looking at Cloud, but at least Cloud had a few cameos. Anyway it'd be reallly cool. even if i dont expect suikoden in smash, I'd just like the game to have more rep in general, and some more games, and ports of the old ones. :)

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
One problem might be that only Suikoden Tierkreis was on a nintendo platform, and none of the characters are returning ones.
May not be necessary, looking at Cloud, but at least Cloud had a few cameos. Anyway it'd be reallly cool. even if i dont expect suikoden in smash, I'd just like the game to have more rep in general, and some more games, and ports of the old ones. :)
If Konami weren't a bunch of monkeys, I'd be down for a retranslated remastered version of the original games. I'd also love a proper Suikoden 6. If there is any rep I can think of for Suikoden in Smash, it has to be either Tir Mcdohl or Riou Genkakku with me leaning more to the latter because of Suikoden 2's "diamond in the rough" status.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If Konami weren't a bunch of monkeys, I'd be down for a retranslated remastered version of the original games. I'd also love a proper Suikoden 6. If there is any rep I can think of for Suikoden in Smash, it has to be either Tir Mcdohl or Riou Genkakku with me leaning more to the latter because of Suikoden 2's "diamond in the rough" status.
Either would have a unique weapon for smash. I prefer Riou, but anyway, if anything would happen with them I'd expect it more to be part of some other fighting game. I mean Konami has made fighting games, including DreamMix TV world fighters, so I wouldn't put it as impossible :p Having a few suikoden characters in one could be cool XD
Anyway, I doubt it's worth making a support page for suikoden, this is probably as much speculation as we'd get on them lol.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Either would have a unique weapon for smash. I prefer Riou, but anyway, if anything would happen with them I'd expect it more to be part of some other fighting game. I mean Konami has made fighting games, including DreamMix TV world fighters, so I wouldn't put it as impossible :p Having a few suikoden characters in one could be cool XD
Anyway, I doubt it's worth making a support page for suikoden, this is probably as much speculation as we'd get on them lol.
Yeah I'd prefer Riou too. Tonfas + Healing based character = Incredibly unique.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Konami consists of multiple companies. There's Hudson (responsible for Bomberman) and Bemani (who makes DDR). If your pattern actually held up, Bomberman would be in, not Castlevania.
Also, can you actually name a Bandai rep to go with Namco's Pac-Man? Because nearly all of their games pre-merger were licensed.
True, I forgot Hudson, and Bomberman was really the most legitimate character for SmashU. And precisely, Bomberman was thought and proposed as a new Fighter, and then rejected by Konami. So, Castlevania could be a second choice.

No Bandai fighter is legitimate, so there is no 2sd Bandai-Namco rep.
Mameshi ? He is characterized to be a cute, yellow, intelligent animal, knowing how to calculate, very polite and non-violent. It is therefore almost identical to Isabelle.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Bomberman was thought and proposed as a new Fighter, and then rejected by Konami.
No, this isn’t true at all. Stop making up stuff just because Konami has been making rather anti-fan decisions lately. Sakurai wanted Castlevania in from the start, he didn’t put it in place of Bomberman.

And on a side note, I’m getting sick of this bull****. I really don’t want to defend Konami but it’s getting annoying when people start pushing their speculation as fact. I’m sick of baseless statements like “Sakurai struggled to get Snake in because Konami was being difficult.” You don’t know that! The opposite is true. Look at all the Konami content in this game. Hell, why would they be against Bomberman when they literally just released a new game from him? Use some common sense, stop making **** up just because it’s cool to hate on Konami.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Also, can you actually name a Bandai rep to go with Namco's Pac-Man? Because nearly all of their games pre-merger were licensed.
Besides Digimon(first created as video games), I think Boktai was another Bandai game first series too. I honestly can't think of many Bandai games series as is. Or much from them beyond those two.

But I agree that just adding a Bandai rep for the sake of it is dumb. Namco and Bandai have many characters. They should all be looked at instead. Heihachi, Lloyd, Yuri, Agumon, Greymon(both Digimon are the mascots overall), Taizo Hori(A.K.A. Dig Dug), Klonoa, and I'm sure there's more(I forget the name of the protagonist in Boktai. Wasn't it Sol Badguy or something?)

Ovaltine

Smash Master
No, this isn’t true at all. Stop making up stuff just because Konami has been making rather anti-fan decisions lately. Sakurai wanted Castlevania in from the start, he didn’t put it in place of Bomberman.

And on a side note, I’m getting sick of this bull****. I really don’t want to defend Konami but it’s getting annoying when people start pushing their speculation as fact. I’m sick of baseless statements like “Sakurai struggled to get Snake in because Konami was being difficult.” You don’t know that! The opposite is true. Look at all the Konami content in this game. Hell, why would they be against Bomberman when they literally just released a new game from him? Use some common sense, stop making **** up just because it’s cool to hate on Konami.
Yeah, there are plenty of reasons why Konami is getting disdain right now, but this is definitely not it. Bomberman wasn't included simply because Sakurai couldn't think of a good move set for him. That's literally it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, there are plenty of reasons why Konami is getting disdain right now, but this is definitely not it. Bomberman wasn't included simply because Sakurai couldn't think of a good move set for him. That's literally it.
Actually, was this said? I don't remember if it was. I mean, it makes sense. He's a lot harder to make a move set that both flows and is balanced than some. So I can understand having other Konami-owned characters higher priority, if only because he can make a moveset easier. With a clear development time limit, doing the easier character is very logical. There's a reason why 5/11 are Echoes, after all.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Actually, was this said? I don't remember if it was. I mean, it makes sense. He's a lot harder to make a move set that both flows and is balanced than some. So I can understand having other Konami-owned characters higher priority, if only because he can make a moveset easier. With a clear development time limit, doing the easier character is very logical. There's a reason why 5/11 are Echoes, after all.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure so. I mean, even if not, it does make sense, especially given the general idea of Bomberman is rather limiting in terms of move set potential. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that, though.

D

Deleted member

I think a lot of people have the logic of including assist trophies backwards. They're not assist trophies because Sakurai didn't want to include them, they're assist trophies because he DID want to include them, but for some reason or another couldnt make them a playable fighter.
Alucard for example, was actually planned to be playable before it was finalized on Simon to represent Castlevania.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I think a lot of people have the logic of including assist trophies backwards. They're not assist trophies because Sakurai didn't want to include them, they're assist trophies because he DID want to include them, but for some reason or another couldnt make them a playable fighter.
Alucard for example, was actually planned to be playable before it was finalized on Simon to represent Castlevania.
Yeah, my guess is with Simon and Alucard, despite Alucard having plenty of move set potential from SotN in particular, Simon represented retro Castlevania while Richter took modern Castlevania. He probably was going to use Alucard instead of Richter, but didn't have the time to make a whole new move set for a whole new character, so he made Richter, an echo fighter, instead. That's just a guess, though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not really planned, to clarify. He considered Alucard along with the Belmonts, knowing the vampire's popularity. But yeah, it's still what you said. Though it's still quite possible that moveset is why Bomberman didn't get in, so he got a cool AT role instead.

Yeah, my guess is with Simon and Alucard, despite Alucard having plenty of move set potential from SotN in particular, Simon represented retro Castlevania while Richter took modern Castlevania. He probably was going to use Alucard instead of Richter, but didn't have the time to make a whole new move set for a whole new character, so he made Richter, an echo fighter, instead. That's just a guess, though.
It was more "Simon's the popular one in the West and Richter's the popular one in the East. I combined their abilities so easy Echo fighters were done too." I think the overall idea is neither is meant to be more important than the other, hence his joke of "who is the echo?". My guess is Simon is the non-echo cause he's the first protagonist, which actually makes a lot of sense if there was no real way to choose between 'em.

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice
Besides Digimon(first created as video games), I think Boktai was another Bandai game first series too. I honestly can't think of many Bandai games series as is. Or much from them beyond those two.

But I agree that just adding a Bandai rep for the sake of it is dumb. Namco and Bandai have many characters. They should all be looked at instead. Heihachi, Lloyd, Yuri, Agumon, Greymon(both Digimon are the mascots overall), Taizo Hori(A.K.A. Dig Dug), Klonoa, and I'm sure there's more(I forget the name of the protagonist in Boktai. Wasn't it Sol Badguy or something?)
I agree with this 100 percent. I don't see Sakurai denying Bandai-Namco a character because only Bandai doesn't have a good rep for smash. Especially considering it would be kind of awkward making the company that helped make smash 4 and ultimate the only third party with one rep.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I agree with this 100 percent. I don't see Sakurai denying Bandai-Namco a character because Bandai doesn't have a good rep for smash. Especially considering it would be kind of awkward making the company that helped make smash 4 and ultimate the only third party with one rep.
He also said he won't give Bandai-Namco special treatment just because they helped make the game. It's like the rest of the 3rd party companies in that regard. If he sees a character of worth, he'll contact 'em. Or they might ask him first. So while it's awkward, it just means that nobody asked for a character yet(either Sakurai asking them for another) or (them asking Sakurai to put one in). In fact, I wonder if he's avoiding giving them another one due to this factor. Which is silly, but would explain it well. I can understand not giving them tons of characters or tons of content. However, them giving Sakurai lots of content simply because it's easier to license the company because they're already working on the game is another thing. We got some good Arcade-related stuff in 4, after all.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Right, I always forget that Digimon is a videogame franchise.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Right, I always forget that Digimon is a videogame franchise.
Not many knew it was a game before the far more infamous manga/anime. Can't blame 'em. Especially when the anime quality has been generally better than the game quality. Digimon World 1 was pretty awful at times. Never mind "extremely difficult and confusing evolution paths". Pokemon has its ups and downs, but nowhere near that bad.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure so. I mean, even if not, it does make sense, especially given the general idea of Bomberman is rather limiting in terms of move set potential. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that, though.
I'll be the first to say Bomberman has moveset potential even if it is at its most basic just him plopping a bomb down and doing things with it. Hell, Pac-man had less of a slate than Bomberman does for moves, and Sakurai still made a moveset.

Look no further than his assist trophy being one of the most creative attack spirits that isn't just him directly hitting you or throwing things at you like Spring Man, Shovel Knight or Krystal. The potential is there but he just needs to he more fleshed out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Saw this mod for Master Chief in Jump Force. And with all the talks of Nintendo and Microsoft partnering up. How great would it be if Master Chief was in Smash Ultimate and had a move set like this! Plus we get see Master Chief vs. Samus.

Damm. that's a good mod even though Jump Force was such a massive disappointment. And sure, while Master Chief would be big, I would prefer to have Banjo xD

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I beg to differ.
Bomberman has different types of bombs to be used, different bombs that can be carried, bombs can be charged, thrown, kicked, there are powerups that he can use, and has a cute green dragon for him to use to his advantage. He has way more to go off of than Pacman and, frankly, a substantial ammount of other characters.

Ornl

Smash Ace
+ rollers + hedge jump + jetpack or teleporter (3rd jump) + boxing kick + shot at goal + stunning (Wario Blast) + creation of camouflage hedge + magnetism...
°([^^])

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I beg to differ.
Bomberman has different types of bombs to be used, different bombs that can be carried, bombs can be charged, thrown, kicked, there are powerups that he can use, and has a cute green dragon for him to use to his advantage. He has way more to go off of than Pacman and, frankly, a substantial ammount of other characters.
Which doesn't inherently make for good balance. He's a bit too projectile-based alone. Coupled with the fact his bombs hurt him, which was taken into account with the AT. It's not that simple. His AT design captures his gameplay rather faithfully too.

Pac-Man actually had a lot of game appearances where he had more traditional abilities that fit into Smash. Which were ignored because Sakurai couldn't come up with anything for him either and had help. He didn't come up with anything that would make Bomberman work well, but also had more characters he could see working well. Having potential alone doesn't get you in. If Sakurai can't see the character dance in his head, he needs help first and foremost to make them work. It's quite possible nobody had any idea on how to make Bomberman work well. He's not a conventional character with an easy to make moveset. One that flows well and is balanced. That takes a lot more than many characters. Potential alone just isn't enough. Balance is a major factor. There's a reason why Ridley wasn't playable in 4 as well. Balance was a major factor, but he took that into account. "He can do this" isn't a convincing moveset. Please go over the full moveset, not just the bare minimum of moves he can do. Those are some nice ideas, though. But what's the character mechanic that makes those flow together? Even MegaMan has balance issues at times, since his moveset doesn't flow that well, despite being a great retro throwback to his series. Pac-Man has a much more balanced one in comparison.

D

Deleted member

Which doesn't inherently make for good balance. He's a bit too projectile-based alone. Coupled with the fact his bombs hurt him, which was taken into account with the AT. It's not that simple. His AT design captures his gameplay rather faithfully too.

Pac-Man actually had a lot of game appearances where he had more traditional abilities that fit into Smash. Which were ignored because Sakurai couldn't come up with anything for him either and had help. He didn't come up with anything that would make Bomberman work well, but also had more characters he could see working well. Having potential alone doesn't get you in. If Sakurai can't see the character dance in his head, he needs help first and foremost to make them work. It's quite possible nobody had any idea on how to make Bomberman work well. He's not a conventional character with an easy to make moveset. One that flows well and is balanced. That takes a lot more than many characters. Potential alone just isn't enough. Balance is a major factor. There's a reason why Ridley wasn't playable in 4 as well. Balance was a major factor, but he took that into account. "He can do this" isn't a convincing moveset. Please go over the full moveset, not just the bare minimum of moves he can do. Those are some nice ideas, though. But what's the character mechanic that makes those flow together? Even MegaMan has balance issues at times, since his moveset doesn't flow that well, despite being a great retro throwback to his series. Pac-Man has a much more balanced one in comparison.
What? Do you have a source for your conclusion here? I'm not buying moveset being the reason Sakurai didn't choose Bomberman. You basically just confirmed he can make a moveset for Bomberman if he wanted to by saying it would be like Ridley, Megaman, and Pac-man. So since it can happen anyway, there's more reason Bomberman didn't make it. Most likely because they only had enough resources for Castlevania and that was on his mind first. Both series are viable picks because both were possible, both are unique, both are popular choices in the fanbase, and both had potential. It's not as simplistic as moveset.

I'm not saying Bomberman would be a simple character to implement, but moveset being why he wasn't in was never confirmed by any source. Him being an assist trophy practically confirms he was a consideration. If Sakurai wanted Bomberman in, he would put Bomberman in. Let's not make up reasons as to why Bomberman couldn't make it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What? Do you have a source for your conclusion here? I'm not buying moveset being the reason Sakurai didn't choose Bomberman. You basically just said he can make a moveset for Bomberman if he wanted to by saying it would be like Ridley, Megaman, and Pac-man. So since it can happen anyway, there's more reason Bomberman didn't make it. Most likely because they only had enough resources for Castlevania and that was on his mind first. Both series are viable picks because both were possible, both are unique, both are popular choices in the fanbase, and both had potential. It's not as simplistic as moveset.
That wasn't the point of mentioning Ridley. The point was it's very difficult and he keeps it in mind. Moveset issues being part of why Bomberman got an AT role are very possible. Never mind not having any ideas on how to balance him, combined with having two characters he had moveset ideas for. You're literally ignoring everything I said. Resources aren't what made the Belmonts chosen over Bomberman. He made a choice based upon other factors. For one thing, Castlevania absolutely had tons of votes. The idea that he couldn't figure out how to balance a moveset that isn't easy to think about with a high time limit(which made the Belmonts also higher priority) didn't help. It's not a literal case of resources. Those alone doesn't make the moveset workable. If it never danced in his head, it wouldn't matter. One thing he has shown to care about is some form of faithfulness. When possible. But even Ganondorf, for example, is a physical warrior at times too.

I'm not saying Bomberman would be a simple character to implement, but moveset being why he wasn't in was never confirmed by any source. Him being an assist trophy practically confirms he was a consideration. If Sakurai wanted Bomberman in, he would put Bomberman in. Let's not make up reasons as to why Bomberman couldn't make it.
And nobody was saying it was a confirmed thing. What people are theorizing is moveset balance was part of why he wasn't chosen. Where on earth did you get any other idea along the way that it wasn't a theory? It was worded like that the whole time. Bomberman has nothing but projectiles by design(at least only using his own specific abilities). That's why I outright asked for the person claiming he was supposedly easy to make a moveset for to actually provide better examples of how the character could work. Cause a projectile-only character wouldn't be good for balance. They'd be nothing but having too much reach. How would it balance out?

You're combining different points. I theorize that the moveset was too difficult to figure out in a meaningful manner due to the lack of time alone. It was definitely not easy. So he was lower priority. But also lower priority due to the Belmonts being easier to figure out. My reasoning for why the moveset wouldn't be necessarily balanced is a very different point, but may also be part of the same factor that got Bomberman an AT role. Obviously he was considered, for the exact reason you said. I just have a hunch that his moveset was very difficult to balance, so he couldn't see the character "dance in his head", similar to Pac-Man. The problem is that he had to have Namco-Bandai outright help him create Pac-Man's moveset. Pac-Man however was easily viable and did physical stuff beside projectiles within his own series, so it's a lot easier to make suggestions while keeping it balanced. Bomberman doesn't have the same type of moveset design on his own, so I doubt he could've been implemented nearly as easily. Even if Pac-Man used more of his own world abilities, he still has enough that doesn't outright focus on a balancing issue; "All projectiles". Even projectile heavy characters like MegaMan have many physical blows to balance it out.

Though that said, AT's aren't necessarily characters he considers "much". As in, we have no real evidence that he put a lot of thought into implementing Bomberman. He could've been considered, but swiftly dismissed as better for AT. We don't know. It could be Castlevania also outdwarfed him in votes. It could be bias. It just looks like moveset issues are a reasonable factor to think about.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Little Mac exists, balance isn't really an issue.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Little Mac exists, balance isn't really an issue.
Little Mac is not every close to a similar comparison. He's full of physical blows. That doesn't make him hard to deal with because of projectiles making him impossible to hit. He sucks at recovery as a balance. Not a remotely similar situation. They're quite literally the opposite of issues at best. A character without projectiles is easy to balance overall. It doesn't mean they'll actually be super great in battle(as shown by Ganondorf), though. But they still don't have that issue all that much. They can be approached in the heat of battle fairly easily. They don't ever have massive reach without something like extremely slow speed on certain moves to help balance it out. Or a downside despite a reach factor(like Ridley's tail moves have good reach at times, but don't have extreme knockback. His most damaging move has zero knockback in return for its power).

The issue with his movest was that people couldn't find him interesting. Or the really actual bad point that apparently Villager took his entire shtick because... he used punching gloves. Though at least the idea that Balloon Fighter isn't very viable, and the fact Villager took the only real known move, has some logic behind it. But there's some pretty poor excuses that don't make any sense. He's very easy to balance as a fist fighter alone. His attacks don't have extreme reach. He doesn't have hitbox issues, nor would one expect him to. He just sometimes seems overpowered to newer players, but is actually fairly mediocre as a character.

Last edited:

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I havent been keeping track of the thread but is Erdrick going to be a thing or are people still theorizing?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I havent been keeping track of the thread but is Erdrick going to be a thing or are people still theorizing?
100% theory. There's absolutely no real evidence of him being in. We have many rumors, and Brave matches up very well with the character via the name alone. The datamined stats suggest it's either his chibi/kid form or possibly someone else.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
100% theory. There's absolutely no real evidence of him being in. We have many rumors, and Brave matches up very well with the character via the name alone. The datamined stats suggest it's either his chibi/kid form or possibly someone else.
Yeah, it's a very odd situation as a whole. Given the stats can be changed, however, I'd still be willing to believe Erdrick is Brave. If Erdrick isn't coming, he's probably the biggest leak bait since Star Fox Grand Prix, and I sincerely doubt that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, it's a very odd situation as a whole. Given the stats can be changed, however, I'd still be willing to believe Erdrick is Brave. If Erdrick isn't coming, he's probably the biggest leak bait since Star Fox Grand Prix, and I sincerely doubt that.
Though at least the idea Grand Prix was just the racing bit from Starlink would be logical... if PolarPanda didn't confirm it was leakbait.

Maybe it's a combination of that, though. That they leakbaited the Starlink racing mini-game by calling it Grand Prix. This actually would explain it and both would be possible. Though I'm inclined to believe it was fully made up to throw leakers off track, and the racing mini-game is a coincidence. Though it might not be... once we learn the name of the mini-game. If it is actually called Grand Prix, then it being a combination of both makes sense.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for honest answers, was honestly expecting something contradictory like "Yeah Erdrick is confirmed, the datamine highly suggests it".

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Thanks for honest answers, was honestly expecting something contradictory like "Yeah Erdrick is confirmed, the datamine highly suggests it".
Nah, it'd be illogical to say he's confirmed. He's looking quite likely, but nothing is 100% until we hear it from Nintendo and Sakurai.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nah, it'd be illogical to say he's confirmed. He's looking quite likely, but nothing is 100% until we hear it from Nintendo and Sakurai.
Or at least a good gameplay leak.

It wouldn't confirm him even then, but it would sure help. It certainly helped Ken, as we found an impossible to break leak.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it's a combination of that, though. That they leakbaited the Starlink racing mini-game by calling it Grand Prix. This actually would explain it and both would be possible. Though I'm inclined to believe it was fully made up to throw leakers off track, and the racing mini-game is a coincidence. Though it might not be... once we learn the name of the mini-game. If it is actually called Grand Prix, then it being a combination of both makes sense.
I'm gonna file this along with "Erdrick in Smash was actually Dai in Jump Force" in the unnecessarily complicated drawer. The Grand Prix rumour has been around for ages, and has always been that it's an independent game developed by Retro. Getting that from a side mode in a Ubisoft game doesn't make much sense.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm gonna file this along with "Erdrick in Smash was actually Dai in Jump Force" in the unnecessarily complicated drawer. The Grand Prix rumour has been around for ages, and has always been that it's an independent game developed by Retro. Getting that from a side mode in a Ubisoft game doesn't make much sense.
To be fair, I barely heard of the details of the rumor. Okay, yeah, never mind. Thanks for the better information.

D

Deleted member

That wasn't the point of mentioning Ridley. The point was it's very difficult and he keeps it in mind. Moveset issues being part of why Bomberman got an AT role are very possible. Never mind not having any ideas on how to balance him, combined with having two characters he had moveset ideas for. You're literally ignoring everything I said. Resources aren't what made the Belmonts chosen over Bomberman. He made a choice based upon other factors. For one thing, Castlevania absolutely had tons of votes. The idea that he couldn't figure out how to balance a moveset that isn't easy to think about with a high time limit(which made the Belmonts also higher priority) didn't help. It's not a literal case of resources. Those alone doesn't make the moveset workable. If it never danced in his head, it wouldn't matter. One thing he has shown to care about is some form of faithfulness. When possible. But even Ganondorf, for example, is a physical warrior at times too.

And nobody was saying it was a confirmed thing. What people are theorizing is moveset balance was part of why he wasn't chosen. Where on earth did you get any other idea along the way that it wasn't a theory? It was worded like that the whole time. Bomberman has nothing but projectiles by design(at least only using his own specific abilities). That's why I outright asked for the person claiming he was supposedly easy to make a moveset for to actually provide better examples of how the character could work. Cause a projectile-only character wouldn't be good for balance. They'd be nothing but having too much reach. How would it balance out?

You're combining different points. I theorize that the moveset was too difficult to figure out in a meaningful manner due to the lack of time alone. It was definitely not easy. So he was lower priority. My reasoning for why the moveset wouldn't be necessarily balanced is a very different point, but may also be part of the same factor that got Bomberman an AT role. Obviously he was considered, for the exact reason you said. I just have a hunch that his moveset was very difficult to balance, so he couldn't see the character "dance in his head", similar to Pac-Man. The problem is that he had to have Namco-Bandai outright help him create Pac-Man's moveset. Pac-Man however was easily viable and did physical stuff beside projectiles within his own series, so it's a lot easier to make suggestions while keeping it balanced. Bomberman doesn't have the same type of moveset design on his own, so I doubt he could've been implemented nearly as easily. Even if Pac-Man used more of his own world abilities, he still has enough that doesn't outright focus on a balancing issue; "All projectiles". Even projectile heavy characters like MegaMan have many physical blows to balance it out.
I think I understand what you're saying now. There are many reasons as to why Bomberman couldn't be chosen over Castlevania, and the complexity of his moveset might have been one factor, which isn't a slight against Bomberman himself. Balancing it wouldn't be easy because Bomberman would be a chaotic character. He should be, too, because that's literally the point of Bomberman multiplayer. You have to balance that insanity of killing everyone and not yourself while making it fair. I say they can just patch him and adjust the stats as they see fit, but I think this conversation is going on longer than it needs, and that's my fault for being defensive.

In fact let's get into moveset now, just for fun, and I'll start this list by listing out everything that isn't bomb related. Not to further this discussion but because I'm bored and Bomberman's moveset is now on my mind.
  • As previously stated, there's no reason Bomberman can't just punch or kick you for normal attacks. He would need normal attacks to move his bombs. This can also cover his aerials easily, but nothing says we can't just have bombs harmlessly explode out of his hands to create an explosive impact against opponents either.
  • Animal buddies that could just ram into you. Maybe they could be a Smash attack or a special move that buffs and debuffs some of your stats. Maybe a recovery special. Maybe something like Duck Hunt's wild gunman.
  • Bomberman Hero introduces gadgets. He could either surf on the stage like a Wario side-special or use his jet pack as a recovery.
  • Stats. A core mechanic for Bomberman. You start out as a snail who can't make many bombs and their area of effect suck, and then usually by the end of the level, you're fast, can make many bombs, and these bombs take up a lot of space. Doing something like Frank West from UMvC3 where you have to power up throughout the fight would be a pretty faithful mechanic. How could this work? Maybe stats appear randomly on stage and the opponent can destroy these. Maybe doing damage with your bombs spawn stat-boosters that you can then collect? Think Smash Run for Smash 4 3DS where beating **** up dropped stats. Reset these stats after every stock. This would probably be the best way to balance him instead of just making him projectile or bomb only. It's also extremely classic.
Now we drop the bombs.
  • His neutral special would just be him grabbing a bomb and then throwing them. This would definitely be the focal point of his moveset. Imagine Snake's hand grenades but with less "realistic" physics and more Bomberman physics like his assist trophy. His tilts, which can serve as attacks, can also serve as means to move these bombs. You could maybe hold the B button down to expand the size of these bombs for a greater explosion. How many bombs he can have on screen is dependent on the strength of his bombs and how fast they explode. Maybe use the grab button to pick these bombs back up.
  • Remote bombs are a possibility and could work similarly to how BotW Link's bombs work. Maybe give this a weaker explosion. Maybe you can't grow these like the normal bombs.
  • Some people brought up elemental bombs. They could work, but might make him too complex with everything else I listed.

Top Bottom