• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Capcom 7:
-Phoenix Wright
-Leon S. Kennedy
-Chun-Li
-Arthur
-M. Bison
-Dante
-Viewtiful Joe

I want them all. :(

D

Deleted member

Insider here, can confirm that instead of releasing the DLC characters normally, Nintendo will instead make a list of characters for each slot, with one of these characters being randomly chosen for you upon buying the dlc. There is no way to access the other characters on the list. Sources tell me Nintendo did this due to quote “epic reception” to the square list.

jokermelee

Smash Apprentice
If we're getting Ryu, I wonder if Sakurai will go for the classic blue garb or the more modern black suit.
I like the blue suit better I feel the black suit is more iconic at the moment.
View attachment 185025
i think Sakurai will go with the old design being his blue garb, with his modern black suit being an alt. he's done this with both Cloud and Bayo so i think he'll keep going with that idea for other 3rd party characters if he can

D

Deleted member

If we're getting Ryu, I wonder if Sakurai will go for the classic blue garb or the more modern black suit.
I like the blue suit better I feel the black suit is more iconic at the moment.
View attachment 185025
I think black suit would be the default with classic suit as an alt. Like you said, it’s probably more iconic and Ryu has appeared in the black suit more often than the blue suit iirc.

Last edited by a moderator:

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
i think Sakurai will go with the old design being his blue garb, with his modern black suit being an alt. he's done this with both Cloud and Bayo so i think he'll keep going with that idea for other 3rd party characters if he can
Now that you mention it, he could do that for everyone on that list. Hell, the leak already mentions alts for Erdrick and Doomguy, so why not:

Erdrick: Male and Female (and maybe those two alts)
Hayabusa: Blue and Black
Steve: Steve and Alex (maybe assorted skins or something)
Doomguy: Classic/N64 and Reboot

I don't trust any leak that claims to know ALL the reps. Sorry. Not realistic.
I know this leaks gonna turn out to be fake, but it's fun to talk about so whatever.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I don't trust any leak that claims to know ALL the reps. Sorry. Not realistic.
This is why I hope to god none of you are actually taking this leak seriously.
It's very fun to discuss, and even disregarding the leak could be somewhat like our final DLC roster.
But even the top insiders got no idea who 3 of the reps are.

D

Deleted member

Bandai just owns the Dark Souls trademark, while From owns the actual IP. It’s why they had to say that Slashy Souls is technically not an official Dark Souls game. If by some miracle a Dark Souls character got into smash, Bandai would likely just say “yeah you can use the dark souls name” while From does all the negotiating and communicating.

Last edited by a moderator:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Hmm... seems like everyone’s pretty set on Erdrick being the Square rep.

Time to insert some skepticism!

But seriously though, even though I can see Erdrick being the Square rep now, I’m nowhere near 100% believing it.

More backers, especially notable ones, do help, but until I see evidence that guarantees Erdrick’s inclusion, I’m gonna remain skeptical.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I can see why Erdrick would be the Square Rep, but I don't think he's the Square rep now because everyone is soooooooo certain of him.

I don't think for a second Square would let their card slip out like that. Especially when he's going to be a big deal for Japan if he gets in.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn’t say that Erdrick is practically in, I’m not that confident, but I would be surprised if it’s anybody other than him. Feels like he has so much going for him.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I don't think for a second Square would let their card slip out like that. Especially when he's going to be a big deal for Japan if he gets in.
Vergeben and co. have already mentioned the Square character list wasn't even meant to be leaked out of fear of people getting fired. Things not going according to plan can always happen.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Also Erdrick is such an ugly name for a female character.

If in? First male/female avatar character I would probably give a try as a male if I was interested.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

If in? First male/female avatar character I would probably give a try as a male if I was interested.
Erdrika!

Yeah? ... Y- Yeah?

Okay, maybe not, but at least female Erdrick be a real cutie, though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

I kind of like Loto as a name better. >.>

But I know what the canon name is for all regions generally, so... though Roto kind of sounds feminine?

D

Deleted member

The name was originally Loto/Roto, which sounds a lot more androgynous (and cooler, honestly). Erdrick is the name used in localized versions.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
The only thing I get out of hearing "Loto" is that someone can't make good names after flowers.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Now that Tansut has essentially tossed his hat into the Erdrick ring, I'm almost positive that Leakypandy's info was, on some level, legit since that's the only leak that fits everything that we now know that they had reason to be upset about.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
The name was originally Loto/Roto, which sounds a lot more androgynous (and cooler, honestly). Erdrick is the name used in localized versions.
Not to mention, they're both, Erdrick and Roto, a title, not a name.

According to the latest manga,
Arel
is his/her canon name.

Although I've started calling female Erdrick, Erdricka as off late.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know, all this leakbait talk makes me wonder: what if Gematsu didn't have outdated info but his source was given outright bait to catch the leaker?

Untouch

Smash Master
The biggest red flag for the leak to me is the Steve part.
They mention that Steve was intended to be base roster, which I don't think is real but could be possible.
The problem is, the 5 DLC was chosen very early, which means that one piece of DLC would have to be cut out, which very VERY likely did NOT happen.

edit: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't suggest it's still real but Erdrick was cut, that didn't happen.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
The biggest red flag for the leak to me is the Steve part.
They mention that Steve was intended to be base roster, which I don't think is real but could be possible.
The problem is, the 5 DLC was chosen very early, which means that one piece of DLC would have to be cut out, which very VERY likely did NOT happen.
I honestly think a possible delay in favour of DLC could explain why Hitagi and Vergeben knew about Minecraft content since pre-release, and why they both stand at it still happening.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I honestly think a possible delay in favour of DLC could explain why Hitagi and Vergeben knew about Minecraft content since pre-release, and why they both stand at it still happening.
Here's one theory I can think of why they're claiming Minecraft content if they're sincere: Minecraft content (like, say, an Ender Dragon boss) was intended for the base game, but Sakurai decided during DLC selection to make Steve a DLC fighter and then quietly removed or delayed development on the Minecraft content so that it would be released later alongside Steve.

Untouch

Smash Master
That's why I think the "leaker" put it there.
The Vergeben leaks are talked about on 2ch so I do believe they'd know about them.

I just think that 5 characters were always planned, and moving one of the base characters to DLC would mean that one of the 5 DLC characters would need to be scrapped to make room, Piranha Plant is free DLC afterall, and isn't a part of the fighter pass.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
That's why I think the "leaker" put it there.
The Vergeben leaks are talked about on 2ch so I do believe they'd know about them.

I just think that 5 characters were always planned, and moving one of the base characters to DLC would mean that one of the 5 DLC characters would need to be scrapped to make room, Piranha Plant is free DLC afterall, and isn't a part of the fighter pass.
IMO, if any Character was cut from base, it's Piranha Plant.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Coming in for it as well.
Happy New Year, everyone! See ya tomorrow (or in a few hours depending on motivation and timezone).

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Everyone here wishing everyone a Happy New Year.

Yet I’m still stuck in 2018.:(

Anyway Happy New Year to everyone!

(Maybe I’ll change up my profile pic once the new year reaches me)

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Everyone here wishing everyone a Happy New Year.

Yet I’m still stuck in 2018.:(

Anyway Happy New Year to everyone!

(Maybe I’ll change up my profile pic once the new year reaches me)
We'll catch up with the rest of the world
Happy new years yall
tumblr_nn7ermAuo71s5wiico1_500.gif

Top Bottom