• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm the person who made that post in the attachment. SE's involvement in Adventure of Dai is the same as Nintendo's involvement in the Pokemon Anime. Adventure of Dai is not owned by SE.
I would think even less so. Because isn't Nintendo the parent of The Pokemon Company?
Square's mostly only the publisher for DQ. afaik. (I don't necessarily know the details tho..)

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I get your point regards the situation being strange to think and possibly being false the rumors of Erdrick, but on the other hand dismissing or accepting something due to being an "unique" situation that have never happened before is a bit premature.
I have come with terms with that Dragon Quest could be a DLC from Square Enix even though I hate it because it would only come off as a marketing tool considering DQs seize in the west. It would get even more annoying considering Square has some worldwide fan favorites like Sora Sephiroth and I would argue to some extent Geno and the fact that it looks like Dai is base roster and not DLC...

At least if someone like Sora or Noctis got in (speaking as someone that wants Geno and/or Sephiroth), we would have someone that has worldwide appeal. Sure, I will be glad for the DQ fans if DQ gets a DLC rep. But that doesn't mean I won't get annoyed for reason stated above.

But checking all these cards that we have access in front of us, makes me scratch my head on how people can act like we have someone (to qoute a friend) "as confirmed it can be without being confirmed". As far as we know, it could end up that we won't get a Square rep period.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I would think even less so. Because isn't Nintendo the parent of The Pokemon Company?
Square's mostly only the publisher for DQ. afaik. (I don't necessarily know the details tho..)
SE owns the DQ name. Yuji Horii owns the Scenario (ie story/plot). Akira Toriyama Owns the characters (Hence why Bird Studio is not listed on the copyrights of Adventure of Dai). Sugiyama owns the music. SE's involvement simply stems with just allowing the DQ name for Adventure of Dai.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
SE owns the DQ name. Yuji Horii owns the Scenario (ie story/plot). Akira Toriyama Owns the characters (Hence why Bird Studio is not listed on the copyrights of Adventure of Dai). Sugiyama owns the music. SE's involvement simply stems with just allowing the DQ name for Adventure of Dai.
There's a contract involved for SE, but I haven't seen anything about them owning the name, where did you hear that?

We already have Cloud. A new series would appeal more (even if I'd love Tifa :))
DQ is pretty big, and disney aint easy to deal with for sora, so. It just sounds like youre upset.

D

Deleted member

But checking all these cards that we have access in front of us, makes me scratch my head on how people can act like we have someone (to qoute a friend) "as confirmed it can be without being confirmed". As far as we know, it could end up that we won't get a Square rep period.
A character can have everything going for them but confirmation, and that is what decides if they get in. As much as I'd personally enjoy Erdrick (like a certain wooden doll), I'm not holding my breath. I actually think Sora is the more likely candidate given his worldwide status and because Kingdom Hearts 3 is pretty relevant as is. It's the most obvious guess I can surmise.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I'm the person who made that post in the attachment. SE's involvement in Adventure of Dai is the same as Nintendo's involvement in the Pokemon Anime. Adventure of Dai is not owned by SE.
I admit defeat there, but I still find it strange how a game like Jump Fiesta hasn't leaked anything but Smash is...

No Nintendo is not the parent company of TCP

A character can have everything going for them but confirmation, and that is what decides if they get in. As much as I'd personally enjoy Erdrick (like a certain wooden doll), I'm not holding my breath. I actually think Sora is the more likely candidate given his worldwide status and because Kingdom Hearts 3 is pretty relevant as is. It's the most obvious guess I can surmise.
Exactly, but looking through this thread after leakers came out and said Erdick is just Grinch leak all over again with how sure people claim to be that it is Erdick. If anything the grinch leak should have shown that you should always be skeptic no matter how "believable" it is.

If Erdick truly is in... Awesome for you fans of the character... But I can't understand how people act like Erdrick is confirmed

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I admit defeat there, but I still find it strange how a game like Jump Fiesta hasn't leaked anything but Smash is...

No Nintendo is not the parent company of TCP
"The Pokémon Company [...] was established through a joint investment by the three businesses holding the copyright on Pokémon: Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures.[1] "

And if you look at even just wikipedia it says right there that nintendo is a parent company.

I get that you're upset, but you should try to be truthful.

There's all kinds of leaks, and smash ultimate was a pretty big surprise when it was actually announced.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Jump Force itself was leaked by Verge IIRC. There have been other rumors surrounding the game, but they're not as popular as the rumors around Smash. Not sure where you got the idea that nothing on it has leaked.

Granted, I don't think this has any bearing on Smash right now.

D

Deleted member

I have come with terms with that Dragon Quest could be a DLC from Square Enix even though I hate it because it would only come off as a marketing tool considering DQs seize in the west. It would get even more annoying considering Square has some worldwide fan favorites like Sora Sephiroth and I would argue to some extent Geno and the fact that it looks like Dai is base roster and not DLC...

At least if someone like Sora or Noctis got in (speaking as someone that wants Geno and/or Sephiroth), we would have someone that has worldwide appeal. Sure, I will be glad for the DQ fans if DQ gets a DLC rep. But that doesn't mean I won't get annoyed for reason stated above.

Understandable(although Noctis might not be the best example for a FF rep). While not as popular in the west as in Japan, DQ still is a decently enough series when you compare with most JRPGs here.

I get what you're saying but remember that most of the discussion at the moment, at least here, its maintained a bit with skepticism for many people myself included. The thing is that some developments seem to make Erdrick a bit more likely but not 100%.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
"The Pokémon Company [...] was established through a joint investment by the three businesses holding the copyright on Pokémon: Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures.[1] "

And if you look at even just wikipedia it says right there that nintendo is a parent company.

I get that you're upset, but you should try to be truthful.

There's all kinds of leaks, and smash ultimate was a pretty big surprise when it was actually announced.
All I knew was that Nintendo owns 33% which for me isn't "parent company".. So I didn't lie, just didn't check due to being on phone.
Also, if you read what I wrote, then you would have seen that I'm not questioning his chances because at this point everything can happen. I'm just questioning how people can act like this is 100% confirmed without the confirmation of Nintendo.

D

Deleted member

Exactly, but looking through this thread after leakers came out and said Erdick is just Grinch leak all over again with how sure people claim to be that it is Erdick. If anything the grinch leak should have shown that you should always be skeptic no matter how "believable" it is.

If Erdick truly is in... Awesome for you fans of the character... But I can't understand how people act like Erdrick is confirmed
I'm not doubting that people believe Erdrick is 100% in, but you should realize that most of us right now are coming at Erdrick with as much speculation as possible.

Also, if you read what I wrote, then you would have seen that I'm not questioning his chances because at this point everything can happen. I'm just questioning how people can act like this is 100% confirmed without the confirmation of Nintendo.
No idea. Personally, you could argue this when Artsy Omni made that impressively real-looking Rayman leak. People believe what they want and I don't really care as long as I don't believe it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Understandable(although Noctis might not be the best example for a FF rep). While not as popular in the west as in Japan, DQ still is a decently enough series when you compare with most JRPGs here.

I get what you're saying but remember that most of the discussion at the moment, at least here, its maintained a bit with skepticism for many people myself included. The thing is that some developments seem to make Erdrick a bit more likely but not 100%.
Maybe it's the fact that I still don't think straight because of the passing of my girlfriend (a drunken driver that made a hit and run) this month, maybe it's the fact that I'm from Sweden which makes English my second language, or maybe it's both.. But to me, it looks like people think it's 100% which makes me go "Huh"?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Maybe it's the fact that I still don't think straight because of the passing of my GF (a drunken driver that made a hit and run) this month, maybe it's the fact that I'm from Sweden which makes English my second language, or maybe it's both.. But to me, it looks like people think it's 100% which makes me go "Huh"?
Sorry to hear about your loss. Hope we cleared up any confusions with our intents.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
All I knew was that Nintendo owns 33% which for me isn't "parent company".. So I didn't lie, just didn't check due to being on phone.
I've seen people talk as if Erdrick is a shoe in too, but I think it's pretty mixed around here (there's skepticism too).
It's ok to vent, but try not to direct it at everyone.
Hope things get better for you.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Maybe it's the fact that I still don't think straight because of the passing of my girlfriend (a drunken driver that made a hit and run) this month, maybe it's the fact that I'm from Sweden which makes English my second language, or maybe it's both.. But to me, it looks like people think it's 100% which makes me go "Huh"?
Sorry to hear that. Most of the time lately we are pretty much waiting just for info since a lot can change, the whole not being 100% sure has been repeated a lot during the wait.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I've seen people talk as if Erdrick is a shoe in too, but I think it's pretty mixed around here (there's skepticism too).
It's ok to vent, but try not to direct it at everyone.
Hope things get better for you.
If it has come off like that, I'm certainly apologizing. I stand by my skepticism (was skeptic about this whole thing even before the incident) but it was never my intent to come off as aggressive towards someone here.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Hope we cleared up any confusions with our intents.
Sorry to hear that. Most of the time lately we are pretty much waiting just for info since a lot can change, the whole not being 100% sure has been repeated a lot during the wait.
And thanks y'all

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was looking at the top sales for video game franchises, and in the list of having at least 50 million sold, there's both Zelda (89 million) and Dragon Quest (76 million). Pretty big, if you ask me. Donkey Kong is 56 million. Most of the other series' in smash are much lower.

If it has come off like that, I'm certainly apologizing. I stand by my skepticism (was skeptic about this whole thing even before the incident) but it was never my intent to come off as aggressive towards someone here.
Alright :)
Well I'm a bit like that too. I was skeptical for most things. Only one leaker surprised me and was actully on point. During the grinch leak there were so many others saying things like some of the characters being really in, and yet most of them ended up as assist trophies or just not there.

That's not to say there couldn't be truth to it this time, but without more, it's better just to think and talk about the possibility. It's still just a possibility.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I was looking at the top sales for video game franchises, and in the list of having at least 50 million sold, there's both Zelda (89 million) and Dragon Quest (76 million). Pretty big, if you ask me. Donkey Kong is 56 million.
Alright :)
Well I'm a bit like that too. I was skeptical for most things. Only one leaker surprised me and was actully on point. During the grinch leak there were so many others saying things like some of the characters being really in, and yet most of them ended up as assist trophies or just not there.

That's not to say there couldn't be truth to it this time, but without more, it's better just to think and talk about the possibility. It's still just a possibility.
It's not the sales in general that make people (like me) feel like it would be a "shoe in" but how the sales are in the West compared to Japan, which is why some are making Corrin comparisons (considering it hasn't had a western release but there had been fans that had ported the game from Japan when Corrin got announced) with whatever DQ rep gets in (if DQ gets in) I mean, there is reason for articles like this exist https://nordic.ign.com/switch/19123...-will-have-to-sell-well-in-the-west-for-futur

I'm not saying that Erdick could not be the Square rep, even with how my personal feelings are in the matter. I was just questioning the behavior here as I mentioned above. After Cloud got in as DLC for Smash 4, my sentiment has pretty much been "as long as it's a videogame character, pretty much everyone has a shot"... The only one that would truly shock me at this point would be if someone like Goku, Superman or Spiderman got in (just took some names out of the head but you get the idea)

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's not the sales in general that make people (like me) feel like it would be a "shoe in" but how the sales are in the West compared to Japan, which is why some are making Corrin comparisons with whatever DQ rep gets in (if DQ gets in) I mean, there is reason for articles like this exist https://nordic.ign.com/switch/19123...-will-have-to-sell-well-in-the-west-for-futur

I'm not saying that Erdick could not be the Square rep, even with how my personal feelings are in the matter. I was just questioning the behavior here as I mentioned above. After Cloud got in as DLC for Smash 4, my sentiment has pretty much been "as long as it's a videogame character, pretty much everyone has a shot"... The only one that would truly shock me at this point would be if someone like Goku, Superman or Spiderman got in (just took some names out of the head but you get the idea)
Well, DQ11 is selling well in the west in the end, even if Japan is the most crazy about it :). And the series is more popular than fire emblem.

I think nintendo being in japan will always make for a bit more bias in that way, unfortunately. I say unfortunately, but personally I like so many japanese games that it's not really a problem (except that I want Shantae in it playable too). I love Bethesda and Blizzard games though. I wouldnt want them in smash, but anyway.
At least Fire Emblem became a bit more known in the west, including thanks to smash.

Last edited:

jokermelee

Smash Apprentice
personally i feel that Dai JUMP FORCE leak is extremely interesting. i don't think it detracts from Erdricks chances in the slightest, since the 2 are from completely separate medias with barely any connection other than the title "Dragon Quest". the 2 are completely separated story wise, and from what i can tell don't have the same creators at all.
I don't see how Shonen Jump putting a character from a manga they published into their game would affect any plans by SE. in fact according to that Granblue leak, might also help them if they choose to put Erdrick in Ultimate. if i recall correctly that leak claimed Square was including Erdrick to "push Dragon Quest into the West", if this is anything to go by, then putting Dai in JUMP FORCE would also help them truly push Dragon Quest into the West since that's another largely anticipated game coming out soon.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
personally i feel that Dai JUMP FORCE leak is extremely interesting. i don't think it detracts from Erdricks chances in the slightest, since the 2 are from completely separate medias with barely any connection other than the title "Dragon Quest". the 2 are completely separated story wise, and from what i can tell don't have the same creators at all.
I don't see how Shonen Jump putting a character from a manga they published into their game would affect any plans by SE. in fact according to that Granblue leak, might also help them if they choose to put Erdrick in Ultimate. if i recall correctly that leak claimed Square was including Erdrick to "push Dragon Quest into the West", if this is anything to go by, then putting Dai in JUMP FORCE would also help them truly push Dragon Quest into the West since that's another largely anticipated game coming out soon.
Honestly you don't have to look hard to know SE is really pushing DQ to sell here.we've been getting every dq game for the past 2 years and they've flown Yuji Horii to every con leading to DQ 11's release.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So, there's quite a bit of gameplay for Jump Force on youtube. It feels a lot like the Naruto fighting games.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
The rights for the basic premise of Dragon Quest belongs to Squre Enix iirc.
Since the publisher of Jump Force is Bandai Namco, if Erdrick really gets in to smash then the negotiations with Squre Enix and Armor Project might’ve happen at the same time.
Now we know that Brave was being in the codes for a while, maybe that 5chan leak saying Erdrick was supposed to be the base roster retro rep alongside Simon was somewhat correct.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Well, DQ11 is selling well in the west in the end, even if Japan is the most crazy about it :). And the series is more popular than fire emblem in the west.

I think nintendo being in japan will always make for a bit more bias in that way, unfortunately. I say unfortunately, but personally I like so many japanese games that it's not really a problem (except that I want Shantae in it playable too). I love Bethesda and Blizzard games though. I wouldnt want them in smash, but anyway.
At least Fire Emblem became a bit more known in the west, including thanks to smash.
Yeah, but that doesn't change the fact that the sales between the west and Japan aren't exactly 50/50 if you know what I mean.

Yeah, Nintendo of Japan has always been more bias against the Japanese audience. I know that fairly well as a fan of Fire Emblem, For you that don't know... It's close impossible to get merchandise if you live in the west, the games prior to Awakening, had all horrible marketing (heck I only knew about the first Fire Emblem game that was released here in the west by searching through an emulator site for Pokemon Crystal, which I own but had borrowed to a friend at that time).. Smash really didn't do much considering unless Awakening hadn't sold as much as it had done, we wouldn't have had Fates, Fire emblem Warriors, and the current mobile game right now. Nintendo thought they only needed Smash to market it yet the game that includes Ike (who is arguably the most popular in the franchise thanks to smash ironically) has sold the worst in the series because how idiotic they have been with the marketing...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, but that doesn't change the fact that the sales between the west and Japan aren't exactly 50/50 if you know what I mean.

Yeah, Nintendo of Japan has always been more bias against the Japanese audience. I know that fairly well as a fan of Fire Emblem, For you that don't know... It's close impossible to get merchandise if you live in the west, the games prior to Awakening, had all horrible marketing (heck I only knew about the first Fire Emblem game that was released here in the west by searching through an emulator site for Pokemon Crystal, which I own but had borrowed to a friend at that time).. Smash really didn't do much considering unless Awakening hadn't sold as much as it had done, we wouldn't have had Fates, Fire emblem Warriors, and the current mobile game right now. Nintendo thought they only needed Smash to market it yet the game that includes Ike (who is arguably the most popular in the franchise thanks to smash ironically) has sold the worst in the series because how idiotic they have been with the marketing...
Well of course it's never going to be 50/50. DQ is part of japanese heritage :p
And the sales for fire emblem have kept increasing. And dont forget it started with Marth in melee. Anyway, I'm tired of replying. laters

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
And the sales for fire emblem have kept increasing. And dont forget it started with Marth in melee. Anyway, I'm tired of replying. laters
I'm just saying that being in Smash doesn't automatically means success :estatic: Fire emblems marketing proofs that. Anyway, have it awesome

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
Ironically (maybe I'm using that word wrong), Square has as much to do with Dai as Nintendo does with Geno.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Especially when again, and I've said this before, the Japanese made game that has so far exclusively incorporated Japanese third parties developed by a massive fan of Japanese games, would be incorporating the biggest Japanese game franchise not currently represented in Smash. I don't think we can ever understate that fact....
Resident Evil is bigger, though it’s fanbase is much more equally split between East & West. ;)

However, I do agree that Dragon Quest’s massive popularity justifies its potential spot in Smash; DQ is one of the highest selling game series of all-time & that’s largely from Japan, I can’t think of another game series with that much popularity from Japan alone. We all have to remember that Smash is a Japanese game first & foremost.

This coming from someone who’s never played Dragon Quest & has no intentions to (I really dislike the designs... despite liking Dragon Ball & Chrono Trigger lol). As well as someone who REALLY wants Sora.

I was in camp “Damn that’d be REALLY lame” at first, but I’ve grown to accept Edrick as I’ve put some thought into it. If this leak is real, then I’m glad he leaked since it gave me some time to accept Erdrick & not be massively disappointed.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Because of personal bias. I don't think any amount of time would stop me from being massively disappointed if Erdrick is revealed.

I would personally feel the exactly same way like I did with Corrin. Paying to be advertised to. But I do understand it would be a japan focused character and there are plenty of Dragon Quest fans in the west so it would be for them first and foremost. I just won't really like it. I just get so tired of saying "Maybe next game"

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Okay, I'm kind of lost. What's so concerning about Dai's possible inclusion in Jump Force that it affects discussion here? It's like if an anime game had Ash Ketchum as a playable character, he's tied to a game franchise yes, but he's technically not a game character himself.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Okay, I'm kind of lost. What's so concerning about Dai's possible inclusion in Jump Force that it affects discussion here? It's like if an anime game had Ash Ketchum as a playable character, he's tied to a game franchise yes, but he's technically not a game character himself.
Yeah, the correlation is very loose and I feel it's yet another case of puzzle pieces being tried to slam into a puzzle where they don't fit.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
If an Erdrick trailer starts with the iconic dragon quest theme horn, i wonder how many people will get it from that alone. Though that could also lead into an actual DQ game and not a smash trailer so it'd keep even fans of the series on their feet.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Yeah, I definitely do not see the correlation myself. Jump Force celebrates the legacy of Jump manga which Dai's manga was highly successful and he earned his spot in the roster, and Smash celebrates video game legacy which Erdrick or some other character like Slime can represent the video game franchise as a whole.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
I'm pretty sure that people can identify which game because one has Mario, Link, and DK; and the other has Goku, Naruto, and Kenshin. Plus Erdrick is a character that has two alts by default (Male and Female) while Dai is just Dai.

Reminds me of people at GameFAQS that were trying to link Vergeben sources with being confused with the cubivore pig instead of Minecraft which, while I don't put much trust into Verge for DLC, it's just an assumption that the contacts of Verge cannot make a difference between two franchises that they work with.
That was made up

someone random wanted to question Verge about it and wanted people to help get his attention about instead since he was in a new account
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77233375?page=20

Unfortunately, these people decided to spread it as fake news at the worse time possible.

people were digging the game and people i cluding Verge was downright confused over the newest Minecraft in Smash info.

somebody on 4channel /v/ even have a imaginary scenario of what's up and spread it as true since that place is willing to believe just anything out of spite.

the best way to shattered the glass? spread misinfomation to where nobody will bother to look back where it came from.
an interesting theory weaponized against an insider because they're scared about block man rumor slowly lining up

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
That was made up

someone random wanted to question Verge about it and wanted people to help get his attention about instead since he was in a new account
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77233375?page=20

Unfortunately, these people decided to spread it as fake news at the worse time possible.

people were digging the game and people i cluding Verge was downright confused over the newest Minecraft in Smash info.

somebody on 4channel /v/ even have a imaginary scenario of what's up and spread it as true since that place is willing to believe just anything out of spite.

the best way to shattered the glass? spread misinfomation to where nobody will bother to look back where it came from.
an interesting theory weaponized against an insider because they're scared about block man rumor slowly lining up
Several GameFAQs users always tend to spout a load of nonsense and giving Verge a hard time all the time.

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
imagine that DQ manga character got leaked for jump force while that we were sure that Erdrick from DQ would be in smash
You can't make this **** up anymore
Now we need the protagonist of the Blazing Sword manga for maximum what factor.

Last edited:

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
If Sora ends up being the Square rep, tomorrow would be the best day to announce him because:
  • Tomorrow is Smash's 20th Anniversary.
  • Kingdom Hearts 3 will be released on the 25th. (At least on Japan)
It is very unlikely but would be a really nice surprise announcement and way to celebrate Smash, while also promoting KH3.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
There's a contract involved for SE, but I haven't seen anything about them owning the name, where did you hear that?

We already have Cloud. A new series would appeal more (even if I'd love Tifa :))
DQ is pretty big, and disney aint easy to deal with for sora, so. It just sounds like youre upset.
Disney isn't the problem lol.

I genuinely believe Square is more a roadblock for Sora than Disney is. Disney and Nintendo partner all the time and they just did last year in some competition to win a switch or something. I thought they also aired the Nintendo World Championships and Evo on Disney XD so Disney isn't the problem.

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet
Disney isn't the problem lol.

I genuinely believe Square is more a roadblock for Sora than Disney is. Disney and Nintendo partner all the time and they just did last year in some competition to win a switch or something. I thought they also aired the Nintendo World Championships and Evo on Disney XD so Disney isn't the problem.
SE barely has any control as it is with a KH, the only controlling force SE has in regards to KH is Nomura... a man who is in very good terms with Sakurai and Smash

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
It's one thing to host a giveaway and to live stream something on TV. And its another thing to negotiate for a character they (possibility) own. Disney is very particular with how they like their characters portrayed.

Top Bottom