• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
The size thing makes me think slime or Geno. Remember, this character is both smaller than Mario and the second slowest character in the game. I don't see a Ness sized swordsman being that slow. But a Ness sized zoner, or a character without legs, those I could see. BD or Kid Erdrick would surely be faster at that size.

Untouch

Smash Master
I'll update when more is known, but apparently height as a stat is pretty inconsistent.
Bowser is 24
Ridley is 18
K Rool is 21
Samus is 18.

D

Deleted member

The size thing makes me think slime or Geno. Remember, this character is both smaller than Mario and the second slowest character in the game. I don't see a Ness sized swordsman being that slow. But a Ness sized zoner, or a character without legs, those I could see. BD or Kid Erdrick would surely be faster at that size.
With that weight if it were chibi Erdrick it would likely be with the full hero's armor
ErdrickArmor.png

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Plz no possible Chibi-Erdrick.

Flame me all you want, but Chibi-Erdrick is the worst design compared to all the other Erdricks imo.

Last edited:

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Bear in mind that speed is something that can change. Piranha Plant's did.

Plz no Chibi-Erdrick.

Flame me all you want, but Chibi-Erdrick is the worst design compared to all the other Erdricks.
I actually disagree because it reminds me of Toriyama's original Dragon Ball designs. Plus it'd set Erdrick apart from other "anime swordsman"

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Thank you Sig :"]

Don't make me imagine and hurt even more Fly
You know I never mean to hurt you...but I do find the Ness thing pretty interesting. It seems to rule out Yuri, thank goodness, but it might actually be an interesting point in favor of Slime (stack?), Geno, Chibi form of a Hero, Bravely, or...
Well...
Lloyd Irving was chibi in-game in Symphonia...

That said, wasn't Brave determined to be "M" or Joker/Cloud-sized? Or does this new info contradict that?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I know I'm in the minority, but I don't think it's Erdrick anymore. I think insiders are being fed leakbait, which makes more sense than everyone knowing who the square character is anyway. I think, based on the only actual hard evidence we have, being the datamine, the only two real candidates from the list are Slime and Geno. I was at 0% on both just a minute ago, but now I think it's one of them or someone from off the list. I'm probably leaning towards slime, but that may just be the pessimist in me because I really want Geno. Also RIP Sephiroth who I was also hoping for. (Although the last time I said that it was about Joker two days before TGA.)

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Although I prefer tall Erdrick, I'd be ok with the chibi version.

But I think that would sort of rule out Luminary, Analucia and heck, even female Erdrick. Although Toriyama could take a few liberties and make them chibi regardless, this is just a fan rule I made up because there's no art for any of the alts in chibi. (Even chibi Luminary from 3DS wouldn't be chibi enough).

But hey, as long as he's in! I won't judge him by his size.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You know I never mean to hurt you...but I do find the Ness thing pretty interesting. It seems to rule out Yuri, thank goodness, but it might actually be an interesting point in favor of Slime (stack?), Geno, Chibi form of a Hero, Bravely, or...
Well...

That said, wasn't Brave determined to be "M" or Joker/Cloud-sized? Or does this new info contradict that?
I do think the size thing is being blown out of proportion. You're right; they were said to be M sized.
Lots of contradictions going on.

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't think it's Erdrick anymore. I think insiders are being fed leakbait, which makes more sense than everyone knowing who the square character is anyway. I think, based on the only actual hard evidence we have, being the datamine, the only two real candidates from the list are Slime and Geno. I was at 0% on both just a minute ago, but now I think it's one of them or someone off the list. I'm probably leaning towards slime, but that may just be the pessimist in me because I really want Geno. Also RIP Sephiroth who I was also hoping for. (Although the last time I said that it was about Joker two days before TGA.)
Don't know if I can believe that they'd intentionally put a fake codename in their game, right next to a real codename (Jack for Joker), just to bait the leakers. Especially with the effort it took to find these names.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well...

I got a screencap of Ness and Cloud side by side for comparison's sake. The size difference isn't exactly huge so perhaps Brave is on the lower end of "medium".
20190108_172309.jpg

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
That size makes me think not Erdrick. Would they really go with kid Erdrick? As someone who isn't familiar with his icon status not being Japanese or a major fan of the series. Is Kid Erdrick the image of Erdrick that comes to mind for a lot of people when they say the word?

Untouch

Smash Master
Ok so while I was fooling around comparing heights because someone made a joke about brave being banjo I noticed this "height" statistic and saw brave was super short I started comparing these stats
Toon Link = 12
Young Link = 13
Ness = 13
Brave = 13
Mario = 14
Luigi = 15
Ike = 17.5 As you can see we can roughly tell that brave is a pretty short character, but heights pretty inconsistent due to idle animations and the like. for this reason characters like samus and ridley share the same height statistic. A lot of people are speculating this is erdrick using his kid design, or possibly even Slime or Geno
Metaknight is 9 and Kirby is 9.5.

So it doesn't seem like there's a direct linear correlation but there's something worth comparing here.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Will say though, that Brave size of 13 right between Ness and Mario does fit Geno.

It's not Geno, though, please don't cover your eyes; but it's an interesting observation.
Surprised they're going with Chibi Erdrick.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
That size makes me think not Erdrick. Would they really go with kid Erdrick? As someone who isn't familiar with his icon status not being Japanese or a major fan of the series. Is Kid Erdrick the image of Erdrick that comes to mind for a lot of people when they say the word?
It's not literally called kid Erdrick. It's his original design. Think Simon's NES design.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I do think the size thing is being blown out of proportion. You're right; they were said to be M sized.
Lots of contradictions going on.

Don't know if I can believe that they'd intentionally put a fake codename in their game, right next to a real codename (Jack for Joker), just to bait the leakers. Especially with the effort it took to find these names.
I don't think the codename is leakbait. I think it's just a generic placeholder that's meant to be vague and people are mistaken in taking it as a hint.

D

Deleted member

I don't get why people are acting surprised that Masahiro "always goes with the classic design for third party retro characters" Sakurai is using the classic design for a third party retro character
I know I'm in the minority, but I don't think it's Erdrick anymore. I think insiders are being fed leakbait, which makes more sense than everyone knowing who the square character is anyway. I think, based on the only actual hard evidence we have, being the datamine, the only two real candidates from the list are Slime and Geno. I was at 0% on both just a minute ago, but now I think it's one of them or someone from off the list. I'm probably leaning towards slime, but that may just be the pessimist in me because I really want Geno. Also RIP Sephiroth who I was also hoping for. (Although the last time I said that it was about Joker two days before TGA.)
Something something Incineroar

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Metaknight is 9 and Kirby is 9.5.

So it doesn't seem like there's a direct linear correlation but there's something worth comparing here.
So wait. Idle animations are taken into account when they speak of size numbers?

Would that make Wolf shorter than Fox due to his Battle stance?
Cause if that's how it goes, it fits Erdrick to bend his knees a little when standing on guard. Making him seem shorter than he really is.

I don't get why people are acting surprised that Masahiro "always goes with the classic design for third party retro characters" Sakurai is using the classic design for a third party retro character

Except Sonic. Unless we count him as current instead of retro.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

You're talking to someone who was #teamfake. The Grinch leak was a very different situation.

Untouch

Smash Master
So wait. Idle animations are taken into account when they speak of size numbers?

Cause if that's how it goes, it fits Erdrick to bend his knees a little when standing on guard. Making him seem shorter than he really is.
We don't really know what "Height" correlates to.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, people really shouldn't be surprised about classic Erdrick considering he always does classic designs.
And this does remind me of Incineroar. The possibility of Erdrick being leak bait, while obviously not out of the question, seems more like wishful thinking than anything else.

D

Deleted member

Except Sonic. Unless we count him as current instead of retro.
>Sonic
>Retro
DwBOKNTWsAA24XT.jpeg

You're talking to someone who was #teamfake. The Grinch leak was a very different situation.
People were calling Incineroar leak bait because "there was no way that'd leak". It's the same ****

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Yeah, people really shouldn't be surprised about classic Erdrick considering he always does classic designs.
And this does remind me of Incineroar. The possibility of Erdrick being leak bait, while obviously not out of the question, seems more like wishful thinking than anything else.
Except we know that Square actually does do leakbait. They said it themselves. After Cloud was kept under wraps I'm hesitant to believe they then botched this one so bad. And slime is my worst case scenario, and that's the one I'm learning towards. I would vastly prefer Erdrick.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It's not literally called kid Erdrick. It's his original design. Think Simon's NES design.
I am aware of that. What I am asking is do people think of him like that when they think of ''OH I LOVE ERDRICK" or do they go for the taller more adult looking Erdrick in their minds?

Because Sakurai always goes with the most iconic recognized look for a gaming icon.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Guys please
As one of the big "Incineroar might be out there to catch leakers with a noticeable, specific claim" guys
You should stop now.
You're hurting yourselves.
You're grasping for straws when evidence points to a fairly obvious conclusion.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
What if it's older Edrick but he's crouching like a lot
''Mr. Sakuari, Erdrick broke his spine on the way into the Smash Mansion and we're not sure what to do...should we still allow him to participate?"

Sakurai not wanting to be ableist: Yeah, sure why not?!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Erdrick could be leakbait, afterall the insiders haven't seen any proof, but "brave" matching Erdrick and Vergeben most-commonly hearing Erdrick and Luminary together (and hearing Slime from one person, maybe some SE employees are being told Slime) makes me think we're getting DQ at least.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Guys please
As one of the big "Incineroar might be out there to catch leakers with a noticeable, specific claim" guys
You should stop now.
Isn't it more logical to be skeptical rather than go 100% on anything; regardless of the character? Even though there's a lot of strong evidence, it's not like what happened with Ryu or what happened with Simon. There's still room for error.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Guys please
You should stop now.
All the "evidence" for Erdrick is insiders saying it's him. I never completely trust leaks. Not the Grinch leak, not the insiders now, not even Verg. The only thing we have that's "evidence" is the actual datamined stats for the character, and they don't line up with Erdrick.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Every time this message board uses the word leakbait, I remember the countless times when people kept on saying how Incineroar was leakbait during the Grinchleak craze.

Last edited:

-Coco-

Smash Ace
All the "evidence" for Erdrick is insiders saying it's him. I never completely trust leaks. Not the Grinch leak, not the insiders now, not even Verg. The only thing we have that's "evidence" is the actual datamined stats for the character, and they don't line up with Erdrick.
Except they do?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Except they do?
I can't imagine Erdrick being both Ness sized and the second slowest character in the game.

Sidenote, you guys are doing the exact same thing #team real people got critisized for. Remember "something something photoshopped little Mac"? Just because something was suggested previously and was wrong does not mean that it will be wrong in every situation. You can't just assume no company will ever use leakbait because Incineroar wasn't leakbait.

Top Bottom