• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
keep in mind Anlucia/Luminary are pallet swaps said in both the rumors
pallet as in altered textures not swapped models like the acclaimed FemErdrick

don't mix this up please

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I just want to point out "they could change the stats" helps neither argument really. They could change Brave to be more Erdrick, but at the same time if we are putting changes into the possibility, then Brave could ALSO change to be even LESS like Erdrick. Arguing that it will change may be true, but it doesn't get us anywhere.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I never realized how much I wanted a Valkyrie Profile rep before just recently. Lenneth, Wylfed or Ancel would be my go-to picks if it got any recognition.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
*looks at anti-erdrick discussion*

*looks at pro-Erdrick poll*

Y'all are fickle.
Or maybe the pro-Erdrick people are just shy about actually voicing their opinions and prefer the lower-commitment (and lower-effort) expressive outlet of voting in polls.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Or maybe the pro-Erdrick people are just shy about actually voicing their opinions and prefer the lower-commitment (and lower-effort) expressive outlet of voting in polls.
Erdrick kind of got the Incineroar/Simon effect. Once they looked likely in the community; a lot of people jumped on the bandwagon just to be "correct".

D

Deleted member

I never realized how much I wanted a Valkyrie Profile rep before just recently. Lenneth, Wylfed or Ancel would be my go-to picks if it got any recognition.
Holy **** that really would be awesome
Pretty much. Most of us aren't putting in all our chips for him, even as likely as he may seem lol

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
This. It's sad how common this is these days.
To the point where every piece of potentially conflicting evidence must be qualified with "I still believe erdrick is likely"
I still think erdrick is likely, though.

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord
I don't blame Erdrick fans for being quiet, especially since everyone is stressed over rumors and leaks. Especially since the Erdrick support thread isn't very active.

Still, as big as Dragon Quest is, the poll is definitely an indicator of bandwagoning. The votes for the characters don't match up with typical popularity polls at all.

D

Deleted member

I don't blame Erdrick fans for being quiet, especially since everyone is stressed over rumors and leaks. Especially since the Erdrick support thread isn't very active.

Still, as big as Dragon Quest is, the poll is definitely an indicator of bandwagoning. The votes for the characters don't match up with typical popularity polls at all.
The question is "Who do you think is likely", not "Who do you want the most" though.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I mean, this really is looking to be the same thing that happened with Incineroar.

Verge walks in, says there's some kind of specific rep (a gen 7 Pokemon vs a SE character).

There is later trimmed down list of who it could be (NOT Decidueye, Mimikyu, or Lycanroc vs Square 7).

Something comes out that essentially affirms who it is ('it's Incineroar' vs a pretty clear 'Brave' codename).

This character is backed up by people in the know, and people initially accept 'oh okay it's this character.'

A short time passes, and something leads people to start jumping to conclusions and throw the words of every trusted leaker right out the window (faked panorama vs generally empty doubt).

We've even seen the same tired points about 'leakbait' thrown back and forth. With enough time to stew, people seem to just start assuming nothing actually means anything and make up their own explanations for what's going on.

Just because the data (which may or may not be subject to change) does not match your interpretation or Erdrick, doesn't instantly mean it's not Erdrick. Enough qualified leakers have said 'yeah it's a DQ hero' and the codename 'Brave' is so direct that you have to do some questionable mental gymnastics to just say it's not Erdrick.

Feel free to not count your chickens before they hatch and just remain uncertain, but to try and say 'naw dawg I think it's this character instead, why are ya'll even so certain it's Erdrick lol' is kinda silly at this point.

D

Deleted member

Remember that the poll is about which character is the most likely, not neccessarily which character you want to be in.

For a lot of people Erdrick is the most likely based on the current situation. We have a few things that favor Erdrick currently more than other character, and the evidence to prove the contrary is not enough.

Referring to a previous post, remember that by entertaining the possibility of a SE rep, we are accepting a list of potential SE reps that have been talked about which could end up being fake.

You guys are putting too much thought to poll results that might not neccessarily end up being true.

Poll is about likeness not about which character yoh like.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I mean, this really is looking to be the same thing that happened with Incineroar.

Verge walks in, says there's some kind of specific rep (a gen 7 Pokemon vs a SE character).

There is later trimmed down list of who it could be (NOT Decidueye, Mimikyu, or Lycanroc vs Square 7).

Something comes out that essentially affirms who it is ('it's Incineroar' vs a pretty clear 'Brave' codename).

This character is backed up by people in the know, and people initially accept 'oh okay it's this character.'

A short time passes, and something leads people to start jumping to conclusions and throw the words of every trusted leaker right out the window (faked panorama vs generally empty doubt).

We've even seen the same tired points about 'leakbait' thrown back and forth. With enough time to stew, people seem to just start assuming nothing actually means anything and make up their own explanations for what's going on.

Just because the data (which may or may not be subject to change) does not match your interpretation or Erdrick, doesn't instantly mean it's not Erdrick. Enough qualified leakers have said 'yeah it's a DQ hero' and the codename 'Brave' is so direct that you have to do some questionable mental gymnastics to just say it's not Erdrick.

Feel free to not count your chickens before they hatch and just remain uncertain, but to try and say 'naw dawg I think it's this character instead, why are ya'll even so certain it's Erdrick lol' is kinda silly at this point.
Brave is not nearly as concrete as you make it out to be. Reminder; Prior to his reveal most people thought that "Jack" was Raiden, not the Joker.

D

Deleted member

Brave is not nearly as concrete as you make it out to be. Reminder; Prior to his reveal most people thought that "Jack" was Raiden, not the Joker.
Codenames are not done the same way with each character. It is silly to assume they are going to follow a pattern with the codenames.

Just as an example: Refer to Persona 5 team members, some choose their codename because of their thief appearence and some other due to other factors like role in the team.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Codenames are not done the same way with each character. It is silly to assume they are going to follow a pattern with the codenames.

Just as an example: Refer to Persona 5 team members, some choose their codename because of their thief appearence and some other due to other factors like role in the team.
Are you reading someone else's post? The only pattern that I'm implying is that they are not as straight forward as we may think.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

Some people trust leakers, some people don't. Incineroar had much more backing than Erdrick does from insiders as well. People are allowed to disagree with you and predict other characters. You shouldn't discourage this kind of thing because then we just go back to only talking about Erdrick. More characters on the table means more discussion. Like, argue why Erdrick is likely, but not why anyone who disagrees is in denial.

Xigger

Smash Lord
For a lot of people Erdrick is the most likely based on the current situation. We have a few things that favor Erdrick currently more than other character, and the evidence to prove the contrary is not enough.
Is the evidence for Erdrick just most leakers repeating Erdrick, or was there something else? (I know one leaker got a game announcement right and also mentioned Erdrick)

And what about the stats evidence? Is that evidence less concrete than rumors, or does child Erdrick match with the stats?

D

Deleted member

Is the evidence for Erdrick just most leakers repeating Erdrick, or was there something else? (I know one leaker got a game announcement right and also mentioned Erdrick)

And what about the stats evidence? Is that evidence less concrete than rumors, or does child Erdrick match with the stats?
Tbh the stats matching Erdrick would be up in the air regardless of the stats. Being a character from a turn based RPG, carrying over stats like that into an action game would hardly be concrete and leave open many interpretations of what he would be like.

That said, I recall fatman saying the stats were similar to a zoner right? I could see Erdrick being one, focusing on a mix of offensive spells and weaponry.

D

Deleted member

Looking at stats and comparing to characters on the list is useless. Out of the list only 2 characters (Slime and Sephiroth) have been playable in crossover games and from those only one has appeared in a fighting game (Sephiroth) and one in an action game(Slime in Dragon Quest Heroes). For most of the characters in the list, they would need to take a lot of liberties and imagination to fill the moveset. Therefore its silly to say that a character fits or doesn't fit considering we are filling the blanks of their playstyle with our imagination and not Sakurai's.

Link could be considered a zoner or zoner-hybrid considering he has 3 proyectile/long-range moves and he has similar stats when compared to other swordmen, unless we have an idea of what the model looks like we don't have anything to go to predict movement at all (even worse if stats are placeholders).

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
And if we didn't already know Erdrick has been out in the wild for months now he'd probably be one of several candidates and we'd be very surprised when he was revealed.
He's only not surprising because he was leaked by other means. Not even so "straightforward".

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
if it's a DQ character i really think it will be Luminary..he just seems the type of character i can see them picking as DLC, besides his hair reminds me of Android 17 & Android 18 from dbz/dbs my fave characters of that anime so i wouldn't mind it haha

but personally i still really want Sora to make it! i get tired of people saying he can't make it cause of disney, nintendo has a good relationship with Disney so it's really not impossible.. but no one seem to know who Sora really belongs to..is it Disney? SE? both?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm more interested in Geno and Slime than I am with Erdrick.

Doesn't mean anything for who I think is more likely. Wants and Likeliness are two completely different things.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Well, Card Sagas Wars (a super-ambitious MUGEN project that ended up being scrapped) has Lenneth as a playable character, and given that game's style, you could get some decent ideas for a Smash moveset.

D

Deleted member

Is there still a way for Brave to be Slime? I have no idea if the height etc match up at all.
The height parameter seems to be used for another thing rather than the actual size. Still, with Slime you have a lot of liberty as you can always do a Slime Stack.

Last edited by a moderator:

Untouch

Smash Master
Is there still a way for Brave to be Slime? I have no idea if the height etc match up at all.
The overall stats look like they fit Slime, but I don't think that matters since they'll likely change before the character is released.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I know a lot of people think this is a Cloud situation, where Slime will not be chosen, but I think these are different situations. Cloud's competitors for the title of "mascot" all competed with each other, namely Chocobo, Moogle, and Black Mage. Whereas Cloud stood out from all of the other human characters, and was well known in both the west and Japan. Meanwhile, Slime is the singular mascot of Dragon Quest and probably the most well-known symbol of the franchise both in Japan and overseas. Whereas Erdrick is the one who's competing, with Eight, Luminary, etc.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
if it's a DQ character i really think it will be Luminary..he just seems the type of character i can see them picking as DLC, besides his hair reminds me of Android 17 & Android 18 from dbz/dbs my fave characters of that anime so i wouldn't mind it haha

but personally i still really want Sora to make it! i get tired of people saying he can't make it cause of disney, nintendo has a good relationship with Disney so it's really not impossible.. but no one seem to know who Sora really belongs to..is it Disney? SE? both?
You can clearly see Disney next to the copyright logo it's pretty obvious. If he is not in the fighter's pass i definitely think it is because he simply wasn't chosen.

StormC

Smash Hero
I know a lot of people think this is a Cloud situation, where Slime will not be chosen, but I think these are different situations. Cloud's competitors for the title of "mascot" all competed with each other, namely Chocobo, Moogle, and Black Mage. Whereas Cloud stood out from all of the other human characters, and was well known in both the west and Japan. Meanwhile, Slime is the singular mascot of Dragon Quest and probably the most well-known symbol of the franchise both in Japan and overseas. Whereas Erdrick is the one who's competing, with Eight, Luminary, etc.
How much is Erdrick "competing" with fellow humans though? Dragon Quest 3 is probably the most iconic and influential Dragon Quest game, if not JRPG, in Japanese pop culture.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Its not really a competition between DQ heroes, its just which ones do fans prefer, like it is with Belmonts. Erdrick is treated as the main one out of any of them but its pretty clear that he's not the first pick for everyone, especially not by the large margin that Cloud was for Final Fantasy.

D

Deleted member

How have things gone for Eight/Erdrick during my Fantastic Four Week abscense?

Top Bottom