• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
No gaming icon IMO will ever have the ''They never had a shot" truly apply to them.

That's what made people put Cloud Strife the face people associate with Final Fantasy in with the likes of Goku.

It's more honest to say that they are a little more complicated to achieve than to say ''Never had a shot."

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
No gaming icon IMO will ever have the ''They never had a shot" truly apply to them.

That's what made people put Cloud Strife the face people associate with Final Fantasy in with the likes of Goku.

It's more honest to say that they are a little more complicated to achieve than to say ''Never had a shot."
Yeah, but

He never had a shot

I'ma be 100 with you Fisher. After Geno, I hate to pretend any character had a shot in the first place. Just makes it suck even more.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Yeah, but

He never had a shot

I'ma be 100 with you Fisher. After Geno, I hate to pretend any character had a shot in the first place. Just makes it suck even more.
Geno's a little different though, sis.

He's beloved, but he's not the megawatt gaming icon Master Chief is.

The only reason Sakurai would jump through hoops for Geno is to respond to the fan demand.

Characters like Master Chief, Sora, etc. The ones people percieve as difficult and impossible? You jump through all their hoops not only for fans, but for his mission of making Smash the ultimate crossover of video game icons.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Geno's a little different though, sis.

He's beloved, but he's not the megawatt gaming icon Master Chief is.

The only reason Sakurai would jump through hoops for Geno is to respond to the fan demand.

Characters like Master Chief, Sora, etc. The ones people percieve as difficult and impossible? You jump through all their hoops not only for fans, but for his mission of making Smash the ultimate crossover of video game icons.
Characters like Master Chief also do not have a single appearance on a Nintendo console.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Characters like Master Chief also do not have a single appearance on a Nintendo console.
I think that doesn't matter as much as people think it matters. Cloud and Joker both got in through the roughest of technicalities to that rule.

That rule is one small step from being broken to the point I'm fairly certain it wouldn't exist if certain characters came onto the table for a Smash appearance.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I think that doesn't matter as much as people think it matters. Cloud and Joker both got in through the roughest of technicalities to that rule.

That rule is one small step from being broken to the point I'm fairly certain it wouldn't exist if certain characters came onto the table for a Smash appearance.
Joker got a whole-ass game on Nintendo, Persona Q 2 is half all about him
Cloud's made multiple Nintendo appearances
I'm just saying that Chief's lack of Nintendo appearances is a big restraining order

D

Deleted member

I don't think the lack of Nintendo appearances hurt Chief more than the lack of the Xbox brand presence in Japan.

But hey I think we're getting off the topic, hopefully we can get reveal of the SE rep soon so we can get create a MS rep general and start derailing there with the Sony rep.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Joker got a whole-*** game on Nintendo, Persona Q 2 is half all about him
Cloud's made multiple Nintendo appearances
I'm just saying that Chief's lack of Nintendo appearances is a big restraining order
Spin-off appearances though. That's my line of thinking. Their main games have yet to appear on a Nintendo system. Not yet at least.

If spin-off appearances count towards a prominent Nintendo appearance. What's to say as StormC said that a costume honoring Master Chief's legacy doesn't include Master Chief on the list of possibilities?

Whose to say Nintendo and Microsoft's close relationship wouldn't make them consider Master Chief? Sure, Steve makes a lot of sense more than Master Chief, but it doesn't negate the possibility either.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Spin-off appearances though. That's my line of thinking. Their main games have yet to appear on a Nintendo system. Not yet at least.

If spin-off appearances count towards a prominent Nintendo appearance. What's to say as StormC said that a costume honoring Master Chief's legacy doesn't include Master Chief on the list of possibilities?

Whose to say Nintendo and Microsoft's close relationship wouldn't make them consider Master Chief? Sure, Steve makes a lot of sense more than Master Chief, but it doesn't negate the possibility either.
I'm just not gonna get my hopes up even 1%.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
So theres all these rumours going around about

Ryu Hayubusa
Steve
Erdrick
Doomslayer

Has there been anything to Deconfirm it?

Cant really say Im feeling any of these characters except Ryu. I was really hoping Sora would join the fray this time around, but things dont be seem to be headed that way if this DQ character is pretty much confirmed.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Ryu Hayubusa
Steve
Erdrick
Doomslayer

Cant really say Im feeling any of these characters except Ryu. I was really hoping Sora would join the fray this time around, but things dont be seem to be headed that way if this DQ character is pretty much confirmed.
Nope. Zero news so far to confirm or deconfirm it.

D

Deleted member

Ryu Hayubusa
Steve
Erdrick
Doomslayer

When was that leak posted? And from who?
As far as I'm aware there's no reason to believe Hayabusa or Doomguy.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

Ryu Hayubusa
Steve
Erdrick
Doomslayer

Nothing deconfirms it.

But there’s also nothing that makes it any more likely than your standard fake text “leak”.

D

Deleted member

Ryu Hayubusa
Steve
Erdrick
Doomslayer

Realistically, the rumors from the insiders at the moment only point for a SE rep (which some leakers and insiders indicate being Erdrick) and Steve from Minecraft. The brave datamine has people thinking it confirms Erdrick but its something we just need to wait and see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

Ryu Hayubusa
Steve
Erdrick
Doomslayer

We were talking about it a few days ago. Basically, someone found out the guy who shared it said it came from reddit, even though there's no source to it ever happening, so people can only assume it's fake.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Ryu Hayubusa
Steve
Erdrick
Doomslayer

Something that could cast doubt onto this leak it is the fact that it has all 5 characters included as well as their reasoning

StormC

Smash Hero
Something that could cast doubt onto this leak it is the fact that it has all 5 characters included as well as their reasoning
This is why I fully disbelief it. It's way too much information for a random text leaker to have. Nintendo might as well fire the whole Smash team if someone was able to leak both the DLC roster and the reasons for their inclusion. These types of leaks are ALWAYS fake.

Remember the leak that had Gardevoir with a Gothitelle echo fighter that people believed because it had Richter on it?

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
This is why I fully disbelief it. It's way too much information for a random text leaker to have. Nintendo might as well fire the whole Smash team if someone was able to leak both the DLC roster and the reasons for their inclusion. These types of leaks are ALWAYS fake.

Remember the leak that had Gardevoir with a Gothitelle echo fighter that people believed because it had Richter on it?
100% My stance on this. Leaks explaining how characters are happening are always BS.

Untouch

Smash Master
https://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Sports_Mix

"Brave" being 101 weight makes a lot more sense for Slime than people may want to admit.
He's 5/5 strength in Mario Sports Mix.
The other characters in that game with 5/5 are DK, Wario and Bowser (who are all heavyweights in Smash Ultimate), the characters that are 1/5 are Peach and Diddy Kong (who are lightweights in Smash Ultimate).

975d98edb8cf1079ad945a7ee48ac552[1].jpg

Obviously I'm insane for comparing two different games but that's all we have right now and I've lost my mind.

Last edited:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace

"Brave" being 101 weight makes a lot more sense for Slime than people may want to admit.
The other characters in that game with 5/5 are DK, Wario and Bowser (who are all heavyweights in Smash Ultimate), the characters that are 1/5 are Peach and Diddy Kong (who are lightweights in Smash Ultimate).

View attachment 186274

Obviously I'm insane for comparing two different games but that's all we have right now and I've lost my mind.
101 is a pretty far cry from DK and Bower's 120+. I'll give you that it's pretty close to Wario's 107. But you know who it's even closer to?

Link's 104 or Cloud's 100.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace

View attachment 186274

Huh, that's interesting. Strength is different from weight, but I see what you're getting at.

However, since Slime is literally the easiest enemy to defeat in the games, I feel that Sakurai would make it really light to reflect that in Smash. Slime should be really easy to kill, that's sort of its thing.

That doesn't mean it couldn't have some strong attacks, though.

Edit: When I say this, I'm referring to regular Slime, not any of its variants.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, Sakurai seems to design characters based off of what they appear like just as much if not MORE THAN what they're actually like.

It would be pretty bizarre when characters like Kirby and Jigglypuff are light as they appear while Slime is as heavy as a full grown adult man.

Though, you could try to justify it with Slime being semi-permeable and attacks having a lesser effect on it, buuuuuut that's a bit of a stretch.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wouldnt put Sakurai above taking liberties with characters, Mewtwo in the pokemon games is above 100kg and in smash he is quite light.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Size and weight in Pokemon is really just a suggestion. I can't think of any Pokemon product that particularly respects those numbers.

A character like Slime is basically carte blanche to make whatever fighter you want, though. Simultaneously tons of material to work with and very little that you're obligated to include. Its proportions and properties could be basically anything and still work. I don't think it's very likely, but I'd be happy.

(also it'd be an excuse to throw in some music from Rocket Slime)

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

View attachment 186274

I mean
The stats could fit like a jigsaw puzzle

But the name doesn't, not in the slightest

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I mean
The stats could fit like a jigsaw puzzle

But the name doesn't, not in the slightest
I'd say it's pretty brave to take on a legendary hero and his posse decked out in magical gear when all you can do is nudge.

In some of the Dragon Quest Monsters games, King Slimes have the "hero" (yes, yuusha or "brave") skill, which gives them some Hero-like abilities like lightning magic. No, this doesn't actually mean anything. King Slime would be a great Assist Trophy, though, if that door weren't closed.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I'd say it's pretty brave to take on a legendary hero and his posse decked out in magical gear when all you can do is nudge.

In some of the Dragon Quest Monsters games, King Slimes have the "hero" (yes, yuusha or "brave") skill, which gives them some Hero-like abilities like lightning magic. No, this doesn't actually mean anything. King Slime would be a great Assist Trophy, though, if that door weren't closed.
Not to mention the fact that Joker's code is Jack, which is assumed to reference Atlus' Jack Frost mascot. So arguably any Dragon Quest character could be represented by the "Brave" code if its supposed to represent the DQ's Hero class.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
Totally forgot about this. Not proclaiming this as evidence, but I love the discussion surrounding leaks.

Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 1.36.18 PM.png

Sora does indeed have a 'Brave Form' in the Japanese Game. Just sayin'.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Totally forgot about this. Not proclaiming this as evidence, but I love the discussion surrounding leaks.

View attachment 186329

Sora does indeed have a 'Brave Form' in the Japanese Game. Just sayin'.
I'm all for this but I don't understand why they would go out of their way to reference a Drive form like this.

Especially because it doesn't line up with my moveset speculation and it makes me angry. :hulk:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
NEWS FLASH:

More release dates have been announced on Twitter.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 is coming April 16
Final Fantasy XII is coming April 30
Nothing on Final Fantasy VII or IX

Literally all the comments:
Where the **** is the Direct Nintendo?

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I'm all for this but I don't understand why they would go out of their way to reference a Drive form like this.

Especially because it doesn't line up with my moveset speculation and it makes me angry. :hulk:
Yeah like I said earlier, if Jack represents Jack Frost who is Atlus' mascot and Plant is incredibly on the nose then we're not looking for some obscure reference we're looking for a broad reference. So Brave (or as I understand it Hero is another way to translate it) would most likely be referencing the main character's class Dragon Quest or the name from the Bravely series or even a core aspect of the game like Brave Vesperia could reference the Tales series (though much more of a stretch.) But it likely just means its someone from one of those series not necessarily THE hero as Jack Frost doesn't directly reference Joker other than it being a Persona he can use.

For example for Sora you might have used Mouse, King, Heart, or Key. And those in theory would have worked for anyone from the Kingdom Hearts series.

I mean we don't exactly have much to go on but so far it doesn't seem like they really were trying to make some hyper obscure reference or anything to hide it.

StormC

Smash Hero
NEWS FLASH:

Disappointing that we still don't know 7 and 9's releases but hopefully they're coming soon after.

Between these games, DQ11, and hopefully a Persona 5 port, the Switch is gonna be a JRPG monster.

Untouch

Smash Master
Just doing (or trying to do) some research into what the "height" parameter actually changes.
I don't think it's related to the model scale because there is a scale parameter already in the game.

I'm thinking it may have something to do with the nametag position, just based on this...

i_dont_think_this_can_be_sora[1].png

Isabelle and Toon Link don't have the same sized models but have the same position for their nametags.
Unfortunately, since the nametags change position based on animation, it looks like there's more to it than that (if I were to guess, it compares the vertical position of a bone as well), so the only way to verify would be with modding which I can't do.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

NEWS FLASH:

I figured it wouldn't take *that* long for simple ports, but that's still cool to hear. Not sure if I want to double dip for FFXII but it's one of my favorite games so maybe I will.
Just doing (or trying) to do some research into what the "height" parameter actually changes.
I don't think it's related to the model scale because there is a scale parameter already in the game.

I'm thinking it may have something to do with the nametag position, just based on this...

View attachment 186332

Isabelle and Toon Link don't have the same sized models but have the same position for their nametags.
Unfortunately, since the nametags change position based on animation, it looks like there's more to it than that (if I were to guess, it compares the vertical position of a bone as well), so the only way to verify would be with modding which I can't do.
Honestly without a model or boneset it's quite difficult to truly determine the height of "Brave". There could things above them that aren't part of their skeleton like Isabelle's hairdo.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
NEWS FLASH:

Hmm, maybe we'll be getting a new FFVII or IX rep to go along with the announcement of such.

Also, these better be available physically.

Top Bottom