• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Because we know jack diddly squat about what Brave actually does and only have his stats to work with.
…Therefore if we don't know what he does with those stats, we don't have to focus on Erdrick necessarily, lol.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
And that's my problem with assuming it's ANYONE.

''THE STATS READ ERDRICK, EVERYONE SAYS ERDRICK. IT'S ERDRICK" does not equal Erdrick.

Nor does the codename.

Everything is assumptions at this minute.

And the biggest thing against all of this imo isn't even a ''BUT IT'S NOT -insert more requested character-" but rather the fact Square has legit made a mission to make their characters in crossovers not leak.

Assuming this is all leading up to Erdrick. They failed BIG time on this one.

And something about that? It just doesn't seem right. I'm not saying it's leakbait or misleading information or anything of the sort, but how did the company that kept Cloud, 2B, and Noctis mostly completely hidden (1 person called Cloud before), have Erdrick leak so horribly that he's the worst kept secret in Smash DLC history?

Like at this point he's even a worst kept secret than Roy and Ryu, because that was all dumped because it was found in the files and people were able to tell who it was by factors only due to that leak. Erdrick is a leak on a leak on a leak on a leak.

The produce department is officially out of stock and apparently all plumbers are dead when it comes to Erdrick. And that just seems so strange to me considering Square's track record with DLC crossover characters in fighting games.

D

Deleted member

…Therefore if we don't know what he does with those stats, we don't have to focus on Erdrick necessarily, lol.
There's not much to talk at the moment, but there's nothing to stop talking about other SE reps in the thread either. Sadly the discussions just keep repeating themselves.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
And that's my problem with assuming it's ANYONE.

''THE STATS READ ERDRICK, EVERYONE SAYS ERDRICK. IT'S ERDRICK" does not equal Erdrick.

Nor does the codename.

Everything is assumptions at this minute.

And the biggest thing against all of this imo isn't even a ''BUT IT'S NOT -insert more requested character-" but rather the fact Square has legit made a mission to make their characters in crossovers not leak.

Assuming this is all leading up to Erdrick. They failed BIG time on this one.

And something about that? It just doesn't seem right. I'm not saying it's leakbait or misleading information or anything of the sort, but how did the company that kept Cloud, 2B, and Noctis mostly completely hidden (1 person called Cloud before), have Erdrick leak so horribly that he's the worst kept secret in Smash DLC history?

Like at this point he's even a worst kept secret than Roy and Ryu, because that was all dumped because it was found in the files and people were able to tell who it was by factors only due to that leak. Erdrick is a leak on a leak on a leak on a leak.

The produce department is officially out of stock and apparently all plumbers are dead when it comes to Erdrick. And that just seems so strange to me considering Square's track record with DLC crossover characters in fighting games.
What if it's a leak on Nintendo's end and not Square's? Verge knows all the characters from Nintendo to Simon Belmont. What if it was Nintendo who dropped the ball here?

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice
What if it's a leak on Nintendo's end and not Square's? Verge knows all the characters from Nintendo to Simon Belmont. What if it was Nintendo who dropped the ball here?
Wouldnt be the first time they drop the ball. Remember what happend with the day before the Simon reveal?

D

Deleted member

Yeah they do make a good point in their post but that's my problem with the "SE never leaks anything" argument since there's multiple parties involved other than them

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I mean I suppose that's a possibility, but again I just can't see it happening.

I mean it obviously has if it is Erdrick, but that's the strangest thing keeping me from going from 60 percent it's a Dragon Quest character to full on 100 percent certain.

I entertained them intentionally leaking Erdrick to build up hype and discussion, but I mean that probably has backfired on them, because you've still got a large chunk of upset Geno fans or upset Sora fans or upset Final Fantasy fans who want more content from it. You don't win them over by going about it this way, so if it's that. That doesn't even make sense to me.

This would explain why Cloud leaked but not other SE crossover characters.
Cloud's 1 person who called him before his direct was a ResetEra insider with connections to SQUARE ENIX. Not Nintendo, so yeah.

Last edited:

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice

I mean it obviously has if it is Erdrick, but that's the strangest and thing keeping me from going from 60 percent it's a Dragon Quest character to full on 100 percent certain.

I entertain them intentionally leaking Erdrick to build up hype and discussion, but I mean that probably has backfired on them, because you've still got a large chunk of upset Geno fans or upset Sora fans or upset Final Fantasy fans who want more content from it. You don't win them over by going about it this way, so if it's that. That doesn't even make sense to me.
I think its wise not to be a 100% on anyone until we know for sure.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

I mean it obviously has if it is Erdrick, but that's the strangest and thing keeping me from going from 60 percent it's a Dragon Quest character to full on 100 percent certain.

I entertain them intentionally leaking Erdrick to build up hype and discussion, but I mean that probably has backfired on them, because you've still got a large chunk of upset Geno fans or upset Sora fans or upset Final Fantasy fans who want more content from it. You don't win them over by going about it this way, so if it's that. That doesn't even make sense to me.

Cloud's 1 person who called him before his direct was a ResetEra insider with connections to SQUARE ENIX. Not Nintendo, so yeah.
I don't think they would intentionally leak him to drum up hype. A surprise reveal complete with gameplay will always be much more exciting than a leak. Vergaben kind of ruined the Ridley reveal for me that way. I'm at about the same level of confidence about Erdrick though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't think they would intentionally leak him to drum up hype. A surprise reveal complete with gameplay will always be much more exciting than a leak. Vergaben kind of ruined the Ridley reveal for me that way. I'm at about the same level of confidence about Erdrick though.
SE actually has trouble selling DQ worldwide. They could actually do it just to add another DQ character instead.

It's not a good idea, but I wouldn't call them the paragon of good ideas either.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
My thought was also not only hype, but getting people in the West talking about him and actually knowing his name, which is ****ing hilarious to think about.

''They don't know him over there. Welp, better leak him so his name is everywhere and they're talking about him and they know his name before he's coming."

Because again Erdrick is kind of a nobody to a lot of people in the West. And that's not a strike against his icon status because he is one, it's just he's one for one side of the world and that's fine. That happens in all mediums.

D

Deleted member

I entertained them intentionally leaking Erdrick to build up hype and discussion, but I mean that probably has backfired on them, because you've still got a large chunk of upset Geno fans or upset Sora fans or upset Final Fantasy fans who want more content from it. You don't win them over by going about it this way, so if it's that. That doesn't even make sense to me.
The leak included the 7 characters on Vergeben's list, not only Erdrick, so I doubt it was an intentional leak if one character of the list was supposed to be the DLC character. Just the circumstances now seem to be pointing at Erdrick. If the list never leaked, people would still be speculating on who brave is and probably the SE link would not even be considered.

(Not to mention, there's always going to be angry fans no matter what)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice
I kinda hope that some of the characters on the 7 character list will be made into Mii Costumes, if they don't become figthers.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I bet it's entirely possible that "Brave" could mean Rico Rodriguez from the Just Cause series, which SE did help in, but I'm not banking on anything.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
My thought was also not only hype, but getting people in the West talking about him and actually knowing his name, which is ****ing hilarious to think about.

''They don't know him over there. Welp, better leak him so his name is everywhere and they're talking about him and they know his name before he's coming."

Because again Erdrick is kind of a nobody to a lot of people in the West. And that's not a strike against his icon status because he is one, it's just he's one for one side of the world and that's fine. That happens in all mediums.
That actually does make sense. All of a sudden the whole smash community knows Erdrick. That would still suck for Erdrick supporters from a certain standpoint. Like I said, a lot of the impact of Ridley was taken away for me (though it was still very exciting). It's disappointing to have the reveal of your most wanted spoiled.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That actually does make sense. All of a sudden the whole smash community knows Erdrick. That would still suck for Erdrick supporters from a certain standpoint. Like I said, a lot of the impact of Ridley was taken away for me (though it was still very exciting). It's disappointing to have the reveal of your most wanted spoiled.
It's more nerve wracking than anything lol. Like yeah it's looking likely but I'm still scared to go all in. (also, he's not quite my most wanted but i'm backing him just cause i love DQ a lot and will take any rep for it. but that's semantics lol)

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I feel like Sora's potential as a fighter is better used in a game like Dissadia instead of Smash Bros. It would compliment the nature of his games which include a lot of aerial combat. Putting that in Smash Bros feels incredibly awkward.

D

Deleted member

I feel like Sora's potential as a fighter is better used in a game like Dissadia instead of Smash Bros. It would compliment the nature of his games which include a lot of aerial combat. Putting that in Smash Bros feels incredibly awkward.
Funny enough, Dissidia actually started life as a KH game but apparently Disney didn't like having their characters (as in, the non-KH characters) in a fighting game. Though, currently, with Dissidia Arcade/NT, Nomura himself said that Sora wouldn't be added to it.
But, you're absolutely right lol. His fighting style would compliment Dissidia perfectly.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You could argue that about most fighters though, especially in the case of a character like Ryu or Bayonetta.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
You could argue that about most fighters though, especially in the case of a character like Ryu or Bayonetta.
Ryu feels like he fits Smash Bros but I would agree that Bayonetta feels weird. Her fair being a 3 hit aerial looks awkward. Putting that as 90% of Sora's moveset would make it super awkward. Making him a traditional fighter would make him Pit 3.

I don't believe that he would provide anything we and exciting to the table making the hassle of going to Square to negotiate with Disney and provide a discussion on a three way split on net income not worth all the hassle.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
SE actually has trouble selling DQ worldwide. They could actually do it just to add another DQ character instead.

It's not a good idea, but I wouldn't call them the paragon of good ideas either.
I can see them sitting in their offices as the character gets unveiled to the world, saying to themselves: "Please.. please like it this time"

I kinda hope that some of the characters on the 7 character list will be made into Mii Costumes, if they don't become figthers.
ngl erdrick would make a great mii swordfighter costume :shades:

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I actually enjoy they Erdrick and DQ talk.
Sure it puts us supporters in a spotlight we never dreamt of being in. But that's actually pretty cool. I like meeting fellow fans, and newcomer fans.

What I do feel bad about is people just going into the series because of Erdrick of all characters and jumping right in on his game. Just knowing which game he's from already ruins one of gaming's biggest plot twists.
It comes close to the Melee spoiling that Sheik is Zelda (because I hadn't played it all the way through), but tenfold for me personally.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I actually enjoy they Erdrick and DQ talk.
Sure it puts us supporters in a spotlight we never dreamt of being in. But that's actually pretty cool. I like meeting fellow fans, and newcomer fans.

What I do feel bad about is people just going into the series because of Erdrick of all characters and jumping right in on his game. Just knowing which game he's from already ruins one of gaming's biggest plot twists.
It comes close to the Melee spoiling that Sheik is Zelda (because I hadn't played it all the way through), but tenfold for me personally.
Regardless if Dragon Quest is represented or not, I will be giving the franchise a try some time down the road because of interest from possibly becoming represented in Smash Bros.

Any recommendations to play first?

D

Deleted member

Regardless if Dragon Quest is represented or not, I will be giving the franchise a try some time down the road because of interest from possibly becoming represented in Smash Bros.

5, 8, or 11 I recommend as the best for starters. Great introductions to the franchise.
3 also holds up very well to this day, but to some it still may feel a bit dated. However, it's still worth a shot, and when you get around to it I also highly recommend playing 1 before it. It's very simple but it's also the first JRPG so it's a given, and you can finish it in an afternoon if you dedicate yourself. You'll understand why playing 1 beforehand is such a good idea once you play 3.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

I'd suggest either playing the very first game, or Dragon Quest V for the Nintendo DS. While Dragon Quest 3 is fine on its own, it becomes so much better if you play the first two games before doing so. However if you only want to stick with one game rather than a set of three for the time being, DQV is the best one to start with. Aside from being a bona fide Dragon Quest game, with all the world exploration the series is known for, DQV also tells a really nice and warm story that has its characters go through personal emotional arcs that last the whole game. I think DQV in particular has something for everyone.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
One of my long-time desires is for Square Enix to just bite the bullet and make a crossover fighter with their own IP, including the Eidos stuff. They've got maybe the best franchise catalogue of any games company that's not Nintendo; it seems like such a waste not to do it. Don't try to tell me Final Fantasy vs. Dragon Quest vs. Tomb Raider vs. Deus Ex wouldn't sell copies. Shame about Hitman, really.

I wrote a bad, too-long post on that subject.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

I think DQ4 is a really solid entry to start with.

If you want an experience that feels like no jRPG you've played before (barring traditional mechanics) then jump right into DQ5. It's easily one of the best in every regarding.

If you want beautiful 3D immersive environments, and extremely likeable characters, DQ8 is another great choice.

And if you want to know what started it all, curious about the lore that almost every game in the series references, and see how far the genre has become while enjoying a few challenging adventures, then play 1+2+3. ... They say 2 is optional. But I say go for it either way.

Dynamic Worlok

One of my long-time desires is for Square Enix to just bite the bullet and make a crossover fighter with their own IP, including the Eidos stuff. They've got maybe the best franchise catalogue of any games company that's not Nintendo; it seems like such a waste not to do it. Don't try to tell me Final Fantasy vs. Dragon Quest vs. Tomb Raider vs. Deus Ex wouldn't sell copies. Shame about Hitman, really.
Not that it wouldn't sell, but square's already got a sort of crossover fighter in dissidia, and as for the inter-franchise crossover market, getting a piece of the smash pie is a much safer bet, considering it already sells like candy coated crack and has an established fanbase they can exploit. That's likely what they're banking on with dragon quest, should erdrick be the character they reveal.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I feel sad that the only time I have been 100% certain of something this Squenix cycle is that it's Erdrick.

I 100% believe, after examination with a critical eye, that Brave is Erdrick. Usually I leave room for doubt. Not here.

Dynamic Worlok

I feel sad that the only time I have been 100% certain of something this Squenix cycle is that it's Erdrick.

I 100% believe, after examination with a critical eye, that Brave is Erdrick. Usually I leave room for doubt. Not here.
Nothing's ever 100 percent without conclusive evidence, my dude
[obligatory statement extolling the likelihood of our lord and savior prince erdrick, the magnificent, master of all he surveys]

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Nothing's ever 100 percent without conclusive evidence, my dude
[obligatory statement extolling the likelihood of our lord and savior prince erdrick, the magnificent, master of all he surveys]
Unfortunately Brave is conclusive evidence for me. The stats match with at least one variation of Erdrick.
Hard to get more conclusive then Brave being the translation of your trademark class name.
Also, dudette.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
However if you only want to stick with one game rather than a set of three for the time being, DQV is the best one to start with. Aside from being a bona fide Dragon Quest game, with all the world exploration the series is known for, DQV also tells a really nice and warm story that has its characters go through personal emotional arcs that last the whole game. I think DQV in particular has something for everyone.
I honestly believe that if Dragon Quest V had been localized for the SNES, the DQ series would be in a much better place these days. It's still a great game, but back then I think it would've blown people's minds. Not likely to have been a big sales success, but I can easily see it developing a similar kind of cult following over time to the one Earthbound got.

Of course even if it did well (and then DQVI came out and also did well), the long wait for DQVII would've still killed the series dead for a while. Writing novels worth of sassy dialogue for Maribel just took 'em too long, and the PS1 generation was critical.

Not that it wouldn't sell, but square's already got a sort of crossover fighter in dissidia, and as for the inter-franchise crossover market, getting a piece of the smash pie is a much safer bet, considering it already sells like candy coated crack and has an established fanbase they can exploit. That's likely what they're banking on with dragon quest, should erdrick be the character they reveal.
Oh, I mean in addition to Smash, not instead of. With their own thing they could really dig into their (neglected) catalogue, bring out the deep cuts like Mischief Makers or Legacy of Kain, y'know? Never gonna see those in Smash.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Unfortunately Brave is conclusive evidence for me. The stats match with at least one variation of Erdrick.
Hard to get more conclusive then Brave being the translation of your trademark class name.
Also, dudette.
I use dude as a gender neutral. And Brave is a rather ubiquitous term that isn't reserved solely for dragon quest. Consider also that brave is used quite frequently in conjunction with final fantasy. Zodiac braves, crystal braves, braver (the limit break), bravery (the measure of attack power in dissidia), all the bravest (the one we dare not speak of), Brave (a stat in final fantasy tactics). You get my gist.
[Insert statement expounding on how erdrick is so likely it isn't even funny here]
(I may or may not be having more fun with this than I should)

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I use dude as a gender neutral. And Brave is a rather ubiquitous term that isn't reserved solely for dragon quest. Consider also that brave is used quite frequently in conjunction with final fantasy. Zodiac braves, crystal braves, braver (the limit break), bravery (the measure of attack power in dissidia), all the bravest (the one we dare not speak of), Brave (a stat in final fantasy tactics). You get my gist.
[Insert statement expounding on how erdrick is so likely it isn't even funny here]
(I may or may not be having more fun with this than I should)
Understood, but I would appreciate it if you could slip an "ette" in there when you refer to me specifically.
None of those things have the same weight on a character as the term Brave does for Erdrick.
Geno is a "brave" doll. That's a tiny part of his character.
"Brave" composes all of Erdrick's stats, his moves, what he can do, his most iconic niche.

Top Bottom