• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

Sephiroth or Zidane would be good choices for FFVII and FFIX.

Talking about announcements, wasn't SE supposed to announce a stream with an unspecified January date for DQXIS? I wonder what happened to that. If its yet to be announced, I think its a bit late considering a third of the month just went by.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Talking about announcements, wasn't SE supposed to announce a stream with an unspecified January date for DQXIS? I wonder what happened to that. If its yet to be announced, I think its a bit late considering a third of the month just went by.
To be fair, we’ve known about DQXIS since like... the beginning of the Switch’s lifespan.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we somehow don’t get more info on it, considering we haven’t really gotten any in about 2 years.

But hopefully they announce something relatively soon.

I swear if they do this for Bravely Third too, I’m not gonna be very happy.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Disappointing that we still don't know 7 and 9's releases but hopefully they're coming soon after.

Between these games, DQ11, and hopefully a Persona 5 port, the Switch is gonna be a JRPG monster.
to be honest it already is but it's gonna be another good year to be an RPG fan

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
On one hand it's awesome that we have VII, IX, X/X-2, and XII coming to the Switch.

But on the other hand, DAMN THAT IS ALOT OF FINAL FANTASY TO INVEST TIME AND MONEY IN. And it sucks because I almost have reason to want any of them.

FFVII Is my favorite in the series.

FFIX is another favorite and I haven't played it as much as others in the series.

I never played the international versions of FFX so I could have a chance to tackle the optional challenges it offers (granted, I never did the monster Arena stuff in version I got in the first place...)

I hear the Zodiac version of FFXII vastly improves the game. I found vanilla FFXII to be very unimpressive, but I'm curious about the Zodiac one.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
On one hand it's awesome that we have VII, IX, X/X-2, and XII coming to the Switch.

But on the other hand, DAMN THAT IS ALOT OF FINAL FANTASY TO INVEST TIME AND MONEY IN. And it sucks because I almost have reason to want any of them.

FFVII Is my favorite in the series.

FFIX is another favorite and I haven't played it as much as others in the series.

I never played the international versions of FFX so I could have a chance to tackle the optional challenges it offers (granted, I never did the monster Arena stuff in version I got in the first place...)

I hear the Zodiac version of FFXII vastly improves the game. I found vanilla FFXII to be very unimpressive, but I'm curious about the Zodiac one.
I’ve played both XII and Zodiac. If XII’s core gameplay didn’t do it for you, Zodiac’s won’t either. It’s vastly improved but the base is still the same.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Tinfoil hat theory: Nintendo was hoping that Square Enix would have DQ11 for Switch in a ready state by now, and were going to reveal Erdrick for Smash along with other Square Enix announcements like the Final Fantasy port release dates. They didn't because Square Enix is having a project management epidemic (especially since Hajime Tabata, the guy who got them to finally buckle down and focus on FF15 enough to actually release it, recently left) and Nintendo pushed back the reveal, cancelling the Nintendo Direct and instead getting all the new announcements for their revealed on Twitter along with Square Enix's announcement.

I know it doesn't ACTUALLY work like that as I'm sure I'm gonna get some corrections, but I could believe it considering how much Square Enix is being pretty scattershot with stuff that isn't Kingdom Hearts 3. Though good on them for buckling down on THAT impossible game as well, especially after FF15 looked like it was in development hell for years.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, we’ve known about DQXIS since like... the beginning of the Switch’s lifespan.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we somehow don’t get more info on it, considering we haven’t really gotten any in about 2 years.

But hopefully they announce something relatively soon.

I swear if they do this for Bravely Third too, I’m not gonna be very happy.
I would agree, except SE announced at Jump festa that we were getting a stream at an specified date this month about a few more new features.

Oh and also quick update regarding Dragon Ball games, but it seems that on the 14th we have an announcement of DBFZ and XV2. Hopefully issues got resolved.

StormC

Smash Hero
My galaxy brain prediction is Erdrick will be revealed alongside Banjo-Kazooie at E3, because both are characters more popular in specific regions, much like Dark Samus and Chrom.

You heard it here first.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I would agree, except SE announced at Jump festa that we were getting a stream at an specified date this month about a few more new features.

Oh and also quick update regarding Dragon Ball games, but it seems that on the 14th we have an announcement of DBFZ and XV2. Hopefully issues got resolved.
Season 2 DLC for DBFZ.

Come on Arc System Works/Bandai Namco. We’ve been waiting long enough.

And for XV2, probably just more character DLC (I swear that game is never gonna die).

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
To be fair didn’t Bayonetta’s director deconfirm on twitter that Bayonetta would not be joining Smash Bros Wii U? And yet she was added in anyway, I’m not saying Master Chief is in, but it is a slight possibility.
no, that was Kamiya fuming at annoying twitter folks asking for Bayonetta and telling them to buzz off.
which was many years before DLC was even planned up

this is more of a "Matt shoots down Dante" situation, since this was after the base/DLC planning got finished

As a supporter of Master Chief in Smash, dude never had a shot in the first place. Tweet doesn't change that.
put me on board
as much i love to see Samus, Chief, and Doomguy on the same battlefield, he's gonna be a bit of a struggle to pull it off during the negotiation and consideration stages for Smash
he has the most decent longshot over any other MS character, not named Steve or Banjo, or a Sony IP at least.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Hmm, maybe we'll be getting a new FFVII or IX rep to go along with the announcement of such.

Also, these better be available physically.
FFVII and IX aren't available physically for decades. These will be a digital version like it has been on Steam and PS Store. See it as a Virtual Console treatment. Quite fitting, imo.

Also, yes, if there would be a good time to announce such a rep, it would be in a direct like this.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
FFVII and IX aren't available physically for decades. These will be a digital version like it has been on Steam and PS Store. See it as a Virtual Console treatment. Quite fitting, imo.

Also, yes, if there would be a good time to announce such a rep, it would be in a direct like this.
I could see limited run games maybe doing physical versions for them but thats a BIG maybe probably not tho

RandomAce

Smash Champion
NEWS FLASH:

More release dates have been announced on Twitter.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 is coming April 16
Final Fantasy XII is coming April 30
Nothing on Final Fantasy VII or IX

Literally all the comments:
Where the **** is the Direct Nintendo?
I feel like they internally delayed the direct but decided not to announce it after the **** show that happened in September where it was the longest week of our lives.

But these are small announcements no less. Feels like the bigger stuff are still in wraps and waiting to be shown.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
The latest word from that front was:
The Jan 10th thing came from Gaming Intel, but I also heard other people peddling it. I haven't heard anything from NoA. My source mentioned he heard about one sometime soon, but that didn't come from NoA, so I'm not quite sure. I would say that the resetera leakers such as LordKano are worth putting stock into since they keep reiterating that there is a direct next week. I think that's highly likely.

D

Deleted member

If we have a direct next week, I think its a more likely on Wednesdays or Thursdays as lately Nintendo seems to be transmitting them on those days. Intelgaming seems to have lost most credibility by now, unless something made the change of plans.

I could see it being either of them. Come to think of it, Zidane could fit the right height of those "Brave" stats as well.
Agility-wise, the brave current stats seem to fit Zidane but for some reason I can't see him being heavier than Cloud. Height seems to be something we don't quite understand as of yet how it is used as Untouch mentioned, it doesn't seem to indicate size of a fighter as other parameter is used.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
"Brave" an Echo Fighter of Cloud. His forward air is taken from his "Braver" Limit Break, and the only other FF7 character who uses the Buster Sword is Zack. He's in!

StormC

Smash Hero
I actually don't know how you would make Zidane an interesting Smash fighter, to be honest. He's literally just an RPG swordsman.

Maybe some sort of thief mechanic? I dunno.

D

Deleted member

That seems more like Final Smash territory.
He uses dual daggers or a twin sword. Which is a moveset that would not used by anyone else aside from Joker with a single dagger. Just like styles of fists there's a variety of swords they can implement.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
ZIDANE IS THE ****ING BEST

I HAVEN'T GOTTEN PAST 4 HOURS INTO FF9 BUT I LOVE THAT *****
Go finish that game.

He uses dual daggers or a twin sword. Which is a moveset that would not used by anyone else aside from Joker with a single dagger. Just like styles of fists there's a variety of swords they can implement.
The only thing I can think of is like, a down B where he switches between dual blades and a twin sword.

D

Deleted member

Wan't that just the new name for Limit Break?
It's similar, but not quite the same. Trance lasts for a few turns and gives the character access to abilities they wouldn't be able to use without it.
So, implemented into Smash I could see it similar to Cloud's Limit Break with a slower charge but a longer lasting effect, that changes his specials into his Trance abilities for a set amount of time.

Last edited by a moderator:

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, who the Square rep is going to be I think is all going to come down to whether it was Nintendo who approached Square asking for permission for a specific character first, or if Square was given free reign on their DLC character so that Cloud could get in the base game.

Actually, we may end up with multiple DLC characters from Square, depending on what they got in exchange for Cloud not being DLC...

D

Deleted member

Honestly, who the Square rep is going to be I think is all going to come down to whether it was Nintendo who approached Square asking for permission for a specific character first, or if Square was given free reign on their DLC character so that Cloud could get in the base game.

Actually, we may end up with multiple DLC characters from Square, depending on what they got in exchange for Cloud not being DLC...
What makes you think Nintendo and SE would push for different characters?

StormC

Smash Hero
Square are the goons who were surprised when Sakurai asked for Cloud and thought he would want a more modern character instead.

Top Bottom